What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

Makes the re-signing of Rodgers even more infuriating.

Packers aren’t winning the nfc next year.

Could have had at worst two firsts for Rodgers and then tag and trade Adams to Raiders. The rebuild would be started with a ton of draft capital, and they could spend this year releasing ineffective players like Preston smith instead of resigning them to dumb contracts to help with the cap. 

I have nothing against the Packers.  Rodgers is just a #####, and has really screwed up things for this team at the moment. 

Obviously not to replace Davante…but does it make sense for them to go after Cordarrelle Patterson?  Kind of multi functional and good special teamer?
Maybe if his price came down a ton. I don't see it as a good fit with Jones/Dillon. ATL was perfect storm for him. Lackluster RB room and team lacking receiving options with a QB that likes to checkdown in Ryan.

I think it's why his market has been dead silent. Wants paid like a WR but his biggest impact was as a RB and receiving option out of backfield. He's not a real asset as a WR. He'll find a home soon but it'll take the perfect situation for him to come anywhere close to his 2021 production.

They should trade for Lockett.  Seattle wants to get younger.  Lockett wants to play for a winner.  He doesn't have Adams size but he's faster than Adams, he's good at all 3 levels and he knows where to go on scramble drills.  Would be as close to a replacement as you can get except maybe obj if he's healthy in time.  

They should trade for Lockett.  Seattle wants to get younger.  Lockett wants to play for a winner.  He doesn't have Adams size but he's faster than Adams, he's good at all 3 levels and he knows where to go on scramble drills.  Would be as close to a replacement as you can get except maybe obj if he's healthy in time.  
What about a Devante replacement from Miami. His contract is not too bad. 

What about a Devante replacement from Miami. His contract is not too bad. 
He's a tier 3 player at best. Juju is probably tier 2 and he's a free agent but then you get into a bidding war.  What Rodgers really needs is a 1 and there aren't many in the league let alone available.  I think a quality rookie like burks that you mentioned above would make some sense but preferably along side a veteran who can run the show.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Given their experience together, wouldnt bother with Juju with Cobb back  Neither are good outside options.

I'd go MVS/Lazard/Cobb and a rookie to keep continuity. Perhaps you grab a cheapish vet (really there's not much left on FA WR market). Maybe give Julio a whirl to see what he's got left. I think they'll spend on MVS OR if that fails..  another vet 

My thought earlier as well - maybe send them a RB & Love for Lockett plus

As an outsider, I cannot understand the strategy at all. Half in/out in behavior makes no sense. 

But…..LA is flush with WRs now with Robinson signing. While Woods and OBJ are currently hurt, why not aim there along with the draft? No way the Rams bring them and Jefferson back along with Kupp/Robinson. Likely the most sensibly cheap pseudo replacement at this point. 

As an outsider, I cannot understand the strategy at all. Half in/out in behavior makes no sense. 

But…..LA is flush with WRs now with Robinson signing. While Woods and OBJ are currently hurt, why not aim there along with the draft? No way the Rams bring them and Jefferson back along with Kupp/Robinson. Likely the most sensibly cheap pseudo replacement at this point. 
I don't see the half in/half out behavior. They reportedly were willing to match the Raider's contract offer to Adams. Adams preferred Las Vegas.

I can see the Packers bringing in Will Fuller and either Beasly or Landry. And then draft a WR in the 1st round.

In the last NFCC games Rodgers has had tunnel vision for Adams. That's the main reason Rodgers comes up small in big games. This will force him to look elsewhere and spread the ball around.

Is Amari Rodgers a lost cause? Don’t see Anyone even mentioning him. It’s not like Cobb was particularly good last year. 

I don't see the half in/half out behavior. They reportedly were willing to match the Raider's contract offer to Adams. Adams preferred Las Vegas.

I can see the Packers bringing in Will Fuller and either Beasly or Landry. And then draft a WR in the 1st round.

In the last NFCC games Rodgers has had tunnel vision for Adams. That's the main reason Rodgers comes up small in big games. This will force him to look elsewhere and spread the ball around.
Fuller?  I could see that.

Beasley?  Nah.  They don’t need a slot guy.  That’s why they drafted Amari.

Landry sucks.  Doesn’t get much separation.

Is Amari Rodgers a lost cause? Don’t see Anyone even mentioning him. It’s not like Cobb was particularly good last year. 
Not necessarily a lost cause but he had a bad year. Was given every opportunity early but by the end of the season was not playing at all. Finished the season with 4 receptions on 8 targets. Also failed as a punt returner.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Final thought (for now) on the Davante Adams trade: His agents Frank Bauer and Kenny Chapman confirm that the #Packers offered more money than the contract he’ll sign in Las Vegas. Simply, it was his lifelong dream to be with the #Raiders.

Giving Rodgers a $50 mil contract and making a better offer to Adams than Las Vegas doesn't add up to half in/out. Looks like they are/were all in.

Christian Kirk 

4 yr/$84Million 

Read that over and over because DeVante Adams sure is...he's gotta be worth $30m a season now. 

-Adams will get paid or force his way out of Green Bay, this is going to get pretty ugly if things don't change. 

Rodgers gets $50M,  Kirk $21M per year...somewhere in the middle. 

3 yrs/$100M, that's Adams market right now if he hits free agency and it could be even higher. No way he will step foot on the field for the franchise tag, don't blame him one bit. 

And you can send all MoP hate mail to Christian Kirk, care of the Jax Jags

Cheers! 
So how did this work out? 

Ron Burgandy Knows!

Giving Rodgers a $50 mil contract and making a better offer to Adams than Las Vegas doesn't add up to half in/out. Looks like they are/were all in.
True...but reactionary as well...now a lot of that is based on Rodgers uncertainty.  They could have offered this to Davante a while back.  I would bet he had a bit of ego hitting him that they didn't want him unless they had Rodgers.  And he wanted it about a team wanting him.  The Tag pissed him off and he has wanted to play for the Raiders and back with Carr?

I don't like it overall for GB.  Because they don't really even have a real #2 at this point.  Lazard is a nice player, but not a #2.  I like that Rodgers will be forced to spread things around a bit and not have that tunnel vision...but they need several guys.  And those guys are not easy to find at this point.

I don't mind a slot guy like others are against.  We don't yet know what Amari Rogers is...but hard to count on.  Cobb is a gadget for a year at best...some slot, some out of the backfield and moving around.  Lazard isn't really a slot guy.  A true slot middle threat like Beasley to move the chains would be useful.

JuJu or Fuller... Seem like the best option of what is out there FA wise.  Talented but flawed (Fuller from injuries all the time...JuJu just never seemed right after that big breakout year).

True...but reactionary as well...now a lot of that is based on Rodgers uncertainty.  They could have offered this to Davante a while back.  I would bet he had a bit of ego hitting him that they didn't want him unless they had Rodgers.  And he wanted it about a team wanting him.  The Tag pissed him off and he has wanted to play for the Raiders and back with Carr?

I don't like it overall for GB.  Because they don't really even have a real #2 at this point.  Lazard is a nice player, but not a #2.  I like that Rodgers will be forced to spread things around a bit and not have that tunnel vision...but they need several guys.  And those guys are not easy to find at this point.

I don't mind a slot guy like others are against.  We don't yet know what Amari Rogers is...but hard to count on.  Cobb is a gadget for a year at best...some slot, some out of the backfield and moving around.  Lazard isn't really a slot guy.  A true slot middle threat like Beasley to move the chains would be useful.

JuJu or Fuller... Seem like the best option of what is out there FA wise.  Talented but flawed (Fuller from injuries all the time...JuJu just never seemed right after that big breakout year).
DeVante Parker played like a #1 with Firzpatrick in 2019. 1200 yards and 9 TDs. I think he'd do as well or better with AR. I doubt if he's available now, since Miami wants weapons for Tua to see his ceiling. But there was chatter about trade last year. I think he's only 8 and 9 mil vs the cap this year and next. It would probably cost only a 3rd or later.

Makes the re-signing of Rodgers even more infuriating.

Packers aren’t winning the nfc next year.

Could have had at worst two firsts for Rodgers and then tag and trade Adams to Raiders. The rebuild would be started with a ton of draft capital, and they could spend this year releasing ineffective players like Preston smith instead of resigning them to dumb contracts to help with the cap. 
I hope your right (bears fan), but who else is going to win the division, sure as hell not the Bears?  I think with Rodgers you still have the division for 2 more years no matter who they find to catch the ball.

Packers need two new starters and a slot guy. Randall Cobb is on the team because Rodgers cried to management he needed him. He is done.

Beasley would be the player to go after in the slot and if he is unavailable kick Jarvis Landrys tires. Need speed on outside. Either bring MVS back or check on Will Fuller. As to the possession/go to receiver there are no healthy ones on the market. OBJ is hurt. Robert Woods is hurt. Expecting either to be 100% is not a risk to take. 

I hope your right (bears fan), but who else is going to win the division, sure as hell not the Bears?  I think with Rodgers you still have the division for 2 more years no matter who they find to catch the ball.
I think Vikings have the talent to win the division.

Packers likely the favorite though.

Fair point. Though, as a Texans fan I'd tell you that you don't want Fuller (and I'm a Fuller fan as an ND guy too). He just cannot stay healthy, but those 4-5 games he is he's amazing.

I think the Packers should look non-flashy and go for a guy like Robert Woods to pair with a first round WR this year. This draft is flush with top WR talent and I hope my Texans realize we need help everywhere and grab BPA, which in this draft feels like it could be good value to grab some top WR talent.

yeah - if you believe their after the fact, self serving "reports"

more believable if they put that offer on the table a long time ago for all to see

DeVante Parker played like a #1 with Firzpatrick in 2019. 1200 yards and 9 TDs. I think he'd do as well or better with AR. I doubt if he's available now, since Miami wants weapons for Tua to see his ceiling. But there was chatter about trade last year. I think he's only 8 and 9 mil vs the cap this year and next. It would probably cost only a 3rd or later.
Right...I think they have options.  Obviously none as good as Adams.  And will need Amari Rogers to step up...and likely contributions from a high draft pick this year as well.

Definitely added some interest to FA and the draft beyond just constant talk about Aaron Rodgers.

yeah - if you believe their after the fact, self serving "reports"

more believable if they put that offer on the table a long time ago for all to see
Adams agents are stating GB offered him more.  

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1504667040577118209?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1504667040577118209|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fraiderswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F03%2F17%2Fdavante-adams-turned-down-more-money-from-packers-for-lifelong-dream-of-playing-for-raiders%2F

And they apparently offered him more than everyone but Hopkins last year (believing that Hopkins was an outlier deal...which, the way it was structured, it was).

Why they didn't put offers out before?  Can't say for sure...not having certainty with Rodgers probably didn't help things.

As a Vikings' fan, I wish I could be more excited about this but I think we'll see how good Rodgers made Adams look after seeing Adams play with someone else. Definitely good to not have Adams in the division but I'd have rather seen Rodgers be the one leaving...

This trade is shocking, but I'm not sure it's the wrong move. It's a soft rebuild. Let's them avoid the previous Favre backlash with Rodgers, which divided the fanbase. 

Adams just signed the largest deal ever for a wr. In fact, it's the largest contact ever for any non-QB in NFL history, both in terms of average annual value and total value. 

It definitely hurts their chances at a Super Bow, but it's still early. Let's see what they do. They desperately needed speed on offense and this may provide them the chance to add it. 

Looking further out, there is a real chance that Rodgers does not play out this whole contract. He's already hinted at retirement. Paying a 32 year old wr $30 million on a rebuilding team is not ideal, nor is cutting him and eating a ton of dead cap money. This way they got compensation, for what may have been a very ugly hold-out. 

Finally, recent first and second round wrs have been very productive the last couple years (Chase, Higgins, Lamb, Jefferson, Pittman, Samuel, Moore, Waddle, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Jeudy, McLaurin, Claypool, Brown, etc.). This draft is very deep, once again, in wrs, and has a couple guys in Williams and Pickens that are coming off injuries who will be available later than they should be. Wide receivers have also been assimilating much quicker than in the past. 

This trade is shocking, but I'm not sure it's the wrong move. It a soft rebuild. Let's them avoid the previous Favre backlash with Rodgers, which divided the fanbase. 

Adams just signed the largest deal ever for a wr. In fact, it's the largest contact ever for any non-QB in NFL history, both in terms of average annual value and total value. 

It definitely hurts their chances at a Super Bow, but it's still early. Let's see what they do. They desperately needed speed on offense and this may provide them the chance to add it. 

Looking further out, there is a real chance that Rodgers does not play out this whole contract. He's already hinted at retirement. Paying a 32 year old wr $30 million on a rebuilding team is not ideal, nor is cutting him and eating a ton of dead cap money. This way they got compensation, for what may have been a very ugly hold-out. 

Finally, recent first and second round wrs have been very productive the last couple years (Chase, Higgins, Lamb, Jefferson, Pittman, Samuel, Moore, Waddle, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Jeudy, McLaurin, Claypool, Brown, etc.). This draft is very deep, once again, in wrs, and has a couple guys in Williams and Pickens that are coming off injuries who will be available later than they should be. Wide receivers have also been assimilating much quicker than in the past. 
Oh I am definitely in the camp that the packers made the right move trading Davante. And I also think that Davante is an unreal talent - having the best passer in the game helps when you get open (watch jordan love trying to get the ball to Davante for example) but Adams is as elite as they come. Runs the whole route tree, can beat man and zone and has awesome hands. 

I think my issue is the whole point is to win championships - the Rodgers window is over. He can win a championship just not on this team as constructed and with cap issues. Should have traded Rodgers for 3 firsts to Denver. Then you can eat a bunch of dead money, sign young impending free agents on the team to long term deals with the big cap hits in the beginning of contracts. And boom, clean slate of a ton of draft picks and cap room.

Instead we won’t win anything with the current roster AND we are in cap purgatory for next few years.

I would much rather trade Rodgers, trade Adams, release Zadarius and Preston Smith and unfortunately not re-sign DeVondre Campbell because he is already 28 (although I love Campbell he turned that D around).

Then you have 4 extra firsts and a second, and then can extend Elgton Jenkins, Jaire Alexander, and Rahsaan Gary. Then you are cooking with gas.

instead we can look forward to 1 or 2 more early exits from the playoffs, kicking the salary cap can down the road next year to account for Aaron Rodgers 7 billion dollar cap hit, and seeing young homegrown talent walk away.

Yeah I am pretty frustrated.

Oh I am definitely in the camp that the packers made the right move trading Davante. And I also think that Davante is an unreal talent - having the best passer in the game helps when you get open (watch jordan love trying to get the ball to Davante for example) but Adams is as elite as they come. Runs the whole route tree, can beat man and zone and has awesome hands. 

I think my issue is the whole point is to win championships - the Rodgers window is over. He can win a championship just not on this team as constructed and with cap issues. Should have traded Rodgers for 3 firsts to Denver. Then you can eat a bunch of dead money, sign young impending free agents on the team to long term deals with the big cap hits in the beginning of contracts. And boom, clean slate of a ton of draft picks and cap room.

Instead we won’t win anything with the current roster AND we are in cap purgatory for next few years.

I would much rather trade Rodgers, trade Adams, release Zadarius and Preston Smith and unfortunately not re-sign DeVondre Campbell because he is already 28 (although I love Campbell he turned that D around).

Then you have 4 extra firsts and a second, and then can extend Elgton Jenkins, Jaire Alexander, and Rahsaan Gary. Then you are cooking with gas.

instead we can look forward to 1 or 2 more early exits from the playoffs, kicking the salary cap can down the road next year to account for Aaron Rodgers 7 billion dollar cap hit, and seeing young homegrown talent walk away.

This is the front office being influenced by a year long attack by national media and some fans about their incompetence in dealing with Rodgers. It allows them to save some face, and appease a certain segment of the fanbase. The same segment who booed Rodgers relentlessly his first year, and wore Favre Vikings jerseys to games. The same segment who are terrified of "returning to the '70's", which was over 50 years ago when the league was completely different. 

The Patriots lost the greatest qb in NFL history, and were back in the playoffs 2 years later. There are many ways to build a team. 

I would have been happy with the approach you suggest here, but for me there are too many unknowns to us - as ignorant fans - to really know what went into the decisions the team made, what options were really available and what the current plan really is.  We've just seen two 4 seeds play in the Superbowl. This shows what I think we all know to be the case - the goal is to make the playoffs, try to stay healthy with a solid core of good players and you can win it all with a bit of luck going your way. I'm more of an optimist these days than most, but I'm happy they didn't blow it up completely because I think the window is still open for this team.

I don't see this at all.  I'm pretty excited about next season to be honest with you.  Adams is a great receiver no doubt but part of their recent playoff failures has been due to Rodgers locking into Davante.  That wasn't working and bringing Adams back at a much larger contract would've just handicapped other positions.  

Now they still have very good RBs and offensive line.  With bringing back Douglas they essentially have all the pieces back from a very good defense last year. With a healthy Jaire they should even be better.  Plus they have a ton of draft capital.  4 1st and 2nd round draft picks will add a ton of young/cheap talent to this roster.

Obviously their WR core sucks, the worst in the league as we currently sit but they have time to address it.  I fully expect 2 of their top 4 four picks to go to WR (in a very talent WR draft class) with them also looking to bolster the DL early as well.  In addition I think they'll bring in at least one solid veteran WR, hopefully more. I think things are looking very good for the Packers next year.

There will be some growing pains especially early in the season but if Gutey and the front office doesn't screw it up they will field a solid offense and a very good defense.  Plus they can only improve their special teams and barring a Rodgers injury will be in the upper tier NFC teams yet again next year.  I'm not saying they cruise through the regular season again but I can see them winning 10/11 games.  The fact they got 2 good draft picks for what ultimately is going to be a burdensome contract is amazing to me.  I'm good with all of this and wish Davante well.

I don't see this at all.  I'm pretty excited about next season to be honest with you.  Adams is a great receiver no doubt but part of their recent playoff failures has been due to Rodgers locking into Davante.  That wasn't working and bringing Adams back at a much larger contract would've just handicapped other positions.  

Now they still have very good RBs and offensive line.  With bringing back Douglas they essentially have all the pieces back from a very good defense last year. With a healthy Jaire they should even be better.  Plus they have a ton of draft capital.  4 1st and 2nd round draft picks will add a ton of young/cheap talent to this roster.

Obviously their WR core sucks, the worst in the league as we currently sit but they have time to address it.  I fully expect 2 of their top 4 four picks to go to WR (in a very talent WR draft class) with them also looking to bolster the DL early as well.  In addition I think they'll bring in at least one solid veteran WR, hopefully more. I think things are looking very good for the Packers next year.

There will be some growing pains especially early in the season but if Gutey and the front office doesn't screw it up they will field a solid offense and a very good defense.  Plus they can only improve their special teams and barring a Rodgers injury will be in the upper tier NFC teams yet again next year.  I'm not saying they cruise through the regular season again but I can see them winning 10/11 games.  The fact they got 2 good draft picks for what ultimately is going to be a burdensome contract is amazing to me.  I'm good with all of this and wish Davante well.
Agree with all of that.. Most of the free agents are slot guys. I envision them using the money to sign Douglas, MVS and Tonyan and extend Jaire (midway through the season if he doesn't have any lingering issues from the injury). 

I like Landry, he's played less and less in the slot in Cleveland, but he won't be cheap. I'm not interested in Julio at all. Fuller on a 1 year trial is intriguing. Maybe Sanders on the veteran minimum. 

I'm seeing a lot of LOL Green Bay, but Aaron is the best thrower of the football I have seen since Marino. 

He won two MVPs with one WR I think is any good. 

I think adding a rookie or two, and a Sammy Watkins, DeSean Jackson, AJ Green, and they will be fine 

If there ever was a team who should NOT pay for the #1 WR in the league, it's the team with Aaron Rodgers. 

Robert Woods trade to Tennessee for a 2023 6th rounder. Coming off knee surgery he may not have been a good fit for GB who needs help right away.

Packers bring back Robert Tonyan and Rasul Douglas

Now resign MVS and pick a couple of WRs in the 1st

Some people are funny, my co-worker blaming GB management for not trading for Woods at this price, I told him NFC vs AFC, no way Rams trade him to GB for 6th, he calls me "crazy" (which is totally ok with me LOL)

Some people are funny, my co-worker blaming GB management for not trading for Woods at this price, I told him NFC vs AFC, no way Rams trade him to GB for 6th, he calls me "crazy" (which is totally ok with me LOL)
I would have loved GB able to get him for a 6th. But agreed, Rams don't trade him to GB for a 6th or a 5th or a 4th . . .

Users who are viewing this thread