What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Griffin to miss 2013? - Probably not (1 Viewer)

So RG3 dynasty? Is his value top 20 at this point?
If we don't know the injury, I don't see how we can speculate. But career-threatening injuries are pretty rare, everyone should hold off on wild opinions till we hear.Some pretty wild speculation here. Griffin is going to have to change his game? Become a pocket passer? Come on. Griffin got hurt running around. QBs get hurt in the pocket, on the move, and running around. Griffin will continue to run around, then will get smarter about running around, like ALL DANG RUNNING quarterbacks. For pete's sake, they all run around and take chances when they are young. Even the ones that aren't 'running' QBs coming out of college. Vick broke his freaking leg, still running around. Tap the brakes.
No offense but Vick isnt the beacon of intelligence here. Randall was a runner got hurt and became a pocket passer. I see RG doing the same thing.

Daniel Snyder needs to spend more money making sure his field is adequate.
Im not sure what more couldve been done
Clearly, the field was in poor condition. Now, if they knowingly left it that way for some kind of advantage (ala Patriots in years past), I say it blew up in their faces.It is hard to believe that the Redskins did everything they could have to ensure optimal field conditions.Announcers basically said that it was dirt spray painted green and several players had issues with their footing. Hauschka rolled his ankle...Hope Griffin is OK. He's a dynamic player.

I think that is a bunch of bull. Why did so many want to talk with Chip Kelly for their opening at HC? Why has "the spread" or "pistol" been talked about so much in the NFL? I think the read-option QB's are a nightmare for defenses....especially when they carry out their fakes as well as RG3 does. Now maybe RG3 should limit it to either handing off or passing more often instead of running, but that offense looks very effective to me. I am not much of a x's and o's guy though so I could be way off.
I agree. ACL/PCL tears are freak injuries. It's not as though the hits added up and lent to him missing time. Granted, even before this RG3 was at risk due to him being stubborn, and smaller than guys like Cam/Tebow. But this injury wasn't because of his running style.
Sorry dude but it most certainly was. Go back to when he initially sprained it a few weeks ago and tell us what he was doing when it got hurt.
I got side-swiped while driving my car years ago. Does that mean it was due to my driving style?
For your sake I am going to refuse to believe you are this ignorant
I also won the lottery a few years back. It was due to my number-picking 'style'. Those who get struck by lightning are clearly injured due to their electricity-conducting 'style'.
I never play the lottery, so I never have a chance to win. I never go out during thunderstorms, so I will never get struck by lightning.
Glad RG3 doesn't share the same philosophy. Otherwise, he'd have a desk-job somewhere instead of being a superstar :thumbup:
Thanks for making my point for me.

An entire fan bases mental well being hangs in the balance here. Do you think it's funny?I'm only partially joking. But this seems kind of inappropriate when you're talking about a dude's career trajectory changing, possibly. Come on.
I seriously doubt his career is in jeopardy.The timing of the injury, if it's true, put next season at risk, though.
His career is not in jeopardy but his entire style of play is unfortunately. Stinks for the kid but his style wasnt built for the NFL.
Wasn't the PCL/ACL combo the "end" of Daunte Culpepper as a legit QB?
Culpepper and McGahee tore their ACL, MCL and PCL.
I am comparing him and Culpepper because they are both quarterbacks, but Culpepper was never the same when he came back. He wasn't even a starting quarterback, back up at best.

After the Ravens game, he had an MRI and results were leaked within hours. Why the wait until tomorrow?

Yes, it's top 4
Top 20 yes, top 4 not even close.
Not even close? So 15? 16? 18?
Off the top of my head maybe, I am actually rethinking top 20. He isn't even a top 4 dynasty quarterback IF he tore his ACL and PCL. I would rather have Newton, Luck, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan over him for sure and then it is a toss up between Wilson, Stafford, and RG3. If it is just an ACL I would still take Newton, Rodgers, Luck, and probably Ryan over him.

If his old ACL injury is interfering, then we can be pretty sure his ACL is torn. Or they wouldn't need Andrews' second opinion. But we were ready for that. At this point, that's the best case scenario. The PCL is what worries me.

If his old ACL injury is interfering, then we can be pretty sure his ACL is torn. Or they wouldn't need Andrews' second opinion. But we were ready for that. At this point, that's the best case scenario. The PCL is what worries me.
Why does the PCL worry you so much? Of the four knee ligaments it's arguably the last one to worry about. I get the ACL combined with any other one is not a good thing, but my understanding is words like 'other damage' and discussing the MCL are much worse than PCL or UCL - two ligaments that if torn just require rest to rehab.

If RG3 is out for the year he'll have a new coach by the time he gets back.

I don't see him changing his game at all. These running guys never do (Steve Young the one exception). Cunningham played one year where he just chucked it to Moss when he couldn't run anymore.

They run until they can't anymore, then they are out of the league soon. Guys spend 10 years learning to pass from the pocket and they never develop the skills because they are so gifted that they can outrun people so easily.

It's no death sentence for him but it's bad news if true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the PCL worry you so much? Of the four knee ligaments it's arguably the last one to worry about. I get the ACL combined with any other one is not a good thing, but my understanding is words like 'other damage' and discussing the MCL are much worse than PCL or UCL - two ligaments that if torn just require rest to rehab.
The ACL and PCL combo are one of the worst injuries you can have as an athlete, other than Achilles. The ACL alone would be much better, comparatively.

If RG3 is out for the year he'll have a new coach by the time he gets back.

I don't see him changing his game at all. These running guys never do (Steve Young the one exception). Cunningham played one year where he just chucked it to Moss when he couldn't run anymore.

They run until they can't anymore, then they are out of the league soon. Guys spend 10 years learning to pass from the pocket and they never develop the skills because they are so gifted that they can outrun people so easily.

It's no death sentence for him but it's bad news if true.
From what I've seen, I think Griffin can be a good pocket passer. However, the team around him would need to change. He doesn't have a good pass blocking OL. When he's had time to throw, it's been due to play action and his ability to buy time. For him to succeed as a pocket passer, the main things he needs are an improved OL and learn how to move within the pocket rather than how to escape the pocket.

Going to see Andrews tomorrow to review MRI results.
Could be swelling, but I can't see this as a good sign. They see something on the MRI that they don't like...
Well, the good news could be that the people they have reviewing the MRI weren't confident enough to definitively declare it as a torn ACL and torn PCL. Maybe they are referring it to Andrews because they have their doubts.I'm grasping for some positives here.

Could be swelling, but I can't see this as a good sign. They see something on the MRI that they don't like...
Well, the good news could be that the people they have reviewing the MRI weren't confident enough to definitively declare it as a torn ACL and torn PCL. Maybe they are referring it to Andrews because they have their doubts.I'm grasping for some positives here.
I read this as the MRI says to them ACL and PCL, but they're going to Andrews in desperate hopes that the ACL they're seeing might possibly just be the past college injury. This doesn't look good folks.

Shame on skeletor and shame on Snyder for that crap field. They need to outlaw that.Hopefully Griffin gets better quick.
That field did look awful. I wonder if it was partially responsible.
NFL needs to mandate every team plays on field turf. Just force every stadium to be the same. Look what that field has done to players the last two years....what a shame.
No...they really don't.

Second opinions are generally a result of bad news, in my experience. Although, it sounds like he'll need surgery even in a best case scenario at this point, so the trip to Andrews was probably going to happen no matter what and he'd want to do his own MRI with another 24 hours or whatever for swelling to go down.

If there's one thing Twitter is known for, it's super-accurate information.I get all my news from random, anonymous schmucks.
Even though I don't know the sources of these Tweets, homers are saying they are guys that are "in the know". If it's enough to scare them, I'd say it's more than just a random schmuck

If there's one thing Twitter is known for, it's super-accurate information.I get all my news from random, anonymous schmucks.
Even though I don't know the sources of these Tweets, homers are saying they are guys that are "in the know". If it's enough to scare them, I'd say it's more than just a random schmuck
I'm just surprised none of the 100 I follow have mentioned anything outside of the press conference, usually if there's a legit rumor at least a couple of them are on it. They're all mute.

I read this as the MRI says to them ACL and PCL, but they're going to Andrews in desperate hopes that the ACL they're seeing might possibly just be the past college injury. This doesn't look good folks.
That sounds like the most likely scenario if the reports are accurate.

Is it not extremely ironic that this happened in Washington? The place where a few months earlier the "future of a franchise" was benched for the post-season despite the clamoring for him to play by the media and local fanbase?

A few months later, the "future of a franchise" plays on a bad knee when it's obvious to everyone that this team doesn't really have the ability to win a super bowl!

If we don't know the injury, I don't see how we can speculate. But career-threatening injuries are pretty rare, everyone should hold off on wild opinions till we hear.Some pretty wild speculation here. Griffin is going to have to change his game? Become a pocket passer? Come on.

Griffin got hurt running around. QBs get hurt in the pocket, on the move, and running around. Griffin will continue to run around, then will get smarter about running around, like ALL DANG RUNNING quarterbacks. For pete's sake, they all run around and take chances when they are young. Even the ones that aren't 'running' QBs coming out of college. Vick broke his freaking leg, still running around.

Tap the brakes.
No offense but Vick isnt the beacon of intelligence. Randall was a runner got hurt and became a pocket passer. I see RG doing the same thing.
I see RGIII adapting. So becoming more of a pocket passer, yes. But not becoming a pocket passer. Steve Young is the model. I also don't think the injury will make him adjust his game, unless it is truly a devastating injury (which it may very well be). I just think it is a natural progression for a young QB, they run less, make smarter choices when they do run, pick their spots. Chrsitan Ponder and Cam Newton will make the same adjustment. Just a natural progression. Not even sure if we are disagreeing that much.

Anyway, as an NFL fan, I am really hoping for the best. The NFL is better with RGIII in it, kid is a blast to watch.

At the rate players are getting hurt they need to brace their legs stiff and wear those dog attack suits while wearing a full face motorcycle helmet.

The way his leg bent, he would have to be made out of rubber to avoid an ACL or MCL.
Given the timing of the injury it is no big deal if it's MCL...or even multi ligament as long as the ACL is not involved. I agree that it looks like ACL, obviously could be more, but I've seen worse that have not resulted in ACL or patella. Have to wait for the meeting with Dr. Andrews.

FantasySharks

BREAKING!! Redskins QB Robert Griffin III has torn his ACL and PCL according to sources of WRIC-ABC in Richmond. WRIC also reports that he will not be able to play for a minimum of 14-18 months. This is the second time we have seen this reported, but we will try to confirm this story yet again.

FantasySharks

UPDATE- WRIC in Richmond has removed the RG3 injury information from their report. Story not confirmed.

With how many stories have been botched lately, Id hold off on taking anything seriously until we get something official.

Just like Andy got the Cards job and Chip got the Browns job.

If this is true where does this rank in all-time bad coaching decisions?
#1.You trade a TON of pics for this guy to ruin him. Great job Skeletor. What a lack of long term vision by that franchise. They were not going to win the superbowl with that team..... I don't get it.

Didnt read the thread but one of the radio guys in philly said the rumor out of DC is torn ACL and PCL, out 14 months

edit: seen it was posted already but if this is the case, think Shanny gets #### canned?

FantasySharks BREAKING!! Redskins QB Robert Griffin III has torn his ACL and PCL according to sources of WRIC-ABC in Richmond. WRIC also reports that he will not be able to play for a minimum of 14-18 months. This is the second time we have seen this reported, but we will try to confirm this story yet again.FantasySharks UPDATE- WRIC in Richmond has removed the RG3 injury information from their report. Story not confirmed.
Crazy. Weird that there hasn't been confirmation yet.Have to believe that the longer confirmation takes, the worse the news is. Just a guess on my part.

Didnt read the thread but one of the radio guys in philly said the rumor out of DC is torn ACL and PCL, out 14 monthsedit: seen it was posted already but if this is the case, think Shanny gets #### canned?
On a side note do the rams own the Redskins pick next year in round #1? If RGIII is out all year they could be getting a pretty high pick.

Is it not extremely ironic that this happened in Washington? The place where a few months earlier the "future of a franchise" was benched for the post-season despite the clamoring for him to play by the media and local fanbase?A few months later, the "future of a franchise" plays on a bad knee when it's obvious to everyone that this team doesn't really have the ability to win a super bowl!
It pisses me off how irresponsible Shanahan was. He can shift the blame to Griffin all he wants but he kept him in after re-injuring his knee in a game he shouldn't have even played. He's been around long enough to know when a player is injured and not just hurt and should have known better.And get some ####ing FieldTurf.

Didnt read the thread but one of the radio guys in philly said the rumor out of DC is torn ACL and PCL, out 14 monthsedit: seen it was posted already but if this is the case, think Shanny gets #### canned?
On a side note do the rams own the Redskins pick next year in round #1? If RGIII is out all year they could be getting a pretty high pick.
Yes, they have their 2013 and 2014 1sts.

You all do realize that Shanahan gets blasted if he takes him out of the game. Instead it would be 'you need to be fired, you just handed the Seahawks the 1st Redskins post season game in 'x' years' and 'you gave up' among others.

Total no win situation for Skeletor.

If he is truly out for 14 months thats a serious injury. We may have seen the best of RGIII in his rookie year. What a loss for the NFL and fans in general. Losing an entire year of your career is a major blow...especially when you are just learning the game. Especially when your game relies on your wheels. Sad day.

Users who are viewing this thread