What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

I was thinking of offering to do the next one - AFTER A BREAK - but with my inability to do formatting, it wouldn't work.

@Memphis Foundry can you please look into this? TIA.

Thank you! It seems that after the issue that a lot of people faced on Wednesday, if you just clear your cache it works. For now, at least. :)

Well crap, does that mean I volunteered to run the next one now? :lol:
Don't want to brag, but I know who your top artist will be.

I'm sure I'll have one or two songs that come from partially eligable/already-seen bands. But for the most part, I'll be going into new territory. And save for one guy I'll probably stick to one per.
I think this will end up being the case for most.

I’d have to grab a few bands who’s entire catalogs were deemed ineligible like Queen or Van Halen but wouldn’t be looking to squeeze in songs from an English or American band that was already well established in the other two threads but had an album or two ineligible (i.e Traffic, Yes). I’m not saying there’d be anything wrong with that but I’d want to get Mexican, Canadian, German, etc. acts/songs in there as well.

I think these may be the more interesting playlists given the diversity and flexibility this round.

I was thinking of offering to do the next one - AFTER A BREAK - but with my inability to do formatting, it wouldn't work.

@Memphis Foundry can you please look into this? TIA.

Thank you! It seems that after the issue that a lot of people faced on Wednesday, if you just clear your cache it works. For now, at least. :)

Well crap, does that mean I volunteered to run the next one now? :lol:

Our plan worked! Nice job guys!

I'm sure I'll have one or two songs that come from partially eligable/already-seen bands. But for the most part, I'll be going into new territory. And save for one guy I'll probably stick to one per.

I’d have to grab a few bands who’s entire catalogs were deemed ineligible like Queen or Van Halen but wouldn’t be looking to squeeze in songs from an English or American band that was already well established in the other two threads but had an album or two ineligible (i.e Traffic, Yes). I’m not saying there’d be anything wrong with that but I’d want to get Mexican, Canadian, German, etc. acts/songs in there as well.

I think these may be the more interesting playlists given the diversity and flexibility this round.
So is it "official" that the next draft is basically any artist/band that was ineligible for the UK/US drafts?

So is it "official" that the next draft is basically any artist/band that was ineligible for the UK/US drafts?
Not sure but that’s what it started as. Krista made a suggestion, but within the post stated that some people had started their lists already so we’d probably just stick with it.

There wouldn’t really need to as much vetting in this next one, but everyone really should self-vet anyway.

My suggestion would be in addition to the song and the artist we should also submit why it’s eligible here (i.e. “British Band, American Singer”; “Japanese”, “Mexican”; “Mexican and US”; “it’s Neil Young”).

There wouldn’t really need to as much vetting in this next one, but everyone really should self-vet anyway.

My suggestion would be in addition to the song and the artist we should also submit why it’s eligible here (i.e. “British Band, American Singer”; “Japanese”, “Mexican”; “Mexican and US”; “it’s Neil Young”).
I like this idea. Are your dummies doing a third one?

Forgot to update regarding Squibby. He is home again and seems to be doing well. It's a little strange, though, that they never figured out what had been the problem. They did lots of test, x-rays, etc. Ended up giving him a lot of fluids and within a day or so he had perked back up. Best guess is that he might have eaten something he shouldn't have.

..and album or song.

I like this idea. Are your dummies doing a third one?
Not sure. We’ve discussed it but we weren’t as tight with our rules - as I’ve pointed out - so it may be more strictly “others” - although we did leave out bands like Fleetwood Mac, Talking Heads.
I wouldn’t let it affect this one because it may be a while before we’d do one again.

Forgot to update regarding Squibby. He is home again and seems to be doing well. It's a little strange, though, that they never figured out what had been the problem. They did lots of test, x-rays, etc. Ended up giving him a lot of fluids and within a day or so he had perked back up. Best guess is that he might have eaten something he shouldn't have.

Happy to hear this.

My 18 and 3/4 year old cat is starting to fail (it's been this way on and off for two years)... we discussed "the end" the other morning, and she came out and (presumably) heard us and immedately (and demonstratively) perked up. Like she said "yea, I'm not going anywhere".

Didn't OH submit a song that included a bag of cats being whacked with a rubber hose?
This one?
oh, my
Gabe Kaplan's second finest moment after this one.
Holey moley -- speaking of Serious Business [TM] !
Conrad was an overbearing macho doosh and got housed by wimpy Mr. Kotter.
Conrad looking good, but still seemingly pissed off

First night in awhile I've found myself with some time on my hands (and a drink) without the British Draft to entertain me. So I have started working on my Catch All Country Draft. Loving this so far. It will be an interesting mix, but I think we could see some wild results across all drafters with so open parameters.

I've got a list of 100 or so artists for this countdown, 5-7 of which were considered for the past 2 countdowns but were entirely ineligible. Now I just have to narrow it down to 31 and then pick my favorite song from each of them......:wall:

OK, here's what we'll do.

Catch-all countdown (anything ineligible in the prior two) will begin March 20. Lists will be due March 17, after which I will not accept lists. I also will not accept lists before March 1. The latter is to cut down on post-submission changes and also to give me a couple weeks of a break.

I'll start a new thread later today with more details.

Catch-all countdown (anything ineligible in the prior two) will begin March 20. Lists will be due March 17, after which I will not accept lists. I also will not accept lists before March 1. The latter is to cut down on post-submission changes and also to give me a couple weeks of a break.

One vote for no post submission changes.

I vote 1000 times for this. It has very little, if any bearing on final results. just don't send your list in until you are final with it. Wait until the final day if you have to.

I vote 1000 times for this. It has very little, if any bearing on final results. just don't send your list in until you are final with it. Wait until the final day if you have to.
If OH can remember to send his list in the last hour before deadline while clipping his toenails and practicing the kazoo, then so can you.

What is your favorite XFL team, and why is it the St. Louis Battlehawks?

Also I see that the XFL has adopted middle-aged-dummy favorite "Crazy Train" as a theme song.

What is your favorite XFL team, and why is it the St. Louis Battlehawks?

Also I see that the XFL has adopted middle-aged-dummy favorite "Crazy Train" as a theme song.
Brahmas for life here. Kalen Ballage is going to run wild all over your soft Battlehawk D.

I’m not but I did see some highlights come across Twitter

Ah, that makes sense. So did I, actually. They have a weird kick-off setup where the teams start way ahead of the kicker and can't move until the player catches the ball to put it in play.

The NFL should do that if they want to avoid the crazy injuries that happen on special teams.

Ah, that makes sense. So did I, actually. They have a weird kick-off setup where the teams start way ahead of the kicker and can't move until the player catches the ball to put it in play.

The NFL should do that if they want to avoid the crazy injuries that happen on special teams.
Yep, looks like teams can also go for 3 after a TD by running the conversion attempt from the 10. Instead on onside kicks,teams can run a "4th and 15" from their own territory. If they convert, they get to keep possession. Sounds like St.Louis pulled off a late game comeback using both of those new rules.

Last edited:
Actually my mom(!) emailed me to tell me that it was fun to watch and I should turn it on. I've been working all day but put it on in the background during the second half of the St. Louis game, which they won in exciting fashion and then AJ McCarron cried with his family afterward. It was touching...yes, I teared up watching the end of an XFL game.

Seems like it would be a grand time to go to a Seattle Sea Dragons game. Looked very much fan-friendly. Their first game is coming up in 15 minutes.

Things after surgery have gone worse than I expected. The healing is going well, but the pain has been excruciating. I was taking so much oxy I had to quit for a day just so they would start working again.
I'm having trouble with focus and have a hard time writing more than a couple of sentences. But rather than disappearing in the meantime, I decided to post this note warning you that I shall return after listening some more of the playlists. I have lots to share already, but not coherent enough to do so properly. Surgery was just a week ago, but last time my recovery was far faster. I'm hoping things will ramp up quickly from here.
I've really enjoyed the discussion and thoughts you have all shared do far and hope to make contribute some in the future. Thanks for letting me participate.

The healing is going well, but the pain has been excruciating. I was taking so much oxy I had to quit for a day just so they would start working again. I'm having trouble with focus and have a hard time writing more than a couple of sentences

Hey cos, just a note to wish you the best. Without further adieu,

I'm wishing you the best.

Just allow me one nag. If you start to feel really bad -- and it sounds already pretty bad -- please go see someone. Something might be going wrong that you don't know about. Don't brave it out. Tell somebody please.

The healing is going well, but the pain has been excruciating. I was taking so much oxy I had to quit for a day just so they would start working again. I'm having trouble with focus and have a hard time writing more than a couple of sentences

Hey cos, just a note to wish you the best. Without further adieu,

I'm wishing you the best.

Just allow me one nag. If you start to feel really bad -- and it sounds already pretty bad -- please go see someone. Something might be going wrong that you don't know about. Don't brave it out. Tell somebody please.
Absolutely. I'm no hero. I probably was a tad too enthusiastic with therapy. No infection or anything going on. Sometimes pain can be a sign of something else bad and sometimes it's because they sawed of your kneecap and hammered on a new one.

Alloysious Massaquoi of Young Fathers was born in Liberia and has no apparent British parentage to make him eligible. I've run out of available characters on post #3 so, I don't know, just remember this or something.

Good article in the NYT today about Young Fathers. Remember that they are eligible in the catch-all!

ETA: And in the article, Danny Boyle calls them a "boy band"! :lol:

Since this was a music thread, I'm choosing a music-related charity.

Girls Write Nashville is a nonprofit songwriting mentorship program based in Nashville that cultivates empowered expression and positive community for teen girls. They offer free songwriting and music production classes to middle and high school students that culminate with the recording of the young artistss' work in professional studios such as the legendary Sound Emporium, and Studio NPL. The organization was co-founded by a grade school classmate of @ditkaburgers who went on to study at Berklee and is now a singer-songwriter in Nashville.

Partial good news! I should be able to get a company match on the amount that I donated to Girls Write Nashville. Not sure how long it takes for the match to go through, but I applied for it today.

Unfortunately, Pain News Network wasn't listed as an eligible charity for me to get a match. I suspect it because I work for a health care company that would be concerned with conflict/regulatory issues in making the match. Sorry, @Just Win Baby , but at least you did get the initial amount for your charity.

Since this was a music thread, I'm choosing a music-related charity.

Girls Write Nashville is a nonprofit songwriting mentorship program based in Nashville that cultivates empowered expression and positive community for teen girls. They offer free songwriting and music production classes to middle and high school students that culminate with the recording of the young artistss' work in professional studios such as the legendary Sound Emporium, and Studio NPL. The organization was co-founded by a grade school classmate of @ditkaburgers who went on to study at Berklee and is now a singer-songwriter in Nashville.

Partial good news! I should be able to get a company match on the amount that I donated to Girls Write Nashville. Not sure how long it takes for the match to go through, but I applied for it today.

Unfortunately, Pain News Network wasn't listed as an eligible charity for me to get a match. I suspect it because I work for a health care company that would be concerned with conflict/regulatory issues in making the match. Sorry, @Just Win Baby , but at least you did get the initial amount for your charity.

Thanks for trying, and thanks again for the donation. 👍

Thanks for trying, and thanks again for the donation. 👍

Actually I think there might be a way for me to ask to have a non-profit added, so I might be able to do that. I know they're very careful for regulatory reasons about organizations that could be referral sources, but that might not be a problem here.

Users who are viewing this thread