What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gore Hall of Fame or NOT? (1 Viewer)

Because he's scored more TDs and has been perceived as a dominant back?
I wasn't comparing him to Gore, just what I think of his own chances.

Led the league multiple times in rushing, won an MVP, is going to finish top 5 all-time in rushing yards, averaged 4.7 ypc. 

Gore is going to get in, so this whole discussion is probably wasted breath. But he probably shouldn't (at least IMO). He ranked in the Top 5 in rushing once and never ranked in the Top 5 in rushing TD. That same season he was Top 5 in rushing, he had his lone season in the Top 5 in YFS. In terms of having many peak or dominating seasons, Gore doesn't have much to offer. He mostly has had a 15 year career being above average. And since leaving SF, he hasn't even been that (3.9 ypc. vs league average of 4.2 in that time).

At any point in his career, would any coach or GM of a team ever have thought that the one back in the league they wanted was Frank Gore? Would he have been one of their Top 5 picks? Top 10? As an example, would defenses rather have faced Barry Sanders or Frank Gore? I think that one is a pretty simple answer.

Put another way, can the history of the league be told without telling the Frank Gore story? I would say yes it could. He'll get in on a meritorious service basis for playing at a decent level for a long time. And someday I will tell me grand kids that Gore wasn't a terrible back for many years, and that's what got him into the HOF.

I wasn't comparing him to Gore, just what I think of his own chances.

Led the league multiple times in rushing, won an MVP, is going to finish top 5 all-time in rushing yards, averaged 4.7 ypc. 
Don't forget a 2000 yd season...….AP should be in for sure.

Peterson is a lock.

There are multiple other RBs I think are more deserving than Gore, including James and Alexander. Probably Watters, too. That's just off the top of my head, wouldn't be surprised if there is someone else. But I don't think any of the others are going to make it, and I don't think Gore should, either.

Gore is going to get in, so this whole discussion is probably wasted breath. But he probably shouldn't (at least IMO). He ranked in the Top 5 in rushing once and never ranked in the Top 5 in rushing TD. That same season he was Top 5 in rushing, he had his lone season in the Top 5 in YFS. In terms of having many peak or dominating seasons, Gore doesn't have much to offer. He mostly has had a 15 year career being above average. And since leaving SF, he hasn't even been that (3.9 ypc. vs league average of 4.2 in that time).

At any point in his career, would any coach or GM of a team ever have thought that the one back in the league they wanted was Frank Gore? Would he have been one of their Top 5 picks? Top 10? As an example, would defenses rather have faced Barry Sanders or Frank Gore? I think that one is a pretty simple answer.

Put another way, can the history of the league be told without telling the Frank Gore story? I would say yes it could. He'll get in on a meritorious service basis for playing at a decent level for a long time. And someday I will tell me grand kids that Gore wasn't a terrible back for many years, and that's what got him into the HOF.
During his first 5 years, he was great. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/961353-san-francisco-49ers-rb-frank-gore-on-video-top-5-career-rushing-touchdowns#slide7

Peterson is a lock.

There are multiple other RBs I think are more deserving than Gore, including James and Alexander. Probably Watters, too. That's just off the top of my head, wouldn't be surprised if there is someone else. But I don't think any of the others are going to make it, and I don't think Gore should, either.
You should adjust for other players on the team, which is not easy, the formulas don't do justice. James had a HOF QB handing off to him, and a HOF wr. Look at Gore's first 5 years, the long runs, the hard runs. If longevity counts at any position, it should be RB. Look at Smith's last years in Arizona without good players around him.

I see pass blocking and being one of the all-time locker room leaders is being lost by some.  Gore's production, longevity, and professionalism all contribute to him being a Hall of Fame player one day.  He doesn't have to be the best at any one thing or the best in any single season to wear a gold jacket one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, Gore was excellent his first 5 years. He ranked 5th in rushing yards, 3rd in YFS, and 14th in both rushing TD and total TD for RB's in 2005-2009. Is that HOF worthy?

By comparison . . . for all RB's in their first 5 seasons since 1960. Gore ranks:

23rd in rushing yards
T-72nd in rushing TD
28th in YFS
61st in combined running and receiving TD

Again, he was very good early on and good down the stretch in SF. But he hasn't been HOF worthy since . . . which is all the compiled numbers that have gotten him higher on all time career totals lists.

Sure, Gore was excellent his first 5 years. He ranked 5th in rushing yards, 3rd in YFS, and 14th in both rushing TD and total TD for RB's in 2005-2009. Is that HOF worthy?

By comparison . . . for all RB's in their first 5 seasons since 1960. Gore ranks:

23rd in rushing yards
T-72nd in rushing TD
28th in YFS
61st in combined running and receiving TD

Again, he was very good early on and good down the stretch in SF. But he hasn't been HOF worthy since . . . which is all the compiled numbers that have gotten him higher on all time career totals lists.
Did you see Emmit Smith's last 4 to 5,000 yards. 

Sure, and you could say the same about Curtis Martin and Bettis. I'm not a "well, the bar has been lowered, so let him in" guy. But I think Gore's story is better than either of those guys'.

Did you see Emmit Smith's last 4 to 5,000 yards. 
His last 4 seasons were not noteworthy, but his season before that he had over 1200 rushing yards and 9 TD. IIRC, Gore only had 1 season with more rushing yards or more rushing TD than that (and neither in the same season).

Not really sure what your are trying to point out here. That Gore had a better last few years than Emmitt? That Gore's career was comparable to Smith's?

Sure, and you could say the same about Curtis Martin and Bettis. I'm not a "well, the bar has been lowered, so let him in" guy. But I think Gore's story is better than either of those guys'.
I was never a fan of Martin or Bettis getting in either. I am not saying Gore won't get in or that players should get inducted based on them being better than the worst HOFer that made it previously. Gore has had a good career and lasted much longer than most other RB's. I just don't think he was in the top pantheon of RB's.

I was never a fan of Martin or Bettis getting in either. I am not saying Gore won't get in or that players should get inducted based on them being better than the worst HOFer that made it previously. Gore has had a good career and lasted much longer than most other RB's. I just don't think he was in the top pantheon of RB's.
Neither do I. I'd put Watters, Edge, and Shaun Alexander in before the other three. 

I just think that Gore's "compiler" resume is more interesting than Martin's or Bettis'

He will be voted in because he is well respected and well liked by most NFL teams, media, he does things that aren't always measured in a stat sheet. 

His last few seasons he has been one of the bottom 5-10 in terms of starting RBs in the league based on speed and big play ability but he does everything else vey well and helps to move the chains. 

No doubt in my mind he will be voted in, perhaps not 1st ballot but he will get in by the 3rd or 4th try if he has to wait at all. 

His last 4 seasons were not noteworthy, but his season before that he had over 1200 rushing yards and 9 TD. IIRC, Gore only had 1 season with more rushing yards or more rushing TD than that (and neither in the same season).

Not really sure what your are trying to point out here. That Gore had a better last few years than Emmitt? That Gore's career was comparable to Smith's?
Adjusting for team is important. Smith had a HOF QB, WR and great oline, including hofer Larry Allen in his prime. Gore had 1 year of a washed up Larry Allen and Kapernick, Alex Smith and Shaun Hill at qb. Smith and James are over-rated and Gore is underrated. 

Adjusting for team is important. Smith had a HOF QB, WR and great oline, including hofer Larry Allen in his prime. Gore had 1 year of a washed up Larry Allen and Kapernick, Alex Smith and Shaun Hill at qb. Smith and James are over-rated and Gore is underrated. 
I'm not really looking to make a big deal out of any of this, but who did Adrian Peterson have to help him on offense? Barry Sanders? Walter Payton? Most seasons, those guys WERE the offense.

I think it's clear that adding on years to your career should not hurt someone's bid for the HOF. They shouldn't be punished for hanging around, no matter how bad those extra years are. What's not as clear to me, and where I think there is decent disagreement, is how much add-on years should help someone's HOF bid. In Gore's case, he'll probably end up adding 2500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in seasons 13, 14, and 15. I don't know what to do with that. Ignore it or consider it as part of his resume? Without these last three seasons, he's 10th all time in rushing and 12th all time in yards from scrimmage. Both of those rankings are in the vicinity of where you start to see a drop off among HOFers and non-HOFers.

Gore seems comparable to some HOFers who then outshine him in terms of awards or playoff success. He also seems comparable to some non-HOFers who most people don't give a second thought to in regards to the HOF. In my mind, Gore is just missing something. I don't think he should be immediately dismissed as I think his resume is a little better than most people think. But, after analyzing what he's accomplished, I just can't find that one thing to put him over the top for me.

Peterson should be a lock. Gore should be a lock.

Matt Stafford should be.....locked out, with the key thrown away just in case there's a chance he might try to sneak in.

I think it is a tough choice.  It's the anti-Gale Sayers.  His career was cut short due to injury but everyone understood his talent.  He is the opposite end of the spectrum.  Longevity is a talent but how much does that talent weigh into the total package.  I think of Gore a lot like Curtis Martin.  Compilers.  Above average RB's that played a very tough/injury prone position and were able to play at above average levels for a significant number of years.  I was not sure if Martin should be in and Gore is the same.  I probably lean no but believe Gore will be in one day. 

HOF for sure for IMO. Love watching him play, he embodies what a football player should be on and off the field. 9 1k+ seasons, great longevity, one of the fiercer competitors out there. The Curtis Martin comparison is apt, though I don't see that as a negative, loved CMart too. 

Rushing attempts, yards gained and yards per game (career)

1. E. Smith 18,335 - 4,409 attempts - 4.16 ypc and ranks 15th at 81.2 yards per game
  2. Payton 16,726 - 3,838 attempts - 4.36 ypc and ranks 6th at 88.0 yards per game
  3. Gore 15,289 - 3,519 attempts - 4.34 ypc and ranks 44th at 69.2 yards per game
  4. Sanders 15,269 - 3,062 attempts - 4.99 ypc and ranks 2nd at 99.8 yards per game
  5. C. Martin 14,101 - 3,518 attempts - 4.01 ypc and ranks 10th at 83.9 yards per game
  6. Peterson 13,861 - 2,959 attempts - 4.68 ypc and ranks 8th at 87.2 yards per game
  7. Tomlinson 13,684 - 3,174 attempts - 4.31 ypc and ranks 18th at 80.5 yards per game
  8. Bettis 13,662 - 3,479 attempts - 3.93 ypc and ranks 36th at 71.2 yards per game
  9. Dickerson 13,259 - 2,996 attempts - 4.42 ypc and ranks 5th at 90.8 yards per game
  10. Dorsett 12,739 - 2,936 attempts - 4.33 ypc and ranks 29th at 73.6 yards per game
  11. Jim Brown 12,312 - 2,359 attempts - 5.22 ypc and ranks 1st at 104.3 yards per game

I think it is a tough choice.  It's the anti-Gale Sayers.  His career was cut short due to injury but everyone understood his talent.  He is the opposite end of the spectrum.  Longevity is a talent but how much does that talent weigh into the total package.  I think of Gore a lot like Curtis Martin.  Compilers.  Above average RB's that played a very tough/injury prone position and were able to play at above average levels for a significant number of years.  I was not sure if Martin should be in and Gore is the same.  I probably lean no but believe Gore will be in one day. 
Yes, good post and points.

I also see this in the baseball forum where they make the case for a consistently solid player with a long career.  I love his style of back but much like Martin he is on the border line.

I’m normally pro- HoF when it’s close but I’m a no on Gore. Quantity and quality is an important balance for sure but I think he’s too much quantity and not enough quality. And I was a massive Gore supporter coming into the league. 

Yds from scrimmage which includes RBs and WRs...

1. Jerry Rice 23,540

2. Emmitt Smith 21,579

3. Walter Payton 21,262

4. Frank Gore 19,155

You have to go 15-Deep on this list to find someone that isn't in the HoF or well on their way...Fitzgerald for example is #10 and I think we all agree he is going in 1st ballot. 

He's getting voted in whether you believe he is a HoF player or not, that's your opinion and you are certainly welcome to it but it is hard to imagine him not getting in, even his last 5-6 years he has been close to a 1,000 yd rusher almost every year. And he never makes noise off the field and leadership skills are going to help him immensely with the committee. 

Put another way, can the history of the league be told without telling the Frank Gore story? I would say yes it could. 
Sure, but that's the same story that can be told for numerous players inducted into the NFL HOF.

If you want to use tiers, then granted Gore is a lower-tier HOFer. I think he deserves to get in, IMO.

Isn’t this the same discussion as for Bettis? Gore had a few great years, a ton of very solid years. A nice guy. His numbers are north of Bettis’ but he has no rings. He’s in.

Sure, but that's the same story that can be told for numerous players inducted into the NFL HOF.

If you want to use tiers, then granted Gore is a lower-tier HOFer. I think he deserves to get in, IMO.
I already said he will get in. But in MY Hall of Fame, guys like Gore probably wouldn’t make it. I think there are too many guys that get in or have gotten in. Gore would probably be a third tier HOFer and in my imaginary HOF, I might limit it to two tiers. Gore getting in won’t cause me indigestion like Eli will.

Yes, there have been coaches and GMs that felt the one back they wanted in the league was Frank Gore.  Did they think he was a top 10 back at the time? No, but he is who they wanted. The 49ers drafted him, but the Colts, Dolphins, and Buffalo (Philly wanted him too, but he chose the Colts) all wanted Frank Gore, because he is a great player. He is consistent, a leader, a professional, and a teacher. They had youngsters at the RB position, and who better to groom and teach those players than Frank Gore. Frank can block (one of the best at it), run, and catch. He has a great understanding of the game, and how to play his position. His work ethic is outstanding. He also has great sportsmanship, which is why he won the Art Rooney Award in 2016. 

The Frank Gore story is a good one. His dad wasn't in the picture when he was growing up. His mom raised him and his siblings as a single mother. She was also on dialysis, so Frank had to be the man of the family. He had to help her out, and grow up fast.  Football helped relieve his stress and became his passion. He dreamed of playing college football, but he had a learning disability. He worked his butt off in high school with tutors and studying to pass the SAT to get in. He did it.  He got to play college football, and then his dream was to play in the NFL. He tore both ACLs playing college football, but that did not derail his dream, and his great work ethic rose him above that bump in his journey. His college OC has said that Frank studied the playbook all the time, and had such a high football intellect that Frank sometimes had to correct the QB. His great work ethic has continued throughout his football career.

His training, which includes boxing, is legendary in the NFL. His favorite people to workout with are players that are younger than him.  He says that makes them all better. Some of the young ones, and even his current GM, say he still has elite feet. His durability is phenomenal. He has only missed two games to injury since 2011. Most RBs have a short shelf life.  He is now 3rd in NFL history with rushing yards. It doesn't matter that he reached that mark due to longevity. His longevity is absolutely amazing. His position is punishing, yet he is still grinding out the yards at 36.  

He has been an all-around great NFL player. It's too bad you say that someday you will tell your grand kids that he got into the HOF because "he wasn't a terrible back for many years."  His NFL career deserves more respect than that.

Neither do I. I'd put Watters, Edge, and Shaun Alexander in before the other three. 

I just think that Gore's "compiler" resume is more interesting than Martin's or Bettis'
Considering he tore his ACL twice in college he did pretty good.  He’s a lock for the HOF.

I see pass blocking and being one of the all-time locker room leaders is being lost by some.  Gore's production, longevity, and professionalism all contribute to him being a Hall of Fame player one day.  He doesn't have to be the best at any one thing or the best in any single season to wear a gold jacket one day.
I have never anything, good or bad, about Gore's leadership qualities.  Besides, in HoF discussions, I don't think leadership should count for anything if your teams never won a Super Bowl. 

Isn’t this the same discussion as for Bettis? Gore had a few great years, a ton of very solid years. A nice guy. His numbers are north of Bettis’ but he has no rings. He’s in.
I posted this on page 2 of this thread almost 3 years ago:

Bettis had a stronger resume, and it isn't close:

Bettis

1993 NFL AP Offensive Rookie of the Year
1996 NFL AP Comeback Player of the Year
2001 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year
2 1st team All Pro selections, 1 second team All Pro selection
6 Pro Bowl selections
#6 all time rushing yards - now #8
#11 all time rushing TDs
1 championship

Gore

0 major awards
1 second team All Pro selection
5 Pro Bowl selections
#8 all time rushing yards - now #3
#24 all time rushing TDs - now #21
0 championships

Plus, Bettis played his entire career for a historically popular franchise on the East Coast, and he was very popular with the media. That stuff also helps.

And with all that, Bettis was arguably a borderline case.
Updates in red. I don't think those updates have changed anything. Bettis was much more deserving IMO, and yet he was a borderline case. That should put Gore on the outside looking in IMO.

Updates in red. I don't think those updates have changed anything. Bettis was much more deserving IMO, and yet he was a borderline case. That should put Gore on the outside looking in IMO.
:confused:   Seriously? Based on those metrics?

Gore also had 2500 more yards receiving, 15 more receiving TDs and a 4.3 ypc vs Bettis' 3.9 ypc

Not sure how people think he should be denied the Hall of Fame. He absolutely deserves it.

The story of an NFL player can take many paths. Some shine for a few years before fading away or getting hurt. Some have milestone years and little consistency otherwise. Others have generational talent that was cut short by injury. 

Frank Gore is a guy who has spent 14 years (and counting) at a position where the average career lasts less than three years. An elite player might get eight or nine. The truly rare talents hit 10 or 11. Gore might hit 15 before he retires. 

And those are contributing years, not joking around in practice and walking around the sidelines with his helmet off. After his rookie season, he's never started fewer than 11 games. 

This is the kind of player whose story should be told in Canton, alongside other players who had better seasons, or more talent, or more records. Few will argue he's one of the most electrifying names in sports. But Hall of Fame? Of course he deserves that recognition imo. 

There are some of Gore's accomplishments left out on your list. Maybe they weren't reached yet when you did it. I notice you put 1 Championship for Bettis, and 0 for Gore. They both played in Super Bowl games. Bettis had 43 yards rushing in his. Gore had 110 yards rushing and a touchdown in his. As far as their longest run on a given team, the Steelers were a much better team during Bettis' run than the 49ers were during Gore's run.

Absolutely not.  I don't know. Maybe. Yeah... definitely maybe. He has been exceptionally adequate for a very long time.

Because what he is doing at 36 is unheard of in the NFL
No idea why that is hall of fame worthy.  Is he playing great?  Playing "great for 36" is very irrelevant to me.

If some dude plays till age 60 and ends up #1 rushing all time while never having 1000 yards is he a hall of famer?

“Never confuse greatness with longevity.”

- Terrell Davis

the knife cuts both ways. Not sure why TD got in as he didn’t do it long enough. Not sure why Frank should get in because he didn’t do it great enough. But he will. 

Frank Gore's talent as a runner is very underrated and his vision is elite. Prior to his ACL tears his skills were legendary at the U. Everybody talks about how he got his #s because of longevity... how about the fact that for the majority of his career he played w/ some pretty mediocre supporting casts and bad teams and faced 8 man fronts all the time?  Would it surprise you to know that his career YPC is better than more "explosive" backs like Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, Ricky Watters despite those guys playing on some historically great offenses? How many pro bowl QBs or WRs has Gore played with? The answer is TY Hilton, annnnd that's it..

Just because he didn't make for great highlight reels doesn't mean he wasn't great.

I totally get the camp that Gore is simply the Hall of Very Good.

That said, the kinds of stats he is racking up, his longevity and relevance in a career that's still going strong -- I say just put him in. 

He deserves it.

Users who are viewing this thread