What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gold Rush: Alaska (3 Viewers)

The entire premise of the show is B S, but it is still fun to watch. DC is paying them. They will walk with $ no matter what happens.

Having said that, they are genuinley stupid across the board. Why bring their families? Why drink untreated stream water even if it is Alaska? Why didn't the wives help more? Men in the military leave their families behind for much longer periods of time. I would have rented the women out to the old guy who runs the mine next door for his advice as a porject manager. That would be the only good reason to have the wives there.

Harness is also a jerk, which has only become obvious since Fred showed up, and not coincidentally, that was when they started to find gold. Harness has a very delicate ego, and can't stand the fact that Fred knows much more about mining and the equipment. For Harness no gold and no Fred is better than finding gold and having Fred around.

Todd's father... he is the old guy at the end of a dive bar talking out loud while no one listens.

They gave up on the wave table too qucikly, and why didn't they do some test runs before using mined dirt? I'll guess they lost at least a few ounces of gold there.

Harness and his wife... geeze. Harness has no common sense whatsoever, except for when he went fishing. Joy whining about going back to camp was freakin ridiculous. Then Harness tries to show off his wounds from the "fight" and he wasn't even scratched, but complained it was hard to breathe. The man has obviously never taken a real beating in his life time.

I knew it would be fun when in the first episode the old man crushed the side of his truck with the back hoe. He almost crushed that 4 wheeler in the river, then Todd broke the the platform again, with a back hoe.

They should all just shut up and do whatever Fred tells them to do. Half the time Fred can't even find most of them. I bet Fred wishes he were 20 years younger... he'd be kicking #### all over the place.

Still, it's fun to watch.

Rovers said:
The entire premise of the show is B S, but it is still fun to watch. DC is paying them. They will walk with $ no matter what happens.

Having said that, they are genuinley stupid across the board. Why bring their families? Why drink untreated stream water even if it is Alaska? Why didn't the wives help more? Men in the military leave their families behind for much longer periods of time. I would have rented the women out to the old guy who runs the mine next door for his advice as a porject manager. That would be the only good reason to have the wives there.

Harness is also a jerk, which has only become obvious since Fred showed up, and not coincidentally, that was when they started to find gold. Harness has a very delicate ego, and can't stand the fact that Fred knows much more about mining and the equipment. For Harness no gold and no Fred is better than finding gold and having Fred around.

Todd's father... he is the old guy at the end of a dive bar talking out loud while no one listens.

They gave up on the wave table too qucikly, and why didn't they do some test runs before using mined dirt? I'll guess they lost at least a few ounces of gold there.

Harness and his wife... geeze. Harness has no common sense whatsoever, except for when he went fishing. Joy whining about going back to camp was freakin ridiculous. Then Harness tries to show off his wounds from the "fight" and he wasn't even scratched, but complained it was hard to breathe. The man has obviously never taken a real beating in his life time.

I knew it would be fun when in the first episode the old man crushed the side of his truck with the back hoe. He almost crushed that 4 wheeler in the river, then Todd broke the the platform again, with a back hoe.

They should all just shut up and do whatever Fred tells them to do. Half the time Fred can't even find most of them. I bet Fred wishes he were 20 years younger... he'd be kicking #### all over the place.

Guessing you mean Dorsey.

Rovers said:

Guessing you mean Dorsey.
Yep. :shrug:

I love how the old dude pulls random optimistic figures out of his ### and shares them

"There's got to be $6 million in gold down there"

ok gramps

this was a gem too

"If anyone tells you gold mining is easy, they have never done it."

really? why would any of us think gold mining was easy, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Perhaps you fools thought it was easy, but I harbor no such delusions

I can't believe Fred weaseled his way into Porcupine Creek after they did all the work finding where the gold was.

I can't believe Fred weaseled his way into Porcupine Creek after they did all the work finding where the gold was.
I don't think that is set in stone. But I'd be pretty ticked off at that prospect - they did 90% of the work. If Fred does weasel into it all he has to do is widen things out to make for a good ramp to the hole and dig out tons of dirt. :thumbup:

I don't think that is set in stone. But I'd be pretty ticked off at that prospect - they did 90% of the work. If Fred does weasel into it all he has to do is widen things out to make for a good ramp to the hole and dig out tons of dirt. :thumbup:
Sounded like a done deal on the last show. Isn't that why they were looking at new claims 400 miles north?

Sounded like a done deal on the last show. Isn't that why they were looking at new claims 400 miles north?
It isn't a done deal. They looked up north just in case. I think they said it twice during the show that they weren't sure if they would be back to Porcupine. the producers had to stage the meeting when Fred said he might get his own crew to go up to porcupine. I would have beat the crap out of him for saying that then. The Hoffman's are not the sharpest knives in the drawer and neither is there crew. Can't see them ever getting a lot of gold.

Good first episode. Todd is a complete screw up. How did that guy every accumulate the bank to fund this operation?
Look at his dad, he never had much of a chance, did he? ;) I still feel bad for him. That was a jerk move he had pulled on him.
He should of at least come clean with his crew for missing a payment which caused the lease to be cancelled.I'm guessing his intention was to hit Klondike with all of his resources even though his dad wanted to stay in Porcupine which is why a lease payment was missed on Porcupine.

Last edited by a moderator:
One entire year later and these guys are dumber then they were before. Is that even possible? How nice of them to work a week on Fred's claim helping him clear it out before getting thrown off.

Call me dumb, but before I go on a trip like this, I know that my place is booked. DC must have paid a ton to get them into a different claim or get them their water permit, because season 2 just ended otherwise.

One entire year later and these guys are dumber then they were before. Is that even possible? How nice of them to work a week on Fred's claim helping him clear it out before getting thrown off. Call me dumb, but before I go on a trip like this, I know that my place is booked. DC must have paid a ton to get them into a different claim or get them their water permit, because season 2 just ended otherwise.
Yeah, makes me wonder how much of this stuff is manufactured for tv. Still entertaining though.

Dakota Fred is a giant dooooooosh, but Todd is stilla moron for missing a payment. And where is the 400 excavator? The the old dude just drive it across the river and leave it there?

So, does DC follow Fred as he excavates the Glory Hole this season? Watching these clowns spend another year getting prepared to find gold will be insufferable. I don't care about these JOs, I just want to know if the damn hole had gold in it and how much.

ETA: Actually, I like the mechanic. But the father/son combo are a couple of clowns.

Fred would have never been seen again if it weren't for the camera crew. That 400 can dig a grave deep enough for Fred, his truck, and his trailer.

'Flying V said:
Fred would have never been seen again if it weren't for the camera crew. That 400 can dig a grave deep enough for Fred, his truck, and his trailer.
If you watch the online extras, Dave said the only reason he was trying to stop Greg from harming Fred is because there were cameras there.

In the coming attractions for next week, didn't it make it look like they were going to try and take back Porcupine?

Why would you agree to clear out in just 2 days? Just keep mining it and wait for the authorities to throw you off the claim. They likely could stall the whole season and I would just keep all of that gold until it was settled in court.

Why would you agree to clear out in just 2 days? Just keep mining it and wait for the authorities to throw you off the claim. They likely could stall the whole season and I would just keep all of that gold until it was settled in court.
If he has legal claim to the land then you would be responsible for giving him all the gold you took or the value of it.

If he has legal claim to the land then you would be responsible for giving him all the gold you took or the value of it.
I bet it's gray though. Does the lease specifically say if sold, you need to vacate immediately within 48 hours? I hear the thing about the missed payment, but were subsequent payments cashed? Why didn't the owner notify the people leasing? When the authorities came out, I would show them the lease I signed and besides this jackass claiming the land is his I have heard nothing from the person I signed the lease with. and then when that person gave me written authority to vacate, I would demand 30 days to check all of the paperwork, my legal rights and to get the equipment out of there. Before the end of the 30 days, I would attempt to counter-sue that proper protocol was not followed and state that the lease is still in play. I think it would be very easy to drag this out for months while you continue to mine it.

After a sinister and threatening call with Fred let's pack up all of this equipment, drive everyone up to Alaska and then find out what the hubbub was about??? :confused:

That's why I love this show. :)

Saw this on the Discovery Channel Forum:

In case anybody doesn't realize that the show is totally scripted and edited to death and that it has absolutely no base in reality - here is a statement from Fred's web page that ought to put the entire premise of the show bed.

Fred has stated the following on his own facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001180396476&sk=wall):

Fred Hurt: "What has America become? A crowd of blind haters, sucked into the contrived, misrepresented portrayal of "Reality TV"? The editors should be held accountable for altering words, and, deleting critical information that sheds a whole new light on the facts. Before the season started, I voiced great concern about how I was portrayed last year, and insisted Discovery clarify WHY the Hoffmans were going to the Yukon. 99% of that clarification was deleted from the show. The Hoffmans asked to be released from their lease. The owner, embarrassed both personally and professionally by the Hoffmans, immediately put the claim up for sale. He had 3 offers to buy the claim. Had Discovery aired this filmed sequence, and divulged what the Hoffmans knew, the public would have a totally different opinion. I am only giving out this information, possibly in violation of my aggreement with Discovery, because of the serious nature of death threats to me, both direct and implied. If the FBI has to get involved, so be it. This is what America has become. A crowd jerked around by overzealous editors, eager for ratings. You are focusing on the wrong person. I have NO control of the way it gets edited."
Interesting.

'rick6668 said:
Saw this on the Discovery Channel Forum:

In case anybody doesn't realize that the show is totally scripted and edited to death and that it has absolutely no base in reality - here is a statement from Fred's web page that ought to put the entire premise of the show bed.

Fred has stated the following on his own facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001180396476&sk=wall):

Fred Hurt: "What has America become? A crowd of blind haters, sucked into the contrived, misrepresented portrayal of "Reality TV"? The editors should be held accountable for altering words, and, deleting critical information that sheds a whole new light on the facts. Before the season started, I voiced great concern about how I was portrayed last year, and insisted Discovery clarify WHY the Hoffmans were going to the Yukon. 99% of that clarification was deleted from the show. The Hoffmans asked to be released from their lease. The owner, embarrassed both personally and professionally by the Hoffmans, immediately put the claim up for sale. He had 3 offers to buy the claim. Had Discovery aired this filmed sequence, and divulged what the Hoffmans knew, the public would have a totally different opinion. I am only giving out this information, possibly in violation of my aggreement with Discovery, because of the serious nature of death threats to me, both direct and implied. If the FBI has to get involved, so be it. This is what America has become. A crowd jerked around by overzealous editors, eager for ratings. You are focusing on the wrong person. I have NO control of the way it gets edited."
Interesting.
Does he give an explanation of why he would not tell Todd over the phone that he bought the claim? I would think that would diffuse a lot of the drama and Todd would not have bought/transported all of that equipment to Porcupine.

we did so well on mine #1 we'll try for mine #2 and in the process not make a payment on mine #1 and lose it

BRILLIANT!

Why the heck did they even go to Porcupine if they were already out of the lease or wanted out? Obviously, the whole thing is scripted to some degree, but they just wasted a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread