What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Go pick up Prater! (1 Viewer)

andyk803

Footballguy
Lottery Ticket winner!!!!

Go pick him up !!!!

Free agent kickers Matt Prater and Jay Feely will work out for the Lions on Tuesday.

Prater, who has long been one of the best kickers in the league, is the favorite to replace Alex Henery, who was waived on Monday. Prater would still be kicking for the Broncos if not for his four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Related: Lions

You do realize that 90% of Prater's value was that he kicked for Denver and in the thinner air, right? Outside of Denver, I'd say he's "Just a Kicker."

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize that 90% of Prater's value was that he kicked for Denver and in the thinner air, right? Outside of Denver, I'd say he's "Just a Kicker."
Likely true but in the Lion offense, he would still be an instant top 10 every week kicker.

Prater is a good kicker and will be going to another good situation, but no kicker is a winning lottery ticket.

Kickers more than any other position in fantasy football is pretty luck driven.

I haven't seen so much enthusiasm for a kicker since Morten Andersen was in the league.

Regardless of how strong a leg Prater may have, his success is still going to hinge on opportunities outside of his control.

Picked him up. Dropped Suisham for him.

I think he's better than just a thin-air kicker. I think he's pretty good regardless. Plus, he's going to play a lot of games in a dome on turf.

My two cents.

Why is everyone rushing to pick up a kicker? Prater when the Lions are also working out Feely and Barth?
Fixed.

I agree with others who have said kickers are a crap shoot. They're important in fantasy, but basically impossible to predict. I typically roll with WW kickers. I NEVER draft one, and I use them to hold guys in between weeks while injuries sort out. I typically still end up in the top half of kicker points just by grabbing guys based on matchups.

I agree with the sentiment that Prater is thought of too highly. His leg looks big kicking in Denver and he scored a lot of points in that offense. It's not that Prater is bad but he would be a decent kicker on a decent offense provided Calvin is healthy. Right now Calvin's and Bush's health are in question too.

I haven't seen so much enthusiasm for a kicker since Morten Andersen was in the league.

Regardless of how strong a leg Prater may have, his success is still going to hinge on opportunities outside of his control.
I'll pass. Kickers are a big crapshoot.
Yeah. With Johnson and Bush out, I'm not sure whether his value goes up or down.
Glass is half full thinking is with those weapons out TD chances decline as Lions stall more in or near the Red Zone. I think a healthy Bell can replace Bush. Obviously no one is replacing Megatron but Tate's playing well and if they can get Ebron involved consistently there's reason to believe they can at least move the ball between the 20s.

Shutout said:
Fat Nick said:
Likely true but in the Lion offense, he would still be an instant top 10 every week kicker.
Calvin is likely to miss a couple weeks and the Lions are down to their 4th-string RB. And their offense didn't look all that great even when everyone was healthy.

Aside from being in a dome, I wouldn't call Detroit a great place to kick right now.

Fat Nick said:
Meh. Home games in a dome. Don't discount that. Good offense that could struggle in the red zone and not convert as many TDs, leaving plenty of FG chances. A lot to like about the situation.
I hear you...there's definately plusses...I guess my thing is that I just don't feel you can predict kickers well enough to make anything about them a priority.

Shutout said:
Fat Nick said:
Calvin is likely to miss a couple weeks and the Lions are down to their 4th-string RB. And their offense didn't look all that great even when everyone was healthy.

Aside from being in a dome, I wouldn't call Detroit a great place to kick right now.
agreed, more downside then upside

i was going to pick him up but,,,,looked why denver released him,,,,he missed 2 kicks over 50 yards wide left....i think ill pass on this guy

i was going to pick him up but,,,,looked why denver released him,,,,he missed 2 kicks over 50 yards wide left....i think ill pass on this guy
maybe being released is a wake up call and he plays with a chip on his shoulder ...hammering 50 yarders like Peyton throws TD`s :cool:

nah, I was able to get Brandon McManus because most people thought Prater was coming back and left him on the waiver wire

best part is he already had his bye

Shutout said:
Fat Nick said:

he hasnt even won the job yet

IIRC Buffalo leads the league in FGA w/ 15, and then 4 teams have attempted 13. The Lions have attempted 12.

Not so sure going forward in the immediate term. We had a functioning Calvin for three of those games, decoy in two more and now we have no Calvin and some issues at RB.

Not so sure going forward in the immediate term. We had a functioning Calvin for three of those games, decoy in two more and now we have no Calvin and some issues at RB.
But now we got ourselves some George Winn and a Golden Tate!

Unfortunately our top ten pick TE can't catch a cold and still doesn't know the playbook.

nah, I was able to get Brandon McManus because most people thought Prater was coming back and left him on the waiver wire

best part is he already had his bye
This is what cracks me up. I won't bump the McManus thread (there is one...) but isn't that the real "Grab This Kicker!" thread?

No. 1 kicking position from 2013 opens up like the parting sky and not a peep. Hardly seems to be any movement on him too.

I'll stick with my Chandler Catanzaro. You can count on the Cardinals to move the ball down the field, stall, and settle for a field goal on almost every drive.

I like Prater w/ the Lions

solid O, good D setting up a short field, and they might struggle in the red zone with all of the RB injuries

I think that he may outscore McManus the rest of the way

I'll stick with my Chandler Catanzaro. You can count on the Cardinals to move the ball down the field, stall, and settle for a field goal on almost every drive.
dropped parkey for catanzaro last week, but w/ zona looking at starting the 3rd string qb this week, probably going to go back to parkey or prater.

There are 3 parts to a FG kicker, long snapper-holder-kicker. Just wondering if Lions first 2 parts in any way messed up the 1st couple of kickers that made the team. :shrug:

From the bar?
:lmao:

I got a kick out of this. Thanks.

He did miss one from forty-four (?) and one from fifty, which is forgivable, but still...his history is a lot different than I thought it was.

There are 3 parts to a FG kicker, long snapper-holder-kicker. Just wondering if Lions first 2 parts in any way messed up the 1st couple of kickers that made the team. :shrug:
This is very true. I have a hard time believing a professional team hasn't invested correctly in a long snapper and holder, but one never knows. Weirder stuff has happened.

Rough start, but I think he's top 5 moving forward. Plenty of FGs and a fair amount of extra pts. They also seem to trust him from long range, so he'll get a chance at some long ones (both good and bad).

I'm going to chalk this one up to nerves, wind, and first game back. He will be a monster scorer the rest of the way, esp. with the Lions offense stalling frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread