What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

Packers extend Jaire Alexander with a record deal.

Two first round picks in Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt.

Re-signed De’Vondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas; Preston Smith extended.

Bring in Jarran Reed. 

Huge pressure on Joe Barry to make this defense live up to the hype.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Such a good breakdown. The #Packers D should take a leap, not only with Jaire Alexander healthy but coaches view Eric Stokes as a budding star primed for a big year. Stokes’ continued emergence should be something to watch.

The 33rd Team@The33rdTeamFB

I think Green Bay is the best overall with Jaire Alexander and Eric Stokes only going into his second season and (Rasul) Douglas looked like a different player being coached by Jerry Gray.” – Former Pro Bowl DB Samari Rolle

Tier 1

Tier 1 consists of the teams that have two cornerbacks who each could be CB1 on other teams. All four of these teams possess the ability to play man-to-man, in zone coverage, create turnovers, and lock down a high-end receiver.

Baltimore Ravens: Marcus Peters, Marlon Humphrey

Miami Dolphins: Xavien Howard, Byron Jones

Philadelphia Eagles: Darius Slay, James Bradberry

Green Bay Packers: Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes

The big worry right now is Bahktiari...this long after surgery and still having issues with his knee.  Including another procedure this offseason.  Will he ever get back to his previous form?

Couple that with rookie WR Christian Watson having an injury and missing part of important camp time for a rookie at that position.

Not a great few days going into camp.

Ugly win...but a win is a win.
Good to see Bakhtiari back...hoping Jaire was more precautionary and he doesn't miss much time. Good on the young kid Keisean Nixon stepping in and playing pretty well. Doubs played well also. Other big positives...the D front. Gary was damn good, Reed and Clark made plays. And the number of times I saw an arm up around the neck of Gary and Preston Smith was interesting (especially with it only called holding once...more on that later).

First 2.9 drives looked great until that hit on Jones knocked the ball loose. Then Tampa adjusted and Green Bay couldn't seem to do anything.
Special teams had a nice game too...anytime they don't screw up is good. The only negative with them was highly influenced by bad officiating. The running into the punter when the guy was thrown into the punter was bad. On the repunt...the players are running side by side and he pushes him...yeah, dumb as the guy for Tampa was smart and turned so the hands hit his back...but seemed ticky tack. The more concern was there was a nice return on the first punt, then with the two penalties it was 30+ yards difference in field position.

Hate also that they went prevent on that last drive...whether they were gassed or what, just stay with what got you there. They weren't going to burn you on a big play.

My other defensive concern...there seems to be several plays each week where one of the ILBs drops into the flat area and a player gets just behind them for an easy 10-15 yards. Whether that is just the weakness in the scheme or what...it seems to happen too often.

Also interesting how week 1 we got the whole Davante Adams catches and yards vs. Packers WRs.
Haven't got that the last 2 weeks and the Raiders are 0-3 and just lost to a bad Titans team.

Amari Rodgers finally cut.
Surprising that they also cut Kylin Hill who showed decent promise as a COP RB plus did handle kickoffs alright.

Amari Rodgers finally cut.
Surprising that they also cut Kylin Hill who showed decent promise as a COP RB plus did handle kickoffs alright.
Sounds like Hill was cut for attitude reasons.
Interesting…well yeah we have plenty of attitude from our QB. Cant have it from the fringe of the roster.
Not quite the same. How many MVP awards has Hill won?

Hill’s release came after the Packers decided that he wasn’t performing up to their expectations. He is not expected to receive an offer to join the practice squad if he clears waivers. Coach Matt LaFleur said his release was not an on-field decision, indicating it was more about his fit in the locker room.​
“Being a member of the Green Bay Packers is a privilege," LaFleur said, "and there are standards and expectations that are placed on every member of this team that we expect guys to live up to. I appreciate what Kylin’s been through, and I know it hasn’t been easy coming back from that knee injury that he suffered a year ago, that was a pretty devastating hit.​
"He’s a guy we had some high expectations for, and I realize that he is in a loaded room. But regardless of your role – no matter how big or how small – we expect guys to come to work and just be supportive and own that role to the best of their ability. When you don’t do that, this is what happens.”​

Amari Rodgers
finally cut.
Surprising that they also cut
Kylin Hill
who showed decent promise as a COP RB plus did handle kickoffs alright.
Sounds like
Hill
was cut for attitude reasons.
Interesting…well yeah we have plenty of attitude from our QB. Cant have it from the fringe of the roster.
Not quite the same. How many MVP awards has
Hill
won?

Hill
’s release came after the Packers decided that he wasn’t performing up to their expectations. He is not expected to receive an offer to join the practice squad if he clears waivers. Coach Matt LaFleur said his release was not an on-field decision, indicating it was more about his fit in the locker room.
“Being a member of the​
Green
Bay Packers is a privilege," LaFleur said, "and there are standards and expectations that are placed on every member of this team that we expect guys to live up to. I appreciate what Kylin’s been through, and I know it hasn’t been easy coming back from that knee injury that he suffered a year ago, that was a pretty devastating hit.
"He’s a guy we had some high expectations for, and I realize that he is in a loaded room. But regardless of your role – no matter how big or how small – we expect guys to come to work and just be supportive and own that role to the best of their ability. When you don’t do that, this is what happens.”​

Oh...Im agreeing there. That a guy like Hill cannot have the attitude. Does not have the clout at all (and being a lesser paid bottom of the roster guy...you will always be an easy sacrifice).
Rodgers has earned that leeway and being able to have some attitude (though, that outburst late in the game was poor form IMO).

Its also seemingly clearer and clearer that Gutey not so good at the drafting.

Amari Rodgers
finally cut.
Kylin Hill
Sounds like
Hill
Hill
won?

Hill
’s release came after the Packers decided that he wasn’t performing up to their expectations. He is not expected to receive an offer to join the practice squad if he clears waivers. Coach Matt LaFleur said his release was not an on-field decision, indicating it was more about his fit in the locker room.
“Being a member of the​
Green
Bay Packers is a privilege," LaFleur said, "and there are standards and expectations that are placed on every member of this team that we expect guys to live up to. I appreciate what Kylin’s been through, and I know it hasn’t been easy coming back from that knee injury that he suffered a year ago, that was a pretty devastating hit.

Oh...Im agreeing there. That a guy like Hill cannot have the attitude. Does not have the clout at all (and being a lesser paid bottom of the roster guy...you will always be an easy sacrifice).
Rodgers has earned that leeway and being able to have some attitude (though, that outburst late in the game was poor form IMO).

Cause they cut Hill, a seventh rounder?

Amari Rodgers
finally cut.
Kylin Hill
Sounds like
Hill
Hill
won?

Hill
“Being a member of the​
Green

Hill, Rodgers…
That 2021 draft looks pretty bad after a year and a half.
2020 you have Dillon and Runyan and what else?
His draft skills are questionable.

Amari Rodgers
finally cut.
Kylin Hill
Sounds like
Hill
Hill
won?

Hill
“Being a member of the​
Green

Hill, Rodgers…
For some reason I've fallen under the impression that we should have J. Jefferson instead of Love but looking back at the draft, I don't see how that could've happened...is my memory failing?

Amari Rodgers
finally cut.
Kylin Hill
Sounds like
Hill
Hill
won?

Hill
“Being a member of the​
Green

Hill, Rodgers…
For some reason I've fallen under the impression that we should have J. Jefferson instead of Love but looking back at the draft, I don't see how that could've happened...is my memory failing?
There were rumors the Pack might trade up for a WR. No dice.

This team blows.
Definitely lacking consistent offense (both in execution and in game plan). 3rd quarter looked nice...like they actually adjusted to some things and knew how to play...the 4th quarter was just garbage.

Defensively...Barry just has to be gone...soon. To get carved up by Tannehill is just unacceptable. Nice planning, I guess, on keeping Henry in check. But he was still effective in moving the chains and eating clock. The secondary needs a lot of work...just constantly miscommunication/blown coverages leaving guys wide open. Every week.
And zero pass rush whatsoever. Just a pitiful effort against a bad offensive football team.

Rodgers left yards and points on the field, especially late. Is that related to his hand injury?

Last edited:
Has Joe Barry been fired yet? If not why?

I don't recall seeing a secondary as lost as the Packers. Breakdown after breakdown. DB's looking at each other after every longer completion like someone f'd up. Amazing how many 3rd and semi long conversions TEN had with the DB's giving such a large cushion. Simple pitch and catch and this against one of the worst passing offenses in the league

Rodgers needs to pull his head out of his a** too but we knew there would be offensive struggles. The defense and Packers running game was supposed to carry this team while the passing game figured things out. I'd rather have Pettine or hell Dom Capers at this point. Barry sucks.

Worst 3rd down containment I’ve see in years. TN seemed to convert every single one. And Errant Rodgers. My God. Maybe step into a throw once in awhile to be more accurate. Can you imagine Tua’s accuracy hitting Lazard and others in stride? They’d still be running. I can’t believe how bad Rodgers is this year. Can’t blame poor throws on the lack of Davante.

Something tells me this team, and maybe particularly Rodgers, doesn't like playing in cold weather. Winter doesn't feel like the home field advantage it once did.

Something tells me this team, and maybe particularly Rodgers, doesn't like playing in cold weather. Winter doesn't feel like the home field advantage it once did.
They haven’t been a great cold weather team in a while

Though, I don’t think the weather was a factor at all last night.

I wake up every morning disappointed that Joe Berry is still the DC.:sadbanana:

Yeah...it appears he will be the DC again this year. Only hope is he listens to the players like he apparently did a few games at the end of the season last year.
Don't think he will...he will go back to the same boring, no pressure, umbrella coverage BS hoping to get home rushing 3-4 guys and getting burnt all year by crossing patterns.

Another draft and of course some will complain they didn’t take a receiver. Sure, Snith-Njigba would have been a fun pick (and a bit of a troll of Rodgers)…but happy with the selection. Premium pick go get a premium position. I thought edge or OT going in…its what they are setting up for when Preston leaves. And to help while Gary rehabs. This pick os for years 2-3 hoping to see the same growth we saw from Gary to have two solid rush OLBs and a guy with the size to stay out there in nickel.

Id expect at least one or two of tonights picks to be WR and/or TE and a good shot at S or OL.

Another draft and of course some will complain they didn’t take a receiver. Sure, Snith-Njigba would have been a fun pick (and a bit of a troll of Rodgers)…but happy with the selection. Premium pick go get a premium position. I thought edge or OT going in…its what they are setting up for when Preston leaves. And to help while Gary rehabs. This pick os for years 2-3 hoping to see the same growth we saw from Gary to have two solid rush OLBs and a guy with the size to stay out there in nickel.

Id expect at least one or two of tonights picks to be WR and/or TE and a good shot at S or OL.

Another year, another dude on defense in the first.

I really don't care what position the Packers take in the first, it's all about getting guys who can play and they've taken like a zillion guys on defense the last 10+ years. Other than Alexander being a massive hit, most of those guys were not worth the capital spent on them. You'd think the D would be a lot better than it is with that much investment. To me, that's the complaint. So when I see them taking Van Ness, I just sort of shrug and hope this one will work out, but I don't get too excited due to our long history of guys who didn't really make any difference.

Another year, another dude on defense in the first.

I really don't care what position the Packers take in the first, it's all about getting guys who can play and they've taken like a zillion guys on defense the last 10+ years. Other than Alexander being a massive hit, most of those guys were not worth the capital spent on them. You'd think the D would be a lot better than it is with that much investment. To me, that's the complaint. So when I see them taking Van Ness, I just sort of shrug and hope this one will work out, but I don't get too excited due to our long history of guys who didn't really make any difference.
Id say Gary has been worth it and prior to the injury was definitely showing that.
And Kenny Clark was a 1st round pick as well and for sure was worth that.
Walker an early disappointment but we will see what he does in years 2 and 3.
So yeah Savage seems to either just not be good or they don’t utilize him well. I think he clearly has talent. Stokes is still a big question mark.

Should they be a better D…most definitely.

They have also had success historically in the 2nd when it comes to skill positions and developing lineman in the mid rounds. So shooting for talent at the edge makes sense.

My biggest fear this draft was that management believes this team will compete with the current roster. The window is closed and now is the time to purge salary and build up the trenches.

My concern was seeing all the talk about a tight end or receiver in the first which scared me. To see them take a DL was a huge relief.

I’d like them to continue to focus on the trenches with at least one of their second round picks. Would not be upset if they take one of the first round caliber tight ends if one slips. But would be ecstatic if they take an O Lineman and another D Lineman with their two seconds.

This is a rebuild - build the core up front and then build out.

Also wish they cut Bakhtiari and just take the salary cap hits now.
Eh..: I m fine to keep him on to play in front of a draft pick and keep Love upright this year. I think with the restructure..:next year is the year to release him to create cap space if Im reading this correctly.

Definitely don’t disagree that they won’t cut him because of restructure it’s just that he isn’t going to be around for the rebuild. I’d rather see players who will be tried at LT - Tom, or a rookie, or Jenkins.

Plus I get the sense he has completely packed it in. Would practice say he was fine and then not play.

Van Ness is a very Packer type pick, hope he turns into JJ Watt. Would like to see Gute go up for Meyer rather than wait for wait for Musgrave. Steve Avila is tailor made to be a Packer, probably grab him with one of the next two picks.......Is Joe Berry still the DC? :kicksrock:

Packers D is just a bunch of guys. They have some solid players and come up with some huge plays. But as a group they don't have an identity. Something feels like it's missing.

Users who are viewing this thread