What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greenbay RB position (1 Viewer)

georg013

Footballguy
I am convinced that Greenbay has ZERO desire to effectively run the ball. They are a pass first, second, third, and fourth team... unless of course Rodgers is scrambling. Don't waste your time acquiring any back on the team including Lacy. They are content chucking it up 60 times a game and pretending they are looking for balance. Glad they lost today and hope McCarthy gets fired soon. I'm tired of Aaron Rodgers as well and hope he is forced to hand off more under his next coordinator. 

They were doing OK against the Bears with Montgomery. It's the Bears but still, they had pretty much no options today. The guy was able to a Theo Riddick impression effectively enough. He wasn't able to get in the redzone though so it's to be seen if his running ability can keep teams honest down there.

They were doing OK against the Bears with Montgomery. It's the Bears but still, they had pretty much no options today. The guy was able to a Theo Riddick impression effectively enough. He wasn't able to get in the redzone though so it's to be seen if his running ability can keep teams honest down there.
The bears are a fake football team

The fact they had Adams catching passes in similar fashion to Monty leads me to believe that his role in the backfield is solidified in GBs offense.

Videos of him in pre game warm ups were of him running out of the backfield as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that it will never happen...

But Ingram or Ryan Mathews in Green Bay would each represent significant upgrades both for the Pack and for fantasy owners across the nation.  Both are being underused and seem to be undervalued by their current teams, and in my opinion would represent upgrades even to Fat Eddie and Starks.

lose 32 to 33 after giving up 4th quarter lead. Rodgers has 300 yards (60 on the ground) and 4 tds and you think the reason they lost is the lack of a run game? Is this a joke post that im not getting?

lose 32 to 33 after giving up 4th quarter lead. Rodgers has 300 yards (60 on the ground) and 4 tds and you think the reason they lost is the lack of a run game? Is this a joke post that im not getting?
I dont know if a running game would have mattered in this particular game or not, but I do know that winter is coming and they could do better than having KC's 4th string RB and a practice squad guy sharing carries with a couple of WRs down the stretch in the cold weather.  I doubt they will make a big move, and as a fan of a horrific franchise I would not criticize such an awesome one for any more or non-move...but from the couch it seems like a good idea to get a competent RB into the mix before that deadline hits.

I am convinced that Greenbay has ZERO desire to effectively run the ball. They are a pass first, second, third, and fourth team... unless of course Rodgers is scrambling. Don't waste your time acquiring any back on the team including Lacy. They are content chucking it up 60 times a game and pretending they are looking for balance. Glad they lost today and hope McCarthy gets fired soon. I'm tired of Aaron Rodgers as well and hope he is forced to hand off more under his next coordinator. 
The problem is McCarthy keeps trying to run the ball when he should just abandon it completely, Packers would have won today.  Consistently wasting downs that are needed to keep advancing the ball.

However, if he keeps insisting on trying to run I hope they trade for Ingram.

If you own any GB running back I think the one to own is James Starks.  Davis and Jackson are not worth holding onto and it sure looks like Starks can walk into a full time role as soon as he is healthy. Yes, it's weeks away still but he has more of a chance to help your team down the road than the current group.

James Starks is clearly the rb to own here...Converted wr's and practice squad players are not the answer...In my opinion, Starks will handle the vast majority of touches and goal line duties once he is healthy. Did I mention he started practicing today? Run don't walk to pick up James Starks.

James Starks is clearly the rb to own here...Converted wr's and practice squad players are not the answer...In my opinion, Starks will handle the vast majority of touches and goal line duties once he is healthy. Did I mention he started practicing today? Run don't walk to pick up James Starks.
While converted WRs and practice squad players are not the answer, not sure Starks is either.  He averaged 3.8 YPC over his last 3 seasons, after averaging 4.5 his first 4 seasons.  He hasn't been a good RB for a while. 

While converted WRs and practice squad players are not the answer, not sure Starks is either.  He averaged 3.8 YPC over his last 3 seasons, after averaging 4.5 his first 4 seasons.  He hasn't been a good RB for a while. 
It's rather surprising that they haven't made a trade here (other than Davis).  I'd think Crowell or duke could be had, as could Powell.  Even Denard Robinson seems like an upgrade. 

GB would love to run the ball. If they had a 20+ carry a game bruiser they'd use the run to set up the entire offense. 

its not a matter of desire, it's  matter of personnel. They just lack a 20+'carry RB. 

So yeah -

disagree that they have no desire to run it. They got lemons, they're makin lemonade. 

I agree that he is not a great rb, but for fantasy purposes half the battle is getting the opportunity and I think Starks will have the chance to take the job and run with it. Think about it, what are their other options? He knows the offense and apparently they like him. Just look at the contract they gave him.

I agree that he is not a great rb, but for fantasy purposes half the battle is getting the opportunity and I think Starks will have the chance to take the job and run with it. Think about it, what are their other options? He knows the offense and apparently they like him. Just look at the contract they gave him.
& the other half is being able to take advantage of an opportunity.  Based on what he has shown for the last 2.5-3 years, I have my doubts he's able to do so.

& the other half is being able to take advantage of an opportunity.  Based on what he has shown for the last 2.5-3 years, I have my doubts he's able to do so.
Agree - and IIRC he looked pretty bad this year prior to the injury. 

It probably will be Starks, but I'd keep expectations low.  

Montgomery has carved out a significant niche and I think if anything it'll be RBBC and Starks opportunity will be limited. 

Ripkowski didn"t look bad in limited usage
I thought he looked ok as well. You'd seem to have a legit blitz protector with him in there as well, so if you're in 4 wide or 3 WR 1 TE he could get some nice running lanes if he looks adequate like he did last week. I'm just assuming he's a decent pass protector because he's a FB, but protecting Rodgers has to be priority 1. Ripkowski potentially gives them a little flexibility there if he runs like the other day.

Packers added Brandon Burks to their practice squad today. He led the team in rushing in the preseason. Don't think it's anything more than depth at this point.

They should sign Marcel Reece. I'm baffled how he's still available with situations like this out there.

In my one league I need a spot starter at RB due to Blount on bye and Coleman injured. I'm really tempted to pick up Ripkowski this week at home vs IND, not sure if I have the balls to do it though.

With Starks practicing this week, is it possible that he could play this week?

Starks looked DOA when he was heathy.

IMO looks like he has hit the proverbial 30yr old RB wall.

But worth a shot as a waiver pick up I guess.

Starks may be eased in but I have been saying for the past couple of weeks he most likely gets first crack at most of the rushing attempts.  I'm not worried about him hitting a 30 year old wall.  He hasn't had a ton of usage.  His performance has been up and down over the years so in the next couple of weeks we should be able to start seeing if Green Bay is getting the good Starks or the meh one.

I'm one of the only ones touting Ripkowski this week... he's the guy to watch IMO. If you want to pick him up just in case he goes off, now's the time to do it. If he has a great week you're looking at actually spending FAAB for him. Ripkowski is a Mike Alstott player who looks great running the ball. Way better than Starks. Starks is way past his prime and is JAG. I honestly view the GB RB position as a rotation of Starks getting the first go, but failing like he has done all season, and then GB turning to Ripkowski to run the ball and Montgomery to be that change of pace/passing guy. 

Starks is worth a roster spot if you have a deep bench but I really see Ripkowski as the guy to keep your eye on... 

Disagree 100% with this statement

I'm one of the only ones touting Ripkowski this week... he's the guy to watch IMO. If you want to pick him up just in case he goes off, now's the time to do it. If he has a great week you're looking at actually spending FAAB for him. Ripkowski is a Mike Alstott player who looks great running the ball. Way better than Starks. Starks is way past his prime and is JAG. I honestly view the GB RB position as a rotation of Starks getting the first go, but failing like he has done all season, and then GB turning to Ripkowski to run the ball and Montgomery to be that change of pace/passing guy. 

Starks is worth a roster spot if you have a deep bench but I really see Ripkowski as the guy to keep your eye on... 
Starks and ripkowski are both jags.  it's who has the trust of the coaches and has actually accomplished something in the nfl.  I will side with starks until I see different

Starks had 191 touches, 953 YFS, 5 TD's, and a 4.1 YPC just last year.  It was arguably his best season, certainly his most productive as far as fantasy goes.  Granted, he's looked bad this year, but he was pretty solid last year.

Someone is going to emerge from this GB mess, McCarthy has already made mention that they have to be able to run the ball, and that Rodgers cannot lead them in rushing.  Starks and Ripkowski are worth rostering in deep leagues right now, just to see what happens.  I'm not saying a RB1/2 is going to be born out of this mess, but I would bet that a RB other than Montgomery is going to have fantasy relevance in GB before this season is over.    

Starks and ripkowski are both jags.  it's who has the trust of the coaches and has actually accomplished something in the nfl.  I will side with starks until I see different
I know you've watched Packer games and to say Ripkowski is JAG is kind of ridiculous... Starks is a JAG, yes. Ripkowski isn't going to win rushing titles but he is a really valuable role player. He is a much better version of Kuhn. Kuhn carried the load for a few games quite successfully in his career. Ripkowski looks great. Again, not going to win anyone fantasy championships, but he is the most effective running back on that roster who started the season as a running back. 

Starks had 191 touches, 953 YFS, 5 TD's, and a 4.1 YPC just last year.  It was arguably his best season, certainly his most productive as far as fantasy goes.  Granted, he's looked bad this year, but he was pretty solid last year.

Someone is going to emerge from this GB mess, McCarthy has already made mention that they have to be able to run the ball, and that Rodgers cannot lead them in rushing.  Starks and Ripkowski are worth rostering in deep leagues right now, just to see what happens.  I'm not saying a RB1/2 is going to be born out of this mess, but I would bet that a RB other than Montgomery is going to have fantasy relevance in GB before this season is over.    
Starks is 4 short months from being on the wrong side of 30. He is much past his prime. Starks best seasons were pre-Lacy. He has been rather pedestrian since. 

Regarding the bolded:
1) does someone have to emerge? Maybe not. GB does not use RBs very well historically and definitely not this season so why would they change now
2) I think someone already has emerged... he wears number 88

You guys are forgetting coaching ignorance when it comes to james starks. If hes healthy im betting he gets the lions shares of snaps at rb.

I feel like Aaron Rodgers might have a bit of a say in the matter, and he seems to love Montgomery. I don't think he's going to be seeing short yardage situations like the last game he played, but it really wouldn't make sense to reduce his touches either.

What's going to matter the most in the RB situation is the game script. With even more injuries to the GB secondary, GB is going to be throwing a lot. That benefits Montgomery

I'm using the term emerge really loosely here.  I just mean that someone, a true RB, will eventually become the "lead" back.  I have no illusions that this will involve a high volume workload, just that one of these backs should eventually emerge as the 10 - 15 carry guy who might get a little goal line work.  I don't see a top 24 RB for fantasy purposes coming out of this, but I also don't think they will continue to feature Montgomery as the primary ball carrier.  I think the Riddick/Zenner comparison is probably fair, Montgomery getting the most snaps, and a number of catches, with either Starks or Rip seeing 10 - 15 carries and a 1 in 3 shot at a TD any given week?

This isn't a strong stance or feeling, I just suspect based on the coach speak, and just how football works, that GB wants to have someone become the actual running back.

I've picked up Ripkowski in every one of my five leagues, as I liked what I saw last week and the GB backfield is so wide open right now. He is more of a FB type so it wouldn't shock me if last week was his career high in carries, but at this point it's a "what the heck" type move.

In one dynasty where I have David Johnson and Lamar Miller on a bye and Spencer Ware likely out I actually have him in my line-up right now as my choices are extremely limited. Hopefully he scores a TD at least.

Let's not forget that Cobb is still iffy so Montgomery may get more work in a WR role leaving a larger role for Starks too if healthy.  Montgomery can slide into a RB role or WR role as needed.  I just don't see Montgomery getting much if any between the tackles type of carries with a healthy Starks.

So would you favor picking up Starks and cutting someone like Henry for the rest of the year? Talent wise it is clearly Henry - but Starks seems to be in the better situation to get a volume of carries..

Is ty even practicing??
[SIZE=10.5pt]Latest News (Rotoworld)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ty Montgomery (illness) practiced again on Thursday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Beat writer Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal said Montgomery practiced "extensively," so perhaps he'll be listed as a full participant. All signs point to Montgomery returning Sunday against the Colts. Look for him to be the Packers' lead ball carrier. Nov 3 - 1:46 PM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Source:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Tom Silverstein on Twitter [/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread