What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getting sick of maintenance (1 Viewer)

Dr. No

Footballguy
Rant: I recognize this sounds like that line in Fight Club (the stuff you own owns you).. but more and more i'm finding myself getting sick of maintaining stuff....

- update your computer(s)/tablets/phones
- clean your car.... air your tires, oil, maintenance, etc
- clean your house... air filters, smoke detectors
- walk the dog... feed the dog
- eat healthy foods.... stretch.. exercise... brush/floss.. checkups, teeth cleanings.. get your steps in... maintaining just yourself sucks if you don't want to be fat and out of shape
- kids...sports practices.. homework.. etc etc
- lawn.. mow, fertilize.. bug stuff.. weed stuff
- even wives require enough relationship maintenance that they don't tire of you... and some of that is fun.. but some of it is doing a bunch of stuff you don't want to do.

Just gets to the point where maintaining even a basic amount of stuff properly just gets overwhelming... this isn't living... I was LIVING when I had 1 small/medium size apartment, 1 small car, no lawn, no kids, no wife and all I was maintaining was my FFL team, checking account, my pokerstars account and happy hour with the bros.

I realize that on the other side of the coin that I guess all this still beats having to hunt and grow and cook your own food and build your own terrible shelter native american style... so I get the flipside

Changing your password

ACCOUNT SECURITY..... this one is really up there.. if the damn bank finds any suspicious charges they change the CC Number and it takes me 30 minutes to change all the auto-pay stuff... maybe longer. MASSIVE TIME WASTER!

Agree with the sentiment, except the part about self maintenance. If you do it right, you should like exercising and eating healthily, which in turn should facilitate enjoying your life.

As far as the rest of the stuff, minimalism is your friend. Reject the status quo, or any status, for that matter. Live simply.

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiment, except the part about self maintenance. If you do it right, you should like exercising and eating healthily, which in turn should facilitate enjoying your life.

As far as the rest of the stuff, minimalism is your friend. Reject the status quo, or any status, for that matter. Live simply.
Live simply, so others may simply live.

I don't like eating healthy, exercise is fine. But you can see why most people fall off and fail. Good athletic health is difficult to maintain

Changing your password

I suggest to everyone to get a password manager. I have one complex password (it's 15 characters, mixed case, with a number and a few characters) for the password manager plus MFA and that's it. I honestly do not know any other password I have. The pw manager I use has a built in pw generator, I generate pw's, store them in the pw manager and I'm done. I have 90 accounts stored in mine. Honestly, of all the things I've ever done that I wish I had done sooner, this is one of them. I did this about 2 years ago and I wish I had done it a lot sooner. Do a google search, find one you're comfortable with and pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

Changing your password

I suggest to everyone to get a password manager. I have one complex password (it's 15 characters, mixed case, with a number and a few characters) for the password manager plus MFA and that's it. I honestly do not know any other password I have. The pw manager I use has a built in pw generator, I generate pw's, store them in the pw manager and I'm done. I have 90 accounts stored in mine. Honestly, of all the things I've ever done that I wish I had done sooner, this is one of them. I did this about 2 years ago and I wish I had done it a lot sooner. Do a google search, find one you're comfortable with and pull the trigger, you won't regret it.
I have an excel spreadsheet that I password protect. Seems to do the best for me.

I don't like eating healthy, exercise is fine. But you can see why most people fall off and fail. Good athletic health is difficult to maintain
Sounds like you aren’t approaching it to maximize the chances for success.

Find activities you enjoy, and exercising is better than fine; it‘s fun. Kinda like if you love your job, you’ll never have to work another day in your life. Just don’t overdo it and get injured.

Diet requires more effort, admittedly, but still not incredibly difficult imo. Pretty much every adult acquires the taste for something they don’t like initially - alcohol and coffee immediately come to mind. Channel that energy into fruits and veggies, while cutting out unhealthy stuff. After a while your palate changes, and you start craving healthy food, I promise.

Time is also an important part of the equation . But objectively, is there anything more important than your health? Even if it isn’t easy, it’s a no-brainer to make diet and exercise a priority.

Changing your password

I have an excel spreadsheet that I password protect. Seems to do the best for me.
Ooof, honestly, that's probably the worst thing in the world you can do Chief. Those files can be hacked in a few seconds, please don't do that and get a real password manager.

Changing your password

Ooof, honestly, that's probably the worst thing in the world you can do Chief. Those files can be hacked in a few seconds, please don't do that and get a real password manager.
So is a password manager a piece of software you buy or is it online? Or an app?

Changing your password

So is a password manager a piece of software you buy or is it online? Or an app?

Yes, it's all of those. So you can d/l it and install it on your pc, log into from their site, install an app on your phone, etc. Username, password and MFA are a must, not the end all be all but the best we can do at the moment. 1Password is the hot item right now but you can move from pw manager to pw manager.

Changing your password

Online, app, browser plugin. There are few free ones out there, I use bitwarden and love it. My wife and I share an account and all logins go in there and our kids (adults) have access in case something happens they can access all the accounts.

Changing your password

Yes, it's all of those. So you can d/l it and install it on your pc, log into from their site, install an app on your phone, etc. Username, password and MFA are a must, not the end all be all but the best we can do at the moment. 1Password is the hot item right now but you can move from pw manager to pw manager.
The only thing that bothers me about those is I'm putting all my passwords online or on an app on my phone? Are these not hackable either?

I guess where I'm going with this is to me a computer at home that is password protected using a spreadsheet that is password protected is no more at risk than throwing all my passwords online to a service I know nothing about.

My home computer is the only place this spreadsheet exists. It's not on a google doc anywhere.

Changing your password

The only thing that bothers me about those is I'm putting all my passwords online or on an app on my phone? Are these not hackable either?

I guess where I'm going with this is to me a computer at home that is password protected using a spreadsheet that is password protected is no more at risk than throwing all my passwords online to a service I know nothing about.

My home computer is the only place this spreadsheet exists. It's not on a google doc anywhere.

Most definitely something to be concerned about. Here's a video that explains better than I can but, in the nutshell, you want to pick a good pw manager company to begin with and 1Password is the leader at the moment and to my knowledge they've never been hacked and they have a zero knowledge architecture.

Changing your password

Most definitely something to be concerned about. Here's a video that explains better than I can but, in the nutshell, you want to pick a good pw manager company to begin with and 1Password is the leader at the moment and to my knowledge they've never been hacked and they have a zero knowledge architecture.
OK thanks. I'll take a look. :thumbup:

Sounds like you aren’t approaching it to maximize the chances for success.

Find activities you enjoy, and exercising is better than fine; it‘s fun. Kinda like if you love your job, you’ll never have to work another day in your life. Just don’t overdo it and get injured.

Diet requires more effort, admittedly, but still not incredibly difficult imo. Pretty much every adult acquires the taste for something they don’t like initially - alcohol and coffee immediately come to mind. Channel that energy into fruits and veggies, while cutting out unhealthy stuff. After a while your palate changes, and you start craving healthy food, I promise.

Time is also an important part of the equation . But objectively, is there anything more important than your health? Even if it isn’t easy, it’s a no-brainer to make diet and exercise a priority.

I really don't mind lifting weights and riding my bike. I just don't like that if I DON'T do those things.. if I don't stretch, work my neck/back, do my knee exercises that I'll be in pain just from life activities.. i lived over 15 years with a crappy back and a few years with some bad knees.. i fixed those things with diligent exercise and stretching and I feel great now.. but it's some BS that your body can't function well without me having to do all that stuff.

And I do enjoy healthy food... but like almost everyone else I want to drink some beers, throw down a box of oreos or a dozen doughnuts, or down a few pints of ice cream... but the stupid mid-40s body won't let you do those things without packing on weight FAST or having a multi-day hangover or crippling my sleep. And that's some BS also. Shouldn't have to be condemned to salads and fish/chicken in order to come CLOSE to maintaining a proper weight.

Sitting here eating my healthy breakfast.. hard boiled eggs, chickpeas, some cottage cheese, and a meh tasting cold brew.. just took my vitamins.. And i'm just mad I can't pour a MASSIVE bowl of cinammon toast crunch, NOT take these viamins, and having a giant delicious latte with caramel and cream like the obese woman that just walked in the door.

Welcome to old age my friend.

When I was in my mid-40's I went through the same thoughts. Like, THIS is how it's gonna be? And the answer is: yes, this is how it's gonna be. But with that age comes wisdom. You can do all those things you are doing but think about the why's and also the other benefits:

1. I look WAY better than most of the other dads my age. I'm a badass.

2. You aren't "giving up" like so many people do when they get married. Fat, dumb, and happy is what I call it. People are so content to look like their parents and just give up.

3. You are financially stable and have worked to be able to enjoy this new phase in life. And you have succeeded there! Man, so many people can't do that. I know I can't. But I'll do the best I can.

It's all a journey, man. You are now entering the next part of it. You can't look back at what you can't do anymore or is harder to do. You just do the best you can and move forward.

Never backwards - always forward. :thumbup:

When I was in my mid-40's I went through the same thoughts. Like, THIS is how it's gonna be? And the answer is: yes, this is how it's gonna be. But with that age comes wisdom. You can do all those things you are doing but think about the why's and also the other benefits:

2. You aren't "giving up" like so many people do when they get married. Fat, dumb, and happy is what I call it. People are so content to look like their parents and just give up.

3. You are financially stable and have worked to be able to enjoy this new phase in life. And you have succeeded there! Man, so many people can't do that. I know I can't. But I'll do the best I can.

It's all a journey, man. You are now entering the next part of it. You can't look back at what you can't do anymore or is harder to do. You just do the best you can and move forward.

And maybe that's the deal... that is just the way it has to be.

I also look better than many people my age.. and if I dumped another 15 lbs I'd look REALLY good for my age. And i'm definitely not giving up.. I want to be able to snow and water ski into my 60s and 70s.. that requires a high level of balance, grip strength, back and leg strength.. I'm not gonna be one of these people getting joint replacements, scooters, etc.

I just can't hardly believe the amount of work it takes to maintain that. But shoot.. even Michael Jordan is just another overweight 60 y.o. who smokes too much, drinks too much, probably has sleep apnea, etc.

Sitting here eating my healthy breakfast.. hard boiled eggs, chickpeas, some cottage cheese, and a meh tasting cold brew.. just took my vitamins.. And i'm just mad I can't pour a MASSIVE bowl of cinammon toast crunch, NOT take these viamins, and having a giant delicious latte with caramel and cream like the obese woman that just walked in the door.
:ptts:

Don’t agree with your outlook at all, but Cinnamon Toast Crunch is delicious.

:goodposting:

There is only so much one can do to change their circumstances…aging is inevitable. But attitude is very much under one’s control, and a positive outlook + appreciation for what one has makes a world of difference.

Rant: I recognize this sounds like that line in Fight Club (the stuff you own owns you).. but more and more i'm finding myself getting sick of maintaining stuff....

- update your computer(s)/tablets/phones
- clean your car.... air your tires, oil, maintenance, etc
- clean your house... air filters, smoke detectors
- walk the dog... feed the dog
- eat healthy foods.... stretch.. exercise... brush/floss.. checkups, teeth cleanings.. get your steps in... maintaining just yourself sucks if you don't want to be fat and out of shape
- kids...sports practices.. homework.. etc etc
- lawn.. mow, fertilize.. bug stuff.. weed stuff
- even wives require enough relationship maintenance that they don't tire of you... and some of that is fun.. but some of it is doing a bunch of stuff you don't want to do.

Just gets to the point where maintaining even a basic amount of stuff properly just gets overwhelming... this isn't living... I was LIVING when I had 1 small/medium size apartment, 1 small car, no lawn, no kids, no wife and all I was maintaining was my FFL team, checking account, my pokerstars account and happy hour with the bros.

I realize that on the other side of the coin that I guess all this still beats having to hunt and grow and cook your own food and build your own terrible shelter native american style... so I get the flipside

Man, it is like you are inside my head!

Changing your password

To me, that is a huge risk. What happens if the computer crashes or gets hacked? Excel spreadsheet protection is laughable. The password apps use at a min 256-bit encryption so it's close to next to impossible to crack, even if they get into the password app company.
When you add 2-factor authentication, you can't log in without the second piece if someone gets the apps password.

It's much safer and much more secure leveraging an app for this than an excel spreadsheet.

Meh, I’ve accepted some level of password insecurity. I can only change them so often, and I still get notices frequently regarding data breaches.

A credit freeze + reviewing bank/investment/cc statements seems to be working pretty well so far.

Yeah, my teenagers remind me constantly about how they don't wash their hair often enough because they're so clinically depressed.

I f'n hate Youtube... :cautious:

Seriously though, let some of that **** go......I grew up with a dad who cancelled a lot of camping trips because he had vehicles to maintain.....a house to paint....a lawn to care after.....etc, etc...

It's all ******** man...... experiences mean so much more than maintaining a perfect lawn, and vehicles.......if you can afford to, pay people to do some of the maintenance for you......it may be worth it for your mental health.

Don’t agree with your outlook at all, but Cinnamon Toast Crunch is delicious.
The negativity or the general vibe

Changing your password

Online, app, browser plugin. There are few free ones out there, I use bitwarden and love it. My wife and I share an account and all logins go in there and our kids (adults) have access in case something happens they can access all the accounts.
Just get Bitwarden. 1Password is good, but paid. Don't, repeat don't get LastPass.

Meh, I’ve accepted some level of password insecurity. I can only change them so often, and I still get notices frequently regarding data breaches.
Bitwarden will help - use at least 15 characters/symbols/numbers to make it brute force immune. For password backup I have the csv export 7-zipped up with encryption deposited in a safe spot. For financial sites I have that two-factored with an authenticator app on the phone (SIM stealing is a worry). Still don't think I'm secure enough, but it's the best I can do. Everyone is still vulnerable to social attacks to get a CS agent to let someone into the account, but there is no way to button that one up.

This stuff worries me greatly. There are a lot of bad actors out there. A lot. This is easily worth skipping a lawn mowed to button this up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread