What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guilty Pleasure Movies (1 Viewer)

Ok reeling in the OP's intent.

I love:

Showgirls
Staying Alive
Battle Beyond The Stars
The Beastmaster
The Devil Wears Prada
Jaws 3
Excalibur
Dune (1984)
Naked Lunch
For Love of the Game (great one Gally)
Youngbloods
St Elmos Fire
Secret of My Success

Those are some serious guilty pleasures.
This a good list, the last one is the one I wanted to focus on

Secret of My Success, 1987
Michael J. Fox went thru a period where he had a Top 5-10 TV show, Family Ties and then he stars in Back to the Future
That led to movies like Teen Wolf and he also did movies with Joan Jett of all people and the great James Woods in a buddy cop flick that's actually pretty funny.

-The gunfight that breaks out while he phones home, Aunt Vera who can't keep her hands off him, his NYC apartment which is more like a closet, mail room one day and executive the next, this movie breaks every rule and gets away with it.

I was also 13 years old when this movie launched, think that was the right age group
Siskel and Ebert review, Roger pretty much pans the entire thing. I like these old reviews of films

The bedroom hop around and that song that plays over the entire scene as they go from one room to the other, fond memories.

Last edited:
North Shore - man I quote this movie daily

men at work - Keith David kills it in this
Van Helsing - it's awful but Kate Beckinsale :wub:

Kingpin - if it's on then I watch til it's over

No FBG guilty pleasure list would be complete without Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

Without it, we wouldn't have our GB @sho nuff .
I forgot the most obvious one - Flash Gordon! Cheesy as all hell but one of the greatest movies of all time. I will die on this hill!

"Flash! Aaaaa Aaaa, he'll save every one of us!"
Concur. Gordon's alive!?

The Flash theme song also recalls another guilty pleasure: Blades of Glory, which it has its own pretty kick-*** theme song.

Ones I haven't seen listed yet and should qualify;

Death to Smoochy - most people hate this but I consider it firmly in the So Bad, It's Good category. So many stupidly wonderful moments.

Vampire Ecstasy - I discovered this 1970's German exploitation horror on Tubi last year. It's awful but has nice "scenery" and some weirdly compelling moments.

Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me - I saw this before ever seeing the series but it's so weird, almost hypnotic. David Lynch bursting out of network shackles.

The Beastmaster, 1982

IF you're gonna go this deep into the dreck, try Hawk the Slayer (currently available on Tubi). We originally saw this bowser on TV back in the 80's during a D&D game, and were laughing so hard nobody could breathe. Maybe the "best/worst" over the top example of the sword and sorcery genre ever put to film.
But does it have Tanya Roberts?

The Beastmaster, 1982

IF you're gonna go this deep into the dreck, try Hawk the Slayer (currently available on Tubi). We originally saw this bowser on TV back in the 80's during a D&D game, and were laughing so hard nobody could breathe. Maybe the "best/worst" over the top example of the sword and sorcery genre ever put to film.
But does it have Tanya Roberts?
No, unfortunately. But it DOES have a wonderful, clip fed, automatic fire crossbow user competing with an elven longbow user who is Uzi speed capable. That's the sort of thing you really don't see in movies these days...

I forgot the most obvious one - Flash Gordon! Cheesy as all hell but one of the greatest movies of all time. I will die on this hill!

I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie enough times now that I can quote it word for word - especially the Brian Blessed parts.

Basic Instinct, 1992

There are many in this genre but none of them come close to this one with Sharon Stone
Because I have gotten the PG vibe around here including describing pretty ladies, I'll simply say Ms Stone is in all her glory
There is a gathering of cops questioning her that you have to see to believe, it's an eyeful to watch plus the dialogue is outrageous
Wayne Knight from Seinfeld is one of the cops/attorneys questioning her, it's like he's never seen a woman before.

I haven't even mentioned Michael Douglas who is on top of his game during this run of movies he does in the 80s and 90s
Critics were a mixed bag around 50/50 good vs bad.
I always thought the story was fascinating that a killer would write a book about how they are actually going to carry out the murders.
And we learn a. lot about Catherine along the way, she might have murdered many people before we ever meet her.
Douglas anchors the film as the SF cop tracking her every move

There is a lot of stuff in this movie that we can't really discuss in detail but it definitely earns the "R" rating
Also quite a delicious dance club scene with an old school track by Channel X, you just don't hear them in most mainstream films.

Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me - I saw this before ever seeing the series but it's so weird, almost hypnotic. David Lynch bursting out of network shackles.

This is a cinematic masterpiece and should not instill any guilt when watching.
Well since I was disappointed with that movie when it came out, this means I have to watch it again. Which means I have to watch the series again first. Which means a bunch of hours blocked out now to watch all that, hours I would have used to watch something else. My god shuke, how you're making me suffer. ;)

I loved season 1 of Twin Peaks; it was some of the best TV I've seen. Season 2, with the ever-changing episode directors, was humorous but about 20% as deep as season 1. Then came Fire Walk with Me. Later there was season 3 with its expansive weirdness and yeah, I'd like to see that again come to think of it. Now I have to block out more time.

A recent one is Napoleon. Consensus seemed to really dislike it. I thought it was really funny and the battle scenes were outstanding.

Any time I stumble across “for the love of the game”, it never gets turned off.
Anything that is basically narrated by Vin Skully is a winner. Throw in Kelly Preston for good measure.
Finally add in Costner and John C Reilly playing baseball.

No FBG guilty pleasure list would be complete without Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

Without it, we wouldn't have our GB @sho nuff .

Concur. Gordon's alive!?

The Flash theme song also recalls another guilty pleasure: Blades of Glory, which it has its own pretty kick-*** theme song.
The shogun of Harlem!

Any time I stumble across “for the love of the game”, it never gets turned off.
Anything that is basically narrated by Vin Skully is a winner. Throw in Kelly Preston for good measure.
Finally add in Costner and John C Reilly playing baseball.
That's just a good movie

these two lines get me every time:

Vin Scully:
After 19 years in the big leagues, 40 year old Billy Chapel has trudged to the mound for over 4000 innings. But tonight, he's pitching against time, he's pitching against the future, against age, against ending. Tonight, he will make the fateful walk to the loneliest spot in the world, the pitching mound at Yankee Stadium, to push the sun back into the sky and give us one more day of summer.

And

Vin Scully:
The cathedral that is Yankee Stadium belongs to a Chapel.

Two for me.

Family Man - Seems to always remind me to appreciate the things I have.

After the Sunset - One word. Salma. Well, actually, any movie with her is an automatic stop and watch.

Basic Instinct, 1992

There are many in this genre but none of them come close to this one with Sharon Stone
Because I have gotten the PG vibe around here including describing pretty ladies, I'll simply say Ms Stone is in all her glory
There is a gathering of cops questioning her that you have to see to believe, it's an eyeful to watch plus the dialogue is outrageous
Wayne Knight from Seinfeld is one of the cops/attorneys questioning her, it's like he's never seen a woman before.

I haven't even mentioned Michael Douglas who is on top of his game during this run of movies he does in the 80s and 90s
Critics were a mixed bag around 50/50 good vs bad.
I always thought the story was fascinating that a killer would write a book about how they are actually going to carry out the murders.
And we learn a. lot about Catherine along the way, she might have murdered many people before we ever meet her.
Douglas anchors the film as the SF cop tracking her every move

There is a lot of stuff in this movie that we can't really discuss in detail but it definitely earns the "R" rating
Also quite a delicious dance club scene with an old school track by Channel X, you just don't hear them in most mainstream films.
This leads me to Disclosure. Also Douglas but this time paired with Demi Moore. The beginnings of virtual reality...haha

Yea, good point.

I guess for me a guilty pleasure would be more like The Holiday, cuz it's a chick flick which I typically don't watch. It's probably cuz Jack Black is in it though
Yeah this is good.

Cameron Diaz is a nightmare, IMO.

I cannot believe this is the same woman from the Mask.

I guess for me a guilty pleasure would be more like The Holiday, cuz it's a chick flick which I typically don't watch. It's probably cuz Jack Black is in it though.
To me it's a movie that I am embarrassed to publicly say I like. Or a movie that most people would make fun of you for liking.

ETA: The best example I have is The Cutting Edge. I thoroughly enjoy the movie and it's a terrible chick-flickish that I am embarrassed to say I like.

Users who are viewing this thread