What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gore to unseat Barlow at RB/Dorsey to start? (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
Here are some quick observations after viewing last weekend's 49ers minicamp:

- Frank Gore will unseat Kevan Barlow as the starting halfback. Gore looked lean and explosive during the practice sessions. His college career was slowed by two knee surgeries, but he has made a remarkable recovery. Barlow will need his "A" game this summer to keep his starting job.

- Coach Mike Nolan wants to establish a punishing running game. He drafted two physical run-blocking linemen in David Baas and Adam Snyder, a 280-pound blocking tight end in Patrick Estes and signed 270-pound fullback Tony Ficklin of San Jose State after the draft. Center Jeremy Newberry said, "We're going to have a different mentality, pounding the football."

- The 49ers will be one of the most improved teams in the NFL simply because Nolan and his assistants are a real NFL-caliber staff. The Dennis Erickson/Terry Donahue regime was a joke, and this year will prove that fact.

- Ken Dorsey will win the starting quarterback job. Alex Smith is the future of this franchise, but Dorsey is primed and ready for a breakout performance in his third season.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/05...13_sp03_rap.txt

Edited to add link

Last edited by a moderator:
A 4.67 40 is explosive huh? Alex Smith will be the starting qb. I'm not buying any preseason Gore hype.

- Ken Dorsey will win the starting quarterback job. Alex Smith is the future of this franchise, but Dorsey is primed and ready for a breakout performance in his third season.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/05...13_sp03_rap.txt

Edited to add link
Thanks for the update. I always enjoy training-camp updates from people who actually watch training cap in action.I know Rattay is banged-up and Smith is a rookie with no NFL experience, but Dorsey!?!? The guy could not even hit WR's in the flats last year. It's painfully obvious he doesn't have an NFL arm.

I can buy into Larry's first few assertions but the last one about Dorsey has me :popcorn: Dorsey was a winner in college, so was Danny Woeful. I've seen enough of him to say that if he ever does become a solid starter or "breaks out" in the NFL then I'll be completely amazed and wonder if he's been hanging out with the Balco boys.

You don't start the rookie.........period. The 49ers aren't winning ANYTHING this year, but I like that they're trying and change the mentality of the players. They're going to play tough hard nosed football. When Smith is ready to jump in at some point during this season, he will. Starting Smith with the current offense would be a mistake IMO.

"Pounding the ball" with a guy that's 5'9" and 208lbs with bad knees is going to be a daunting task. The only thing that is going to be pounded this year in San Fran is their franchise.

Here are some quick observations after viewing last weekend's 49ers minicamp:

- Frank Gore will unseat Kevan Barlow as the starting halfback. Gore looked lean and explosive during the practice sessions. His college career was slowed by two knee surgeries, but he has made a remarkable recovery. Barlow will need his "A" game this summer to keep his starting job.

I want to go on record right here and say that IMO neither of these things will happen.

You forgot the part about Gore blowing out both knees simultaneously in the 2nd preseason game.

This thread is comical at best. Gore is not the RB to "pound the ball" with. Barlow has the size and speed to be Jamal Lewis-West. The Gore love on this board is becoming sickening.

This thread is comical at best. Gore is not the RB to "pound the ball" with. Barlow has the size and speed to be Jamal Lewis-West. The Gore love on this board is becoming sickening.
You might be right about Gore, but I'll have to butt in and say please, please don't compare Barlow with Jamal Lewis beause that is just as comical.

This thread is comical at best.  Gore is not the RB to "pound the ball" with.  Barlow has the size and speed to be Jamal Lewis-West.  The Gore love on this board is becoming sickening.
You might be right about Gore, but I'll have to butt in and say please, please don't compare Barlow with Jamal Lewis beause that is just as comical.
You're right, let's compare a 5'9" 208 lb. peg-legged RB named Gore to him instead. :loco: You'll see soon enough that Gore is James Jackson II on the NFL level.

This thread is comical at best.  Gore is not the RB to "pound the ball" with.  Barlow has the size and speed to be Jamal Lewis-West.  The Gore love on this board is becoming sickening.
You're right, let's compare a 5'9" 208 lb. peg-legged RB named Gore to him instead. :loco: You'll see soon enough that Gore is James Jackson II on the NFL level.
:lmao: I haven't said anything about comparing Gore to anyone, I really don't know much about him. You guys seem to be the experts on him, I appreciate you guys calling out this fraud if he indeed is a fraud. I do however, know a lot about Jamal Lewis and Kevan Barlow and I know that comparing Kevan Barlow to Lewis is :X :yucky: :eek: :excited: :bag: :thumbdown: :shock:

- The 49ers will be one of the most improved teams in the NFL simply because Nolan and his assistants are a real NFL-caliber staff. The Dennis Erickson/Terry Donahue regime was a joke, and this year will prove that fact.
NO where to go but up :lmao:

:lmao: I haven't said anything about comparing Gore to anyone, I really don't know much about him. You guys seem to be the experts on him, I appreciate you guys calling out this fraud if he indeed is a fraud. I do however, know a lot about Jamal Lewis and Kevan Barlow and I know that comparing Kevan Barlow to Lewis is :X :yucky: :eek: :excited: :bag: :thumbdown: :shock:
I'll 2nd that. Barlow owners were the victim of the 2004 hype machine. Also, Barlow has BELOW average speed for a tailback in the NFL.

I'll 2nd that. Barlow owners were the victim of the 2004 hype machine. Also, Barlow has BELOW average speed for a tailback in the NFL.

Exactly, I didn't see Barlow turn the corner too many times last season.

"Pounding the ball" with a guy that's 5'9" and 208lbs with bad knees is going to be a daunting task. The only thing that is going to be pounded this year in San Fran is their franchise.
Thank you.....as a Barlow owner I obviously have trouble being entirely objective here, but with two repairedknees and weighing less than I weigh, there's no way Gore is going to 'pound' anything. I see more of a RB by committee unfortunatley (for me an other Barlow owners) but I certainly don't see Barlow being 'unseated'

Ill be the first to say "thank you" to AZCARDS for this report.  Even if I dont agree with it.
:goodposting: Seriuosly, a guy offers his insight to what is going on at the SF camp and the mass of Gore "haters" have to come out. :thumbdown:

Thanks azcards for your effort and information.

Gore might be an interesting prospect, but all this hype, it reminds me of.....Ron Dayne last year. How did that turn out? Some fool in my dynasty league drafted him late in the first round, and Lee Evans fell in my lap. THANK YOU. :excited:

I'm not which is sillier here, the Gore love or the Gore hatred. It would be a surprise to me if Gore won the job, but not nearly as much of a surprise than Gore haters/Barlow lovers think.Barlow was a disappointment to the previous coaching regime. The current regime drafted Gore relatively highly, another bad sign for Barlow. Barlow has not ever set the NFL world on fire, but he showed more than Gore has recently.Gore has never proven anything. Extremely limited time in college prior to injuries seemed to show great explosiveness and determination. But he showed little of that last year. Two banged up knees is cause for serious concern, but he is on a timeframe fairly consistent these days with athletes returning to pre-injuri form for that injury.Strong opinions to one side or the other reek of bias or naivete.Despite the opinion from the SF Examiner, I think it's Barlow's job to lose, but Gore has a legitimate chance to displace him. My money is on Barlow in 2005 though.

Ill be the first to say "thank you" to AZCARDS for this report.  Even if I dont agree with it.
:goodposting: Seriuosly, a guy offers his insight to what he saw at the SF camp and the mass of Gore "haters" have to come out. :thumbdown:

He didn't view anything...Larry Krueger did. Look at the link in his original post.BTW, Krueger is an idiot and I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he "observes." He has a local radio show here in the Bay Area, writes a couple columns a week for the Examiner, and generally doesn't know much.

:goodposting: Seriuosly, a guy offers his insight to what is going on at the SF camp and the mass of Gore "haters" have to come out. :thumbdown:

It isn't what he(azcards) saw, it is what a SF reporter is reporting.

Gore might be an interesting prospect, but all this hype, it reminds me of.....Ron Dayne last year. How did that turn out? Some fool in my dynasty league drafted him late in the first round, and Lee Evans fell in my lap. THANK YOU. :excited:
No it reminds me of McGahee.... how did that one turn out?

I'm not which is sillier here, the Gore love or the Gore hatred. It would be a surprise to me if Gore won the job, but not nearly as much of a surprise than Gore haters/Barlow lovers think.

Barlow was a disappointment to the previous coaching regime. The current regime drafted Gore relatively highly, another bad sign for Barlow. Barlow has not ever set the NFL world on fire, but he showed more than Gore has recently.

Gore has never proven anything. Extremely limited time in college prior to injuries seemed to show great explosiveness and determination. But he showed little of that last year. Two banged up knees is cause for serious concern, but he is on a timeframe fairly consistent these days with athletes returning to pre-injuri form for that injury.

Strong opinions to one side or the other reek of bias or naivete.

Despite the opinion from the SF Examiner, I think it's Barlow's job to lose, but Gore has a legitimate chance to displace him. My money is on Barlow in 2005 though.
:goodposting: My views on Gore are well documented elsewhere, as are my views on minicamp "observations" and conjecture.

It isn't what he(azcards) saw, it is what a SF reporter is reporting.
Yeah I noticed that later and made the edit. Either way its the rumblings that are going on and information. You can take it or leave it.

Gore might be an interesting prospect, but all this hype, it reminds me of.....Ron Dayne last year. How did that turn out? Some fool in my dynasty league drafted him late in the first round, and Lee Evans fell in my lap. THANK YOU.  :excited:
I think McGahee had a lot more talent coming out of college than Gore though don't you?

Gore might be an interesting prospect, but all this hype, it reminds me of.....Ron Dayne last year. How did that turn out? Some fool in my dynasty league drafted him late in the first round, and Lee Evans fell in my lap. THANK YOU.  :excited:
Not to get into the same discussion from previous threads, but McGahee was one of the country's most dominant runners before getting hurt, Gore was one of the country's most dominant HIGH SCHOOL runners but never lived up to his talents on the collegiate playing field. HUGE DIFFERENCE in risk here. With McGahee...all the Bills were risking (and it was a risk) was McGahee's health. They knew that if he could get healthy, we would be a stud. With Gore, you have to hope he'll get healthy and THEN you have to hope he's able to live up to the expectations put upon him six years ago when he was a vaunted high school recruit.People seem to think that Miami is incapable of putting out pedestrian running backs.

I think McGahee had a lot more talent coming out of college than Gore though don't you?
Personally, yes. McGahee in my eyes was the best RB talent in YEARS, even better than LT. That’s not the point though. We never got to see Gore at his full potential where we did with McGahee. Nobody outside the UM can really make an accurate analysis of these 2 guys as far as talent is concerned IMO. You can specualte all you want as to weather or not you think he will gain his talent and ability back. However, very few people have seen him at full speed which we may get to see for the 1st time this year.

People seem to think that Miami is incapable of putting out pedestrian running backs.
No, people seem to find it hard to believe that Gore was good enough to keep such great RBs like Portis and McGahee off the field because they never saw him at full speed. There is a HUGE difference here. Just becasue you haven't seen it doesn't make it untrue.

Everyone looks good in mini-camp playing against air. I have no doubt the niners will improve this year,only because they were so horrible last year. Let's at least wait until training camp before we make Gore and the other rookies the "saviors" of the franchise.

Walsh has praised Dorsey for his poise and a few other intangibles. If I'm Nolan, I'm appeasing him NOW rather than later. I'm not sure if you have to in the niner organization or not but ....I'd guess it's a good move.IIRC Nolan's father was a niner coach before Walsh so he's got a good idea about what's going on.Also, suppose you guys are right and Dorsey isn't ever gonna be much of an NFL QB? Well Rattay has little experience and Smith has none. Nolan's gotta find out enough now about Dorsey so he can hit the waiver wire after June 1st for a veteran if he needs it.I don't think there's a rookie RB NOT working with the first team in May. Every coach wants to see what they've got. IMO Hearst didn't push Barlow, his ego was too large. Maybe a rook can, I'd love to see that.

People seem to think that Miami is incapable of putting out pedestrian running backs.
No, people seem to find it hard to believe that Gore was good enough to keep such great RBs like Portis and McGahee off the field because they never saw him at full speed. There is a HUGE difference here. Just becasue you haven't seen it doesn't make it untrue.
Hey Jurb...that's fine to say but again, you can't convince me that ANY runner with Gore's career injury history and on-field achievements would get this much attention if he didn't a) play for the U and b) come after James, Portis and McGahee have had tremendous NFL success.

ll I know is with all these Gore threads, there are going to be alot of bumps throughout the season, probably from both sides.

Hey Jurb...that's fine to say but again, you can't convince me that ANY runner with Gore's career injury history and on-field achievements would get this much attention if he didn't a) play for the U and b) come after James, Portis and McGahee have had tremendous NFL success.
Of course not, but when did I say otherwise. Do you think that all the talking heads in Mia are lying too us about his ability or something? This is the RB they prefered to have running the ball OVER Porits and McGahee! Do I have to agree with that, no. It certainly speaks very highly of this kids potential though. Even if Mia was wrong about it.... its not like he could be much worse than the other 2 guys and the other 2 have proved to be 2 of the BEST RBs in the NFL. If you want to question his recovery to regain his ability, that is fine. I don't however see how anyone here on this board is more qualified to speak about his raw talent than the people who saw it 1st hand and evalutated it at Mia. So if your asking who has more credit IMO on this topic.... I'll take the Mia coaches over message board members in a heartbeat.

Again, Frank Gore... :lmao:

You guys are killing me with this!
I've already gone on record that I think Barlow wins the job, but to laugh at Gore and his chances does not speak well for a knowledge and understanding of the situation.

I'll take the Mia coaches over message board members in a heartbeat.
And we all know college coaches NEVER pimp their players. :lmao: With a name like Frank Gore....shouldn't this guy be an accountant somewhere or selling life insurance? Wait, I forget anything more difficult than Intro to Sociology is over his head.

McGahee had 1 bad wheel, and has a larger more NFL RB friendly body. You're comparing apples and oranges.

McGahee had 1 bad wheel, and has a larger more NFL RB friendly body. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Yeah because both having to recover from almost the same knee injuries is nothing alike at all.... as a matter of fact, yeah McGahee's was worse. So I guess your right. Its funny how you forgot to mention the knee injury that Willis had in high school too.

Again, Frank Gore...  :lmao:

I've already gone on record that I think Barlow wins the job, but to laugh at Gore and his chances does not speak well for a knowledge and understanding of the situation.
I'm not laughing at Gore, I'm laughing at the guys who think this guy is the next great thing. Like I said in an earlier thread, I wouldn't touch Gore with a 10 foot pole. Let the guppy in your league draft him and hold him for 3 years waiting, wishing, hoping. I'll spend my last RB roster spot on someone with more upside.Now if Gore is sitting there in the 4th round of my dynasty league, and I have one more RB spot to fill, and all my handcuffs are gone, maybe I'll take a flyer. But I'm seeing drafts with him going in the first round, ahead of guys like Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White, which I find utterly absurd!

And I have great knowledge of Frank Gore, BTW. I watched Miami games when he was the starter and yes, he was impressive. Then I watched him tear his knee up. Then I watched him rehab it, only to tear it up again. What Gore has done to get to the NFL is admirable, but he will never be the same guy who played at Miami before his surgeries. Don't point to McGahee or Lewis... ain't the same.

When I saw the game in which Gore tore his knee up again, I instantly turned to my bud sitting next to me (another fantasy shark, in the biz for 12+ years) and said "Bye bye Frank Gore!"

Robert Edwards made it back to the NFL too. But nobody was drafting him in the first round of dynasty drafts. He was a feel-good story, late round flyer, which is what Gore is, nothing more. Anyone who drafts Gore in the 1st round of their dynasty drafts I feel sorry for.

He didn't view anything...Larry Krueger did. Look at the link in his original post.

BTW, Krueger is an idiot and I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he "observes." He has a local radio show here in the Bay Area, writes a couple columns a week for the Examiner, and generally doesn't know much.
:goodposting: Krueger :bag:

Tim Rattay will start the season. When he inevitably gets hurt, Dorsey will get another chance to showcase his peashooter and remind 49er faithful of the Steve Stenstrom era.

Alex Smith will start when he is ready.

I see Barlow getting the majority of the carries early in the year and then Gore sharing the load as the year goes on. Not exactly the quality or production of the Hearst/Barlow tandem, but I do see Nolan running more than throwing this year and both back by years end being decent bye week options.

:)

Again, Frank Gore...  :lmao:

I'm not laughing at Gore, I'm laughing at the guys who think this guy is the next great thing. Like I said in an earlier thread, I wouldn't touch Gore with a 10 foot pole.
Adversely, I think it's being uninformative to completely write him off as you are.
...I'm seeing drafts with him going in the first round, ahead of guys like Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White, which I find utterly absurd!
Most fantasy leagues have a huge demand for RB's. Gore is generally, from what I've seen, being drafted in accordance to where he was taken in the NFL draft. He was the 6th RB taken in the NFL draft and he's usually the 6th to 9th RB taken in dynasty drafts. If anything, people are dropping him lower to where he belongs...around the 12th to 18th player chosen. Perhaps you are not in leagues with a huge demand for RB's, but it should not come as a surprise to you that the 6th drafted RB is drafted there or after in a dynasty league.
And I have great knowledge of Frank Gore, BTW. I watched Miami games when he was the starter and yes, he was impressive...What Gore has done to get to the NFL is admirable, but he will never be the same guy who played at Miami before his surgeries. Don't point to McGahee or Lewis... ain't the same.
Why is that? What is so different about Gore's injuries in relation to the others?

Kit Fisto,I don't remember exactly what injuries Robert Edwards sufferred. I remember folks saying he'd struggle to walk normally never mind playing. When he played folks seemed to think of it more as a medical marvel or enormous progress in reconstructive surgery...it was a big deal that he could play.I don't know much about Gore but I'll take a wild guess Edwards and his injury aren't a fair comparison.

Frank Gore is nothing more than insurance for Barlow owners. I happen to be one of them. Picked him up in the offseason as my RB3 or 4 depending on what 2 of the top rookies do (I have the 1.1 and 1.3 picks this year). I'll be targeting Gore as a backup but I'm not looking at him as a guy who kept McGahee on the bench and thus projecting him high. That's ancient history. Rattay is going to be the starter game 1. He will get injured and Alex Smith will get some playing time. But no matter who's starting that RB BETTER be able to pick up the blitz either to keep the brittle Rattay upright or to protect the future of the frranchise. Who's got the better chance of picking up the blitz? Gore or Barlow? I'm not sure of Gore's blocking skills in college but in the Pro's it's a whole different story.....

Users who are viewing this thread