What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (1 Viewer)

Atlanta eliminated.  I believe a Minnesota loss tomorrow clinches the playoffs for the Skins.. go Ravens!

Edit - actually, Dallas could still spoil it.. oh well, a Minny loss would still be nice
Redskins are the #6 seed with:A win

OR

A Cowboys and Vikings loss

The Redskins are the #4 seed with:

A win and a Giants loss

the Redskins are the #3 seed with:

A win, a Giants loss, 2 Bears losses.

The #4 seed looks so much better than the #6 seed. Not only does it mean a first round home game but it also means a chance of avoiding Seattle in the second round, which is definitely a good thing with how they are playing recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skins are starting to look like one of the hottest teams in the NFL. Sea and Mia, that's right Mia the winners of 5 striaght maybe the only teams playing better. Though it would be hard to convince anyone that Mia is playing better due to the teams they have faced.

Skins are starting to look like one of the hottest teams in the NFL. Sea and Mia, that's right Mia the winners of 5 striaght maybe the only teams playing better. Though it would be hard to convince anyone that Mia is playing better due to the teams they have faced.
Miami's win at San Diego (everyone's favorite team to suck up to) is more impressive than any win in Washington's current winning streak.Also, in the NFC East, how important is the Giants extra home game looking now?

Miami's win at San Diego (everyone's favorite team to suck up to) is more impressive than any win in Washington's current winning streak.Also, in the NFC East, how important is the Giants extra home game looking now?
How so? Wash just beat Dal and NYG in back to back games. Teams that are 10-5 and 9-6. Mia only beat one team (SD) that is 9-6. Other than SD it's been Oak, Buf, NYJ and Tenn that they have beaten. That doesn't even take into account the fact that Wash looked dominating in both of the games they played vs Dal and NYG, Mia just squeaked by.

How so? Wash just beat Dal and NYG in back to back games. Teams that are 10-5 and 9-6. Mia only beat one team (SD) that is 9-6. Other than SD it's been Oak, Buf, NYJ and Tenn that they have beaten. That doesn't even take into account the fact that Wash looked dominating in both of the games they played vs Dal and NYG, Mia just squeaked by.
All I am saying is Miami winning ON THE ROAD against a San Diego team (that had won five in a row and was considered by most to be a top 5 team) was more impressive than Washington winning at home against Dallas (who had lost two of their last three) and the Giants (who have been a subpar road team).

Skins are starting to look like one of the hottest teams in the NFL.  Sea and Mia, that's right Mia the winners of 5 striaght maybe the only teams playing better.  Though it would be hard to convince anyone that Mia is playing better due to the teams they have faced.
All I am saying is Miami winning ON THE ROAD against a San Diego team (that had won five in a row and was considered by most to be a top 5 team) was more impressive than Washington winning at home against Dallas (who had lost two of their last three) and the Giants (who have been a subpar road team).
Wow, tough evaluation.When the Redskins played the Cowboys, the winner stayed alive for a playoff spot while the loser became a longshot. The Redskins dominated the game. That is impressive.

The Giants are clearly a solid playoff team and the Redskins beat them soundly, even with a backup qb. There is no way to not be impressed with the Redskins 4 game winning streak. They look like solid playoff team that can go beyond the first round.

Also note: if the Redskins win next week, they are 10-2 in conference. They have beaten the Bears, Seattle, and the Giants (split series), beaten 3 division winners (assuming Giants win next week).

was at the game today. best ever crowd I've seen at FedEx with just about everyone standing throughout. Ramsey made a nice read after burning a bunch-o timeouts. Moss is a top 5 NFL receiver.D was lights out toomer on my bench :hot: MFC

I was at the game too. It was a bit loud, wasn't it? :) And you're right ---- people sat down for exactly 0 plays. Seats were only needed for shorter kids to stand on.

The second timeout Ramsey called was wise. Antonio Brown was set out wide right, another WR motioned to him to get moving, he didn't know where to go, Ramsey motioned to him, he started running behind Ramsey and clearly showed he had absolutely no clue where to go. Rather than be penalized, Ramsey call timeout, and yelled at Brown. Brown then came out of the game.

This is the second week in a row that the Redskins have hung 5 TD's on a team ahead of them (at that time) in the division, and beaten them. They've beaten the Bears and Seahawks also. The Giants have a very good offense, but today it was only good between the 20-yard-lines, and settled for FG's or failed on 4th downs when in scoring position. The Redskins stopped them many times when they had to.

As unevenly as the Redskins have played this year, it's possible for them to lose to the Eagles next week. But after the last 4 games it does not appear likely. They're quite focused on what they need to do and have both cut down on their mistakes and raised their overall level of performance. I think they turned a corner today.

Did you see how dirty Portis's uniform was today after the first quarter?

Did you see Shockey yelling at the ref for a pass interference call while Marshall dove and intercepted the ball right at Shockey's knee and ran the ball back while Shockey was looking at the ref, arguing? I laughed my ### off at that play.

man I hope they dont get it this far and CHOKE it vs the friggen Eagles next week. C'mon Joe, keep em focused!

Skins are starting to look like one of the hottest teams in the NFL.  Sea and Mia, that's right Mia the winners of 5 striaght maybe the only teams playing better.  Though it would be hard to convince anyone that Mia is playing better due to the teams they have faced.
Miami's win at San Diego (everyone's favorite team to suck up to) is more impressive than any win in Washington's current winning streak.

Also, in the NFC East, how important is the Giants extra home game looking now?
Especially true due to the drastic difference in the Giants play at home compared to on the road. I realize that the Saints are a bad team now, but remember that they had come off an emotional week 1 win and if they played a home game in week 2, they surely would've had tons of rowdy fans backing them due to their week 1 performance.

I agree with this, but I'd still take the Skins over the Dolphins if they played a neutral site game next week.

was at the game today. best ever crowd I've seen at FedEx with just about everyone standing throughout.

Ramsey made a nice read after burning a bunch-o timeouts.

Moss is a top 5 NFL receiver.

D was lights out

toomer on my bench :hot:

MFC
thats so awesome. I remember last week, someone(might have been Prime) saying that the crowd was as loud as they've ever heard. Man, I wish I could've gone.

I was at the game too. It was a bit loud, wasn't it? :) And you're right ---- people sat down for exactly 0 plays. Seats were only needed for shorter kids to stand on.

The second timeout Ramsey called was wise. Antonio Brown was set out wide right, another WR motioned to him to get moving, he didn't know where to go, Ramsey motioned to him, he started running behind Ramsey and clearly showed he had absolutely no clue where to go. Rather than be penalized, Ramsey call timeout, and yelled at Brown. Brown then came out of the game.

This is the second week in a row that the Redskins have hung 5 TD's on a team ahead of them (at that time) in the division, and beaten them. They've beaten the Bears and Seahawks also. The Giants have a very good offense, but today it was only good between the 20-yard-lines, and settled for FG's or failed on 4th downs when in scoring position. The Redskins stopped them many times when they had to.

As unevenly as the Redskins have played this year, it's possible for them to lose to the Eagles next week. But after the last 4 games it does not appear likely. They're quite focused on what they need to do and have both cut down on their mistakes and raised their overall level of performance. I think they turned a corner today.

Did you see how dirty Portis's uniform was today after the first quarter?

Did you see Shockey yelling at the ref for a pass interference call while Marshall dove and intercepted the ball right at Shockey's knee and ran the ball back while Shockey was looking at the ref, arguing? I laughed my ### off at that play.
The only problem is that all 4 of those games you mention there were at home. I'm confident in my team always, but I have to admit that it'll be tough to win in Seattle or Chicago in the 2nd round. And the first round game isn't going to be easy either, although I would favor them over TB or NYG(I do not want to have to go to Carolina in the first round though).

And the first round game isn't going to be easy either, although I would favor them over TB or NYG(I do not want to have to go to Carolina in the first round though).
Even though the Bucs already beat them and have the better record and the game will be back in Tampa.Don't ever stop homering up, do you?

And the first round game isn't going to be easy either, although I would favor them over TB or NYG(I do not want to have to go to Carolina in the first round though).
Even though the Bucs already beat them and have the better record.Don't ever stop homering up, do you?
Thats my honest opinion. If you notice, I said that I would expect the Skins to lose against 3 team(Chi, Sea, and Car) and only said that I would expect them to beat 2 teams(NYG, TB). Is that really being too much of a homer to say that they'd beat 2 out of 5 teams? :confused: The Skins/TB game was as close as possible. I could whine about the call at the end, but whatever....lets just agree that it was a close game that could've easily gone either way. Well in my opinion, the Skins have improved by leaps and bounds since that game, while the Bucs have slightly improved. Therefore, I would now favor the Skins.

Sorry for my "homerism."

Even though the Bucs already beat them and have the better record.Don't ever stop homering up, do you?
Thats my honest opinion. If you notice, I said that I would expect the Skins to lose against 3 team(Chi, Sea, and Car) and only said that I would expect them to beat 2 teams(NYG, TB). Is that really being too much of a homer to say that they'd beat 2 out of 5 teams? :confused: The Skins/TB game was as close as possible. I could whine about the call at the end, but whatever....lets just agree that it was a close game that could've easily gone either way. Well in my opinion, the Skins have improved by leaps and bounds since that game, while the Bucs have slightly improved. Therefore, I would now favor the Skins.

Sorry for my "homerism."
Well, the Skins wouldn't be favored in that game. And I think the Bucs have done more than 'slightly improve' considering that was their quarterbacks fourth or fifth career start and Caddy is back at full-strength (where he wasn't in that game -- only had 10 carries).

Sorry for my "homerism."
Well, the Skins wouldn't be favored in that game. And I think the Bucs have done more than 'slightly improve' considering that was their quarterbacks fourth or fifth career start and Caddy is back at full-strength (where he wasn't in that game -- only had 10 carries).
I think the line would be around Bucs -2. I could be wrong though. Regardless, I honestly think the Redskins will win if they play the Bucs. The Skins were dominant the past two weeks. The Giants scored two TDs: One on a fluke tipped 40 yard pass with about 10 seconds left in the half and a defensive score. Take those out, and their D gave up 6 points. And their offense has put up 35 points in back to back weeks(and easily could've been 50+ if they didn't pull their starters against Dallas in the middle of the 3rd quarter).Now lets compare that to the Bucs who got embarrassed on national TV two weeks ago and then had an OT squeaker over Atl, in which Atl missed a 28 yard FG in the beginning of OT.

Now, I'm not one to critisize wins. Sure the Bucs had some breaks this year(call in Detroit, call against Washington, Atl missing that FG), but so have the Skins. And really, so has every winning team. Bottom line is that the Bucs are a good 11-5 team. I can admit that. However, I do believe in looking at the nature of recent games to try to determine the future outcomes. And I definitely believe that the Redskins are playing better football right now.

Now, I'm not one to critisize wins. Sure the Bucs had some breaks this year(call in Detroit, call against Washington, Atl missing that FG), but so have the Skins. And really, so has every winning team. Bottom line is that the Bucs are a good 11-5 team. I can admit that. However, I do believe in looking at the nature of recent games to try to determine the future outcomes. And I definitely believe that the Redskins are playing better football right now.
Considering that if Tampa and Washington play in the playoffs, it will be in Florida, I think greater emphasis should be placed on how well each is playing in that atmosphere. Washington has not beaten a good team on the road this season except for Dallas week 2 and that is a game they got outplayed in, but pulled two big plays out of their hat late in the game.

Meanwhile, Tampa Bay's last five home games have been against teams with a winning record and they are 3-2 in those games.

Just something to think about...

Considering that if Tampa and Washington play in the playoffs, it will be in Florida, I think greater emphasis should be placed on how well each is playing in that atmosphere. Washington has not beaten a good team on the road this season except for Dallas week 2 and that is a game they got outplayed in, but pulled two big plays out of their hat late in the game.

Meanwhile, Tampa Bay's last five home games have been against teams with a winning record and they are 3-2 in those games.

:goodposting: jw seems to think this game is going to be played at Fedex. It won't be.

Keys to the Bucs/Redskins game:QB: Bucs have a better QB by farRB: Bucs have a better running backWR: Redskins have a better wr corpsK: Redskins win this oneD: Bucs have a much better DefenseIt will be a close game but I think the Bucs will prevail 17-14.

Keys to the Bucs/Redskins game:

QB: Bucs have a better QB by far

RB: Bucs have a better running back
I disagree with both of these statements. How is Simms that much better than Brunell?

How is Williams already a better RB than Portis?

:goodposting: jw seems to think this game is going to be played at Fedex. It won't be.
Thats a fair point. The game could go either way- I'm definitely not saying that I'm confident in a Redskins win. I'm just saying that if I had to pick a winner, I'd go with Washington for the reasons that I noted. And I do believe that the Redskins current play at home will carry over to road games, but I guess we'll see about that in Philly this week.

WR: Redskins have a better wr corps

K: Redskins win this one

D: Bucs have a much better Defense

It will be a close game but I think the Bucs will prevail 17-14.
Better QB "by far"?? Come on man. You're being biased. In fact, thats such a ridiculous statement that I'm not even going to take the time to post the stats or argue it.

I also definitely disagree that Caddy is better than Portis. and I think that the Skins backup(Betts) is better than Pittman.

Some good info from the game thread:

Just got back from the game, and noticed the following things while there:

There might be somebody who can cover Santana Moss, but he was not on the field today.

Clinton Portis once again had the Redskins' dirtiest uniform. He was green and brown at the end of the 1st quarter.

Clinton Portis is tough. And good. Very good.

The Giants are great at gaining yards between the 20 yard lines.

The Redskins scored 5 offensive touchdowns today. The Giants scored 1.

This game was in doubt until the repeated Giants drives ended on unconverted 4th downs in the 4th quarter.

Tiki Barber is very good.

The Giants are good.

Today the Redskins were clearly better, on offense and defense.

The stadium is deafening when the Redskins' opponents have the ball. When the Skins have the ball it's so quiet you can talk to someone 2 rows away.

Patrick Ramsey plays like he has previous experience starting as an NFL quarterback. The second time Ramsey called timeout it was a great call ---- Antonio Brown had absolutely no clue where he was to line up or go in motion.

No Gatorade on the coach. The Redskins know this means nothing, that they're not "there" yet.

The Redskins remember losing 36-0.

Most importantly for Redskin fans: today this team turned a corner. They have not been good enough for years to be able to put themselves in the playoffs. There were always forlorn wishes for losses by other teams, but there was really no hope. Last week they beat one team in their way for the playoffs. Today they beat an even better team, one that was thought to be as good or better than the Redskins are. They outplayed the Giants, they did not fold or give it away. This is different. They control if they make the playoffs, and they have already beaten 3 teams who will be in the playoffs, and nearly beat a fourth.

Things are different in Washington now. Finally.

I have laryngitis from yelling today.

There might be somebody who can cover Santana Moss, but he was not on the field today.

Clinton Portis once again had the Redskins' dirtiest uniform. He was green and brown at the end of the 1st quarter.

This game was in doubt until the repeated Giants drives ended on unconverted 4th downs in the 4th quarter.

The Giants are good.

The stadium is deafening when the Redskins' opponents have the ball. When the Skins have the ball it's so quiet you can talk to someone 2 rows away.

Patrick Ramsey plays like he has previous experience starting as an NFL quarterback. The second time Ramsey called timeout it was a great call ---- Antonio Brown had absolutely no clue where he was to line up or go in motion.

No Gatorade on the coach. The Redskins know this means nothing, that they're not "there" yet.

Most importantly for Redskin fans: today this team turned a corner. They have not been good enough for years to be able to put themselves in the playoffs. There were always forlorn wishes for losses by other teams, but there was really no hope. Last week they beat one team in their way for the playoffs. Today they beat an even better team, one that was thought to be as good or better than the Redskins are. They outplayed the Giants, they did not fold or give it away. This is different. They control if they make the playoffs, and they have already beaten 3 teams who will be in the playoffs, and nearly beat a fourth.

Thanks for deleting the earlier post that said the same exact thing, and then adding this one. If people wanted to respond, they would've.

As a Redskin fan, this is great fun. For years the Skins have been ignored or denounced, often rightly so. Now that they're playoff contenders and are clearly capable of beating good teams, nobody feels sorry for us Skins fans any more. People drive from miles around (Chicago, Tampa, New York, for example) just to blast the Skins.Hey Skins fans, are you loving this as much as I am? :thumbup:

are you actually going to defend these statements?

Even though the Bucs already beat them had the refs hand them the game, TWICE,and have the better record and the game will be back in Tampa.Don't ever stop homering up, do you?
Fixed. Capella, you might want to remove that eye patch. There's some good NFL action you're missing. ;)

I'll jump in...QB: Edge to the Bucs if Ramsey is the guy. How hurt is Brunell?

RB: I'd take Carnell each time. Portis is very good, so this could go either way. But I prefer Williams.

WR: I think this is way close.

K: Redskins

D: Depends on which Redskins team shows up.

Colin

The Giants are good.

Thanks for deleting the earlier post that said the same exact thing, and then adding this one. If people wanted to respond, they would've.
No pissing in the shark pool, please. Thanks.

I'll jump in...QB: Edge to the Bucs if Ramsey is the guy. How hurt is Brunell?

RB: I'd take Carnell each time. Portis is very good, so this could go either way. But I prefer Williams.

WR: I think this is way close.

D: Depends on which Redskins team shows up.

Colin
I guess I just don't understand taking Caddy over Portis.Ignoring the fact that Portis is a better blocker, and ignoring the fact that the Skins have a better backup RB....

Portis has rushed for just under 1600 yards in 4 years...thats almost 1500/year in his first 4 years!!! And then add in 1100+ receiving yards.

Caddy has rushed for 1100 yards this year.

Portis' worst year is better than Caddy's 1100. What am I missing here?

There are only two teams in the NFC with better intra-division records than the 'Skins (9-2), and they are the Bears and the Seahawks at 10-1 each. Any guesses as to who those teams sustained their one loss to?

"The past is for cowards and losers" Mike Ditka

But if you Skins fans want to live in the past, chomp on this:

WORST Championship Loss in the History of ALL Sports
If you Bears fans want to live in the present, chomp on this:Defense carries Redskins past Bears, 9-7, dated September 11, 2005
Actually, HERE is the present.Must suck looking up a Giant Bears Seahawks Bucs Panthers ####.
Yes, playing in that terrible division will get a team a few extra wins. Congrats on that. You're still not a better team than the Skins. Assuming that the favored teams win this week, the Bears will have played 4 playoff teams this year: They were 1-3 and got outscored 29-55.

By contrast, the Skins will have played 8 games against teams in the playoffs. They went 5-3 and outscored those opponents 167-157.

And, as has been mentioned, the Skins beat the Bears this year.

With the unbalanced schedules in the NFL, the better teams don't always end up with the better records. This is a great case.

Edited to add: And thast not to mention that the Skins also played KC and SD, who are pretty damn good football teams. Thats a total of 10 games against legit contenders....not an easy schedule at all.

QB: Redskins better if Brunell is playing. If Ramsey is playing they're even.RB: Williams is good, Portis is a hair better. Redskins have a better O-line.

WR: Even

D: 4 point edge in total points allowed to the Bucs in 15 games. Redskins have played between 6 and 9 games against playoff teams (depending on how things sort out). Bucs have played at most 4 games against playoff teams. If there's any edge, it's to the Redskins.

"The past is for cowards and losers" Mike Ditka

If you Bears fans want to live in the present, chomp on this:Defense carries Redskins past Bears, 9-7, dated September 11, 2005
Actually, HERE is the present.Must suck looking up a Giant Bears Seahawks Bucs Panthers ####.
Yes, playing in that terrible division will get a team a few extra wins. Congrats on that. You're still not a better team than the Skins. Assuming that the favored teams win this week, the Bears will have played 4 playoff teams this year: They were 1-3 and got outscored 29-55.

By contrast, the Skins will have played 8 games against teams in the playoffs. They went 5-3 and outscored those opponents 167-157.

With the unbalanced schedules in the NFL, the better teams don't always end up with the better records. This is a great case.

Edited to add: And thast not to mention that the Skins also played KC and SD, who are pretty damn good football teams. Thats a total of 10 games against legit contenders....not an easy schedule at all.
If you are going to add the games against KC and SD since they are legit contenders, then you have to add the games Chicago played against Carolina, Atlanta and Minnesota in (they are 3-0 in those games), too. That brings Chicago's record against above .500 teams to 4-3. Washington's record against above .500 teams is 5-5. I would call that a wash.

And lets talk losses while we are at it.

The Bears worst loss (factoring in opponent, the final score and when they played them) was probably the 20-10 loss at Cleveland (whom, in their previous game, had lost by only 7 points AT Indy).

The Redskins worst loss is either the 36-0 loss to the Giants or the home loss to the Raiders (who are 1-7 in their last 8 games, with the lone win being at Washington). Take your pick as to which was worse. Either way, both losses were far worse than the Bears toughest losses this season.

As for Washington's win over the Bears, I wouldn't be bragging too much about a week 1 two-point win at home over the Bears considering they were starting a rookie backup quarterback. If they play that same game in Chicago, the Bears win it going away, easily.

"The past is for cowards and losers"  Mike Ditka

If you are going to add the games against KC and SD since they are legit contenders, then you have to add the games Chicago played against Carolina, Atlanta and Minnesota in (they are 3-0 in those games), too. That brings Chicago's record against above .500 teams to 4-3. Washington's record against above .500 teams is 5-5. I would call that a wash.

And lets talk losses while we are at it.

The Bears worst loss (factoring in opponent, the final score and when they played them) was probably the 20-10 loss at Cleveland (whom, in their previous game, had lost by only 7 points AT Indy).

The Redskins worst loss is either the 36-0 loss to the Giants or the home loss to the Raiders (who are 1-7 in their last 8 games, with the lone win being at Washington). Take your pick as to which was worse. Either way, both losses were far worse than the Bears toughest losses this season.

As for Washington's win over the Bears, I wouldn't be bragging too much about a week 1 two-point win at home over the Bears considering they were starting a rookie backup quarterback. If they play that same game in Chicago, the Bears win it going away, easily.
I don't think Minnesota is in that class. And I won't argue that Washington was better than Chicago during the middle of the year(when those 2 bad losses happened). I will argue that on the year as a whole Washington has been better and that right now they are playing better.Chicago had a QB hurt preseason and had tons of time to prepare him for that first game. The Skins had their QB hurt in that game and had to just throw their backup in there. The Skins, luckily, had the better backup- one of the reasons that they are a better team imho. So you can't use that as an excuse for their loss.

I don't call 5-5 and 4-3 "a wash". I call that one team having a tougher schedule that the other due to playing 3 more tough games.

Question: Whose defense is playing better right now? Now before you automatically say the Bears, lets look at the recent games...

Washington

NYG: NYG scored 13 points on offense, one of which was a fluke 40 yard tipped pass that was knocked away from the intended WR and went right to Toomer.

Dallas: Shut them out until the game was completly out of reach, then let up one meaningless TD when the game was 35-0.

Arizona:gave up 13 points on defense

St Louis: gave up 7 points on defense

Chicago

GB: Gave up 10 points on defense

Atl: Gave up 3 pionts on defense

Pitt: gave up 21 points on defense, and it really looked like Pitt could've scored more if they needed to but they just played it conservatively because they weren't scared of Chicago's offense

GB: 7 points given up

Now, I realize that Chicago has been better over the whole year. And I'm not definitely saying that Washington is playing better now- I'm just pointing out that its very close....probably a lot closer than most would think.

Now, lets turn to offense: I won't even spend too much time here. Washington has put up 5 offensive TDs in back to back games, and they pulled their starters with 20+ minutes to go in one of those(they probably could've came close to 60 if they tried). Chicago has been better with Grossman, but they are still Chicago. The edge is clearly with Washington here.

Coaching? I like Smith a lot, but I have to give it to the Skins, not just because of Gibbs but because of G Williams too.

Special teams? Honestly I'm not really sure here. Redskins kicking game has been solid lately, and they scored a TD against Arizona 3 games ago. I'll just call this a draw because I honestly don't have a good answer.

So to recap on how these teams are playing right now:

Offense: Washington by a large margin

Defense: Recently its been very close, but since Chicago has been better throughout the year you have to give them the edge here

Coaching: Washington

ST: ??

So how is Washington not the better team?

As a Redskin fan, this is great fun. For years the Skins have been ignored or denounced, often rightly so. Now that they're playoff contenders and are clearly capable of beating good teams, nobody feels sorry for us Skins fans any more. People drive from miles around (Chicago, Tampa, New York, for example) just to blast the Skins.

Hey Skins fans, are you loving this as much as I am? :thumbup:
:thumbup: I'm with you. This is, by far, better and more exciting than their 1999 playoff team. Winning is great. Winning with guys you really, really like and trust is much, much better.The Giants game was the only one I didn't go to all season (Christmas plans). I could hardly believe it, but it actually seemed louder than the Dallas game. I guess that could be due in part to Dallas being blown out so early.

I don't think Minnesota is in that class. And I won't argue that Washington was better than Chicago during the middle of the year(when those 2 bad losses happened). I will argue that on the year as a whole Washington has been better and that right now they are playing better.

Chicago had a QB hurt preseason and had tons of time to prepare him for that first game. The Skins had their QB hurt in that game and had to just throw their backup in there. The Skins, luckily, had the better backup- one of the reasons that they are a better team imho. So you can't use that as an excuse for their loss.

I don't call 5-5 and 4-3 "a wash". I call that one team having a tougher schedule that the other due to playing 3 more tough games.

Question: Whose defense is playing better right now? Now before you automatically say the Bears, lets look at the recent games...

Washington

NYG: NYG scored 13 points on offense, one of which was a fluke 40 yard tipped pass that was knocked away from the intended WR and went right to Toomer.

Dallas: Shut them out until the game was completly out of reach, then let up one meaningless TD when the game was 35-0.

Arizona:gave up 13 points on defense

St Louis: gave up 7 points on defense

Chicago

GB: Gave up 10 points on defense

Atl: Gave up 3 pionts on defense

Pitt: gave up 21 points on defense, and it really looked like Pitt could've scored more if they needed to but they just played it conservatively because they weren't scared of Chicago's offense

GB: 7 points given up

Now, I realize that Chicago has been better over the whole year. And I'm not definitely saying that Washington is playing better now- I'm just pointing out that its very close....probably a lot closer than most would think.

Now, lets turn to offense: I won't even spend too much time here. Washington has put up 5 offensive TDs in back to back games, and they pulled their starters with 20+ minutes to go in one of those(they probably could've came close to 60 if they tried). Chicago has been better with Grossman, but they are still Chicago. The edge is clearly with Washington here.

Coaching? I like Smith a lot, but I have to give it to the Skins, not just because of Gibbs but because of G Williams too.

Special teams? Honestly I'm not really sure here. Redskins kicking game has been solid lately, and they scored a TD against Arizona 3 games ago. I'll just call this a draw because I honestly don't have a good answer.

So to recap on how these teams are playing right now:

Offense: Washington by a large margin

Defense: Recently its been very close, but since Chicago has been better throughout the year you have to give them the edge here

Coaching: Washington

ST: ??

So how is Washington not the better team?
Regardless of whether Minnesota is in the class or not, they are 8-7 and above .500 (same as Atlanta), so it still counts as a win against an above .500 team. Of course, if the Bears beat the Vikings this weekend, that makes them 8-8 and they lose that win against above .500 teams and if they lose to them (a possibility since the Bears have a bye locked up), their record against above .500 teams goes down. Your whole analogy is nice and pretty and yes, the Redskins have had a tougher schedule, but the Redskins aren't even in the playoffs yet, so let's wait until they are in before saying they are better than a team that has clinched the number 2 seed in the NFC.

As for defense, Washington has had a good stretch lately, but they have had some bad stretches, too, this year. In other words, they haven't been as consistent on defense as the Bears have been, so I don't see how you can say their defense is as good or even better. Yes, right now, the Washington defense is playing about as well as Chicago's is, but overall, the Bears defense is simply better. Heck, the Bears have only given up 20 or more points three times this year (totals of 20, 21 and 24), while Washington has given up 20 or more points six times (twice as many times) and over 30 points once.

As for the better team right now, Washington's four game winning streak is nice, but how is that better than Chicago having won 10 of their last 11 games, especially when you factor in that Washington had lost six of their previous eight games before their current winning streak.

Obviously, what matters is who is playing best going into the playoffs, but if we are saying Team A is better than Team B because they have been better over the past month, then the Dolphins are better than the Colts, right?

As a Redskin fan, this is great fun. For years the Skins have been ignored or denounced, often rightly so. Now that they're playoff contenders and are clearly capable of beating good teams, nobody feels sorry for us Skins fans any more. People drive from miles around (Chicago, Tampa, New York, for example) just to blast the Skins.

Hey Skins fans, are you loving this as much as I am?  :thumbup:
:thumbup: I'm with you. This is, by far, better and more exciting than their 1999 playoff team. Winning is great. Winning with guys you really, really like and trust is much, much better.The Giants game was the only one I didn't go to all season (Christmas plans). I could hardly believe it, but it actually seemed louder than the Dallas game. I guess that could be due in part to Dallas being blown out so early.
Couldn't have said it better myself. 1999 was fun, but I remember wanting to buy a jersey to show my support, and not being able to pick a player that I really wanted. .

As for defense, Washington has had a good stretch lately, but they have had some bad stretches, too, this year. In other words, they haven't been as consistent on defense as the Bears have been, so I don't see how you can say their defense is as good or even better. Yes, right now, the Washington defense is playing about as well as Chicago's is, but overall, the Bears defense is simply better. Heck, the Bears have only given up 20 or more points three times this year (totals of 20, 21 and 24), while Washington has given up 20 or more points six times (twice as many times) and over 30 points once.
I pretty much 100% agree with this...if you go back and re-read what I said, you'll see that I'm saying the exact same thing.

As for the better team right now, Washington's four game winning streak is nice, but how is that better than Chicago having won 10 of their last 11 games, especially when you factor in that Washington had lost six of their previous eight games before their current winning streak.

Obviously, what matters is who is playing best going into the playoffs, but if we are saying Team A is better than Team B because they have been better over the past month, then the Dolphins are better than the Colts, right?
I simply think that if you've watched the past few games involving these teams, then you will come to the conclusion that Washington is playing better right now.The Colts/Dolphins analogy would work if A. Their records were a little closer, B. The Dolphins had played a significantly harder schedule and in a harder division, and C. The Dolphins had beat the Colts when they played each other....If that were the case, then yeah maybe I would say that the Dolphins are better.

Got my tix to Sunday's game.. go Skins :football:
It will be interesting to see how many Skins fans make the trip. I hope they take over the Linc the way Eagles fans took over Fed Ex during the Spurrier years.Tickets looked pretty cheap on Ebay earlier in the week. It looks like they've gone up a little. My guess is it's Redskins fans bidding against each other.

Users who are viewing this thread