What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

I never saw Deliverance and nothing about what anybody tells me suggests that it would be a rewarding watch.
It's difficult and very 70's.
It's just a canoe trip gone wrong.

On the downside: steeped in some pretty nasty stereotypes of rural White southerners.

Upside: Impeccably acted, shot, and directed. Burt Reynolds is fantastic. Hard to believe Ned Beatty's debut. Jon Voight is great in his vulnerability as well. As is Ronny Cox. The four of them are all excellent. Insistent feelings of dread throughout.

Some new to me favorites

Hurdy Gurdy Man - I didn't know this one by Donovan. It's far out.
I took this in G4 and at least 1 other draft.
DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO MY PICKS??!!
Well, I can't speak for other drafts - but I know damn well you didn't listen to all 178,349* songs taken in GP4 either, bub. ;)

( *yes, made up exaggerated number)
Says the guy who couldn't remember one of his own picks (Nine Feet Underground). :laugh:
Touche

When I was in grade school, there was this large family of children, and their parents were caretakers of the graveyard. Their house was also located right beside the graveyard, and they were known as the graveyard kids. Their gene pool had too much chlorine in it or not enough, and it was mainly the girls that looked sorta funky. I rode the bus with the kids in junior high, and they were nice and I liked them. They got bullied sometimes, especially the girls, and that made me mad. Anyway, one of the girls (Angie) that was picked on the most entered the high school talent show. I prayed that she wouldn't be horrible. She sang Smoky Mountain Rain by Ronnie Milsap, and she was good! My sister was in the talent show too. She played the piano and her and her friend sang The Rose. She did that weird piano face she does. :lol: Anyway, I saw one of the graveyard sons all grown up about five years ago, and he was hot.

Believe it or not, I saw Deliverance in my Catholic HS a sort of a Film Studies class. We all knew about the squeal like a pig part and thought it would funny. The movie was so well made that by the time we got there nobody was laughing. Quite a movie but one I’ve never revisited. Kind of like Requiem for a Dream or Trainspotting in that once was enough.

New-to-me favorites from #25:

The Light Pours Out of Me -- Magazine (Eephus). I knew that this band existed and that it was formed by the original lead singer of The Buzzcocks, but I'd never heard any of their material. This was revelatory. Goth on steroids, basically.
She Does It Right -- Dr. Feelgood (Worrierking). Forthright and tuneful. I can see how this was influential to scenes that emerged a few years later.
Always the Sun -- The Stranglers (Doc Oc). Another band I've known of for a long time but have not heard much of their stuff. This was more melodic than I expected and it was quite enjoyable.
Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman -- Budgie (KarmaPolice). As I said before, it's a copy of the first two Zep albums, which are a copy of the blues, but I could listen to that stuff all day.

I have not seen Deliverance and have no plans to.

I saw three concerts with my father and stepmother that I can remember: Neil Diamond, James Taylor and the Joshua Redman/Christian McBride/Brian Blade trio.

I think that's all the non-music topics from this thread that I hadn't weighed in on yet.

It's an incredibly well made film and very grim.

Meanwhile, I love Ronny Cox's assessment of the other guys in the movie - I didn't realize it was his first film as well, but it was. This is from an AV Club interview last year (yes, he's still around, too).

"Ned and I, we were best friends then and would remain best friends until his death. Ned was maybe my closest friend in the film business. Burt was the most helpful guy because he knew that Ned and I knew nothing about filmmaking. He was a prankster and stuff like that, but he was just the greatest guy in the world. Jon Voight’s an idiot. So, what can I tell you?"

I’ve seen 3 Boorman films in my life: Deliverance, Excalibur, and Hope and Glory. I enjoyed them all. I think they should all be watched on a very big screen, as they’re quite cinematic films.

Hope and Glory is excellent.

I'm a little late in the post today as it's my first day at my new job that I've had for 9-1/2 years, so there's a lot of paperwork. Since I'd like to get paid, that has been my priority. Starting on the post now! (I put it all together the night before, but it still takes a little while to add the links when they're not already hyperlinked, re-check the punctuation and spacing, etc.). Be back shortly.

Pip’s Invitation:

Every Picture Tells A Story -- Rod Stewart
(new song)

This was the last song that made my list -- before I decided on an order. Looking up and down at what I had chosen, I decided that Rod, and particularly something from Every Picture Tells a Story, needed to be represented. It's one of my favorite albums and every track is immensely compelling. The leadoff title track, probably the most dynamic tune on the record, is my favorite from it at the moment. It simply insists upon itself in a way that I can't resist.

My next three selections have commonalities with each other but not so much with the rest of my list.

"The French police wouldn't give me no peace"

stupid French ...

This morning I reviewed the playlist from yesterday. 7 pointers.
Really enjoyed this round. Probably less than 5 songs that I don't really like.

Known
Hov34:Ooh La La – Faces (I whiffed on this one, probably should have been on my list)
Val Rannous:In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry (see above)
MAC_32: Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones (one of my favorite Stones songs)
Yankee23Fan:Brain Damage/Eclipse – Pink Floyd
Doug B:No One Is To Blame – Howard Jones
shuke:In The Meantime - Spacehog
AAABatteries:Friday I'm In Love - The Cure (a late cut from my list)

Limiting the knowns to 5 was very difficult. So difficult, as a matter of fact, that I didn't.
Could have easily placed 10 more here too.

Unknown
worrierking:She Does It Right - Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Octopus:Always The Sun - The Stranglers
Just Win Baby:Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
Westerberg:Head On - The Jesus and Mary Chain
Mister CIA:Long Tall Glasses - Leo Sayer
Chaos34:Happy When It Rains - The Jesus And Mary Chain
zamboni:The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen
landrys hat:Keep In The Dark - Temples
timschochet:High On a Hill - Kate Rusby

I couldn't even limit these to 5.

I know some of these were selected previously but I'm not listening to the playlists in order since I missed so many earlier ones.

Also realizing I should have done more research before submitting my list. Seeing many great songs that I know that I never even considered. :(

Eight-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Valerie - Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
(duplicate – third vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
(new song)

worrierking:

That's Entertainment - The Jam
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Legacy – Mansun
(new artist)

simey:

Mama Weer All Crazee Now – Slade
(new song but see below)

Just Win Baby:

Strange & Beautiful (I’ll Put A Spell On You) – Aqualung
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
(new song)

MAC_32:

Smack My ***** Up - The Prodigy
(new artist)

timschochet:

Proof - I Am Kloot
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

My Sweet Lord – George Harrison
(new song but see below)

Hawks64:

Love Spreads
– The Stone Roses
(new song)

jwb:

Living On A Thin Line – The Kinks
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Night Fever - Bee Gees
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Misunderstanding - Genesis
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse
(new song)

shuke:

Tales of Brave Ulysses - Cream
(new song)

Manster:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead
(new song)

scorchy:

Angel - Massive Attack
(new artist)

Sullie:

My Sweet Lord – George Harrison
(duplicate – second vote today!)

Andy Dufresne:

Kayleigh - Marillion
(duplicate – second vote)

Mister CIA:

Mama Weer All Crazee Now - Slade

Mrs. Rannous:

Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day - Jethro Tull
(new song)

higgins:

Secret World (from Secret World Live) - Peter Gabriel
(new artist but see below)

The Dreaded Marco:

The Shining - Badly Drawn Boy
(new artist)

simsarge:

Here And Now - Del Amitri
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Here Comes The Rain Again – Eurythmics
(new song)

landrys hat:

Zombie - The Cranberries

Westerberg:

Coffee & TV – Blur
(new song)

Eephus:

Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Ian Hunter
(new artist)

rockaction:

Ace Of Spades – Motorhead

falguy:

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Hov34:

Do I Wanna Know? – Arctic Monkeys

zamboni:

Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck
(new artist)

Doug B:

No More Lonely Nights - Paul McCartney
(new song)

NOTE TO @Hawks64 : there are a few versions of this song, and no version was specified or link provided, so choose what you'd like. :)

Ilov80s:

The Modern Leper - Frightened Rabbit
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
(new song)

Chaos34:

War Pigs - Black Sabbath
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Sign Of The Times – Harry Styles
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
(new song based on artist being chosen above)

AAABatteries:

Rock The Casbah - The Clash

Oliver Humanzee:

Rid Of Me – PJ Harvey
(new song)

Mrs. Eephus:

Teddy Picker - Arctic Monkeys

ditkaburgers:

Never Had A Dream Come True - S Club 7
(new artist)

cosjobs:

Glad - Traffic
(new artist)

krista4:

The Grand Parade – The Reindeer Section
(new artist)

The Deja Vote on "My Sweet Lord" isn't a surprise, but the Slade song. :lol: Love that.

We introduced Peter Gabriel and Arctic Monkeys today with two songs each.

Zeppelin still nowhere to be found. Did you guys decide they're not eligible or something?

By the way, ready to hazard any guesses as to the only person in the first 10 lists not to have The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or The Rolling Stones? :lol:

Way behind but 7 pointers I liked:

@Pip's Invitation Every Picture Tells A Story -- Rod Stewart - probably my favorite Rod Stewart song.
@New Binky the Doormat Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues - probably my favorite Moody Blues song
@worrierking She Does It Right - Dr. Feelgood - new to me. Peppy.
@simey How Soon Is Now? - The Smiths - Not that into The Smiths but I always liked this one
@KarmaPolice Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman - Budgie - new to me and man did I like this. Went right to my gym playlist
@Sullie Rock the Casbah - The Clash - their best
@Mister CIA Long Tall Glasses - Leo Sayer - Always fun.
@Mrs. Rannous Rock Of Ages – Def Leppard - junior year of high school. Love this song.
@ditkaburgers Connection - Elastica - new to me - this was great. Definitely a band I'll dive deeper into

There's more (including some that I picked) but we'll leave it at that today

krista4:

The Grand Parade – The Reindeer Section
(new artist)

My pick today is more about time and place than about the quality of the song (though I think the song is gorgeous). Being a Belle and Sebastian fan and, as we learned yesterday, a Snow Patrol fan, I was thrilled in 2001 to find that members of those two bands plus a host of other Scots – among them Mogwai, Teenage Fanclub, Arab Strap, and Idlewild – had formed a supergroup. If you look here, you can see why I was cursing myself during the vetting process – there are ~582 people in this band. The band’s first album, Y’All Get Scared Now, Ya Hear!, was very good, but it was their second record, Son of Evil Reindeer, that became my jam.

Circa 2000, I had bought some ridiculous expensive speakers – an earlier version of these Vienna Acoustics in rosewood. To this day they might still be the most expensive non-house-or-car single item I’ve ever bought. When Son of Evil Reindeer came out, I was going through a tough time (breakup with the first Mr. krista), and I would lie on my back, in the dark, in front of these speakers and listen to this album, and in particular the song I chose above. It was such an emotional experience and an integral part of my life at the time that it came to be that everyone who was ever at my house – friends, dates, literally anyone I knew – was forced to experience this with me. Lie on your back on the floor, in the dark, with your head pointing toward the Vienna Acoustics, fire up “The Grand Parade,” and simply take in the beauty and power of the song. Sometimes we’d lie there and listen to just this one song over and over again. It was as spiritual a ritual as I’ve had in my adult life.

This is probably not the best song on the album, but it’s the one that has the most meaning to me. Since no one else is taking this artist, I’ll list a couple of my other favorites: You Are My Joy and Your Sweet Voice, though be forewarned that the latter’s lyrics are emotionally brutal. The album is best when listened through as a whole, though.

I invite you all to listen to my selection today while lying on your back, using headphones or some great speakers, and taking the sound in without distraction. Small warning that the song starts off softly and kicks in a lot louder about a minute in.

Eight-Point Selections:

Manster:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead
(new song)

falguy:

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Ilov80s:

The Modern Leper - Frightened Rabbit
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Oliver Humanzee:

Rid Of Me – PJ Harvey
(new song)
Of the songs I know well these are my favorites today.

LOVE the Frightened Rabbit song and very happy to see them make an appearance.

Doug B:

(new song)

NOTE TO @Hawks64 : there are a few versions of this song, and no version was specified or link provided, so choose what you'd like. :)
You picked the version that opened Side 1 of the Give My Regards To Broad Street LP, which is basically the single-release version most commonly heard on the radio. The CD version of that album opens with a version that's 31 seconds longer ... so David Gilmour's outro solo is 1:50 or so instead of 1:20 or so. Either version is A-OK for the playlist.

There is also a "playout" version, usually listed as "No More Lonely Nights (Playout)". This is essentially a different song altogether -- mostly the same lyrics, but very different in style. I did not pick the 'playout' version for this exercise -- I want Gilmour's solos in there..

simey:

Mama Weer All Crazee Now – Slade
(new song but see below)

jwb:

Living On A Thin Line – The Kinks
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Mama Weer All Crazee Now - Slade

higgins:

Secret World (from Secret World Live) - Peter Gabriel

Val Rannous:

Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
(new song)

Zegras11:

More Slade Riot! Yes!

Living on a Thin Line is a terrific song.

It doesn't seem possible that Solsbury Hill came out in 1977. It's timeless and I love it. The other song by PG is a great one too, and I like that version.

Doug B:

(new song)

You picked the version that opened Side 1 of the Give My Regards To Broad Street LP, which is basically the single-release version most commonly heard on the radio. The CD version of that album opens with a version that's 31 seconds longer ... so David Gilmour's outro solo is 1:50 or so instead of 1:20 or so. Either version is A-OK for the playlist.

There is also a "playout" version, usually listed as "No More Lonely Nights (Playout)". This is essentially a different song altogether -- mostly the same lyrics, but very different in style. I did not pick the 'playout' version for this exercise -- I want Gilmour's solos in there..
@krista4 Give My Regards to Broad Street drunken liveblog?

Yeah, I'm rather familiar with all the versions. Chose one with the Gilmour solo as I suspected you'd want that. :thumbup:

If others could help with notes on the vetting process, it would be beneficial.
Based on the ineligible members Krista has listed for Traffic, that makes the following albums eligible:

@zamboni
Thanks - I might have seen it early on and didn’t refer back later. No biggie.

I invite you all to listen to my selection today while lying on your back, using headphones or some great speakers, and taking the sound in without distraction. Small warning that the song starts off softly and kicks in a lot louder about a minute in.

ok, i just did exactly that. Like you mention, I have a good 2-channel system with some sweet speakers and the recliner positioned just so - you can really get lost in it (and I often do)

This song was excellent. Really fills the room and just washes over you. Very cool.

it was my son's birthday yesterday and had all the family in so I missed "sportsball chat"

I grew up in a suburb of Dayton, OH - which is a little under an hour from Cincy. Lived and died baseball - loved the Reds and went to my first game in '63 at Crosley Field. Got to see Rose, Perez, Bench, Griffey, etc as rookies through the years and of course - the Big Red Machine heyday. Still believe that was the best offensive line up in baseball history - and their pitching wasn't shabby either. Shame what's happened to the smaller cities these days with the money. Little to no chance for places like Cincy and Pittsburgh.
I had a massive baseball card collection - and the full 7-11 Slurpee baseball All-Star cup collection (and many dups).

The Bengals did not exist when I was little and we rooted for the Browns - with Jim Brown, Frank Ryan, Paul Warfield, Gary Collins and Leroy Kelly. They were dominating - but the NFL wasn't nearly as big a deal as baseball like it is today. The Bengals came about when I was 10 and got pretty good quickly - making the playoffs in their 3rd year. Went to a few games over the years - and I have been a fan ever since of both the Bengals and the Browns ...if I had to choose one - it would be the Browns because of their history of misery. I also lived in NE Ohio for a number of years as an adult and experienced the Browns environment first-hand. Horrible stadium though.

College football was gigantic and most everyone around all of the state were Ohio State fans. Those were the Woody Hayes days with the "3 yds in a cloud of dust" offense that beat USC with OJ Simpson for the national championship. They had a quarterback, Rex Kern, that threw so little that he became a defensive back for the Colts. Helluva run with Ohio State and great players - and still going. I'm still a big fan, and been to many games - but not a screaming psycho like some of them. Don't like Meechegan, but don't hate'em either - except when they have ruined SO many title seasons by beating us in the last game of the regular season.

Peewee football was a pretty big deal, but nowhere near baseball. You had to be 5th or 6th grade to play - so most of us baseball kids signed up and we played other towns. It's hilarious to look at the program (gotta dig it up and post a pic). No weight classes, so you had a ton of us at a whopping - height 4' 6" and 60lbs :D . Meanwhile there were still kids at 5' 10" 190lbs. I was a dinky kid and played WR and CB (almost zero passing ...so you just shot in from the side - lots of tackles, loved it). Was on the team in junior high - but the coach never played me because he didn't know me and I was so teeny ...he didn't realize what a superior athlete I was.

Basketball wasn't a big sport for kids like baseball but University of Dayton had been and was a basketball powerhouse and very popular - they were carried by local TV a lot. I started playing at 9 and went to Don Donoher's (UD coach) week long basketball camp for 6 summers. Played for our school team all through school - but wasn't good enough to play college - and as a 5" 9" can't jump guard - it wasn't going to work. Always had nice basketball hoop on the garage and lucky enough to have a rather long and level concrete driveway. Man, I spent many, many hours playing and just shooting - regardless of weather. Loved college basketball and ran many a NCAA Nerf Hoop tourneys every March.

I was a lot less into the NBA - and like football, it wasn't anywhere near what it became. We did have the Cincinnati Royals until around 7th-8th grade with Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas but the Celtics were about the only thing on TV. I liked them, and John Havlichek (Ohio State guy) but really followed college ball. Though did read one of my two favorite sports books in 9th grade called "Foul" that was about Connie Hawkins and his life. It opened my eyes about college/pro ball as much as "Ball Four" did about the MLB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread