What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Google STADIA just changed gaming forever (1 Viewer)

After hyping up its big “vision for the future of gaming” for weeks, Google took the stage at GDC 2019 on Tuesday to unveil a new cloud gaming platform called Stadia. As expected, Stadia isn’t a new console or a suite of hardware, but rather a service that will allow users to play games on virtually every device they own. At launch, Stadia will support desktops, laptops, TVs, tablets, and phones, and you can seamlessly jump between them all.

Set to release before the end of the year, Stadia will allow unprecedented access to games. During one stage demo, Google showed how you could be watching a trailer for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (for example), and click a button to begin streaming that game on your device just seconds later without any downloads or installs.

Google has partnered with AMD to build a custom GPU that will power instances from its datacenters. Said to deliver 10.7 teraflops of power, the GPU will significantly outclass the 4.7 teraflops of the PS4 Pro, and the 6 teraflops of the Xbox One X. The Stadia instances will also feature custom 2.7GHz x86 processors with 16GB of RAM.

As stated above, Stadia is not a console, but Google did introduce new hardware at the event. The Stadia controller is the latest addition to Google’s hardware line, and unlike a standard Bluetooth controller, it actually connects via Wi-Fi to the game you’re playing, which should significant cut down on lag and latency. It also has a capture button (for easy access to streaming, another key pillar of Stadia), and a Google Assistant button.

Unlike the Project Stream technical test from last year, Stadia is capable of streaming games in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. In the future, Google says Stadia will support 8K as well. And while you’re streaming a game to your device in 4K, you can simultaneously stream that footage to YouTube in 4K resolution.

Multiplayer is also a priority for Google, and cross-platform play across any other console or system that allows it will be supported. And there’s also a feature called Stream Connect which Google believe will revitalize couch co-op by letting users play split-screen games over the cloud as if they were in the same room. Another fascinating feature, State Share, will let users take a specific state in their game and share it like they would a link.

Unsurprisingly, creators (YouTube creators, specifically) are being catered to with a variety of features, such as Crowd Play, which lets viewers jump in a queue to play with their favorite YouTuber in an online game.

Google announced a wide selection of partners that have already committed to porting their games to Stadia, and one of those games is the upcoming Doom Eternal from id Software. Q-Games (the studio behind the PixelJunk series) is also working on a game for Stadia, but many other major triple-A titles showed up in stage demos as well, including Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Google is also launching its own first-party games studio called Stadia Games and Entertainment, which will be led by Jade Raymond, founder of Ubisoft Toronto and executive producer on the Assassin’s Creed series.

Stadia will launch in the US, Canada, UK, and most of Europe in 2019. More details to come this summer.

1,000 people at the same time!? Will the servers be able to handle all those racist and homophobic comments?
I'm just worried about all my mother's new sexual exploits.  She's been pretty tame since I stopped logging onto xbox Live, but I'm afraid a platform this large will really open my eyes to all the terrible things people seem to be doing with her.

I'm a gamer.  I like to play video games.  I like to play offline games and occasionally online games.  I don't like latency or lag.  I don't see how this can deliver games without substantial latency.  I also don't need GOOGLE knowing everything about my gaming habits.  I also don't want to rely on my WiFi (or wired Internet) for my gaming when I'm playing an offline game.  

All that being said, I see some advantages.  I travel a lot.  If I could pack a controller and then play my STADIA games from my hotel room that could be enticing.  Also could I play literally anywhere w/ Internet?  Airplane? Bar? etc, etc.  

Do we know yet if this will be a pay as you go service?  Like AAA games are $60 each.  Or a subscription service where I pay $30/month and I can access any game?  

Changed? No. It's too early to go to a full stream system. America's network infrastructure isn't up to snuff yet to take over the market. They might be able to pull out a niche market in the cities which would be your biggest share, but that's it for right now. Full streaming systems that could possibly eat a decent chunk of the console market is still 2 console gens away, at least.

Microsoft is rolling out the same thing. Except in their case, it’s the entire stable of MS and Xbox games. 

I'm a gamer.  I like to play video games.  I like to play offline games and occasionally online games.  I don't like latency or lag.  I don't see how this can deliver games without substantial latency.  I also don't need GOOGLE knowing everything about my gaming habits.  I also don't want to rely on my WiFi (or wired Internet) for my gaming when I'm playing an offline game.  

All that being said, I see some advantages.  I travel a lot.  If I could pack a controller and then play my STADIA games from my hotel room that could be enticing.  Also could I play literally anywhere w/ Internet?  Airplane? Bar? etc, etc.  

Do we know yet if this will be a pay as you go service?  Like AAA games are $60 each.  Or a subscription service where I pay $30/month and I can access any game?  
Are gaming habits really that personal of a thing?

Are gaming habits really that personal of a thing?
Depends on where you draw the line on privacy.  Also, I work from home a decent amount.  I get my work done on time.  (Fill in the blanks here.)

I don't need those details logged on the cloud.  

This has been tried a number of times.  I don't doubt that Google has the resources to make it work, but it's hard to imagine latency not being a problem in a mass scale/low bandwidth scenario.  

It's a brilliant business move if it can work.  Forks streamers/viewers away from Twitch and onto Youtube.  Forks players away from Microsoft/Sony consoles and onto theirs.

Changed? No. It's too early to go to a full stream system. America's network infrastructure isn't up to snuff yet to take over the market. They might be able to pull out a niche market in the cities which would be your biggest share, but that's it for right now. Full streaming systems that could possibly eat a decent chunk of the console market is still 2 console gens away, at least.
We all saw it heading in this direction.  I thought the current generation of consoles may be the last, but your correct the network infrastructure probably isn't there yet.  I thought there would be more of a hybrid system with TV's and possibly phones.

When it does become primarily cloud based I would expect Nintendo & Sony will need to partner up with Amazon or Google.  

This has been tried a number of times.  I don't doubt that Google has the resources to make it work, but it's hard to imagine latency not being a problem in a mass scale/low bandwidth scenario.  

It's a brilliant business move if it can work.  Forks streamers/viewers away from Twitch and onto Youtube.  Forks players away from Microsoft/Sony consoles and onto theirs.
Yeah, I could see it working maybe if they have gone all-in on this like Netflix did with their data centers. To make sure you connect to one nearby, they built a bajillion of them all over the place. And I suppose Google may have the resources, and who knows, maybe they have already done that. If they haven't though, I have a hard time believing they won't have lag issues. 

Yeah, I could see it working maybe if they have gone all-in on this like Netflix did with their data centers. To make sure you connect to one nearby, they built a bajillion of them all over the place. And I suppose Google may have the resources, and who knows, maybe they have already done that. If they haven't though, I have a hard time believing they won't have lag issues. 
Their test userbase was basically streamers and dedicated players, who are generally in more metropolitan areas with higher bandwidth. 

I don't doubt the server-side tech, but high-end functionality out of the box on a DSL connection to a trailer in the mountains?  

So am I understanding this right that no matter how weak the GPU is in your device you play on, you can still play any Stadia game at full resolution because the GPU stuff is being done in the cloud?

I live in a metro area, with decent Internet (40mb down, 10mb up) and I can't watch more than three hours of Netflix w/out getting at least one error.  Granted a few clicks and I'm watching again, but I don't want that to happen when I'm 2.5 hours into a 3 hour STADIA mission.  

its a horrible name, my god whoever came up with it should be tarred and feathered.

But......sounds amazing.   I'm sure since its a google product it will have all kinds of creepy built in spyware  in it as well

Just read an article where it said the streaming video of the announcement was choppy at times and stuttered.  That bodes well.  :rolleyes:

Here is the Microsoft Xcloud I mentioned earlier. Same as Googles offering where it runs on pretty much anything, but MS having games available is a huge plus for them.

Xcloud

Word is, that Xcloud would run in the Nintendo ecosystem, where at some point you can play most it not all Xbox titles on the Switch. Eve the most graphically demanding games.

ETA: Microsoft and Nintendo are getting extremely cozy these days. Just a hour ago, Nintendo announced Cuphead is being released on the Switch and now available for preorder.

Gamepass runs in the Switch and insider rumors point to GamePass in the near future would incorporate Xcloud for the high demand/intensive games like Halo, GOW, etc. subscribe to GamePass and play it all on any device.

Last edited by a moderator:
But will this sync with my google+ account?  Because that's where this thing is going to end up.

There are a zillion reasons this thing is not going to be some big revolution in gaming.  Chief among them is that google sucks at rolling this kind of stuff out.  They suck at getting their message out, they suck at focusing on a streamlined approach.  They can't pick a direction and stick to it.  They change their mind and re-design things.  Look at how they rolled out their digital content store (which went through like 10 names before finally becoming "play movies" etc like 5 years later), their messenger apps, google+, etc.  They really really suck at this.

Also as others have pointed out the bandwidth just isn't there yet.  And the target demographic just doesn't work for this.  The people that they need to get onboard to make this a thing are the very same people that care a lot about 10ms of extra lag, and there is probably going to be a whole lot more than 10ms of extra lag with this.

And fwiw, the name is just stupid.  And yes that matters to the people they need to sell it to.  Probably doesn't matter because they'll change it 10 times while they wander around directionless with this thing for the next 5 years before abandoning it, but the name they have currently is stupid.  Cloud gaming isn't new and the people that have tried it already had a much better built in userbase and gaming brand to start with than google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief among them is that google sucks at rolling this kind of stuff out.  They suck at getting their message out, they suck at focusing on a streamlined approach.  They can't pick a direction and stick to it.  They change their mind and re-design things.  Look at how they rolled out their digital content store (which went through like 10 names before finally becoming "play movies" etc like 5 years later), their messenger apps, google+, etc.  They really really suck at this.
I think you forgot Glass 💀

So am I understanding this right that no matter how weak the GPU is in your device you play on, you can still play any Stadia game at full resolution because the GPU stuff is being done in the cloud?
Sounds like it. Your PC monitor, phone, TV just displays the image that the data center processes.

its a horrible name, my god whoever came up with it should be tarred and feathered.

But......sounds amazing.   I'm sure since its a google product it will have all kinds of creepy built in spyware  in it as well
I mean that's a given. But then again, I just assume anyone can watch everything I do nowadays if they so chose to. 

Totally disagree, if broadband speeds weren't good enough then none of the streaming services would survive. I'd argue that majority of consumers don't game using 4k on a console. That's the first market to hit IMO.

You guys already know how this is gonna go with the bandwidth.  The guys with crappy internet will just get t-bagged by teenagers with good bandwidth.  It's been this way for hundreds of years and I don't see it ever changing.

This will happen and it’s these kind of products that led us to the death of net  neutrality. You’ll have to have 3 or four subscriptions if you want to play a mix of stuff.  It also means that you can get way into a game but if the player base isn’t there they can just flip the switch and the game is dead. Just like tv!

So, not crazy excited for this.  

Users who are viewing this thread