What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gold Rush: Alaska (1 Viewer)

Why the heck did they even go to Porcupine if they were already out of the lease or wanted out? Obviously, the whole thing is scripted to some degree, but they just wasted a couple weeks.
A lot of it just doesn't add up, but the crew's reactions to the news about Fred taking the claim seemed pretty genuine. I wonder if Todd knew and didn't let the crew in on it, so they could get the good TV moment.

Why the heck did they even go to Porcupine if they were already out of the lease or wanted out? Obviously, the whole thing is scripted to some degree, but they just wasted a couple weeks.
I didn't get it either. I was hoping they would actually find gold this year. Looks like it will be the same as last year. No way they can get set up in time to make it work financially. It's kind of boring to see them just mess up each episode.

here's the other thing, they keep talking about how they "risked everything" to go hunt gold

and they failed pretty miserably last season

and not only went back this season, but were expanding to 2 mines

So......if you risk everything and lose and somehow manage to double down and risk twice everything the next year, something is not adding up

'rick6668 said:
Saw this on the Discovery Channel Forum:

In case anybody doesn't realize that the show is totally scripted and edited to death and that it has absolutely no base in reality - here is a statement from Fred's web page that ought to put the entire premise of the show bed.

Fred has stated the following on his own facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001180396476&sk=wall):

Fred Hurt: "What has America become? A crowd of blind haters, sucked into the contrived, misrepresented portrayal of "Reality TV"? The editors should be held accountable for altering words, and, deleting critical information that sheds a whole new light on the facts. Before the season started, I voiced great concern about how I was portrayed last year, and insisted Discovery clarify WHY the Hoffmans were going to the Yukon. 99% of that clarification was deleted from the show. The Hoffmans asked to be released from their lease. The owner, embarrassed both personally and professionally by the Hoffmans, immediately put the claim up for sale. He had 3 offers to buy the claim. Had Discovery aired this filmed sequence, and divulged what the Hoffmans knew, the public would have a totally different opinion. I am only giving out this information, possibly in violation of my aggreement with Discovery, because of the serious nature of death threats to me, both direct and implied. If the FBI has to get involved, so be it. This is what America has become. A crowd jerked around by overzealous editors, eager for ratings. You are focusing on the wrong person. I have NO control of the way it gets edited."
Interesting.
Does he give an explanation of why he would not tell Todd over the phone that he bought the claim? I would think that would diffuse a lot of the drama and Todd would not have bought/transported all of that equipment to Porcupine.
His story could be true or could be Fred just trying to save face. Hard to say.

here's the other thing, they keep talking about how they "risked everything" to go hunt goldand they failed pretty miserably last seasonand not only went back this season, but were expanding to 2 minesSo......if you risk everything and lose and somehow manage to double down and risk twice everything the next year, something is not adding up
Discovery is obviously funding some of this...and the Hoffmans own an airport (not mentioned much last season if at all). They really weren't risking it "all." And with some of the guys out of work, it's not like they were putting much up.I wonder what the actual lease cost is on those mines. I know they work out a split, curious as to wha the initial payouts are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the 3 different mines and crews concept of this year better so far. This "Deadliest Catch" style transition increases the drama x3 and adds more people to the mix to help keep things moving better. I like how the 16 year old kid has a better plan of attack then the "stars" of the show Hoffmans.

'The Big Guy said:
I like the 3 different mines and crews concept of this year better so far. This "Deadliest Catch" style transition increases the drama x3 and adds more people to the mix to help keep things moving better. I like how the 16 year old kid has a better plan of attack then the "stars" of the show Hoffmans.
I agree. The Hoffman crew is boring. The Schnabel kid and Dakota Fred story lines are the only interesting thing about this show.. Fred did the right thing getting rid of those guys. A full hour of the Hoffmans digging holes and fixing broken equipment is terrible TV.

Jack and Todd seem completely incompetent, but something tells me they're still going to end up with a bunch of gold this year. And for the sake of the rest of that crew, I hope they do.

Dakota Fred is completely unlikable.

The Schnabel kid is the complete opposite. Rooting for him, big time.

Jack and Todd seem completely incompetent, but something tells me they're still going to end up with a bunch of gold this year. And for the sake of the rest of that crew, I hope they do.Dakota Fred is completely unlikable.The Schnabel kid is the complete opposite. Rooting for him, big time.
:goodposting: I only like the construction guy from Todd's crew maybe his name is Dave.

Jack and Todd seem completely incompetent, but something tells me they're still going to end up with a bunch of gold this year. And for the sake of the rest of that crew, I hope they do.

:goodposting: I only like the construction guy from Todd's crew maybe his name is Dave.
I like Dave a lot. But I also like Thurber, Greg, and Harness. Haven't seen as much of Harness so far this season.

Pure comedy. The old man, Jack, is the most annoying human I may have ever seen on reality TV. It's amazing, he makes Heidi Fleiss look good. Wow.

Jack and Todd seem completely incompetent, but something tells me they're still going to end up with a bunch of gold this year. And for the sake of the rest of that crew, I hope they do.Dakota Fred is completely unlikable.The Schnabel kid is the complete opposite. Rooting for him, big time.
Don't you worry the crew will be fine. Discovery has them well taken care of. And I have the feeling they will "find" a fair amount gold this season too. Mainly to help keep the ratings up and to get a season 3.Did like Fred last season but boy you are right about him this season.That kid is beyond his years and is a go getter!

I find this season less interesting--too much jumping around between the mines which caused the narrator to re-state everything we just saw 5 minutes ago. The overly dramatic build-ups are too contrived too. "If they aren't able to pump gas into their truck, they'll never make it to the Yukon and their season will be over..." Though since the Hoffman's make the cast of Jersey Shore look like Rhodes Scholars, I guess you still have some doubt...

I'm just tuning in this season. Jesus this show moves slowly. 2 groups haven't even started mining yet. And my god that Hoffman group is stupid.

'DA RAIDERS said:
I'm just tuning in this season. Jesus this show moves slowly. 2 groups haven't even started mining yet. And my god that Hoffman group is stupid.
They just made the kid $2k, he's going to turn around and sell it to Dakota Fred for $12k, :lmao:They might still turn a profit, but they did not plan this well and the old man is a loose cannon, they need to get him under control or I fear something bad is going to happen.

I find this season less interesting--too much jumping around between the mines which caused the narrator to re-state everything we just saw 5 minutes ago. The overly dramatic build-ups are too contrived too. "If they aren't able to pump gas into their truck, they'll never make it to the Yukon and their season will be over..." Though since the Hoffman's make the cast of Jersey Shore look like Rhodes Scholars, I guess you still have some doubt...
It does get a bit repetitious, but watching 3 mining operations is more interesting that just watching the Hoffmans stumble around every week.

Gotta be an influx of miners at some point given that someone with capital is gonna watch this show and think "Geez, I can do better than these morons". I gotta think most operations aren't this chaotic, right?

Somebody help me with the math. If everything costs $1000 a day to run, how does it only cost $1000 a day to run the mine.

I love the show... mainly started watching it because I'm involved in the mining industry. Then quickly realized that the Jack/Todd team are destined to be chasing gold and treading water for as long as they can get a crew to chase the dream with them. Tonight's episode is a prime example, ~45 days into a 150 day mining season, and they JUST decided to test drill their claim to see if there's gold present? And the old man was on the fence whether this is money well spent? Would never happen in real life.To your point on Dakota Fred, tonight my wife decided to watch "this show" that my daughter and I talk about on Saturday's... so of course without prior basis she loves Dakota Fred.

I haven't seen this most recent one, but whatever happens to Fred, I won't feel bad at all. Some people are just ##### to the core, and he is one. And at his age, he should know better.

I haven't seen this most recent one, but whatever happens to Fred, I won't feel bad at all. Some people are just ##### to the core, and he is one. And at his age, he should know better.
Yeah, that's the funny part. My wife hasn't seen any of the other episodes... so Fred the nicest guy with the worst luck in her eyes.

Today's episode is a nice solid demonstration of why there is a gap between the 1% and the 99% of this world. For a year and half they have been up in the richest gold area of the world, puttering around without a clue, hoping to stumble upon the riches vs the person who has taken the time and effort to learn his craft and is a professional at what he does. This can include the kid and his grandpa too, since for a real experienced guy, seems to have nothing other then a feel for where the gold lies???

They are all buffoons who deserve to go broke.

Today's episode is a nice solid demonstration of why there is a gap between the 1% and the 99% of this world. For a year and half they have been up in the richest gold area of the world, puttering around without a clue, hoping to stumble upon the riches vs the person who has taken the time and effort to learn his craft and is a professional at what he does. This can include the kid and his grandpa too, since for a real experienced guy, seems to have nothing other then a feel for where the gold lies???They are all buffoons who deserve to go broke.
:goodposting: So finally in their 2nd year they decide to spend an extra couple of thousands to drill test holes rather than just dig where the old man feels like it? I guess I assumed they'd done that in the past. I can't believe they spent all last year and all that time and money digging on a hunch. Drilling a bunch of test holes first seems like mining 101.

and the old man still fought the idea. hes a big part of whats holding them back
Like I eluded to in a previous post, test drilling is automatic. Even if we are to believe that they just hatched this plan on a cocktail napkin, surely they would have budgeted for test-drilling because it pays for itself either way;-1) You hit paydirt and recoup the cost of the drilling-2) You find nothing and save all of the $$$ associated with fuel, labor, permits, etc.Hard to believe that entire Klondike claim hasn't been drilled/mapped already given the previous dredging operation that took place there.Not sure how "real" this reality series is sometimes... but it's entertaining!

Every time Todd or his dad say I have a feeling, DRINK. You'll be blasted before the 2nd commercial break. Only feeling you have Todd is the heartburn from eating an entire pizza at lunch you fat tub.

Ya, what a half-assed operation some of these guys run. I like that they are up there trying to make things work on the cheap and all but some stuff just should be done and it's clear a lot of these guys have no clue WTF they are doing.

Fast forwarded through most of this episode. This is getting unwatchable. I'd keep watching the show if it was only about the kid and his grandpa. The Hoffman crew is a snooze fest at this point.

There needs to be a fight. Stage it, whatever it takes, but a big brawl is necessary.

I've given up on this show. It seems like every episode they are about to try something that is either going to make or break them, and when it fails, they just continue on to the next failure. I think the only thing they are good at is whining. I'd rather watch the show about Alaskan bush pilots that comes on right after.

The worst part of the show has become the sensationalized narrating. Cringe-worthy.
I've noticed this a lot on other shows as well. Like Swords I think it's called. And that new one, Big Shrimpin. And all these new redneck ones they got. It's bad. Then you listen to Mike Rowe again and realize how good he is on Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs.The less real content they have to work with, the more they try and sensationalize it. It's all about their target market.

I've given up on this show. It seems like every episode they are about to try something that is either going to make or break them, and when it fails, they just continue on to the next failure. I think the only thing they are good at is whining. I'd rather watch the show about Alaskan bush pilots that comes on right after.
me tooAriel Tweeto :wub:

me tooAriel Tweeto :wub:
:hot: Stay away from my girl, now.

The worst part of the show has become the sensationalized narrating. Cringe-worthy.
I've noticed this a lot on other shows as well. Like Swords I think it's called. And that new one, Big Shrimpin. And all these new redneck ones they got. It's bad. Then you listen to Mike Rowe again and realize how good he is on Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs.The less real content they have to work with, the more they try and sensationalize it. It's all about their target market.
:confused: They don't sensationalize at all. It's tough out there in the klondike chasing the American dream. Every day they don't run it costs them $1k a day in fuel. Every part that breaks could cost them season. Equipment and/or widow makers could kill any one of them at any second. It's raw. It's life or death. There is no exaggeration at all. You act like it is just a bunch of buffoons out there with no idea what they are doing and no plan. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread