What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Football Player??? (3 Viewers)

Please do us all a favor and change the thread title to "best athlete that played football" or "player that could fill the most roles."

Kids playing street ball, one of them is fast, he can catch, he can play defense, he can block. He stands out, ya see he's a football player. The kid playing QB can't do anything but throw a football.

Please do us all a favor and change the thread title to "best athlete that played football" or "player that could fill the most roles."
How could anything think any QB could be....THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER....? When all they can do is pass a football?

Kids playing street ball, one of them is fast, he can catch, he can play defense, he can block. He stands out, ya see he's a football player. The kid playing QB can't do anything but throw a football.
Well that and run, recognize a defense, change the formation, change the play, control the pace of the game, adjust blocking assignments, control the clock, and manipulate what the defense does.  But excluding that - yeah he throws the ball, often 20 yards downfield while running for his life into a tight window where only his player can catch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that and run, recognize a defense, change the formation, change the play, control the pace of the game, adjust blocking assignments, control the clock, and manipulate what the defense does.  But excluding that - yeah he throws the ball, often 20 yards downfield while running for his life into a tight window where only his player can catch it.
Now compare that to what Deion could do.

Bill Dudley

He rushed for over 2000 yards

Returned punts for over 1000 yards

Had about a 1000 yards passing

Had 1300 yards receiving

Had 23 INTs

Had a 38 yard punting avg

Had 1700 yards returning K0;s

Scoring 44 TD, 33 FG 121 PATs

Who was  a better football player than that guy?

Bill Dudley

He rushed for over 2000 yards

Returned punts for over 1000 yards

Had about a 1000 yards passing

Had 1300 yards receiving

Had 23 INTs

Had a 38 yard punting avg

Had 1700 yards returning K0;s

Scoring 44 TD, 33 FG 121 PATs

Who was  a better football player than that guy?
He could be elected first ballot on the jack of all trades Hall of Fame.

The Charger had a guy who  scored....

Passing

Rushing

Receiving

Punt return

Kickoff  return

PAT

FG

Imagine a team full of guys like that,

He could be elected first ballot on the jack of all trades Hall of Fame.
Or he could be The Greatest Football player of all time.

Career highlights and awards

2× Pro Bowl (1950, 1951)

4× First-team All-Pro (1942, 1946–1948)

2× Second-team All-Pro (1951, 1952)

NFL Most Valuable Player (1946)

2× NFL rushing yards leader (1942, 1946)

NFL interceptions leader (1946)

NFL 1940s All-Decade Team

Washington Redskins Ring of Fame

Pittsburgh Steelers Legends team

Maxwell Award (1941)

Consensus All-American (1941)

Career NFL statistics

Rushing yards:3,057

Rushing touchdowns:18

Receiving yards:1,383

Receiving touchdowns:18

Interceptions:23

Field goals:33/66 (50.0%)

Player stats at NFL.com

Bill Dudley

He could pass, he could run, he could receive, he played defense so could tackle, he could block, he kicked, he punted, returned kicks.

There he is The Greatest Footbal player ever.

Or he could be The Greatest Football player of all time.
Sure you could put him in the mix - but he played in the 40's and 50's when they were part-time players.  Not sure if the level of competition is the same as modern day NFL players.  But who knows, maybe he could be the greatest if he played against the same competition.

Sure you could put him in the mix - but he played in the 40's and 50's when they were part-time players.  Not sure if the level of competition is the same as modern day NFL players.  But who knows, maybe he could be the greatest if he played against the same competition.
You never look at over era's with this THE GREATEST thing. You always go with the dominance of that era.

There has never been any player in the history of the NFL who  could hurt a team as many ways as Bill Dudley could.

Do you think Tom Brady is the greatest football player ever?  Forget the fact he can't run, can;t catch, can't tackle. can't block.,,,but is the greatest...huh?
He can do all of those things.  What are you talking about?  He has run for first downs, caught passes from others, as well as blocked and tackled opponents to clear space for his running backs.

I can only go by players in my generation. Tough to argue about the old timers as it was a different game in many respects. The greatest football player I ever got a chance to see play was Walter Payton. The stats and all around game were there, as they are for every "great", but his durability at his position is the most amazing thing that really set him apart in my mind. 13 year career and missed one game at RB. That one game was his rookie year with a sprained ankle that he wanted to play and was pissed off when coach didn't let him. From that point on he never missed a game and played with fevers, knees filled with fluid, swollen elbows, hamstring pulls and a fractured rib. 186 consecutive games, especially with the way he played he RB, made him the greatest IMO.

I can only go by players in my generation. Tough to argue about the old timers as it was a different game in many respects. The greatest football player I ever got a chance to see play was Walter Payton. The stats and all around game were there, as they are for every "great", but his durability at his position is the most amazing thing that really set him apart in my mind. 13 year career and missed one game at RB. That one game was his rookie year with a sprained ankle that he wanted to play and was pissed off when coach didn't let him. From that point on he never missed a game and played with fevers, knees filled with fluid, swollen elbows, hamstring pulls and a fractured rib. 186 consecutive games, especially with the way he played he RB, made him the greatest IMO.
Payton could block, return kicks, run, catch, throw. That is the kind of guy it takes. someone multi talented. 

Payton was incredible, so let's check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq15VkLfPgc

had an entire week of this debate last week with my buddies. apparently there was a ESPN special about 100 greatest athletes of all time and Jim Brown was depicted as the greatest "football player" of all time, which prompted the discussion. our conclusion at least was that in football it has to be positional. NBA in contrast could have a greatest player of all time, but it's easier for one athlete to play every position in basketball. baseball was the opposite extreme, even more so that football. so it's too subjective.

btw, greatest athlete to play QB has to be Vick. unless we're talking it has to be someone who actually won stuff, then Young still over Brady.

had an entire week of this debate last week with my buddies. apparently there was a ESPN special about 100 greatest athletes of all time and Jim Brown was depicted as the greatest "football player" of all time, which prompted the discussion. our conclusion at least was that in football it has to be positional. NBA in contrast could have a greatest player of all time, but it's easier for one athlete to play every position in basketball. baseball was the opposite extreme, even more so that football. so it's too subjective.

btw, greatest athlete to play QB has to be Vick. unless we're talking it has to be someone who actually won stuff, then Young still over Brady.
Russel Wilson was a stud baseballer and a far better QB than Vick. While not as fast as Vick he is a more scarey  run/pass threat because he can really pass.

Jim Brown did no blocking, or tackling. Fellow Browns FB Marion Motley had a better APC,  was a monster blocker and played defense, how could Brown be better than that?

Russel Wilson was a stud baseballer and a far better QB than Vick. While not as fast as Vick he is a more scarey  run/pass threat because he can really pass.
thought of Wilson when I wrote that and i don't disagree. Vick may not have been as accurate as Wilson, but the way he just flicked his wrist to throw 25+ yards on the run was just sick.

thought of Wilson when I wrote that and i don't disagree. Vick may not have been as accurate as Wilson, but the way he just flicked his wrist to throw 25+ yards on the run was just sick.
Yes Vick was a freakish talent to be a QB.  But as far as I know football was his only gig. I think of "athlete" as somebody who can do a multitude of things,

Lawrence Taylor.

if you saw him play, you know what I’m talking about.

if you didn’t, you won’t understand.

And, this is coming from a lifelong Cowboys fan.
Saw him in college, yep,a man vs boys (think Derrick Henry in HS) A real strong case can be made LT was the best defensive player ever.

using the clone scenario, the best football player is Usain Bolt.
Here is the trick to his greatness.

He came up a 400/200 sprinter, he trained as a "long sprinter'.  He spent years running the 200m, building his"speed endurance".

So....  when he finally talked his coach Glen Mills into letting him give a 100m a shot he had a whole other level of "speed endurance".

So....with that 6-5 stride it takes him longer to hit his topend that MV (max velocity)  more 75ishm as opposed to a normal sprinters who max out around 65ish.

So....while trying to sustain/maintain as much of their MV before the decelleration phase sits sprinters rely on that all important  "speed endurance". 

Bolt is still working up to his MV at 75ish, meaning he spends less time in the sustaining phase and that decelleration phase, with his level  of "speed endurance" unlike anything we have seen, words like alien, outerworldly would work.

A unique sprinter.

The answer is Dwight Freeney he could play the safety pos. Lb pos.  If he could have played during Dudley era he would have dominated.  But he couldn't because he is black.

The answer is Dwight Freeney he could play the safety pos. Lb pos.  If he could have played during Dudley era he would have dominated.  But he couldn't because he is black.
There are TONS of......what if.

Bullet Bil Dudley

passed

rushed

caught the ball

blocked

tackled

intercepted

PAT

FG

kicked off

returned kickoffs

punted

returned punts

He is The Greatest Football Player in history.

No player ever played on every team a team has and was the main man there.

There are TONS of......what if.

Bullet Bil Dudley

passed

rushed

caught the ball

blocked

tackled

intercepted

PAT

FG

kicked off

returned kickoffs

punted

returned punts

He is The Greatest Football Player in history.

No player ever played on every team a team has and was the main man 
Yeah I'm out can't argue with  this logic.

bucksoh said:
and he wasn't alive

Given the odd conversation here, I am surprised nobody has mentioned George Blanda. In 61, Blanda threw for 3330 yards, 36 TDs, made 64 XP, 16 FG (including 2 from 50+). He was a kicker, QB or both for 26 years in the NFL. 

ericttspikes said:
:goodposting:

You beat me to it.  Not only Payton was one the best runners of all time, he was a very good pass catcher, could throw the ball.....and could have been CHI's punter or kicker.

But what impressed me the most was.... Payton never went out of bounds....ever.  That dude would take it right to a linebacker or a cornerback and deliver the punishment before getting tackled.  Might have had the best stiff arm that I have ever seen.  Which made it even more impressive that he missed only one game in his career.   Might have been the toughest 200-210 lb player ever.  His conditioning workouts were legendary.

Couldn't imagine what Payton would have done if he ran behind Emmitt Smith's OL.

Given the odd conversation here, I am surprised nobody has mentioned George Blanda. In 61, Blanda threw for 3330 yards, 36 TDs, made 64 XP, 16 FG (including 2 from 50+). He was a kicker, QB or both for 26 years in the NFL. 
Back on those old Oilers teams there was Billy Cannon, a 9.5 sprinter at LSU who returned kicks, ran, could catch (ended up a TE).  He was a far better "football player" than George Blanda. Cannon a Heisman inner.

While it may be impossible to name a "best ever",if pressed to do so it's Jim Brown...next question.

:goodposting:

You beat me to it.  Not only Payton was one the best runners of all time, he was a very good pass catcher, could throw the ball.....and could have been CHI's punter or kicker.

But what impressed me the most was.... Payton never went out of bounds....ever.  That dude would take it right to a linebacker or a cornerback and deliver the punishment before getting tackled.  Might have had the best stiff arm that I have ever seen.  Which made it even more impressive that he missed only one game in his career.   Might have been the toughest 200-210 lb player ever.  His conditioning workouts were legendary.

Couldn't imagine what Payton would have done if he ran behind Emmitt Smith's OL.
Would ya believe he had an older bro in the NFL?

While in HS he jumped close to 23 feet in the long jump, avg 18 points a game in B-ball and played baseball.

He avg 6.0 yards a carry coming out of Jackson State and scored 63 TD's in his 4 seasons there, he also was a serious kicker.

As far as  a HULK at 210ish, yep, a monster for his size.

Amazing runner, could block, catch, throw, kick, little doubts he could play D.

AND....he played in the band in HS,  ha~~~

While it may be impossible to name a "best ever",if pressed to do so it's Jim Brown...next question.
HUGE....Jim Brown fan here...HUGE. His  "Jimmy Brown"  rookie card one of more cherished possessions, but...............

He never blocked, talking....never.  And didn't play defense.

Marion Motley a fellow Browns fullback actually avg more yards a carry at 5.7   (still NFL record) he was a monster blocker still considered the best, and was a linebacker on defense.  And could catch the ball.

While did Brown have him, yep...nothing.

Wiki

Marion Motley

Marion Motley (June 5, 1920 – June 27, 1999) was an American football fullback and linebacker who played for the Cleveland Browns in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) and National Football League (NFL). He was a leading pass-blocker and rusher in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and ended his career with an average of 5.7 yards per carry, a record for a fullback that still stands. A versatile player who possessed both quickness and size, Motley was a force on both offense and defense. Fellow Hall of Fame running back Joe Perry once called Motley "the greatest all-around football player there ever was".[1]

Back on those old Oilers teams there was Billy Cannon, a 9.5 sprinter at LSU who returned kicks, ran, could catch (ended up a TE).  He was a far better "football player" than George Blanda. Cannon a Heisman inner.
"football player" is just weird random thing that you are the lone judge on so yes I agree Cannon was a better "football player".

"football player" is just weird random thing that you are the lone judge on so yes I agree Cannon was a better "football player".
In track we have sprinters, jumpers, throwers, then we have the decathlete who can do it all.  No he can;t beat any of those athletes in their event but he can do all the events.

This is about that, that guy who is the best "football player" not QB, RB, TE....etc.

Bill Dudley is the only HOF player who played on every team on a football team. The guy could do it all, everything. He has to be the best football player since there was nothing he couldn't do on a football field.

No other player in NFL history scored 10 different ways but Dudley.

In track we have sprinters, jumpers, throwers, then we have the decathlete who can do it all.  No he can;t beat any of those athletes in their event but he can do all the events.

This is about that, that guy who is the best "football player" not QB, RB, TE....etc.

Bill Dudley is the only HOF player who played on every team on a football team. The guy could do it all, everything. Hehas to be the best football players since there was nothing he couldn't do on a football field.
He was 5-10 and 180 pounds, he could barely play any modern football position. If you sent Derwin James or Saquon Barkley back to 1930 they could dominate at any position except maybe kicker or QB.

Users who are viewing this thread