What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned in till the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie you get sucked into.
I got sucked into one of those Lifetime movies a couple months ago. It was about a woman who moves to a smallish town, and she is a fitness instructor, but she hustles as a prostitute on the side.
What was the name in case I... um, I mean my wife... wants to check it out?

ETA: Or I could just google it. Great description, simey.

Holy... I thought she was joking!

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned in till the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie you get sucked into.
I got sucked into one of those Lifetime movies a couple months ago. It was about a woman who moves to a smallish town, and she is a fitness instructor, but she hustles as a prostitute on the side.

That's the one!

About 42% of these LT movies star Lynda Carter. Or so I’ve read.

My Idiots #29

Doug

Valerie – Amy Winehouse
This is a really good cover. I remember I was in Wilmington, NC when she died. I wasn't surprised that it happened, but I was saddened by it. I remember she couldn't get through some shows, because she would be so messed up on stage. She was so talented, and I really dug her r&b vibe. It's too bad she couldn't overcome her addictions in time to save herself.

Only a word away from being a perfect zambonism.

yes - although maybe you could say "Tommy" isn't classic rock.
Yeah Tommy might be a bit too experimental for a pure classic rock label. I personally never could fully get into. Quad rules though.
I was listening to Tommy this morning too. It didn't click quite as much as others for me and I forgot just how messed up the story and album are. For me it's Quad first, with Who's Next a very very close second.

Only a word away from being a perfect zambonism.
Hopefully not your final acclaim.

Christopher Cross has said that if he had come on the scene two years later -- when MTV was new, ascendant, and influential -- he could never have gotten a foothold in the music business. He didn't feel he had the look for music videos, and that that would have stopped him from getting on the radio.

Christopher Cross has said that if he had come on the scene two years later -- when MTV was new, ascendant, and influential -- he could never have gotten a foothold in the music business. He didn't feel he had the look for music videos, and that that would have stopped him from getting on the radio.
Neither did Dire Straits but that’s why you get a good director for your video and they can make anyone look cool.

Neither did Dire Straits but that’s why you get a good director for your video and they can make anyone look cool.
Insert obligatory Billy Squier reference here...

LOL and a bad director can make even a somewhat cool artist look ridiculous.

That video is so bad, especially for the time period. The kicker is Squier kind of knew it, and was hesitant to release it but got pressured by the record company's arbitrary deadline. He should have been a little stronger because that thing altered his career.

That video is so bad, especially for the time period. The kicker is Squier kind of knew it, and was hesitant to release it but got pressured by the record company's arbitrary deadline. He should have been a little stronger because that thing altered his career.
I also think that the album and its songs weren’t as good either. He clearly was hitting a decline in his career. Also, he changed producers for that album and it had a lot more synths and strings. I think the video was kind of reflection of his getting away from the core sound that made him popular in the first place and he was probably on the road to alienating his core fans anyway. The video just accelerated that.

Three-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Child In Time - Deep Purple
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Would I Lie To You - Eurythmics
(new song)

worrierking:

Time Passages - Al Stewart
(new artist)

titusbramble:

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
(new artist)

simey:

Planet Queen - T. Rex
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

White Wedding - Billy Idol
(new artist but see below)

Don Quixote:

Concrete And Clay - Unit 4+2
(new artist)

MAC_32:

This Year's Love - David Gray
(new artist)

timschochet:

Child Of The Moon - The Rolling Stones
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Imagine - John Lennon
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Daybreak - The Stone Roses
(new song)

jwb:

Love Is Like Oxygen – Sweet
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Connected - Stereo MC's
(duplicate – second vote)

Dr. Octopus:

Girls On Film - Duran Duran
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Breakthrough - Atomic Rooster
(new artist)

shuke:

Mad World - Tears for Fears
(new artist)

Manster:

Roads (Live Roseland NYC) - Portishead
(new artist)

scorchy:

Valerie - Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
(Ronson – new artist; Winehouse – new song)

Sullie:

West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

The Wolf - Mumford & Sons
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

One Of The Boys - Mott the Hoople
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Roundabout – Yes
(new song)

higgins:

Love, Reign O’er Me - The Who
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

To Hell With Good Intentions – Mclusky
(new artist)

simsarge:

Fox On The Run – Sweet
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Long Distance Runaround – Yes

landrys hat:

Animal - Def Leppard
(new artist)

Westerberg:

Pink Moon - Nick Drake
(new artist)

Eephus:

Siberian Khatru – Yes
(new song)

rockaction:

You Don’t Know Jesus – Mogwai
(new artist)

falguy:

Alone Again - Gilbert O'Sullivan
(new artist)

Hov34:

Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand

zamboni:

Blue Highway - Billy Idol
(new song based on artist being chosen above)

Doug B:

Young Turks - Rod Stewart
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Careless Whisper - George Michael

Val Rannous:

Ballroom Blitz – Sweet

Chaos34:

Lord It’s A Feeling (orchestra version) - London Grammar
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

Zombie – The Cranberries
(new artist)

Zegras11:

One More Time - Joe Jackson
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Whiskey In The Jar - The Dubliners
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Do They Owe Us A Living? - Crass
(new artist)

Mrs. Eephus:

The Passion Of Lovers - Bauhaus
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

There She Goes - The La's

cosjobs:

Teacher - Jethro Tull
(new artist)

krista4:

Fairytale Of New York - The Pogues (feat. Kirsty MacColl)

Five votes:
Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

Four votes:
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

Two votes:
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

One vote:
She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Tell Laura I Love Her - Ricky Valance
A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Song 2 - Blur
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
Time Of The Season - The Zombies
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears

Wild Thing - Troggs
Bang A Gong (Get It On) - T. Rex
Freedom '90 - George Michael

You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

Onto my project I keep putting off because it's too hard. I have no idea how Krista and others do these countdowns of bands they love. I am trying to figure out my top 31/36 Radiohead songs and this is brutal. I made a dumb decision to start in on the B-sides first, and I should have just done album releases. I forgot how many B-sides I love, and wrote down 15+ from that listen.

I just listened to one song 4x in a row, so I think at least that one should make the cut. :lol:

@falguy , when I put a "version" in parentheses, I'm just noting it because whoever sent it did, but I wouldn't put that part in the title for your purposes.

LOL and a bad director can make even a somewhat cool artist look ridiculous.

But those satin sheets must have been so comfy at the time.

• Laughing
Reactions: jwb
Just Win Baby:

zamboni:

Underrated Idol here...and that album is near perfection. Not the last we'll see of Billy Idol, I guarantee.
White Wedding and a few other big hits on that album typically get the airplay, but I’ve always liked the lesser known Blue Highway. Steve Stevens absolutely shreds here.

Just Win Baby:

zamboni:

Underrated Idol here...and that album is near perfection. Not the last we'll see of Billy Idol, I guarantee.
White Wedding and a few other big hits on that album typically get the airplay, but I’ve always liked the lesser known Blue Highway. Steve Stevens absolutely shreds here.
Off the top of my head, I thought WW was on the same album as Blue Highway. On second thought I remembered it's not. It's on his self titled first album.

Spotify has a couple/few live Billy Idol albums and they feature good versions of Blue Highway.

Users who are viewing this thread