What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Glacially Paced, Sloth-like Tempo Mock (1 Viewer)

1.23 - Detroit- Todd Gurley, RB Georgia

Caldwell has indicated they want to throw less. Bell can't handle that role alone. And Bush has been subtracted from the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, possible top 10 overall talent if not for the ACL injury. I would take him ahead of Gordon. Snipes Gurley right before ARI, if he was a target. If the Rams were thinking about taking him after a trade down, I'm guessing they might want to stay in front of SD, who is sometimes similarly linked with a RB after the departure of Mathews. Joining forces with the top WR in the game, Calvin Johnson, if Gurley were to fulfill his potential and become one of the top RBs in the NFL, that would comprise a potent skill position duo for the Lions.

* Exactly like MIN with Peterson, but magnified, imo (if it plays out that he was available far later and passed over more often), in the future, many teams will be kicking themselves in disbelief and regret that they didn't seize the opportunity and allowed him to slide.

ARI is up, after which brings us to the three quarter pole of the first round.

1.23 - Detroit- Todd Gurley, RB Georgia

Caldwell has indicated they want to throw less. Bell can't handle that role alone. And Bush has been subtracted from the equation.
Could be huge in Detroit.

Legit piece in the running game sets them up amazingly well.

There are a few different directions I could see the Cardinals going with the board the way it is right now.

The best player available might be SS Landon Collins out of Alabama. Unfortunately the Cardinals already have a strong group of safeties. So this position isn’t a need for them. There might be ways to make this work, but I think I will go a different direction.

The Cardinals could also use a RB and Melvin Gordon is available.

Other needs for the Cardinals look like defensive line, outside linebacker or cornerback. There are some good options available here at these positions in Alvin Dupree, Danielle Hunter, Malcolm Brown, Kevin Johnson, PJ Williams or Jalen Collins.

I think the Cardinals could most use a pass rushing threat. So my pick for them here is Malcolm Brown.

edit- I missed that Dupree was already gone. So go with Malcolm Brown.

Brown it is, the junior All-American is one of the top remaining DTs. Former ARI first round NT Dan Williams signed with OAK in free agency.

CAR is up, BAL on deck.

Post #91 on page 2 notes some of the top remaining players available:

For CAR, not expected to look at QB and TE Greg Olsen just signed a lucrative extension. RB DeAngelo Williams was released and rookie WR Benjamin was a hit but they don't have much else at the position. The sudden retirement of long time LT Jordan Gross left a hard to fill hole last season.

If the team went offense, they could have their pick of developmental LT Clemmings (only playing the position for two years after converting from the defensive side of the ball - consensus top center Cam Erving, also available and thought to a late first round prospect, similarly used to play defense) and WRs Strong and Perriman, as well as RB Gordon. On defense, not sure about front seven needs, but if they opted for secondary, the franchise would have their pick of consensus top safety Colllins and all but Waynes and Peters at CB.

* Bracie posted below (#91) a very thorough, systematic and helpful breakdown of the remaining teams expected most pressing positional needs, as well as some of the the correspondingly highest graded remaining prospects that could fill them. Thanks.

Keeping this moving:

"With the 25th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings."

The Panthers have one of the weakest offensive lines in the NFL and Cam Newton was sacked 38 times last year. Clemmings is a touch raw; however, at 6-4¾, 309 lbs with impressive natural athleticism he has considerable development upside. This is a nice combination of filling a position of need while still selecting a player who is ranked highly.

Other players considered:

WR Devin Smith

WR Jaelen Strong

RB Melvin Gordon

Teams left to draft with top-five team needs (according to nfl.com).

Also a list of the top names left on the nfl.com mock drafts and CBS in order of top names left from those mock drafts:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25) CAR - Carolina Panthers Top 5 needs: LT, WR, CB, RB, S
Analysis: The Panthers added veterans like CB Alan Ball, WR/KR Tedd Ginn, Jr. and OT Michael Oher via free agency, but those players are band-aids, not long-term solutions. The Panthers need more than serviceable tackle play to keep Cam Newton upright. Carolina should be able to find quality RB and WR help from this year's crop, and it needs to add support in the secondary.

26) BAL -Baltimore Ravens Top 5 needs: WR, CB, OLB, RB, S
Analysis: The loss of Torrey Smith isn't insurmountable at wide receiver, but the Ravens know Steve Smith won't post the production he once did, so finding help at the position is necessary. CB Lardarius Webb needs competition and free-agent addition Kendrick Lewis is a band-aid at free safety. The Ravens ran the ball well and rushed the passer well last season, but RB and OLB could be in play at some point with aging veterans at those spots.

27) DAL -Dallas Cowboys Top 5 needs: CB, RB, DT, OL, LB
Analysis: The addition of Darren McFadden is a stop-gap at best. Despite talent on the roster at RB, this is the draft to go bargain hunting at that position, if desired. Dallas could use immediate help at cornerback. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli demands upfield talent from his interior D-linemen, and that is missing on this roster. Dallas could look for a strong side or middle linebacker this year. The Cowboys could also add depth to the offensive line.

28) DEN -Denver Broncos Top 5 needs: OL, TE, DL, OLB, QB
Analysis: Gary Kubiak took Duane Brown late in the 2008 first round when he was with the Texans because he covets tackles that are talented as pass blockers and athletic enough to fit into his zone scheme. You have to move early in the draft to land a tackle with those qualities. During defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' tenure with Kubiak, the Texans drafted J.J. Watt (first round), Whitney Mercilus (first) and Brooks Reed (second) along the defensive front. Guard and tight end are both needs, but can usually be found beyond the first three rounds for this offense.

29) IND -Indianapolis Colts Top 5 needs: SS, RT, RB, CB, ILB
Analysis: The Colts don't have many glaring holes to fill. Frank Gore is a short-term solution at RB, but with such a deep class, RB could be a smart luxury pick. Andrew Luck is about to get paid big bucks, so finding a future replacement at RT for the expensive Gosder Cherilus could be in order. The Colts' biggest need could be at strong safety, while ILB and CB are positions that could use more depth.

30) GB -Green Bay Packers Top 5 needs: ILB, CB, TE, DL, OL
Analysis: Clay Matthews was a revelation at inside linebacker last season, but more help is needed next to him. The once-deep cornerback position now needs help. Look for the Packers to sift around the tight end position at some point, as they haven't quite found the right fit. The Packers are solid along the offensive line, but with their history of injuries along the line, they could look to add depth.

31) NO (from SEA) -New Orleans Saints Top 5 needs: OLB, OG, WR, TE, QB
Analysis: With 36-year-old Drew Brees in the last year of his contract, the Saints will have to consider looking at QB soon. Gone are WR Kenny Stills and OG Ben Grubbs, and New Orleans needs to find replacements for both. The Saints won't find another Jimmy Graham any time soon, but still need more depth at that position. Another pass-rushing outside 'backer would be nice.

32) NE -New England Patriots Top 5 needs: G, WR, DT, S, DE
Analysis: Under Bill Belichick, the Patriots have always been diligent about taking care of their offensive and defensive fronts early in the draft. New England needs to find help along the defensive line to stop the run and could use a pass-rushing defensive end. The team could address a hole at guard at some point. New England will always look for big-play threats on offense, so keep an eye on WR and even RB.

=====

Top names left still available:

=====

Landon Collins SS Alabama

Arik Armstead DT Oregon

Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

Jalen Collins CB LSU

Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin

Breshad Perriman WR Central Florida

Eddie Goldman DT Florida St.

Cedric Ogbuehi OT Texas A&M

Cameron Erving C Florida St.

Jordan Phillips NT Oklahoma

Tevin Coleman RB Indiana

Byron Jones CB Connecticut

Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA 6' 3" 265

Sammie Coates* WR Auburn 6' 2" 200

Maxx Williams** TE Minnesota 6' 4" 250

Shaq Thompson* OLB Washington 6' 0" 230

Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest

Outstanding pick, Faust, it would be mine. As noted, great marriage/intersection of approx. BPA and compelling team need. Clemmings may well have among the most developmental upside of any OL in the draft (and arguably of any position, period). In the meantime, Cam Newton has the size/strength/speed/athleticism to run around while he gets coached up NFL-style on some of the technical nuances of the position.

* The Grand Experiment (MMQB Clemmings article)

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/18/nfl-draft-tj-clemmings-pittsburgh/

Outstanding pick, Faust, it would be mine. As noted, great marriage/intersection of approx. BPA and compelling team need. Clemmings may well have among the most developmental upside of any OL in the draft (and arguably of any position, period). In the meantime, Cam Newton has the size/strength/speed/athleticism to run around while he gets coached up NFL-style on some of the technical nuances of the position.
The Panthers will be well served to select WR and RB later on in a draft that is deep at both of those positions. Collins, Armstead, Odighizuwa and the rapidly rising Perriman are also possibilities.

It is around this point in the NFL Draft where teams picking in this range are taking calls from teams wanting to move up (or back into the tail end of the first round), so a trade down could also be a possibility.

29) IND -Indianapolis Colts Top 5 needs: SS, RT, RB, CB, ILBAnalysis: The Colts don't have many glaring holes to fill. Frank Gore is a short-term solution at RB, but with such a deep class, RB could be a smart luxury pick. Andrew Luck is about to get paid big bucks, so finding a future replacement at RT for the expensive Gosder Cherilus could be in order. The Colts' biggest need could be at strong safety, while ILB and CB are positions that could use more depth.
After losing 42-7 to the Pats, IMO the number one need for the Colts would be edge rusher. The pass rushers they have are either marginally effective or very old.

29) IND -Indianapolis Colts Top 5 needs: SS, RT, RB, CB, ILBAnalysis: The Colts don't have many glaring holes to fill. Frank Gore is a short-term solution at RB, but with such a deep class, RB could be a smart luxury pick. Andrew Luck is about to get paid big bucks, so finding a future replacement at RT for the expensive Gosder Cherilus could be in order. The Colts' biggest need could be at strong safety, while ILB and CB are positions that could use more depth.
After losing 42-7 to the Pats, IMO the number one need for the Colts would be edge rusher. The pass rushers they have are either marginally effective or very old.
I don't know but isn't Pro Bowl DE Robert Mathis done serving his suspension for PEDs? I don't know but isn't he scheduled to come back?

I don't know but isn't Pro Bowl DE Robert Mathis done serving his suspension for PEDs? I don't know but isn't he scheduled to come back?
I don't know but I do know that Walden is 29, Trent Cole is 32 and Mathis is 34.

They have the QB and recently acquired an older RB in Frank Gore and an older WR in Andre Johnson and I kind like DE Trent Cole and if Robert Mathis is back they are better at outside pass rush than they were last year IMHO.

They used most of their free agent dollars to sign older vets to win today. Winning now is their desire so if they continue that strategy in the draft they would want immediate impact.

If you put in pass rusher on their team needs list then compare it with top available talent and it seems they would be reaching to get a pass rusher since their isn't a lot left and other guys are rated higher at areas of need.

Here are the top guys left according to Scout.com and ESPN to compare to the above list from nfl.com and CBS:

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2015

S 10 Landon Collins JR 6-0/228/4.60 Alabama RB 15 Melvin Gordon JR 6-1/215/4.53 Wisconsin WR 19 Jaelen Strong JR 6-2/217/4.44 Arizona State OLB 24 Shaq Thompson JR 6-0/228/4.49 Washington DE 26 Owamagbe Odighizuwa SR 6-3/267/4.53 UCLA C 27 Cameron Erving SR 6-5/313/4.55 Florida State DT 28 Arik Armstead JR 6-7/292/5.05 Oregon http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rankings/_/year/2015

Arik Armstead* DE 6'7⅛" 292 Oregon 93 8 Landon Collins* S 6'0" 228 Alabama 90 17 Cameron Erving OC 6'5½" 313 Florida State 90 18 Eddie Goldman* DT 6'3⅞" 336 Florida State 90 20 Melvin Gordon* RB 6'0⅝" 215 Wisconsin 89 23

Based on this list, RB Gordon and safety Collins might be tempting. OL is linked with IND a lot, so center Erving could also be. And Armstead could be a freakish, Calais Campbell-like 3-4 DE, which would be a coup. They could have some interesting options in the actual draft.

Who should we collectively give BAL, thoughts?

Gordon would be classic case of GM Ozzie allowing the draft to fall to them, and landing a blue chip talent like Gordon at RB. They did just re-sign Forsett with a three year deal, but he turns 30 in 2015.

But Steve Smith turns 36 this year, Torrey Smith left in free agency. Receiving TE Pitta has dislocated and than reinjured/fractured his hip again the past two seasons, so they REALLY seem to be in need of receiving options. Maybe there will be options later, but Strong and Perriman are sitting here.

Who should we collectively give BAL, thoughts?

Gordon would be classic case of GM Ozzie allowing the draft to fall to them, and landing a blue chip talent like Gordon at RB. They did just re-sign Forsett with a three year deal, but he turns 30 in 2015.

But Steve Smith turns 36 this year, Torrey Smith left in free agency. Receiving TE Pitta has dislocated and than reinjured/fractured his hip again the past two seasons, so they REALLY seem to be in need of receiving options. Maybe there will be options later, but Strong and Perriman are sitting here.
If Baltimore passes on Gordon we are taking him. I would be shocked if Gurley or Gordon falls to us.

Baltimore has only taken one RB in the 1st round and only two WRs in their 19 year history.

Jamaal Lewis was a stud but had his issues, both of the WRs busted.

If you look at past Ozzie Newsome drafts he's going to take the highest rated defender and they have a need at safety.

SS Landon Collins is sticking out like a sore thumb, fits a need and the long-term philosophy of Ravens past drafts.

--------------

1996 1 4 Jonathan Ogden T UCLA =1 26 Ray Lewis LB Miami (FL)

1997 1 4 Peter Boulware DE Florida State

1998 1 10 Duane Starks DB Miami (FL)

2000 1 5 Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee = 1 10 Travis Taylor WR Florida

2001 1 31 Todd Heap TE Arizona State

2002 1 24 Ed Reed DB Miami (FL)

2003 1 10 Terrell Suggs DE Arizona State = 1 19 Kyle Boller QB California

2005 1 22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

2006 1 12 Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

2007 1 29 Ben Grubbs G Auburn

2008 1 18 Joe Flacco QB Delaware

2009 1 23 Michael Oher T Mississippi

2011 1 27 Jimmy Smith DB Colorado

2013 1 32 Matt Elam DB Florida

2014 1 17 C.J. Mosley LB Alabama

I agree. Ozzie will look for WR and RB later in what appears to be a deep class at both of those positions!

I expected Collins to be gone earlier, possibly to a team like PIT (though EG's arguably #2 rated CB pick also made sense), if he even made it that far. Collins could be an even better prospect than HCD, who had a very solid rookie season in 2014. Future Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame defenders like Ray Lewis (#26) and Ed Reed (#24) fell to about this range of the draft (#26) for the Ravens. I do wonder if this would be tantamount to be giving up on Matt Elam, only drafted in 2013, as they both would seem to be more ideally suited to SS, with that kind of skill set and game. But both have some versatility, and it would seem that Collins is a superior prospect, so probably doesn't make sense to not draft him just because an existing player (at possibly the same position, but who may not be as good) happens to already be on the roster.

So Collins to BAL, and Gordon to DAL (who I suspected might be the pick, with Gurley off the board). I could see one of the RBs lasting this long in the actual draft, as teams like SD, DET and ARI all have multiple other needs and could all go in very different directions. The wild card, is if an unexpected team before SD takes Gurley earlier because of his All-Pro potential, than I doubt Gordon would make it. That could cause other teams to scramble for Gordon, the lone remaining blue chip prospect at the position.

* DEN is up (OP up to date through DAL), just a handful of picks left in round one.

Two rounds was the original plan, and the "one pick rule" has already been dropped. :)

The handicap has been that it became obvious to me as the draft started to stall in the middle, it can be hard to generate the interest of 32 posters that may be generalists enough to be comfortable drafting for other teams, which is why the rule was relaxed/modified in draft.

But I think the first round has been fairly realistic looking and well reasoned by even non-homer posters doing the picking, I have learned some things and hopefully others have, too, so that seems to recommend continuing. There is no hurry to "finish".* Perhaps an advantage to this format, contrasted with the disadvantage already noted above, is by having in some cases non-homers make the picks for the respective teams (though not applicable with STL, CLE, PIT, DAL, perhaps others), which could facilitate avoiding the dangers of group think by lending fresh, outside perspectives on alternate best marriage or intersections of BPA/team positional need at the different respective junctures in the draft.

* The only reason I jokingly changed the original title from flash mock was because the original intent was to move faster, if everybody was picking for whatever team, bang, bang, bang, and not waiting around for hours for team X's homer rep to be avail., but I didn't account at the time for this format's own set of challenges towards that end, as outlined.

There has only been one collaborative pick I can think of (BAL), but that isn't any different than more routine drafts where homers sign up for their team. If somebody fails to make a pick and takes too long because they are unavailable or forgot, in THAT format, it is also SOP to throw the pick up for group discussion, in the interest of expediting it and moving on.

I spent about 30 to 60 minutes reading up on the Cardinals needs and free agency moves to familiarize myself with what they might consider doing. This was helpful to me not only for learning a bit more about the Cardinals situation, but also for who are the best prospects to fit those needs at a later stage of the draft.

BTW Bruce Arian's candor about current Cardinals players flaws was pretty refreshing and enjoyable to listen to. I don't think most coaches are this open with the media regarding their players as Arian's is. This is what caused me to not consider Landon Collin's who I considered the best value pick on the board at that time. Seeing him snatched up by the Raven's seems very plausible based on their draft history if he should indeed fall that far in the draft.

With patience for sloth like tempo (I love the juxtoposition of this phrase BTW :) ) perhaps this will lead to better quality of picks.

Broncos should go ILB here since the best o-linemen are gone and their current starters in their newly installed 3-4 are Danny Trevanthan and Brandon Marshall.

My vote would be Stephone Anthony, but I've already picked twice.

The Denver Broncos let some pretty high profile free agents walk in TE Julius Thomas, Guard Orlando Franklin, Defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. The also lost Jacob Tamme but added Owen Daniels.

The Bronco’s picked up a 4th round compensation pick and also three seventh round picks.

Although there are a few different areas that the Bronco’s could look to improve their team the highest priority seems to be cornerback and there are several good ones still available here in Jalen Collins, Kevin Johnson or PJ Williams or Byron Jones.

Guard or Linebacker or defensive line would be other areas to look at. I don’t consider inside linebacker to be worth a first round pick unless they are a special player. Reading some of the Bronco’s blogs they are talking about needing defensive backs because they like all teams play so much nickle and dime defense. So I think cornerback is the best meeting of need and value at pick 28. Often there will already be four or give corners gone by this pick, not just two.

It is hard for me to differentiate which of these corners would be the best fit for the Bronco’s. Collins and Williams are better run defenders than Kevin Johnson who strengths are coverage. Jones might be the best of this group as a converted safety with record breaking jumping ability.

The Broncos select Kevin Johnson Wake Forest. He seems like the safest of the four very good corners I considered for this pick.

The Denver Broncos let some pretty high profile free agents walk in TE Julius Thomas, Guard Orlando Franklin, Defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. The also lost Jacob Tamme but added Owen Daniels.

The Bronco’s picked up a 4th round compensation pick and also three seventh round picks.

Although there are a few different areas that the Bronco’s could look to improve their team the highest priority seems to be cornerback and there are several good ones still available here in Jalen Collins, Kevin Johnson or PJ Williams or Byron Jones.

Guard or Linebacker or defensive line would be other areas to look at. I don’t consider inside linebacker to be worth a first round pick unless they are a special player. Reading some of the Bronco’s blogs they are talking about needing defensive backs because they like all teams play so much nickle and dime defense. So I think cornerback is the best meeting of need and value at pick 28. Often there will already be four or give corners gone by this pick, not just two.

It is hard for me to differentiate which of these corners would be the best fit for the Bronco’s. Collins and Williams are better run defenders than Kevin Johnson who strengths are coverage. Jones might be the best of this group as a converted safety with record breaking jumping ability.

The Broncos select Kevin Johnson Wake Forest. He seems like the safest of the four very good corners I considered for this pick.
Well I agree that their are some nice cornerbacks available but I don't agree that the Broncos top priority is cornerback since both of their starting CBs made the Pro Bowl last year CB Aquib Talib and CB Chris Harris and they used their top pick last year on a cornerback CB Bradley Robey from Ohio State and he looked pretty good so it looks like they are solid at corner IMHO.

I agree more with Andy that inside linebacker is an area they could use help or on the defensive line as you suggested but probably not cornerback.

Byron Jones was the CB record breaker in the jumps (11'3" broad jump reportedly a world record, 44.5" VJ one of the best at his position in Combine history).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25092772/how-byron-jones-set-a-broad-jump-world-record-at-the-nfl-combine

That said, Kevin Johnson isn't a blazer (4.52) but was very athletic and explosive in the jumps (10'10" broad jump and 41.5" VJ top 10 among all positions at Combine), has good length (6'0"), ran one of the better three cone drills and does I think grade higher than Jones, he could easily be gone befor this. PIT drafts 22 and sent 3-4 team reps to his workout, including personnel exec Kevin Colbert. He is versatile and has played press and off coverage, man and zone concepts. DEN scores a lot with Manning, and generally ends up playing a lot of nickel defense almost as a base and default, for most of the game.

But there are good arguments for other positions? I forgot how stacked DEN is at the position.

I have even seen OL like Cam Erving linked with the team.

* Biabreakable, if you haven't picked twice already, we have a precedent where we do the collaborative pick thing only when nobody steps up, and I'd like to keep it that way (to encourage others to step up! :) ). So if you want to change the pick based on their existing roster, that is fine, or confirm CB, it is your pick. Just let us know either way, thanks.

Colts gladly select Cameron Erving, OL, FSU.

Protecting the franchise QB trumps all. With last year's UDFA Harrison at C, a beat down Herremans at RG, and overpaid Cherilus at RT, Erving may start day 1. Love his positional flexibility.

Confirmed, Biabreakable only made the ARI pick prior to DEN, his to make (now he has used his two picks for round one).

Rolling along, Johnson to DEN, Erving to IND.

GB, NO (via SEA in the blockbuster Graham trade) and NE are the remaining picks in the first round, in order.

Well I agree that their are some nice cornerbacks available but I don't agree that the Broncos top priority is cornerback since both of their starting CBs made the Pro Bowl last year CB Aquib Talib and CB Chris Harris and they used their top pick last year on a cornerback CB Bradley Robey from Ohio State and he looked pretty good so it looks like they are solid at corner IMHO.

I agree more with Andy that inside linebacker is an area they could use help or on the defensive line as you suggested but probably not cornerback.
The Defensive tackles Shelton and Brown were both already gone. I suppose Arik Armstead, Owamagb Odighizuwa or Mario Edwards might be a better fit for need.

Perhaps safety a bigger need than corner? I read some things about them wanting to improve their nickle and dime packages that indicated they are looking for defensive backs.

eta - I am not married to the corner pick if people think one of the above defensive linemen are a better fit for need?

I do not think any of the LB left available are worth it. But perhaps Shaq Thompson would be a good fit?

Here is an article I read before making the pick in regards to their 3-4 defensive rotation. They do want to get better there. But there was another article where it was discussed that they want to improve their secondary.

Excerpt

DEFENSIVE LINE

The installation of a 3-4 alignment forced changes to the Broncos' No. 2-ranked defense.

Sylvester Williams is in the mix to start at nose tackle, and Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson project as the defensive ends. But Kubiak and Phillips plan to make liberal use of other defensive linemen, which includes defensive end Vance Walker, potential nose tackle Marvin Austin and others on the roster, including some who could arrive via free agency or the draft.

"I think we're going to have a rotation," Kubiak said. "I can't sit here and tell you, 'Here's our guys; that's it.' I think we'll be a rotation-type group. If you look at most fronts, defensively, in the National Football League right now -- if you're a 3-4 team people are playing five, six guys a game and they're rotating them. [The] 4-3 teams are playing seven, eight guys.

"I think that's extremely important, especially if you're playing no-huddle tempo-type teams. So I think we've got to put a good group together. I know one thing: we have one hell of a coach in [Defensive Line Coach Bill] Kollar. He'll get the most out of them. So it's a priority right now. We need to get better there, also, so that is obviously a priority as we move forward, but I think we'll play a lot of people."

How's that for glacial Bobby?
The picks are coming fast and furious, now, I'm three behind in the OP running/completed list. Earlier I'd noted trying to not make consecutive picks (to give others a chance to jump in), but it was phrased like a request, not a rule, isn't in the official rules and my fault if an addendum is scattered somewhere in the thread. It has been slow (though a Sunday, so maybe par for the course), so keeping it as a reward, JetMaxx, for helping thaw and melt the mock polar ice cap, and simultaneously jabbing the sloth with a cattle prod. :)

NO is up.

Well I agree that their are some nice cornerbacks available but I don't agree that the Broncos top priority is cornerback since both of their starting CBs made the Pro Bowl last year CB Aquib Talib and CB Chris Harris and they used their top pick last year on a cornerback CB Bradley Robey from Ohio State and he looked pretty good so it looks like they are solid at corner IMHO.I agree more with Andy that inside linebacker is an area they could use help or on the defensive line as you suggested but probably not cornerback.
The Defensive tackles Shelton and Brown were both already gone. I suppose Arik Armstead, Owamagb Odighizuwa or Mario Edwards might be a better fit for need.

Perhaps safety a bigger need than corner? I read some things about them wanting to improve their nickle and dime packages that indicated they are looking for defensive backs.

eta - I am not married to the corner pick if people think one of the above defensive linemen are a better fit for need.

I do not think any of the LB left available are worth it. But perhaps Shaq Thompson would be a good fit?
Prior to the addendum in post #130 offering a do-over on the DEN pick, JetMaxx had already made at least the next pick for IND, so it no longer made sense to roll things back, but instead to press on. Not uncommon to have differences of opinion on both what constitutes BPA and perceived greatest team positional need priorities, let alone intersections of those two areas.

Still unsure of Denver taking a fourth CB and Johnson weighs only 188 lbs. Also I haven't really seen him much on mocks as a first rounder. Problem is the next two picks would have fit better for them than what is still out there.

I think if a Denver fan wants to change the pick that they should be allowed to.

If New Orleans is on the clock and we can make more than one pick provided it for another team then the Saints need a cornerback and this guy is still out there and would fit.

Collins, Jalen CB 6'1" 203 LSU

I was gonna write up a long post for my selection, but its pretty simple. The Pats need help at DT, OG, WR, RB, OT and DB - in that order imo.

Small board going into this pick is:
-Eddie Goldman, DT

-Jordan Phillips, DT

-Jaelen Strong, WR

-AJ Cann, OG

-Jake Fisher, OT

But my pick for the Patriots will be Jordan Phillips, DT Oklahoma.

I think compared to Goldman, Phillips is the better talent, although I think both are capable of starting coming out the gate. Its possible the Pats could have a shot at Carl Davis or Mario Edwards Jr. at the 64, but I think the talent available at OG, WR and RB is much better at the 64 onwards than DT, although I wouldn't be upset if they gambled on a big receiver like Jaelen or DGB and doubled down on an interior pass rusher like Edwards Jr. to duo with Easley.

I think Phillips is the better play here.

The DEN pick ship has sailed.

We were in collaborative mode for a minute, but as explained, Biabreakable hadn't picked twice yet, and was entitled to make that pick. It is fine to question picks after the fact and critique them, so the thread can decide for themselves what makes the most sense, but we aren't rolling the draft back after multiple other picks have been made (including the latest to NO).

NE is up, with TEN on deck, leading off the second round.

Make that TEN is up, followed by TB.

* Just to clarify, we are hitting the reset button, whoever made two picks, can again make two picks in round two, try to make them non-consecutive if possible, but if we hit a lull, knock yourself out. :) Also, if we do hit a lull, we may return temporarily to collaborative mode, as with the BAL Landon Collins pick in round one, for instance.

Still unsure of Denver taking a fourth CB and Johnson weighs only 188 lbs. Also I haven't really seen him much on mocks as a first rounder. Problem is the next two picks would have fit better for them than what is still out there.

I think if a Denver fan wants to change the pick that they should be allowed to.
I'm definitely not a Denver fan but it was not my intent to mess up their team by opting for Kevin Johnson with their pick. I think Johnson is a great football player who maybe should not last this long into the draft.

It is kind of odd to me that no one else stepped in to make the pick. I guess it is kind of a difficult situation to get a good read on. Because the Broncos have been so good, on both sides of the ball. The team really does not have a lot of glaring needs with quality players across the board on both offense and defense.

There is also scheme changes afoot with bringing in Kubiak to be the head coach. This means a return to a more run heavy zone blocking scheme that has favored more quick offensive linemen that can move well that may not need to be such high round picks to work well within the system. Here is an article discussing Kubiaks view on the offensive line group.

As for the defensive line as I already addressed, the Bronco's are moving to a 3-4 defense and already have several good defensive line players who fit their 5 to 6 player rotation. Here is an article talking about that. Now perhaps a defensive line player at pick 28 such as Armstead would be an upgrade for their rotation. But I don't think he is the best player available.

Kevin Johnson is a very versatile defensive back who can play a variety of coverages well and fit into many difference schemes and packages. He also could be considered as a Free Safety. Nick O'Malley makes comparisons to Kevin Johnson and Devin McCourty is this article.

In short, Johnson is reminiscent of Devin McCourty early in his career. Johnson will even draw praise for special teams work, like McCourty. Their combine numbers (Johnson in 2015, McCourty in 2010) are remarkably similar as well.

Watching Johnson on film, the way that Wake Forest used him is similar to what fans witnessed the Patriots doing with their smaller corners for a while: lots of zone, lots of deep coverage, a focus on keeping completions short.

But also like McCourty, Johnson has great instincts, reads plays well and has fantastic on-field anticipation, whether it's route combinations or plays in the backfield.

On this play vs. Clemson, Johnson appears to drop back in a cover 4 quarters coverage, and has the flexibility to crash down on breaking routes. Here, he sees the tight end coming around on a deep curl, jumps the route and makes the interception.

Teams liked to pick on the way Wake Forest lined Johnson upwards of eight yards off the ball to prevent getting beaten deep. However, he does have the anticipation and closing speed to make teams pay when they do.

Here's the thing, though: Johnson is more than just a zone coverage guy.

Probably the biggest difference between Johnson and McCourty is how much more comfortable Johnson looks when playing tight man-to-man and sticking with a receiver down the field. He consistently gets in good position, particularly against bigger receivers. More importantly, he gets his head around to find the ball, a chronic problem for the maligned New England secondaries of the past decade.

On this play vs. Florida State, Johnson is left on an island and goes stride-for-stride with one of the best receivers in the country (Rashad Green), though he gets away with a hold there. However, he shuts Bobo Wilson later in the game just as effectively (and cleanly).

Johnson is disciplined in run defense, but isn't exactly coming down in the box and destroying people. He's best when he's seeing a play develop and has room to come down and slash through blocks rather than shed them.

For example, this play vs. Florida State: Johnson is lined eight yards off the ball, reads the WR screen, slips the block ands get Rashad Greene by the ankles for a loss. He does a similar thing here vs. Clemson, but again, it's all anticipation and slipperiness. He's not a run-stuffer.

I might have taken an OL like Erving, but another thing to consider, DEN now needs to get past teams like NE and IND in the AFC with top QBs, so in that context, not sure they can have too many CBs.

Look at what the Jets just did, they added CBs Revis, Cromartie and Skrine to be Brady killers.

I might have taken an OL like Erving, but another thing to consider, DEN now needs to get past teams like NE and IND in the AFC with top QBs, so in that context, not sure they can have too many CBs.

Look at what the Jets just did, they added CBs Revis, Cromartie and Skrine to be Brady killers.
It worked so well 4 years ago. Good luck :D

Packers select Arik Armstead, DL, Oregon

Great fit. Immediately becomes the Pack's best DL.
This is the pick I would have made for Green Bay also. I endorse totally. Can get a LB in round 2 and not even sure we need an ILB that bad. Matthews can go there on running downs and move outside still on passing plays with nickel. Barrington looked good last year as the other guy. Could even go a rush LB in round 2 if they want instead if Perry does not work out. CB or DE seem to be huge needs.

I really thought Armstead fit Denver with the new 3-4 they are going to run.

If New Orleans is on the clock and we can make more than one pick provided it for another team then the Saints need a cornerback and this guy is still out there and would fit.

Collins, Jalen CB 6'1" 203 LSU
The Saints land two guys named Collins from LSU. Awesome.

Okay, I'll get this going...

2.33 - Tennessee - P.J. Williams, CB - FSU

Edit: Well, I tried. :kicksrock:

Thanks for pulling the rip cord on round two, you still have a pick.

TB is up, OAK on deck, and I think I have some pick suggestions for the latter via PM, so hold up on that pick. I earlier said no dibs to speed things up, but now that we are officially in crawl mode ( :) ), sending PMs could be a way to make a pick in advance if still there, which I can do, on a FCFS basis, of course. I will be leaving for 3-4 hours about noon PST, so let's see how much progress we make between now and then.

Round 2

33) TEN -Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon

P.J. Williams, CB Florida St.

34) TB - - Jameis Winston, QB Florida St.

Tampa Bay lost two defensive ends in free agency, Michael Johnson and Adrian Clayborn but they could also use a guard according to Walter Football.

Guard: Perhaps Tampa's biggest area on its troubled offensive line is at right guard. Luckily, there will be plenty of guard prospects worth considering atop Round 2 of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Two Defensive Ends: Michael Johnson didn't meet expectations as a free-agent addition, which wasn't much of a surprise. He was released, so the Buccaneers now need defensive ends.

Link to team need page for the rest of the teams: http://walterfootball.com/offseason.php

35) OAK -Amari Cooper, WR Alabama
36) JAX -Leonard Williams, DE USC
37) NYJ -Vic Beasley, LB Clemson
38) WAS -Dante Fowler, DE/LB Florida
39) CHI -Danny Shelton, DT Washington
40) NYG -Brandon Scherff, G/T Iowa
41) STL -Kevin White, WR W. Virginia
42) ATL -Randy Gregory, DE Nebraska
43) CLE -DGB, WR = (from BUF) - Eli Harold, LB Virginia
44) NO -La'el Collins, G/T LSU = (from SEA) - Jalen Collins, CB LSU
45) MIN -DeVante Parker, WR Louisville
46) SF -Alvin "Bud" Dupree, LB Kentucky
47) MIA -Trae Waynes, CB Michigan St.
48) SD -Andrus Peat, OT Stanford
49) KC -Ereck Flowers, OT Miami
50) BUF - *
51) HOU -Erick Kendricks, LB UCLA
52) PHI -Shane Ray, LB Missouri
53) CIN -D.J. Humphries, OT Florida
54) DET -Todd Gurley, RB Georgia
55) ARI -Malcom Brown, DT Texas
56) PIT -Marcus Peters, CB Washington
57) CAR -T.J. Clemmings, OT Pittsburgh
58) BAL -Landon Collins, S Alabama
59) DEN -Kevin Johnson, CB Wake Forest
60) DAL -Melvin Gordon, RB Wisconsin
61) IND -Cameron Erving, C/G/OT Florida St.
62) GB -Arik Armstead, DE Oregon
63) SEA -*
64) NE - Jordan Phillips, DT Oklahoma

Users who are viewing this thread