What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gold Rush: Alaska (1 Viewer)

I've given up on this show. It seems like every episode they are about to try something that is either going to make or break them, and when it fails, they just continue on to the next failure. I think the only thing they are good at is whining. I'd rather watch the show about Alaskan bush pilots that comes on right after.
me tooAriel Tweeto :wub:
:hot: Stay away from my girl, now.
:boxing:

Can someone explain to me why the Hoffmans didnt just crank up the water pressure instead of going to buy and rig up a sluice?

And the sluice...why did they risk lifting all of the machinery and building it up when all they needed to do was dig a depression for the sluice to fit down in at 15 degree angle?

Can someone explain to me why the Hoffmans didnt just crank up the water pressure instead of going to buy and rig up a sluice?

And the sluice...why did they risk lifting all of the machinery and building it up when all they needed to do was dig a depression for the sluice to fit down in at 15 degree angle?
:yes: Either they don't have a clue what they are doing, or they've got a deal lined up for Season 3 and The Discovery Channel needs them to draw things out as long as humanly possible so they can fill-up enough episodes in Season 2. Or both. Seriously...you've got heavy-duty equipment everywhere, designed to move yards and yards of dirt, and you decide that the best thing to do is to lift your one piece of equipment where, if it breaks, you're done for an extended period (in a very short mining season)?! :shrug: People can't seriously be that dumb, can they?!The annoying thing about this season is that all it's been (on all three mining camps) is them being mechanics. That's fine for a few episodes, but that's all it's been. Seriously...have the three camps (combined) found more than $10,000-$15,000 in gold yet? Don't get me wrong, I love watching the show! But it's getting old, all the "eternal hope" and shows about their equipment. Run some ####ing dirt! [/rant]

They don't sensationalize at all.
:rolleyes: "Everything they've done. All the blood, sweat, and tears. Their families, their country, their lives are all on the line. If they don't find gold here they are done."No gold found."Tune in next week . . ."Rinse/wash/repeat

'tdoss said:

I don't think increased pressure would have helped if they were even capable of increasing it through those holes.The problem I have is it looked like they found quite a bit of gold in that last sluice trench. If there was really that much gold, they would have panned all of the sand in all trenches - not just tossed it aside. I think that extra gold was planted by Discovery , they found more gold then what they wanted to see, and Discovery said to add more so it was more visible to the audience.

'tdoss said:

Was wondering this exact thing as I was watching. But I'm guessing maybe it was because then you'd have a ditch at the end and it would get backed up with materials?

'tdoss said:

Was wondering this exact thing as I was watching. But I'm guessing maybe it was because then you'd have a ditch at the end and it would get backed up with materials?
I thought that for a moment but then I watch the kid at the other camp move enough dirt to destroy a mountain.And what's with the old dude at Porcupine? We're running large rocks through this thing...they're piling up...they could get into our sluice box and destroy everything...what shall we do? I know...keep it running...keep filling it up and roll the dice.

It's just dumb...shut the thing off for ten minutes and move the stupid rocks that are piling up before they destroy your operation.

'tdoss said:

I thought that for a moment but then I watch the kid at the other camp move enough dirt to destroy a mountain.And what's with the old dude at Porcupine? We're running large rocks through this thing...they're piling up...they could get into our sluice box and destroy everything...what shall we do? I know...keep it running...keep filling it up and roll the dice.

It's just dumb...shut the thing off for ten minutes and move the stupid rocks that are piling up before they destroy your operation.
:goodposting: :lmao: was saying the same thing, Dakota Fred's no smarter than the Hoffman's

Fred likes his big rocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. The kid gets a pass I think cuz of youth. But the other two operations are pretty dumb.

I think Discovery like any other reality channel does creative editing but I don't think they are planting gold. I think the hit they'd take for being found out would not be worth it.

'Pick said:
They don't sensationalize at all.
:rolleyes: "Everything they've done. All the blood, sweat, and tears. Their families, their country, their lives are all on the line. If they don't find gold here they are done."No gold found."Tune in next week . . ."Rinse/wash/repeat
:confused: Seriously? You may want to actually re-read my post and mull it over a little bit and then get back to me. You may even notice some things that get repeated in every episode and understand what I was trying to say.
They don't sensationalize at all. It's tough out there in the klondike chasing the American dream. Every day they don't run it costs them $1k a day in fuel. Every part that breaks could cost them season. Equipment and/or widow makers could kill any one of them at any second. It's raw. It's life or death. There is no exaggeration at all. You act like it is just a bunch of buffoons out there with no idea what they are doing and no plan. That's ridiculous.

There have been a lot of things not go their way and yet they are still there. But Discovery likes to add drama and so makes every setback seem like THE SETBACK. If you wanna buy that then fine. I don't.

There have been a lot of things not go their way and yet they are still there. But Discovery likes to add drama and so makes every setback seem like THE SETBACK. If you wanna buy that then fine. I don't.
:lmao: Dude, I was trying to be incredibly sarcastic and over the top with my post. Of course it is exaggerated. Did you not notice the $1k per day line? I am pretty sure that gets said at least 10 times an episode. Oh well, I tried.

:lmao: Dude, I was trying to be incredibly sarcastic and over the top with my post. Of course it is exaggerated. Did you not notice the $1k per day line? I am pretty sure that gets said at least 10 times an episode. Oh well, I tried.
:bag:

I think the 1K per day might be close, though. Food is a big expense. Gas is everything. Gas for the vehicles, heat, generators, etc.

Are these guys keeping track of wages? I gotta think at this point it's just commission on the gold.

I think the 1K per day might be close, though. Food is a big expense. Gas is everything. Gas for the vehicles, heat, generators, etc.Are these guys keeping track of wages? I gotta think at this point it's just commission on the gold.
I am sure it is close, but I could swear that ever other line by the commentator is about losing $1k per day and the other line is one of the following: a) how someone could get hurt, b) how the season could be over because of equipment failure or bad planning, or c) how much gold is needed for the rest of the season to break even.I used to like this show, but it really is starting to get silly. I guess it wouldn't be as interesting if we were just watching the Pro do a normal routine every day, but the running commentary is literally the same every week now and the show itself including the dialogue is almost the same.

:bag:
:thumbup: No worries. I thought my "It's raw. It's life or death." was enough to avoid having to put the wink smiley.

'tdoss said:

Yeah, if they dug they would have ended up under the local water line and had no drainage. Getting the riffles right is all about getting the waterflow and angle of the sluice to the point where the recirculation induced is just enough to get the gold to fall out. I can see why they didn't have a choice here.

But seriously, how ####ed would the Hoffmans be if they didn't bring Dave with them this year?

Everyone else: Oh, we need to raise the shaker plant 3 feet. How the hell can we do that? I'm shuked.

Dave: How about we use the ####### heavy equipment we have stashed all over the location and latch onto it and pick it up?

Everyone else: Yeah, that heavy equipment, good idea Dave. What about the loading end of the plant though, it's getting too weighed down by the dirt.......

Dave: Ok, I got this crazy idea. Let put some support beams underneath it.

Everyone else: Oh yeah, that's just crazy enough to work.

My god, what is the collective IQ of that crew without Dave? 63, if we're being generous?

But seriously, how ####ed would the Hoffmans be if they didn't bring Dave with them this year?

Everyone else: Oh, we need to raise the shaker plant 3 feet. How the hell can we do that? I'm shuked.

Dave: How about we use the ####### heavy equipment we have stashed all over the location and latch onto it and pick it up?

Everyone else: Yeah, that heavy equipment, good idea Dave. What about the loading end of the plant though, it's getting too weighed down by the dirt.......

Dave: Ok, I got this crazy idea. Let put some support beams underneath it.

Everyone else: Oh yeah, that's just crazy enough to work.

My god, what is the collective IQ of that crew without Dave? 63, if we're being generous?
Pretty sure he was the main reason they were able to salvage anything from last season too. Although Harness was a big part of that also.Speaking of Harness, did that whole girlfriend thing seem completely contrived to anyone else? Despite his physical limitations and painkiller issues, the guy has had an incredible work ethic. Then, out of the blue he just leaves the crew high and dry for two days so he can head to town with his girlfriend? Sorry, I'm just not buying that.

Speaking of Harness, did that whole girlfriend thing seem completely contrived to anyone else?
There is not too much to this show that doesn't seem contrived. The interesting thing is just how stupid or bad people are willing to let the producers make them look just to be on TV.

Speaking of Harness, did that whole girlfriend thing seem completely contrived to anyone else? Despite his physical limitations and painkiller issues, the guy has had an incredible work ethic. Then, out of the blue he just leaves the crew high and dry for two days so he can head to town with his girlfriend? Sorry, I'm just not buying that.
I bought it :shrug:

I don't buy the whole contrived thing. I think it's mostly honest. For sure Discovery milks it and will dig for emotion and of course some creative editing.

But think if they made stuff up. If that came out it would not be worth the risk of higher ratings.

Right?

I don't buy the whole contrived thing. I think it's mostly honest. For sure Discovery milks it and will dig for emotion and of course some creative editing.But think if they made stuff up. If that came out it would not be worth the risk of higher ratings.Right?
I don't know, just seemed completely out of character to me. Then again, women will cause guys to do really dumb stuff, so I guess it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like they do similar stuff on their other shows. I did not see the first season of Gold Rush so don't have a good a read on the characters as some of you guys might.

But seriously, how ####ed would the Hoffmans be if they didn't bring Dave with them this year? Everyone else: Oh, we need to raise the shaker plant 3 feet. How the hell can we do that? I'm shuked.Dave: How about we use the ####### heavy equipment we have stashed all over the location and latch onto it and pick it up?Everyone else: Yeah, that heavy equipment, good idea Dave. What about the loading end of the plant though, it's getting too weighed down by the dirt.......Dave: Ok, I got this crazy idea. Let put some support beams underneath it.Everyone else: Oh yeah, that's just crazy enough to work.My god, what is the collective IQ of that crew without Dave? 63, if we're being generous?
This reminds me of when they tried to force a platform onto the plant and it wouldn't fit, so the old man grabs a torch and starts cutting into the main support so that the contraption will fit. I'm sure the engineers put it there just 'cuz.

But seriously, how ####ed would the Hoffmans be if they didn't bring Dave with them this year? Everyone else: Oh, we need to raise the shaker plant 3 feet. How the hell can we do that? I'm shuked.Dave: How about we use the ####### heavy equipment we have stashed all over the location and latch onto it and pick it up?Everyone else: Yeah, that heavy equipment, good idea Dave. What about the loading end of the plant though, it's getting too weighed down by the dirt.......Dave: Ok, I got this crazy idea. Let put some support beams underneath it.Everyone else: Oh yeah, that's just crazy enough to work.My god, what is the collective IQ of that crew without Dave? 63, if we're being generous?
This reminds me of when they tried to force a platform onto the plant and it wouldn't fit, so the old man grabs a torch and starts cutting into the main support so that the contraption will fit. I'm sure the engineers put it there just 'cuz.
I think that may be the one they just removed and threw away. At least i hope so.

I've given up on this show. It seems like every episode they are about to try something that is either going to make or break them, and when it fails, they just continue on to the next failure. I think the only thing they are good at is whining. I'd rather watch the show about Alaskan bush pilots that comes on right after.
:goodposting: I said the same thing the other night. It's become entirely too predictable. I'll probably watch this week again though I'm sure. :bag:

You know how in bullfights you sometimes end up cheering for the bulls?

In this show I'd like to see the Schnobel kid come out clean, but for the other two I'm kinda cheering for the bulls.

I just started watching and it seems really interesting and entertaining. Those pilots are nuts.And Ariel cracks me up. The episode I watched last she was talking about what a good arm workout she got loading cases of soda onto the plane. :lmao:

I think that may be the one they just removed and threw away. At least i hope so.
Nah, this was a set of riffles or something, and the pivot that it hangs on was welded in the wrong place. Thurber (I think) figured it out and moved the piece before Jack could cut the plant in half.

these people are such idiots I never ever want them to find gold. When they see something shiny it pisses me off.

Yet if i flip by and it is on I almost always end up stopping

damn you discovery

stupid old man: "I'll wager there's 30 gazillion dollars of gold down there just waiting for us!"

stupid other would-be-miners: "Really Yukon Cornelius, do you think so???"

:headexplode:

kind of interesting to see the group dynamics between miners and camera crew (they hate each other), was hoping to see more of the story line, oh well

Do they want people not to watch? I just went to the website and the show will start again Friday. :confused:
They probably figured that people would be pretty busy on Friday nights the weeks of Christmas and New Years so they'd wait until after to pick up on the new shows. Makes sense to me. :shrug:

Based on the aftershow special that just aired, it sounds like the Hoffman's shut down production based on the direction of the show (showing Dakota Fred and the kid a lot and making the Hoffman's look like idiots). With the show having huge ratings, I think Discovery opted to show those other shows while they tried to patch things up. Those other shows also try and show the Hoffman's and their crew in a lot better light.

Based on the aftershow special that just aired, it sounds like the Hoffman's shut down production based on the direction of the show (showing Dakota Fred and the kid a lot and making the Hoffman's look like idiots). With the show having huge ratings, I think Discovery opted to show those other shows while they tried to patch things up. Those other shows also try and show the Hoffman's and their crew in a lot better light.
I assumed the whole season was filmed already, are you saying the Hoffman's told Discovery to stop airing the footage already filmed or that they could not film any more (and hence there was only a week or two delay between filming and airing on TV).Either way on the behind the scenes episode you could tell there was bad blood between the Hoffman's and the camera crew based on all behind the back talking about the other side. It looked like the Hoffman's were frustrated with their failures, they blamed the camera crew to an extent for "getting in their way", when in reality they were probably embarrassed and didn't want their failures aired on national TV.

I assumed the whole season was filmed already, are you saying the Hoffman's told Discovery to stop airing the footage already filmed or that they could not film any more (and hence there was only a week or two delay between filming and airing on TV).Either way on the behind the scenes episode you could tell there was bad blood between the Hoffman's and the camera crew based on all behind the back talking about the other side. It looked like the Hoffman's were frustrated with their failures, they blamed the camera crew to an extent for "getting in their way", when in reality they were probably embarrassed and didn't want their failures aired on national TV.
Yeah, the mining season is long over.

What was never addressed was how much money Discovery is paying the Hoffmanns (and Dakota Fred and the kid) for filming the mining operations.

Where's the dude with the bad back, did he quit?That water "filter" looks pretty ghetto
He had to go back to Oregon for another back surgery.Did anyone notice in last weeks episode (I think it was last weeks) when mom was visiting with grandpa, kid walks in with his pan full of gold and it showed several large nuggets. Then he goes to weigh it and it was only a few ounces of sand like gold. Where the hell did all those nuggets go that they just showed??

I love how both sites were shut down by the inspectors this week. What a bunch of idiots to go on a tv show and not have all the proper paperwork in place. Next up, the Hoffmans should get a visit, you know that they have no clue about what real paperwork and permits that they are supposed to have.

These guys are not FBG's

cue voice-over

The Hoffman's goal is 100 ounces so that they can split 50k at the end of the season
"a thousand billion dollars"

Really!?!
:goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: These guys could be making more money working at McDowell's. I was all ready for the big pay day on the last episode but they screw that up too. You could see the freaking gold with the naked eye. What a bunch of nitwits. Big fan of Parker & his grandpa though.

Users who are viewing this thread