What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

I had twelve songs nobody else selected, only one of which (Changes by David Bowie) was a surprise. Yet due to the fact that my list included 6 of the group's top ten (Gimme Shelter, Into the Mystic, Comfortably Numb, A Day in the Life, Solsbury Hill and Waterloo Sunset), I ended up as the third chalkiest.

By these standards:

* 2 of the top 10 songs
* I appear to have 11 songs not shared w/ anyone, tho I believe it's 10.

Per the 'chalk list,' (someone explain to me?), I end up mid-pack, less chalky than Pip, which makes no sense at all, given he's forgotten more about music in the last week than I've known in my lifetime.

Looking forward to the "countries that have not been the primary source of imperialism in the last 200 years" contest.

I had twelve songs nobody else selected, only one of which (Changes by David Bowie) was a surprise. Yet due to the fact that my list included 6 of the group's top ten (Gimme Shelter, Into the Mystic, Comfortably Numb, A Day in the Life, Solsbury Hill and Waterloo Sunset), I ended up as the third chalkiest.

Per the 'chalk list,' (someone explain to me?)
Remember how each song got a point total? So if a song got a first-place vote for 31 points, a second-place vote for 30 points, and no other votes, it would have a point total of 61. Adding up the point totals of all the songs you picked gives you your chalk score. A higher score means you had a lot of songs that were picked (and probably ranked high) by other people, so your list is "chalk," and a lower score means most of your picks were not picked by others, so your list is "not chalk." We were both in the middle.

@timschochet made me a lot chalkier by taking two songs I figured would end up only on my list, Let My Love Open the Door and Loving Cup.
Speaking of which, Let My Love Open the Door was the only Townshend solo song to appear. I thought we might see more from Rough Mix, Empty Glass, All the Best Cowboys... and/or White City. But everyone went all-in on The Who instead.

Similarly, only one Robert Plant solo song, Big Log, appeared, despite him having a successful post-Zep career.

By these standards:

* 2 of the top 10 songs

Per the 'chalk list,' (someone explain to me?), I end up mid-pack, less chalky than Pip, which makes no sense at all, given he's forgotten more about music in the last week than I've known in my lifetime.

Looking forward to the "countries that have not been the primary source of imperialism in the last 200 years" contest.
Where is this 'chalk list' you speak of?

By these standards:

* 2 of the top 10 songs

Where is this 'chalk list' you speak of?
The spreadsheet link at the top of post 2, or here (see bottom, third sheet from the right).

Just wait for the catch-all countdown.
….that may never happen if no one volunteers to run it.

IF we can get @Krista to do it I think we should all donate to the charity of her choosing.

🙏

Or, maybe bribe her with this?

4 Krista4
Weird that he has a guitar
I think that's not Ringo, that's George. It certainly looks more like George, no matter what the description says.

welp - bummer ...it's over - really loved this one - there's so much out there we could easily do it again in awhile - and no song taken can be taken again

not saying let's start tomorrow or anything - but it would still create a very cool and different playlist.

whadaya say gang??? let's put on a show!!

meanwhile - looks like I had 13 songs not taken by anyone else ...and only 1 artist no one else took - Culture Club bitches!!!

1Tin SoldierSmall Faces31Y1
2Moonage DaydreamDavid Bowie30Y1
3Where To Now St. Peter?Elton John29
4Locomotive BreathJethro Tull28Y3
5Yours Is No DisgraceYes27Y1
6Tales Of Brave UlyssesCream26Y2
7What Is LifeGeorge Harrison25Y3
8KashmirLed Zeppelin24Y4
9Abbey Road MedleyThe Beatles23Y3
10Sabbath Bloody SabbathBlack Sabbath22
11Highway StarDeep Purple21Y2
12Holidays In The SunSex Pistols20
13Gimme ShelterThe Rolling Stones19Y8
14Baba O'RileyThe Who18Y8
15London CallingThe Clash17Y4
16TemptedSqueeze16Y4
17SquonkGenesis15
1820th Century BoyT. Rex14
1910538 OvertureElectric Light Orchestra13
20Paper SunTraffic12
21Church Of The Poison MindCulture Club11
22Shapes Of ThingsThe Yardbirds10
23No More HeroesThe Stranglers9
24All The Young DudesMott the Hoople8Y3
25Tuesday AfternoonThe Moody Blues7
26ConquistadorProcol Harum6
27AlisonElvis Costello5
28Maybe I'm AmazedPaul McCartney4Y1
29Would I Lie To YouEurythmics3Y3
30More Than ThisRoxy Music2Y3
31Personal JesusDepeche Mode1Y1

Time

I don't know for certain this is my favorite Floyd. I think there's a 20 song tie at the top of my list. I love Wish You Were Here, but it wouldn't be part of the tie. it's a good one, but it isn't what makes Floyd Floyd. Hell, even I can play the chords (after a dozen youtube tutorials and my 4th attempt in this life to learn guitar).

I chose Time because it seemed the best of the songs that fully encompass what I love about the band. The intro with fancy alarm clocks. The droning ominous bass notes setting the mood. Roger's message quickly followed by yet another great, tasteful and toneful perfect David solo. The soaring female backup singers. On Dark Side Roger's message(s) were more poetic than Animals.

You are young and life is long,
and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run,
you missed the starting gun
And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun

but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath
and one day closer to death

I interpret this as Roger writing about his yet revealed Sheep. Somewhere in my recent deep dive he said he wanted to be more direct with Animals. Just say it plainly (without the focus on poetic lyrics). He has a similar message for his dogs.

You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

Anyway, I miss my daily playlist already, and thought I'd something more to say.

Last edited:
welp - bummer ...it's over - really loved this one - there's so much out there we could easily do it again in awhile - and no song taken can be taken again

not saying let's start tomorrow or anything - but it would still create a very cool and different playlist.

I like it. We could even do a combined US and British Isles Only Leftovers. But I've been working on my Catch All list. Gonna get irie some this time. I have 5 songs ready to go. :)

I like it. We could even do a combined US and British Isles Only Leftovers. But I've been working on my Catch All list. Gonna get irie some this time. I have 5 songs ready to go. :)

I've thought through this a lot, and I'm worried that because of the ineligibles from the US and UK, when added to places like Canada and the Antipodes, other countries are going to get short shrift in the catch-all. Almost thought it would be worth doing separate countdowns with the ineligibles. But it seems like some people already have their lists, so even if that were a good idea (I'm not certain), that ship has likely sailed.

I also wonder if we might want to break these up (especially since no one has volunteered to run the catch-all) and do another draft first instead, like the Beatles/Dylan cover or whatever.

I've thought through this a lot, and I'm worried that because of the ineligibles from the US and UK, when added to places like Canada and the Antipodes, other countries are going to get short shrift in the catch-all. Almost thought it would be worth doing separate countdowns with the ineligibles. But it seems like some people already have their lists, so even if that were a good idea (I'm not certain), that ship has likely sailed.

I also wonder if we might want to break these up (especially since no one has volunteered to run the catch-all) and do another draft first instead, like the Beatles/Dylan cover or whatever.

I started mine, but could pivot depending on what is decided. I don't think I was hit as much by the ineligibles with US/UK connections as much as some others (and only a few from Canada that I listen to); so, the majority of mine were outside US, UK, and Canada.

A few random songs that I had on my original list before I pared things down.

Ed Sheeran - Perfect - I'm linking the version with Bocelli which I know would not be eligible but I just love it. For my wife
Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - so cheesy but just a prototypical 80's song and it's impossible not to dance to it.

ETA - I didn't fully vet the rest of my list so if one of those last two isn't eligible oh well.

Please just let me know which countdown or draft this is eligible

omg.

I have never seen this and could not have imagined that anything like it ever existed.

Just wait for the catch-all countdown.
….that may never happen if no one volunteers to run it.

IF we can get @Krista to do it I think we should all donate to the charity of her choosing.

🙏

Or, maybe bribe her with this?

4 Krista4
Weird that he has a guitar
I think that's not Ringo, that's George. It certainly looks more like George, no matter what the description says.

Yeah, this is the first one I found but it was Canadian Ebay, I think?

Real Ringo

WTF? How am I going to resist renting that movie tonight?

Data that may possibly be interesting to somebody:

# of songs in Favorites:
Dr. Octopus: 8
Doug B, simsarge, Sullie: 6
8-way tie for 5

Overall, I had 43/44 drafters get at least one favorite. Which speaks more to the scattershot nature of this, considering I wasn't aiming for it. It likely helped that most of the days had 5 selections.

The one left out? landrys hat. Not because I disliked the list. I mean, we shared two songs, so that would be ridiculous. I'm not sure that I have any rhyme or reason for this. Though I suppose it helps that he did well in:

# of songs from didn't know (before any selections were revealed):
Mrs. Eephus 10
titusbramble 7
landrys hat, Oliver Humanzee : 6
7-way tie for 5

This one had 37/44 drafters on it. Partially because of fewer selections (usually 3-4 to Favorites' 4-5). Though I'm sure that some people had, you know, largely known songs, which is not a bad thing. This, perhaps not surprisingly, also means that Mrs. Eephus showed up the most when combining the lists.

Stuck in the Middle Award(s): Eephus and simey, for having 5 on both lists. simsarge was close, with 6 Favorites and 4 "unknowns".

Time

I don't know for certain this is my favorite Floyd. I think there's a 20 song tie at the top of my list. I love Wish You Were Here, but it wouldn't be part of the tie. it's a good one, but it isn't what makes Floyd Floyd. Hell, even I can play the chords (after a dozen youtube tutorials and my 4th attempt in this life to learn guitar).

I chose Time because it seemed the best of the songs that fully encompass what I love about the band. The intro with fancy alarm clocks. The droning ominous bass notes setting the mood. Roger's message quickly followed by yet another great, tasteful and toneful perfect David solo. The soaring female backup singers. On Dark Side Roger's message(s) were more poetic than Animals.

but it's sinking
Shorter of breath

I interpret this as Roger writing about his yet revealed Sheep. Somewhere in my recent deep dive he said he wanted to be more direct with Animals. Just say it plainly (without the focus on poetic lyrics). He has a similar message for his dogs.

Just another sad old man

Anyway, I miss my daily playlist already, and thought I'd something more to say.
I have a weird relationship with Floyd. I love them yet I put up 0 songs. Cause with a couple exceptions I don't listen to them on shuffle. It's cover-to-cover albums or not at all. Hey you and Comfortably Numb are the only ones that are still on my shuffle. With hindsight I should've picked one, but given my weird relationship with them I didn't even give them a thought.

Time

but it's sinking
Shorter of breath

Just another sad old man

I have a weird relationship with Floyd. I love them yet I put up 0 songs. Cause with a couple exceptions I don't listen to them on shuffle. It's cover-to-cover albums or not at all. Hey you and Comfortably Numb are the only ones that are still on my shuffle. With hindsight I should've picked one, but given my weird relationship with them I didn't even give them a thought.
I never tire of Floyd.
Time

but it's sinking
Shorter of breath

Just another sad old man

I have a tendency to listen to the same stuff over, and over.......so I listen to Floyd all the time still. Maybe its a comfort thing, I dunno?

I didn't pick Comfortably Numb because it's the obvious choice. Its the Pink Floyd song everyone knows. But there is a reason why.....

These lyrics have always been beautiful, and haunting to me.....

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone

I didn't pick Comfortably Numb because it's the obvious choice. Its the Pink Floyd song everyone knows. But there is a reason why.....

When I was a child
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I love Gilmour’s solos as well. Also I like that Waters and Gilmour split the vocals between the manic doctor and dream state Pink, respectively.

Is it their most popular song? I’d say Money or Another Brick in the Wall. It’s surely a big one though so not sure it matters.

When I was a child
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I love Gilmour’s solos as well. Also I like that Waters and Gilmour split the vocals between the manic doctor and dream state Pink, respectively.

Is it their most popular song? I’d say Money or Another Brick in the Wall. It’s surely a big one though so not sure it matters.
Yea, i'd call those 1a, 1b, and 1c....and throw in Wish You were Here as 1d for good measure

You can't stop us on our road to freedom
And you can't stop us 'cause our eyes can see
Men with insight, men in granite
Knights in armor intent on chivalry

Users who are viewing this thread