What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gorilla Rescues Toddler at Zoo, Gorilla Euthanized (1 Viewer)

So a zookeeper who worked with gorillas in a zoo isn't an expert on gorillas in zoos?
I have no idea.  Someone who '[has] worked with Gorillas as a zookeeper while in my twenties (before children) and they are my favorite animal (out of dozens) that I have ever worked closely with." is probably not an "expert".

More knowledgable than me, and I already said it was a good post, but spending a couple of years working with Gorillas probably does not qualify anyone as an "expert".

I have no idea.  Someone who '[has] worked with Gorillas as a zookeeper while in my twenties (before children) and they are my favorite animal (out of dozens) that I have ever worked closely with." is probably not an "expert".

More knowledgable than me, and I already said it was a good post, but spending a couple of years working with Gorillas probably does not qualify anyone as an "expert".
How do you know it was just a couple?

There is a fence, 4 feet of bushes, and a moat.

The moat exists to keep the Ape from jumping up on the people side - allows the exhibit to be higher up where the people can see the Apes, albeit across the fence/bushes/moat
The boy, who goes unnamed, wanted to get a closer look at the Gorilla World exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo. In order to do so, he snuck away from his mom and siblings, and going under a rail, through wires and bushes and over a moat wall to try and get into the enclosure, according to the zoo. He ended up slipping and falling down a steep cliff for about 10-12 feet, landing in a moat at the bottom.

Otis said:
And by the way, if there is fault here, it's 100% on the zoo.  If a four year old child can crack your security, you probably need to rework your security.  TIA
I seriously fear for the safety of your children. I guess I'd better do it quickly. They may not be long for this world. Hopefully your wife is in charge of the kids 99.999% of the time.

Maybe the only good thing to come out of this are the Facebook comments. It is astonishing how many bat#### crazy people there are out there. Saw one comment where somebody wrote "how many more beautiful animals have to die at the hands of negligent parents." :lmao:

There is a fence, 4 feet of bushes, and a moat.

The moat exists to keep the Ape from jumping up on the people side - allows the exhibit to be higher up where the people can see the Apes, albeit across the fence/bushes/moat
So basically a 3-foot fence and 4 feet of bushes preventing the kid access?

Some of the best Facebook comments I've seen ...

Why killing him?, police officers are well trained right?, but at any circumstances that's all they do is use their guns.

This has nothing to do with Police Officers ! But you just had to throw that in here. Police and zookeepers are two different people. However I'll bet you that Police Officers feel like zookeepers with all the animals running around in our streets ! #Bluelivesmatter , there I said it !

child is safe that is what matters...family does not have to Barry him. The gorilla will go to heaven...

VERY VERY SAD!!! THE ZOO AND THE PARENTS ARE WHO EVER WAS WATCHING HIM NEEDS TO CHECK YOUR SELFS ... IF GORILLA WAS GOING TO ATTACK THE BOY HE WAS HAVE DONE IT. RT. AWAY . HE KNEW WAS YOUNG HUMAN,HE SEE HUMANS EVERY DAY. VERY SAD TO THE TENTH DEGREE...

So a zookeeper who worked with gorillas in a zoo isn't an expert on gorillas in zoos?
Yes I'm an expert on Gorillas. I can tell you everything about them. I've worked with them for years.

At 9:00 you shovel the Gorilla poo.

At 10:00 you hose down the balcony.

At 11:00 you put out the bananas.

12:00 hose down the "tree".

1:00 More bananas.

I have years of experience working with these magnificent wild beasts.

Why killing him?, police officers are well trained right?, but at any circumstances that's all they do is use their guns.

This has nothing to do with Police Officers ! But you just had to throw that in here. Police and zookeepers are two different people. However I'll bet you that Police Officers feel like zookeepers with all the animals running around in our streets ! #Bluelivesmatter , there I said it !

child is safe that is what matters...family does not have to Barry him. The gorilla will go to heaven...

VERY VERY SAD!!! THE ZOO AND THE PARENTS ARE WHO EVER WAS WATCHING HIM NEEDS TO CHECK YOUR SELFS ... IF GORILLA WAS GOING TO ATTACK THE BOY HE WAS HAVE DONE IT. RT. AWAY . HE KNEW WAS YOUNG HUMAN,HE SEE HUMANS EVERY DAY. VERY SAD TO THE TENTH DEGREE...
Lol. These are great. Go to the Cincinnati Zoo Facebook page for endless amounts of these incomprehensible HOT TAKES. I just continue to be floored by the amount of mouth breathers. I honestly don't know how these folks function day in and day out. MThe best has been the morning when the foreign contingent are shaking their fingers.  English isn't their first language so they get frustrated very easily and totally can't understand sarcasm. I've gotten very guilty pleasure trolling the hell out of them the last couple of days. My wife is getting pissed because I've had my face buried in the page and laughing to myself. I don't care though...endless fun. Almost worth the whole hullabaloo. :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
So jack Hannah says this gorilla can crush a coconut in his hand . How did he jerk it? Be careful big man

They interviewed Ron Magill of Zoo Miami on the Dan Le Batard show this morning. He was the most reasonable guy and everything he said was thoughtful and well said. Spoke about knowing and caring for the gorilla and was even there when the gorilla's father was born (also in captivity), but that the zoo did the right thing, no doubt about it. Talked about loving animals, but a human child has to come first every time. He felt that the gorilla did not intend to hurt the boy, but that it was still a very real threat to the boy's life.  Said if he witnessed the last rhino on earth that was threatening his child or if he thought that killing it was the only way to feed and keep his family alive, then he would absolutely kill it. He said that the mother absolutely shared fault in this, but we should not be so quick to vilify her. He expressed hope that the family would raise money for conservation in honor of the gorilla and that some good would come from this. 

Anyway, it's about a ten minute interview at the beginning of hour 3 of the show.  http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=15854180&cast=9941853

Definitely worth a listen if you didn't hear it already. 

They interviewed Ron Magill of Zoo Miami on the Dan Le Batard show this morning. He was the most reasonable guy and everything he said was thoughtful and well said. Spoke about knowing and caring for the gorilla and was even there when the gorilla's father was born (also in captivity), but that the zoo did the right thing, no doubt about it. Talked about loving animals, but a human child has to come first every time. He felt that the gorilla did not intend to hurt the boy, but that it was still a very real threat to the boy's life.  Said if he witnessed the last rhino on earth that was threatening his child or if he thought that killing it was the only way to feed and keep his family alive, then he would absolutely kill it. He said that the mother absolutely shared fault in this, but we should not be so quick to vilify her. He expressed hope that the family would raise money for conservation in honor of the gorilla and that some good would come from this. 

Anyway, it's about a ten minute interview at the beginning of hour 3 of the show.  http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=15854180&cast=9941853

Definitely worth a listen if you didn't hear it already. 
well seeing she released a statement and never once mentioned the gorilla i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for this to happen

My favorite so far:

MICHELL you are nothing , STUPID MOTHER CRIMINAL HOPPE THE VOICE OF THE GORILLA DONT LET YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT

Otis said:
And by the way, if there is fault here, it's 100% on the zoo.  If a four year old child can crack your security, you probably need to rework your security.  TIA
The safari ride at disney's animal kingdom is not 4 year old proof. If a parent ignored their kids proclamation that he was climbing over the edge of the truck and then decided to turn the other way to pseudo parent one of their other 3 kids, the 4 year old would have no trouble hopping right over the edge. Guess they need to rework their vehicles and put plexiglass screens up.

The safari ride at disney's animal kingdom is not 4 year old proof. If a parent ignored their kids proclamation that he was climbing over the edge of the truck and then decided to turn the other way to pseudo parent one of their other 3 kids, the 4 year old would have no trouble hopping right over the edge. Guess they need to rework their vehicles and put plexiglass screens up.
Yup. :shrug:  

9 pages in and you're still arguing about this?

Guys. This isn't hard. You make a theme park to attract four year olds there. Then you separate said four year olds from a 15 foot drop and deadly animals using only a half fence and a bush.  End thread already?

And lol at "the mother issued a statement but didn't even mention the gorilla."

:lmao:

If THIS is what keeps you up at night, good lord. 

Guys. This isn't hard. You make a theme park to attract four year olds there. Then you separate said four year olds from a 15 foot drop and deadly animals using only a half fence and a bush.  End thread already?
Who needs a fence and bush when God can protect you?

Yeah looking at that picture I am shocked there is no glass wall between people and the gorillas. I understand nothing happened for 40 plus years but still any person could climb the fence if they really wanted to. The Gorilla exhibit in the Bronx Zoo is glass encased.

You guys ever step on an ant or kill a housefly? Mouse in a mousetrap?

ALL GODS CREATURES OMGGGF

What is the point of the moat if the gorillas can just jump down in it? 
On the side adjacent to their indoor habitat they can climb down via a ladder. The side with the spectators doesn't have a ladder and doesn't allow them any chance to scale.

Im also going to chime in on the mother. The mother made a horrible mistake (probably on her cell phone or something) but no parent in this thread is immune for mistakes. I dont think she should be vilified. She should be grateful her child is alive and her mistake did not cause her his life and absolutely the child's life is more valuable than the gorillas. No debate about it.

Users who are viewing this thread