What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Good wines around $10 (1 Viewer)

My wife drinks a lot of Chateau Ste. Michelle whites and really likes them. Especially the sauvignon blanc and riesling. And the occasional pinot gris.

I will echo what cosjobs said about New Zealand sauvignon blancs. Lots of really good wines at this price level.
Kim Crawford is another. We are big fans. Whitehaven is our go to, but never a $10 bottle :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
NetnautX said:
Any Reisling recommendations?
Sea Glass Sav Blanc
sea glass does a Riesling you might like. there are many reasonably priced rieslings out of germany and france.
I like Robert Weil - its more in the dry category of Rieslings
Sea Glass Riesling is a bit too sweet for me so I will check out Robert Weil.
Villa Wolf Riesling DryJuicy apricot and peach with great acidity

NetnautX said:
Any Reisling recommendations?
Sea Glass Sav Blanc
sea glass does a Riesling you might like. there are many reasonably priced rieslings out of germany and france.
I like Robert Weil - its more in the dry category of Rieslings
Sea Glass Riesling is a bit too sweet for me so I will check out Robert Weil.
i prefer dry riesling, but if i recall he likes them on the sweeter side

For a great value summer white, look for La Place Aramis Blanc from SW France

A blend of the local grape Colombard and some Sauvignon Blanc, I never see it more than $10 a bottle

I'm not much of a wine guy, but I drink the barefoot cab sometimes. I like it just fine. I am familiar with some of the malbecs mentioned in here. I like them as well.

Don Quixote said:
Alamos Malbec is pretty good for $10.
if you feel like splashing out, try the Catena Malbec, thank me later
Agreed.
I like the Catena too and will look for Alamos next time I go. Ninety + Cellars Malbec is good too.

I want to venture more into the Reisling/Sauv Blanc this summer. I'll take a chance on most Chardonnays or Pinot Grigios but the Reislings and Sauv Blanc are really hit or miss. I need to learn a little more about them. Arneis are nice whites too

Some very drinkable cheap cabs:

M Montgomery Estate

Los Vascos

I generally see them on sale for 12 or less. The Los Vascos reserve is particularly good and can be found for 15 or so on some occasions. Los Vascos and M also have nice Chardonnays.

Best thing I've found is to go to a liquor store that posts wine reviews next to the wines. You'd be surprised how many cheap (under $20) wines get rated 90+. Also, in general you'll find better cheap wines from California, South America and Spain. French and Italian wine is mostly just more expensive for similar products.
I agree with the French usually being a little more pricey but there are plenty of Italians at a good price. We prefer old world wines but I do like some South American and Spanish ones. I usually will spend a little more on them, I've had some not very good ones in the $10 range.

Does anybody else drink Rose?

Rarely spends, pairs with food effortlessly, and is an easy quaffer

Rose and smoked salmon is one of my favorite pairings

Got into some Rose's on our trip to the South of France last year. Definitely plan on having them in the fridge this summer.

Apothic red is solid. I have found that all of the Costco Kirkland wines are generally solid values. Their Rioja is great and an absolute bargain at $8-9. Most of them are around $10, including their Malbec.

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.
I like the Catena too and will look for Alamos next time I go. Ninety + Cellars Malbec is good too.

I want to venture more into the Reisling/Sauv Blanc this summer. I'll take a chance on most Chardonnays or Pinot Grigios but the Reislings and Sauv Blanc are really hit or miss. I need to learn a little more about them. Arneis are nice whites too
I've never had a bad Sauvingnon Blanc from New Zealand

ETA: South Africa also has a very high standard in Sauv Blanv

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.

i generally do not like SB from California (too much grapefruit), but enjoy them from bordeaux (often due to blending with semillon), and aust/nz (due to their more topical notes).

Rose for me is for the very sunny day when you are tending the Q. But I switch to white (red if the sun has gone down) when the food hits the table

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.

I'll start looking there then...thx.

I like some that have a nice citrusy taste to them but have had some real cat pissy ones.

Apothic red is solid. I have found that all of the Costco Kirkland wines are generally solid values. Their Rioja is great and an absolute bargain at $8-9. Most of them are around $10, including their Malbec.
More than the price point for this thread, But since you brought it up... they have an Oakville Cab right now for $18 that is out of this world good for the price. I'd love to know whose wine that really is.

My wife drinks a lot of Chateau Ste. Michelle whites and really likes them. Especially the sauvignon blanc and riesling. And the occasional pinot gris.

I will echo what cosjobs said about New Zealand sauvignon blancs. Lots of really good wines at this price level.
Kim Crawford is another. We are big fans. Whitehaven is our go to, but never a $10 bottle :kicksrock:
Was going to mention Kim Crawford since we got it for 12.00 yesterday but it usually more than that in my area.

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.
I like the Catena too and will look for Alamos next time I go. Ninety + Cellars Malbec is good too.I want to venture more into the Reisling/Sauv Blanc this summer. I'll take a chance on most Chardonnays or Pinot Grigios but the Reislings and Sauv Blanc are really hit or miss. I need to learn a little more about them. Arneis are nice whites too
It's funny you mention that as I plan on getting into more white wines and roses this summer. I haven't had arneis before. Will give it a try.

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.
I like the Catena too and will look for Alamos next time I go. Ninety + Cellars Malbec is good too.I want to venture more into the Reisling/Sauv Blanc this summer. I'll take a chance on most Chardonnays or Pinot Grigios but the Reislings and Sauv Blanc are really hit or miss. I need to learn a little more about them. Arneis are nice whites too
I've never had a bad Sauvingnon Blanc from New ZealandETA: South Africa also has a very high standard in Sauv Blanv
If you're going to drink South Africa, drink Chenin BlancJean Daneel makes a fantastic Chenin Blanc

Don Quixote said:
Agreed.
It's funny you mention that as I plan on getting into more white wines and roses this summer. I haven't had arneis before. Will give it a try.
Arneis is a little like a Pinot Grigio with a little more body to it. Not as light.

One of my favorite whites from Italy is Barone di Valforte Pecorino

Last summer a local wine store bought the last of the 2012 vintage from the supplier, got a sick deal, and we're letting them go for $11 a bottle.

Wonderful Italian white

FWIW - I'm a big fan of lastbottlewines.com

Constantly changing deals on wines. Usually free delivery of 6 bottles or more. Great service. I jump on any Italian in the $10 range.

eta: the deals aren't always as great as they make it out to be. I usually do a little research first.

:whitestar:

As I'm sure just about everyone in here already knows, Trader Joe's is a great place to find good, cheap wines. Check out their tasting desk (if your state/county allows it) for some nice weekly samples.
They have a chianti called D'Aquino that is a very good value.
One other note about TJ's - their selection varies regionally.

Side note, I'd rather drink wine than just about anything these days but it seems I end up pouring too much out. I'm a have a glass or 2 on the weekend type. So even at $10-$12 it seems like not a very good value pick. Maybe a box wine? Do they keep better?
Try using an air pump to reseal opened bottles. That should let you keep the bottle for an extra day or two.

For some reason my local shop always orders a few cases of Muldersbosch Rose, only sells a few bottles and I get all the leftovers at half price in Sept. and cellar them until next spring

337 and j lohr ($15) are my wife's favorite cabs. I like them too but prefer zins, malbecs, and blends.

And say what you want about apothic being like the bud light of wines but for $8 bucks I can drink the crap out of that wine.

I like the Ravenswood Red Zinfandel

Also a fan of Querceto Chianti

Both can be had between $10-15 depending on the year.

337 and j lohr ($15) are my wife's favorite cabs. I like them too but prefer zins, malbecs, and blends.

And say what you want about apothic being like the bud light of wines but for $8 bucks I can drink the crap out of that wine.
In reality, you can drink the crap out of it because it is pure sweetness

this would be more like local wine shop/wine bar, rather than Big Box or grocery:

Sherman & Hooker's "Shebang" Old Vine Cuvee' (non-vintage)

the is the best value wine i've ever had.

#inthebusiness

#tradesecret

Recently had the Apothic Red and liked it enough to get another bottle.

Many of the wines I pick up have been mentioned but I will add Boggle to the list.

Side note, I'd rather drink wine than just about anything these days but it seems I end up pouring too much out. I'm a have a glass or 2 on the weekend type. So even at $10-$12 it seems like not a very good value pick. Maybe a box wine? Do they keep better?
Yes. The box contains a poly bag and the dispenser doesn't allow any oxygen in.

I tried Apothic Red a couple of times. Can't get into it.
A glass is alright but not anymore. I keep trying others, but continue to come back to Gnarly Head pinot noir. Don't remember which white, I think chardonnay, but my wife likes Robert Mondavi.

For the boxed wine fans, I have a nice little list of solid juice made by quality names. Let me find it...

Funny story. I'm not a big wine guy (beer and vodka/JD)

On vacation wife and friends were drinking by the pool and this older guy came up to me with an open bottle of wine and said he and his wife just opened this bottle and it is a good wine and he'd hate to see it go to waste as they are done for the evening. He handed it to me and I proceeded to chug it from the bottle passed it to my wife and she did the same and this guy almost hit the floor in disappointment.

The 4 of us finished that bottle in 4 chugs.

Good times
You should have at least thanked him for letting it breathe for you.

Funny story. I'm not a big wine guy (beer and vodka/JD)

On vacation wife and friends were drinking by the pool and this older guy came up to me with an open bottle of wine and said he and his wife just opened this bottle and it is a good wine and he'd hate to see it go to waste as they are done for the evening. He handed it to me and I proceeded to chug it from the bottle passed it to my wife and she did the same and this guy almost hit the floor in disappointment.

The 4 of us finished that bottle in 4 chugs.

Good times
You should have at least thanked him for letting it breathe for you.
Screaming Eagle?

More than the price point for this thread, But since you brought it up... they have an Oakville Cab right now for $18 that is out of this world good for the price. I'd love to know whose wine that really is.
just picked up a bottle. Kirkland also has a $7 sparking, which is perfect for mimosas.

Also a fan of the Gascon Malbec, Ravenswood Zin, & Gnarly Head.

Current favorite is Layer Cake's Primitivo (Zin) but that can run $15.

just picked up a bottle. Kirkland also has a $7 sparking, which is perfect for mimosas.
Its decent and you can also pick up cavas for that price is you look around. Unspectacular, but reliable and fizzy. Great for mimosas

Users who are viewing this thread