What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Google Reader Being Retired (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
We have just announced on the Official Google Blog that we will soon retire Google Reader (the actual date is July 1, 2013). We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too.There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products. We think that kind of focus will make for a better user experience.To ensure a smooth transition, we’re providing a three-month sunset period so you have sufficient time to find an alternative feed-reading solution. If you want to retain your Reader data, including subscriptions, you can do so through Google Takeout.Thank you again for using Reader as your RSS platform.
Anyone got an RSS feed for Windows or similar product they really like? Haven't looked at these for several years after I set Google up.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: I was just coming here to post the same thing. I have never thought about using anything else since I signed up for google and am not very technical when it comes to readers.

ETA: an extension for chrome would be great.

When I did RSS (up until a year or so ago), I used the Brief plug-in for Firefox. It did the job for me.

I had to disable it because the small amount of time remaining that wasn't wasted reading FFA was getting spent following all the feeds. Now I can get some modicum of work done.

This makes no sense. This is not like retiring Buzz or Wave, which nobody used. It's more like retiring Google Maps, or Google Voice.

I wonder what this means for the Press app.

Probably buried under an avalanche of traffic. If anyone gets Feedly up and running please give us a heads up on it.Also, anyone else ever play with the reading statistics they keep? Was just looking at my feeds and was surprised to see that Talking Points Memo was my #1 most likely to be clicked. Apparently I read 37% of the articles that come through. Had no idea.

I wonder what this means for the Press app.
It looks like Press is committed to finding a solution, but they don't have any great ideas yet. The problem is that they're free-riding on Google Reader to keep track of which articles have already been read, etc. If Google isn't going to track that information anymore, hopefully somebody else will. It doesn't seem like a file containing all info about subscriptions and stuff should be very large. Maybe it can be stored in each user's DropBox account or something similar and Press (or other news-reader clients) can integrate and read/write to a file store in the cloud? Syncing across devices is a pretty big deal, so the info is going to have to be kept in a cloud somehow.

Google Currents is supposed to work as an RSS reader as well, but I can't figure out how to view RSS feeds that I've added to my library.

Google Currents is supposed to work as an RSS reader as well, but I can't figure out how to view RSS feeds that I've added to my library.
plus, in my experience, the sync is so delayed at times that it pretty much defeats the purpose. That and there is no web option for Currents that I am aware of. :hot:

ETA: My Google Reader Stats:

From your 81 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 556 items, clicked 138 items, starred 8 items, and emailed 0 items.Since September 30, 2008 you have read a total of 11,332 items.

This sucks, I use Reader every day. I've tried other readers and none of them are as quick and simple as Reader and I don't want to put a different app on every one of my devices.

I tried feedly on my iPad, it's ok but not as fast. I can fly through the news on reader. I wouldn't be surprised if they go so much blowback from this that they decide to keep it going. I always wouldnt't be surprised if they don't give a crap what we think. Google became Microsoft a long time ago.

What is everyone using so far? Newblur seems like the only thing I have found that is web and mobile based....but it is very slooooooooow.

Really pissed about this whole thing.

What is everyone using so far? Newblur seems like the only thing I have found that is web and mobile based....but it is very slooooooooow. Really pissed about this whole thing.
I am still using Reader and hoping that they change their mind. Feedly is one that I will check out when needed...

What is everyone using so far? Newblur seems like the only thing I have found that is web and mobile based....but it is very slooooooooow. Really pissed about this whole thing.
I am still using Reader and hoping that they change their mind. Feedly is one that I will check out when needed...
Seems like Feedly is getting alot of attention, but the don't have an option for IE that I see.

I'm using Feedly right now and it's just ok. So I am trying The Old Reader (site noted above) and trying to import my feeds from google reader and I have 25k people in front of me waiting in the que. Oof...Edit: 12 hours later and The Old Reader has still not imported my google reader file. :wall:

UPDATE: July 1st is still D-Day for google reader, so I finally decided to give feedly a shot last night. I am not sure how I feel about it at this point though, I suppose I may just need some time to get used to it.

Has anyone else found a great replacement yet?

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like feedly doesn't support Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, my work uses IE and I can't switch it. Maybe I'll check out netvibes instead.

####, I've stopped using any anything since right around the time of this announcement. Guess I'd better get to importing my #### somewhere else so I don't lose it. I've easily got 50+ different RSS feeds.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like feedly doesn't support Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, my work uses IE and I can't switch it. Maybe I'll check out netvibes instead.
I don't know of anything yet that works in IE and mobile..... :kicksrock:

I have been using NewsBlur for about a week now and like it a lot. I use Chrome and it works well there and they have an android app. I am just using the free version right now, but am considering paying for it.

On a side note, I refuse to pay for this service ;)

Feedly seems like it may work for me... it's just not as "simple" as Google Reader is. I am a big fan of simple.

On a side note, I refuse to pay for this service

Feedly seems like it may work for me... it's just not as "simple" as Google Reader is. I am a big fan of simple.
I'd gladly pay for a RSS aggregator that worked like Google Reader.

Still pissed at Google.

I'm new to RSS feeds and have given Feedly a try. I like it so far, but still trying to get the hang of it.

While we're at it. what are some of your favorite feeds? And any other tips/tricks that might be useful?

Users who are viewing this thread