What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

Two players on offense played with heart:

Aaron Jones

Davante Adams

And I have nothing negative to say about the D, they played lights out.

I’ll write more later but goodbye Aaron Rodgers - you looked like you could care less this game. Hope he doesn’t play another down for this team. 
I still hope he is back.  But he and LaFleur sucked tonight.

Two players on offense played with heart:

Aaron Jones

Davante Adams

And I have nothing negative to say about the D, they played lights out.

I’ll write more later but goodbye Aaron Rodgers - you looked like you could care less this game. Hope he doesn’t play another down for this team. 
He looked like he could care less?  So he cared some?

Packer fans turning on Rodgers is surprising. I'd blame the special teams and the mgt for not getting a big time WR to complement Adams. Instead they have Jordan Love to look forward to in the coming years.

Also the way Jimmy G. was lobbing up ducks the GB D should have had more turnovers.

Sometimes the team isn't going to score a boatload of points and you have to find other ways to win. 

I do not want him back - let the rebuild begin.

As a Lions fan I don`t want Rodgers back. 

For the first time in decades GB will have a below average QB.  

Who is #46?    It was his fault the punt was blocked.  Guy got pushed right back into the punter.

I do not want him back - let the rebuild begin.

That is crazy talk.  You don't want arguably the best QB in the league back?  

Be careful what you wish for.  Since Manning retired, the Broncos haven't been back to the playoffs (six years and counting).  Great QBs don't grow on trees.  When you have one, as a fan you want him around for as long as possible. 

Yeah, at that point just grab something and pull him to the ground, half-the-distance penalty is better than a block.

i was rooting for GB.   i wish after Jones caught that pass he would have just keep going hard in a straight line.  He juked right back into the defender and probably cost himself 10 yards.

Be careful what you wish for.  Since Manning retired, the Broncos haven't been back to the playoffs (six years and counting).  Great QBs don't grow on trees.  When you have one, as a fan you want him around for as long as possible. 
I am aware he is the greatest passer of all time. We can’t win in the playoffs with the current roster construction although Aaron the GM has made some great suggestions like bringing back Randall Cobb. Davonte is a free agent and we can’t afford to sign him to the contract he will command. This offense is Aaron to Davonte and Aaron Jones. There are not other significant threats on O and for that I blame Gute and Lafleur.

Rodgers is under contract and I hope that a team would be willing to give up at least a first (I think Stafford is a good guide).

This game seemed like a replay of the first NE/Buff matchup this season.

Horrible weather in a night game that severely hampered a high caliber passing team and benefitted the other team that had a good running game and a strong defense. 

Ghost Rider said:

We don't need the Greatest Regular Season QB in history.  We need a QB that is great in both the regular season AND the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Da Guru said:
Cheese and Crackers said:
He's the freakin' long snapper 🤦‍♂️

Felt bad for him..got pushed back like a blocking sled.

This seemed like a problem with the blocking scheme. The long snapper should never have a 1v1 blocking assignment. He was completely outmatched, barely a speed bump. 

Aren't the Lackers like 45 mil over the '22 cap?  Might as well break it up and rebuild.  This team isn't winning any SBs.  Rodgers isn't going to pull a Brady and stay for less so they can keep this team going either.  Might as well trade/cut him.  Let the Smiths go.  Try some tag & trade for Adams, if that's a thing anymore.  Love ya man, but you're just not the same so bye bye Bakhtiari too.  Suck bad so you can get an early pick for a QB.  

Too bad the Packers didn't have Eli Manning as a backup.  Let Rodgers play the regular season.  Come playoff time Eli goes up to Rodgers, says "smell my finger", steals his helmets, takes the field and wills the Packers to victory! 

Packer fans turning on Rodgers is surprising. I'd blame the special teams and the mgt for not getting a big time WR to complement Adams. Instead they have Jordan Love to look forward to in the coming years.

Also the way Jimmy G. was lobbing up ducks the GB D should have had more turnovers.

Sometimes the team isn't going to score a boatload of points and you have to find other ways to win. 
He is the MVP...its not turning on him...its just the fact that he wasn't good enough.  Lazard open plenty of times...they have talent across the OL and at WR and RB.  Its not some team lacking WR talent.

10 points is not good enough...not for a guy with Rodgers talent and the probable MVP.  Its not all on him and I will get to that...but he takes a large part of the blame here.

That freaking game was maddening for so many reasons.  But the top 2...are the 2 that have been touted as the MVP and possible coach of the year.  

As I said above...Rodgers is supposed to be the MVP...this great talent...and he is.  But playoff time and you manage 10 points...don't see pressure coming, don't escape like he usually does.  Just not good enough.  And after the fumble by Lewis and drop by Deguara...it was tunnel vision for Davante and Jones.  That last play they had they just chuck it up in double coverage to Adams?  Awful.  Just awful.

Which goes into LaFleur.  His game plan...great to start the game.  How a team comes out and just goes right down the field and scores.  Gets the ball back and is moving again when Lewis fumbles...then just turtles up.    Yosh Njiman played well at year at LT.  Once Kelly was getting abused at RT...its time to move Billy Turner to RT where he belongs and bring Njiman in...to keep leaving Kelly out there was ridiculous.   

Special teams...worst I have ever seen...and it was like this all year.  That no changes were made again falls on the head coach.  Inexcusable to lose a game based on punt blocks and FG blocks.

Defensively...really good effort...though, my criticism is why Zdarius was out there even as much as he was.  He got beat on several runs.  After that first sack he had...he was non-existent.  And I wonder how much having he and Mercilus and Alexander active (and playing limited snaps) takes away from some of the special teams units with guys who aren't usually playing out there.

Going forward...Im not in the get rid of Rodgers camp.  Im in the figure out his deal and if you can work Adams in with him.  Both Smiths on D are gone and a few other contracts gone that will help.  I think they can work it out to run most of this team back for another 2 years or so.  THen rebuild.  Im in the run it back as long as you can with 12...til the wheels fall off like the Steelers with Ben.

I want Rodgers back but he sucked on Saturday.  But he was far from the only one but as a MVP candidate he needs to do better.  Here's my list in order...

ST - Nothing to be said here other than it's been a problem for years.  While many fans are calling for a ST Coaching Change that isn't going to make a difference until they put more emphasis on ST as an organization.  They've been a bottom tier until for at least the past 10 years and that needs to change

Rodgers - Come on man.  Highest paid player on the team MVP playing against the team that snubbed you and this is how you play?  I definitely want him back next year but his last couple of playoff performances leave alot to be desired

Lafleur - Nice adjustments.  First 2 drives where fantastic until the fumble then nothing.  Once SF started shadowing Adams with a safety the offense had a deer in the headlights look.  Why not some short passes to Cobb?  Jones needed more touches in the 2nd half.  Design a pass play or 2 for Lazard.  He's looking more and more like the 2nd coming of Marty Schoettenheimer   And what was that offensive line reshuffling?  Unit was playing great no need to shuffle things around to get Turner in there at LT where he's out of position there.  

Gutey - I know I know he's done some great things and made some amazing pick ups this year.  He's a great GM but he's made some mistakes.  Their WR/TE core is very pedestrian after Adams.  Wish they'd have gone all in to sign Beckham but to me the bigger issue is the Jordan Love pick.  I hated the Love pick then and I hate it even more now.  Another weapon like a Tee Higgins for these past couple of playoff runs may have been the difference.  They drafted Rodgers replacement a year too early.  I'd much rather deal with some very crappy seasons after Rodgers is gone knowing they went all in his last couple of seasons, they didn't.  I realize that's the Packers philosophy always do enough to be very good but seldom make the move that makes them great.   

Frustrating end to the season for sure.  Very pleased with how the defense played and anxious to see how the off season plays out.

Who knows what Rodgers will do.  With the liklihood that Brady is done...seems the best/clearest path to the playoffs is to stay in the NFC and likely with the Packers given the division (and two teams with new coaches).  Similar with Wilson in Seattle...probably best for him to stay in the NFC (though, maybe not the West for him).

AFC QB wise is much more loaded with young talent at the moment (Herbert, Burrow, Mahomes, Allen).  And going to Denver...being in that division with Mahomes and Herbert...while fun from a watching football standpoint...probably the toughest way to finish a career thinking you will get to the playoffs every year in that division...but maybe he wants that challenge.

Now...if he does leave...you let Davante go...whether that is tag and trade or whatever.  And if that happens...IMO, you find the best offer you can for David Bahktiari as well.  Love the guy....but with the contracts that will be coming 8up in the next few years...and the liklihood that next year with Love will be bad...you have to set up for the next run.  You have Yosh Njiman who is definitely serviceable.  You set up to keep Jaire, Gary, and Elgton Jenkins.  You see what Love can do for a year...and you get as many draft picks as possible for Rodgers, Davante (if you tag and trade) and DBak.   Then you make a move not in this draft, but the next for a young QB.  You will have plenty of draft capital (as well as  a better draft pick in 2023 likely with a season of Love at QB).

After the Rodgers/Adams situation is resolved (I expect both to be gone) I think the priority is long term deals for De'Vondre Campbell and Jaire, MVS and probably Douglas. It seems a certainty Molsen will take over for Crosby. Both Smiths likely gone. They will probably bring in a vet QB. I’m a hopeless optimist, expect them to remain in the playoff mix in a weak division. 

CletiusMaximus said:
After the Rodgers/Adams situation is resolved (I expect both to be gone) I think the priority is long term deals for De'Vondre Campbell and Jaire, MVS and probably Douglas. It seems a certainty Molsen will take over for Crosby. Both Smiths likely gone. They will probably bring in a vet QB. I’m a hopeless optimist, expect them to remain in the playoff mix in a weak division. 
I guess I'm a bit more optimistic than you. I see both Rodgers and Adams back. Rodgers on a reworked deal and Adams they'll tag and work out a long term deal. Crosby will be gone though. Both Smith's will be gone. Cobb, Amos, Tonyon will be gone. Russ Ball will earn his salary this off season.

Looks like restructures so far for Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, David Bahktiari...to push some money around and saved quite a bit of space doing so.

Now they announce they will be going to London.  That is cool and all...but man, first 2 years of the extra game and the GB economy doesn't get to profit from an extra home game.  Last year going to KC...this time around losing that extra home game for a London game.  

One thing they mentioned on the radio is they thought it would be cooler if the NFL expanded to Germany soon enough to get the Packers to be the first game in Germany.  Talk about a party...put it around Octoberfest there...Germans, Wisconsin folk...beer, and the Packers.  Would have been pretty damn cool.

Rodgers back but strangely the contract has not dropped yet as official.

Adams tagged and not happy...that was never the full on solution to him.

Preston Smith Extended to lower his cap hit significantly.

Zadarius Smith released today...apparently offered to let him stay and void some years and save some money but that didn't work out.  Will save a big time number letting him go.  With Gary coming on and keeping Preston, they could not keep him at that number with the way things went last offseason and season.

And then Billy Turner released...this one surprised some it seems.  He was good last year at RT.  Its a mistake to play him at LT though.  Not sure they just couldn't work out a restructure or what with him.  This one actually makes them have to figure some things out up front.  Can Yosh Nijman play RT?  If so, why didn't he when Dennis Kelly was getting abused against SF?  Will Elgton Jenkins be ready and move to RT with Runyan taking over LG?  A lot to be determined there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devondre Campbell is back...5 years 50 million.  Not a terrible deal it seems.  Guy was pretty key in that defense at times...at a position they have not had that type of playmaker in a while.

Christian Kirk 

4 yr/$84Million 

Read that over and over because DeVante Adams sure is...he's gotta be worth $30m a season now. 

-Adams will get paid or force his way out of Green Bay, this is going to get pretty ugly if things don't change. 

Rodgers gets $50M,  Kirk $21M per year...somewhere in the middle. 

3 yrs/$100M, that's Adams market right now if he hits free agency and it could be even higher. No way he will step foot on the field for the franchise tag, don't blame him one bit. 

And you can send all MoP hate mail to Christian Kirk, care of the Jax Jags

Cheers! 

Devondre Campbell is back...5 years 50 million.  Not a terrible deal it seems.  Guy was pretty key in that defense at times...at a position they have not had that type of playmaker in a while.

I guess we wait for the breakdown, but this seems like an absolute steal. For me, the most important FA for the Packers (together with extending Jaire) this offseason after #12.

Christian Kirk 

4 yr/$84Million 

Read that over and over because DeVante Adams sure is...he's gotta be worth $30m a season now. 

-Adams will get paid or force his way out of Green Bay, this is going to get pretty ugly if things don't change. 

Rodgers gets $50M,  Kirk $21M per year...somewhere in the middle. 

3 yrs/$100M, that's Adams market right now if he hits free agency and it could be even higher. No way he will step foot on the field for the franchise tag, don't blame him one bit. 

And you can send all MoP hate mail to Christian Kirk, care of the Jax Jags

Cheers! 

These are made up numbers, but still probably a nice contract for Kirk - its probably more like 2 years at $17/18m.  Agree it probably costs the Packers in comparison for not getting Adams done sooner, but who knows - maybe they really do just want the one tag year for him.

I guess we wait for the breakdown, but this seems like an absolute steal. For me, the most important FA for the Packers (together with extending Jaire) this offseason after #12.
I will write my thoughts on the horrible Rodgers decision later, but obviously packers are looking to extend the championship window for a year or two. And in that context Campbell absolutely needed to be re-signed. Heart and soul of that improved defense. Since we are already in the cap dumpster after the Rodgers era, it doesn’t matter how much it cost to re-sign him.

Very happy he is back to lead the defense.

Now what? Green Bay has to be in the market for a veteran high end WR, right? As is even if we called Lazard signed this is by far the worst group of WR's and TE's in the league.

D.Adams great player, one of the best if not the best WR in the NFL, but this is a smart and great move by the Packers, draft a young cheap WR and bring a veteran, combine they can provide Adams production. I like this move for Packers and Adams get $$$..win-win 

Now what? Green Bay has to be in the market for a veteran high end WR, right? As is even if we called Lazard signed this is by far the worst group of WR's and TE's in the league.
At least one if not two second tier guys plus a high draft pick used

At least one if not two second tier guys plus a high draft pick used
Maybe but really makes me wonder if Green Bay has bigger plans in mind? It's just that Rodgers knew this was going to happen and he still decided to return to GB instead of say going to Denver and it just makes me think they got something more major up their sleeve.

As good as Adams is, Rodgers was a stud QB long before Adams arrived in GB, and I suspect the Packers, between draft picks and a FA signing or two, will put together a good enough group where Rodgers will be just fine.  

As good as Adams is, Rodgers was a stud QB long before Adams arrived in GB, and I suspect the Packers, between draft picks and a FA signing or two, will put together a good enough group where Rodgers will be just fine.  
Agreed, you can replace Adams productions but you can not get Rodgers via trade or in the draft. 

Obviously not to replace Davante…but does it make sense for them to go after Cordarrelle Patterson?  Kind of multi functional and good special teamer?

Maybe but really makes me wonder if Green Bay has bigger plans in mind? It's just that Rodgers knew this was going to happen and he still decided to return to GB instead of say going to Denver and it just makes me think they got something more major up their sleeve.
Maybe. But seems they thought they could  tag him and when he balked strong at that, the relationship went downhill fast

Users who are viewing this thread