What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hall vs Young (1 Viewer)

az_prof

Footballguy
1) Neither guy is a high draft pick; so no pedigree bias.

2) Neither guy has proven that he can be a featured back.

3) Shanny commented last year that Young was not durable enough to be a featured back.

4) Hall was effective as Young in limited time last season.

5) Shanny is NOT loyal to his backs and more often than not the #2 guy on the depth chart in preseason turns out to get the most carries in the regular season.

6) Hall is good.

Now, according to Hall the depth chart is anything but set and he is competing to be the starter.

KFFL: "The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos RB Andre Hall will share snaps with RB Selvin Young in the Broncos running game during 2008. Hall made it sound like there is no clear-cut primary back. "We're going to keep fighting. It might be Selvin one week. It might be me. Who knows, one week it might be (Michael) Pittman. We'll just keep fighting week to week," Hall said. "

I've said this many times, Andre Hall is the best pure RB on this team. His instincts, footwork, and pad level are top notch.

Selvin Young is a better receiver out of the backfield, and this is Selvin's job to lose. Hall didn't look as good earlier in the week, but looked very good against the Cowboys on Wed and Thu in practice.

Selvin has durability concerns, as does Hall. Both will see the field, and if Hall ended the year as the Broncos leading rusher it wouldn't be a big surprise.

1) Neither guy is a high draft pick; so no pedigree bias.2) Neither guy has proven that he can be a featured back.3) Shanny commented last year that Young was not durable enough to be a featured back.4) Hall was effective as Young in limited time last season.5) Shanny is NOT loyal to his backs and more often than not the #2 guy on the depth chart in preseason turns out to get the most carries in the regular season.6) Hall is good.Now, according to Hall the depth chart is anything but set and he is competing to be the starter.KFFL: "The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos RB Andre Hall will share snaps with RB Selvin Young in the Broncos running game during 2008. Hall made it sound like there is no clear-cut primary back. "We're going to keep fighting. It might be Selvin one week. It might be me. Who knows, one week it might be (Michael) Pittman. We'll just keep fighting week to week," Hall said. "
7) Young is betterIMO.

Personally, I am steering away from this.

Edited to add:Meaning Young, he is going to go far too early. Hall very late I can live with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I am steering away from this.
No one can argue with this approach. My approach to Denver backfield has been to go after the second or third back because they can be had very cheap and there is a good chance that you will get some good production from them. I avoid whoever is the current number one because the value is so volatile and unpredictable.

This sounds like a tailor made RBBC situation,

especially considering the durability issue with both Hall and SY.

Young is good value with his ADP this year. I find myself reaching sometimes.

Problem is Hall is hard to handcuff. He is going way to early most redrafts latly.

Young is good value with his ADP this year. I find myself reaching sometimes. Problem is Hall is hard to handcuff. He is going way to early most redrafts latly.
:goodposting: I just did a 14 team mock (w/ 7 drafters - not computer picks) and AH went undrafted. I took SY in the 5th, but chose Rhodes to back up Addai over Hall. The mock was only 15 rounds though.Torrian did go in the 11th IIRC.Hall's value / ADP should go up if he does well in the next couple of pre-season games. I do have AH in a dynasty and will be debating his roster slot when cut-downs (to 24) are due.

Serious question (I am not trying to stir any pot here)....

Why was Hall not able to beat out Young last year? ANd what has changed this year?

Serious question (I am not trying to stir any pot here)....Why was Hall not able to beat out Young last year? ANd what has changed this year?
I feel like Young was more of the change of pace back that they were looking for to pair with Henry, so he got the early looks. When Hall was given the load, he performed fairly well, though. I don't think Hall has a significant impact this year, however.

Lots of people on here that drafted Hall, huh?

From Rotoworld:

7/31

Rookie Ryan Torain is already seeing action with the Broncos' first-team offense at training camp.

Let's not go overboard here, but Torain may have already passed Andre Hall on the depth chart. Clearly, Torain is impressing and seems likely to make a run at a large role during the preseason. It's not at all far fetched to think that Torain and Selvin Young could open the regular season in a timeshare.Source: Rocky Mountain News

7/28

Despite a weekend report that the Broncos' running back job is "up for grabs," the Denver Post calls Selvin Young the "clear starter."

Coach Mike Shanahan has continued to praise Young early in camp. We can't rule out depth chart movement in August, but Young is the heavy favorite as is.Source: Denver Post

7/26

The Broncos' starting running back job is officially up for grabs.

Selvin Young opened camp as the lead runner with Andre Hall following him in the rotation. Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain, and Anthony Alridge brought up the rear. That order is expected to change frequently depending on performance, but we still believe the job is Young's to lose. One is never certain with Denver's backfield, but it would qualify as a major surprise if he wasn't lining up as the starter in Week 1.Source: Rocky Mountain News

6/10

Selvin Young says that he considers himself the starting running back in Denver.

"I’m coming out and I’m taking the reps right now with the ones, and I feel like it’s my job to go out and continue to be a leader and be an example for the guys behind me and continue to keep pressure on those guys like they’re putting pressure on me," Young said.Source: denverbroncos.com

6/2

The Denver Post's Jim Armstrong believes Broncos coach Mike Shanahan no longer sees Selvin Young as a mere 10-15 carry-per-game back.

Shanahan said in January that he thought Young's body wouldn't hold up as a starter, but he may just have been trying to motivate Young. It worked, as Young bulked up this spring. While we can expect surprises in Denver, we see Young as a boom or bust RB3 worth a look after the top 50 picks in drafts. He should be a quality fantasy starter for at least a portion of the season.

Source: Denver Post

6/1

Selvin Young, who's let it be known that his 2008 goal is to rush for 2,000 yards, will open training camp as the Broncos' starting running back.

His ceiling is higher than we imagined. To near his goal at all, Young needs to convince Mike Shanahan that he can be an every-down back. It's a long shot, but Young, who's up to 6'0/212 after playing 2007 at 205 lbs, is bigger and stronger than last year. "I feel totally different," he said. "I feel like more of a, if I can use the word, beast." Shanahan says he's "looking for a running back who has the ability to give us that 5 yards a carry." Young averaged 5.2 YPC last season. Henry averaged only 4.1.

5/28

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan addressed RB Selvin Young's belief that he could rush for 2,000 yards this season.

"I'd like for him to prove that to me," Shanahan said. "And he could very well do it. There's a big difference from your first year to your second year." Shanahan had previously stated that Young is more of a 10-to-15-touches-a-game back, so it's nice for Young that his coach is at least open minded about increasing his role. Michael Pittman's signing muddles the picture a bit, and it remains to be seen what Travis Henry's ultimate role will be once he returns to full health. It will be an upset if Young grabs a strong hold of the full-time job complete with short yardage work.

Source: Denver Post

5/25

Selvin Young believes he ran rush for 2,000 yards this season.

"People call me crazy," Young said. "I really think it's in me. I've gotten adjusted to this (Denver) altitude. With that alone, I should be able to take more snaps a game. And it seems like they want to do a lot more things with me." He probably won't see more than 250 touches in 2008, even if Travis Henry is cut. Mike Shanahan doesn't envision Young as a workhorse.

Lots of people on here that drafted Hall, huh?From Rotoworld:7/31Rookie Ryan Torain is already seeing action with the Broncos' first-team offense at training camp.Let's not go overboard here, but Torain may have already passed Andre Hall on the depth chart. Clearly, Torain is impressing and seems likely to make a run at a large role during the preseason. It's not at all far fetched to think that Torain and Selvin Young could open the regular season in a timeshare.Source: Rocky Mountain News 7/28Despite a weekend report that the Broncos' running back job is "up for grabs," the Denver Post calls Selvin Young the "clear starter."Coach Mike Shanahan has continued to praise Young early in camp. We can't rule out depth chart movement in August, but Young is the heavy favorite as is.Source: Denver Post 7/26The Broncos' starting running back job is officially up for grabs.Selvin Young opened camp as the lead runner with Andre Hall following him in the rotation. Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain, and Anthony Alridge brought up the rear. That order is expected to change frequently depending on performance, but we still believe the job is Young's to lose. One is never certain with Denver's backfield, but it would qualify as a major surprise if he wasn't lining up as the starter in Week 1.Source: Rocky Mountain News 6/10Selvin Young says that he considers himself the starting running back in Denver."I’m coming out and I’m taking the reps right now with the ones, and I feel like it’s my job to go out and continue to be a leader and be an example for the guys behind me and continue to keep pressure on those guys like they’re putting pressure on me," Young said.Source: denverbroncos.com 6/2The Denver Post's Jim Armstrong believes Broncos coach Mike Shanahan no longer sees Selvin Young as a mere 10-15 carry-per-game back.Shanahan said in January that he thought Young's body wouldn't hold up as a starter, but he may just have been trying to motivate Young. It worked, as Young bulked up this spring. While we can expect surprises in Denver, we see Young as a boom or bust RB3 worth a look after the top 50 picks in drafts. He should be a quality fantasy starter for at least a portion of the season.Source: Denver Post 6/1Selvin Young, who's let it be known that his 2008 goal is to rush for 2,000 yards, will open training camp as the Broncos' starting running back.His ceiling is higher than we imagined. To near his goal at all, Young needs to convince Mike Shanahan that he can be an every-down back. It's a long shot, but Young, who's up to 6'0/212 after playing 2007 at 205 lbs, is bigger and stronger than last year. "I feel totally different," he said. "I feel like more of a, if I can use the word, beast." Shanahan says he's "looking for a running back who has the ability to give us that 5 yards a carry." Young averaged 5.2 YPC last season. Henry averaged only 4.1.5/28Broncos coach Mike Shanahan addressed RB Selvin Young's belief that he could rush for 2,000 yards this season."I'd like for him to prove that to me," Shanahan said. "And he could very well do it. There's a big difference from your first year to your second year." Shanahan had previously stated that Young is more of a 10-to-15-touches-a-game back, so it's nice for Young that his coach is at least open minded about increasing his role. Michael Pittman's signing muddles the picture a bit, and it remains to be seen what Travis Henry's ultimate role will be once he returns to full health. It will be an upset if Young grabs a strong hold of the full-time job complete with short yardage work.Source: Denver Post 5/25Selvin Young believes he ran rush for 2,000 yards this season."People call me crazy," Young said. "I really think it's in me. I've gotten adjusted to this (Denver) altitude. With that alone, I should be able to take more snaps a game. And it seems like they want to do a lot more things with me." He probably won't see more than 250 touches in 2008, even if Travis Henry is cut. Mike Shanahan doesn't envision Young as a workhorse.
And all of this means exactly what in the merry-go-round world of DEN RBs? especially as of mid August???

from draftsharks today;

http://www.draftsharks.com/members/shark_bites.aspx#8533

Insider foresees Broncos RBBC

We contacted Mike Klis of the Denver Post today to discuss the RB situation. Ryan Torain shattered his elbow and is essentially gone, Michael Pittman is only working at fullback, so that leaves Selvin Young and Andre Hall. Young's the man, right? Klis told us: "I like Andre Hall a tad better... I think it's close... they'll share carries."

Posted on 8/16/2008 3:18:15 PM

Hall represents tremendous value if he is available in round 15 or later. Can't understand why someone would draft Young at current ADP.

Hall represents tremendous value if he is available in round 15 or later. Can't understand why someone would draft Young at current ADP.
i took Young a couple of weeks ago in a 12-team PPR league at 6.09. even if they split 50/50 i think he's worth it there. he's a much better receiver. agree that in general, Hall holds the better value of the two right now.

1) Neither guy is a high draft pick; so no pedigree bias.2) Neither guy has proven that he can be a featured back.3) Shanny commented last year that Young was not durable enough to be a featured back.4) Hall was effective as Young in limited time last season.5) Shanny is NOT loyal to his backs and more often than not the #2 guy on the depth chart in preseason turns out to get the most carries in the regular season.6) Hall is good.Now, according to Hall the depth chart is anything but set and he is competing to be the starter.KFFL: "The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos RB Andre Hall will share snaps with RB Selvin Young in the Broncos running game during 2008. Hall made it sound like there is no clear-cut primary back. "We're going to keep fighting. It might be Selvin one week. It might be me. Who knows, one week it might be (Michael) Pittman. We'll just keep fighting week to week," Hall said. "
7) Young is betterIMO.
8) Both are keeping the seat warm until the return of Ryan Torain. :yes:

:yes: That's like saying a twisted ankle is better than a sprained ankle. The sad fact of the Denver Bronco offense is that they're toggling between Hall and Young with a patchwork O-line and a pass offense that simply can't keep up with the point the defense is going to allow. Not a lot of running happening in the 3rd-4th Qs when they're behind.

7) Young is betterIMO.
8) Both are keeping the seat warm until the return of Ryan Torain. :yes:

bottomline here is if you believe in Selvin's talent and ability to stay healthy this year. If you do, take him at his ADP. If not, pass on him.

Count me in the Selvin-believer camp - guy has excellent instincts, vision, has some wiggle in his game, can run inside, can catch. Now all he's gotta do is stay healthy.

Hall is good, but definitely not better than Selvin IMO.

:blackdot: That's like saying a twisted ankle is better than a sprained ankle. The sad fact of the Denver Bronco offense is that they're toggling between Hall and Young with a patchwork O-line and a pass offense that simply can't keep up with the point the defense is going to allow. Not a lot of running happening in the 3rd-4th Qs when they're behind.

7) Young is betterIMO.
8) Both are keeping the seat warm until the return of Ryan Torain. :rant:
Even in this scenario Young will produce good yardage catching the ball.Injury is the main risk. I agree with joffer that Young is still worth the pick even in a time share if your getting him in the 5-6 round (I know his ADP is going up up up though).

put me in the camp of the above poster that said if hall is better why did selvin get all the looks last year over hall before injury?

Was Jamal Lewis better than Priest Holmes? Was Ricky Watters better than Ahman Green? Was Byran Hanspard and Ironhead better than Jamal Anderson? Was Holmes clearly better than LJ?

I think teams have their biases with players sometimes: draft pick versus undrafted player; their undrafted FA vs. a guy off waivers who was released by another team; perceived system fit.

I think both backs are talented, but neither fit the feature back prototype in terms of size...which explains the flip flopping.

Was Jamal Lewis better than Priest Holmes? Was Ricky Watters better than Ahman Green? Was Byran Hanspard and Ironhead better than Jamal Anderson? Was Holmes clearly better than LJ? I think teams have their biases with players sometimes: draft pick versus undrafted player; their undrafted FA vs. a guy off waivers who was released by another team; perceived system fit. I think both backs are talented, but neither fit the feature back prototype in terms of size...which explains the flip flopping.
Good posting. I really liked Hall coming out of USF. Both him and Jerome Harrison from WSU looked to me like they had great running instincts and could make it in the NFL. But unlike someone like MJD, a shorter RB who had huge legs, I didn't know that either could build up their legs enough to really be a featured, heavy duty RB. Now Young be too slight as well, but unless the weight he put on was all fat or something, he's closer to being able to handle the workload, IMO.

Browns Rule! said:
Lots of people on here that drafted Hall, huh?From Rotoworld:7/31Rookie Ryan Torain is already seeing action with the Broncos' first-team offense at training camp.Let's not go overboard here, but Torain may have already passed Andre Hall on the depth chart. Clearly, Torain is impressing and seems likely to make a run at a large role during the preseason. It's not at all far fetched to think that Torain and Selvin Young could open the regular season in a timeshare.Source: Rocky Mountain News 7/28Despite a weekend report that the Broncos' running back job is "up for grabs," the Denver Post calls Selvin Young the "clear starter."Coach Mike Shanahan has continued to praise Young early in camp. We can't rule out depth chart movement in August, but Young is the heavy favorite as is.Source: Denver Post 7/26The Broncos' starting running back job is officially up for grabs.Selvin Young opened camp as the lead runner with Andre Hall following him in the rotation. Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain, and Anthony Alridge brought up the rear. That order is expected to change frequently depending on performance, but we still believe the job is Young's to lose. One is never certain with Denver's backfield, but it would qualify as a major surprise if he wasn't lining up as the starter in Week 1.Source: Rocky Mountain News 6/10Selvin Young says that he considers himself the starting running back in Denver."I’m coming out and I’m taking the reps right now with the ones, and I feel like it’s my job to go out and continue to be a leader and be an example for the guys behind me and continue to keep pressure on those guys like they’re putting pressure on me," Young said.Source: denverbroncos.com 6/2The Denver Post's Jim Armstrong believes Broncos coach Mike Shanahan no longer sees Selvin Young as a mere 10-15 carry-per-game back.Shanahan said in January that he thought Young's body wouldn't hold up as a starter, but he may just have been trying to motivate Young. It worked, as Young bulked up this spring. While we can expect surprises in Denver, we see Young as a boom or bust RB3 worth a look after the top 50 picks in drafts. He should be a quality fantasy starter for at least a portion of the season.Source: Denver Post 6/1Selvin Young, who's let it be known that his 2008 goal is to rush for 2,000 yards, will open training camp as the Broncos' starting running back.His ceiling is higher than we imagined. To near his goal at all, Young needs to convince Mike Shanahan that he can be an every-down back. It's a long shot, but Young, who's up to 6'0/212 after playing 2007 at 205 lbs, is bigger and stronger than last year. "I feel totally different," he said. "I feel like more of a, if I can use the word, beast." Shanahan says he's "looking for a running back who has the ability to give us that 5 yards a carry." Young averaged 5.2 YPC last season. Henry averaged only 4.1.5/28Broncos coach Mike Shanahan addressed RB Selvin Young's belief that he could rush for 2,000 yards this season."I'd like for him to prove that to me," Shanahan said. "And he could very well do it. There's a big difference from your first year to your second year." Shanahan had previously stated that Young is more of a 10-to-15-touches-a-game back, so it's nice for Young that his coach is at least open minded about increasing his role. Michael Pittman's signing muddles the picture a bit, and it remains to be seen what Travis Henry's ultimate role will be once he returns to full health. It will be an upset if Young grabs a strong hold of the full-time job complete with short yardage work.Source: Denver Post 5/25Selvin Young believes he ran rush for 2,000 yards this season."People call me crazy," Young said. "I really think it's in me. I've gotten adjusted to this (Denver) altitude. With that alone, I should be able to take more snaps a game. And it seems like they want to do a lot more things with me." He probably won't see more than 250 touches in 2008, even if Travis Henry is cut. Mike Shanahan doesn't envision Young as a workhorse.
What's the point of this post? Torian is out for quite some time, maybe even IRd (rumor from not long after his elbow injury) and most of the other quotes are how the job is up for grabs.For my money, Young is the #1, Hall looks like the short yardage guy, could sneak into the top spot b/c it is SHanny after all.What were you saying with the above post? Cause I don't see anything there that makes me think different.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Cecil Lammey said:
I've said this many times, Andre Hall is the best pure RB on this team. His instincts, footwork, and pad level are top notch.
I second that emotion.
Yeah, you two have been high on Hall since last season. Maybe this time your prediction will come to fruition. I'm still in the Young corner, but I can see Hall beating him out (in Shanny's eyes :wink:) sometime this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young will keep the job. Hall is obviously faster and proved tonight might be better goal line back/ short yardage . But Hall cant catch. Killed a drive tonight droping a perfect throw right in his guts. Man that Denver offense was clicking! Cutler Royal and Marshall looked great. What happened to Dallas D.? Even Royal was having his way. It was a complete blow out Dallas D vs Denver offense first half. Halls drop and Praters miss cost Denver 10 and it should have been 24-3 at half when starters played. That 99 yard drive was a thing of beuty. You don;t see too many 2 minute drives look that good. Dallas is in for a long year if they don;t fix that defense!

ConstruxBoy said:
Wildman said:
Was Jamal Lewis better than Priest Holmes? Was Ricky Watters better than Ahman Green? Was Byran Hanspard and Ironhead better than Jamal Anderson? Was Holmes clearly better than LJ? I think teams have their biases with players sometimes: draft pick versus undrafted player; their undrafted FA vs. a guy off waivers who was released by another team; perceived system fit. I think both backs are talented, but neither fit the feature back prototype in terms of size...which explains the flip flopping.
Good posting. I really liked Hall coming out of USF. Both him and Jerome Harrison from WSU looked to me like they had great running instincts and could make it in the NFL. But unlike someone like MJD, a shorter RB who had huge legs, I didn't know that either could build up their legs enough to really be a featured, heavy duty RB. Now Young be too slight as well, but unless the weight he put on was all fat or something, he's closer to being able to handle the workload, IMO.
I had Hall rated 10th among RBs in the 2006 Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I actually thought he played a bit slower than his 40 time when studied him. One of the things he did very well as USF was catch the football. He was that team's offense. Kind of funny that he killed a drive with a drop, because he's was a strong receiver in college.

Users who are viewing this thread