What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have the Raiders named starting QB yet? (1 Viewer)

PACKER 7

Footballguy
Does anyone have definite information that the Raiders have named a Week 1 starter at QB?

I'm just curious to see if C-Pep will get the nod or not.

Does anyone have definite information that the Raiders have named a Week 1 starter at QB?I'm just curious to see if C-Pep will get the nod or not.
Kiffin says he wants DET to prepare for both so won't name one or the other. I have a hard time imagining it won't be C-pep though. I'm a fan of both but C-pep has earned it based on his performance on the field imo. He looks so much different than last year. The raider talking heads say he's more healthy but I disagree, he's just accepting his mobility this season. Last year with MIA he was always tucking the ball away and trying to run around the corner.... only it took him about ten seconds to get around the corner and some NT would catch him from behind. This season he looks like he accepts the fact he can't just tuck the ball away and run for 20 yards. He looks like he's concentrating on just getting rid of the ball instead of taking a huge sack trying to gain yards on the ground. He also looks like he's accepting the limitations of his WR's unlike in MIA. In MIA it seemed to me he was way to willing to toss the ball into a situation where the WR/DB could get to it with the assumption his WR would beat the DB to the ball. I don't think the WR's in MIA were good enough to do that. And they aren't in OAK either. C-pep has been much more careful about dangerous throws this preseason. Just my take from watching him.We'll never see the 20-something C-pep again but he still has a strong arm and if his decision making has improved he's a legit QB in this league.

If Kiffin starts McCown over Culpepper he must be seeing a lot from McCown in practice; because Culpepper has been about 10x better in preseason game action despite being completely new to the offense.

Kiffin knows the team knows it C-Pep. Kiffin is just using this as a ploy for the Lions defense to prepare for both.

The Lions probably know it's going to be Culpepper too. And if it isn't, they know McCown already since he was here last year. So I expect the Lions to prepare as if Culpepper starts.

I think C Pep will start but after 1/2 with 3 fumbles 2 Ints he will be benched in favor of McCown who will lead the Raiders to a come back win and steal the starting job from Cpep.

I dont own any of the but that s how C Pep has been playing the last few years .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think C Pep will start but after 1/2 with 3 fumbles 2 Ints he will be benched in favor of McCown who will lead the Raiders to a come back win and steal the starting job from Cpep.I dont own any of the but that s how C Pep has been playing the last few years .
The Lions secondary may be the worst in football, so I would not expect many problems for whoever starts this game.

The thing I find silly about Lane trying to make the Lions prepare for both is that they're the same type of QB anyway. It could be argued that McCown is a lot like what Pepper used to be because he's athletic as hell and hasn't lost a step yet. I was reading how thrilled they were with him and was shocked they acquired Pepper but I think that was all Mr Burns (Al Davis). Who knows maybe it hasn't been announced because Lane wants McCown and Burns wants Culpepper. Aren't people saying that Lane's been hard on players that are older than him... isn't Culpepper among those older guys?

The thing I find silly about Lane trying to make the Lions prepare for both is that they're the same type of QB anyway. It could be argued that McCown is a lot like what Pepper used to be because he's athletic as hell and hasn't lost a step yet. I was reading how thrilled they were with him and was shocked they acquired Pepper but I think that was all Mr Burns (Al Davis). Who knows maybe it hasn't been announced because Lane wants McCown and Burns wants Culpepper. Aren't people saying that Lane's been hard on players that are older than him... isn't Culpepper among those older guys?
Culpepper is only 30, so he's still younger than Kiffin.

Bump for recent news.

Someone in the Detroit vs. Oakland thread said that ESPN is reporting that Culpepper has been named the starter... anyone hear this or have a link??

Bump for recent news.Someone in the Detroit vs. Oakland thread said that ESPN is reporting that Culpepper has been named the starter... anyone hear this or have a link??
I heard on colin cowherd on espn radio this morning that Kiffin told them both and by facial expressions after practice Cpep was happy and McCown was sad. Take that for its worth.

I just got a link from KFFL. Culpepper has been named the starter.

KFFL Breaking News

Raiders Reportedly Named Starter

ESPNews reports Oakland Raiders QB Daunte Culpepper will reportedly start the team's Week 1 game.

Does anyone have definite information that the Raiders have named a Week 1 starter at QB?

I'm just curious to see if C-Pep will get the nod or not.
ESPNEWS thinks it will be Culpepperlink

Kiffin's told the players and may announce it today. According to McCown, keeping it secret for the sake of keeping the Lions guessing won't work b/c they already know him so well that they can spend all week preparing for Culpepper, then if the starter turns out to be McCown.... no big deal.

link #2

from CBS email

News: NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Wednesday that the Raiders will name Josh McCown their starting quarterback for Week 1 vs. Detroit, not Daunte Culpepper. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said that he has told his quarterbacks who his starter was, but neither confirmed or denied their roles on Tuesday.

From KFFL

Raiders | McCown to start?

Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:40:08 -0700

Michael Smith, of ESPN, reports Oakland Raiders QB Josh McCown appears likely to start in Week 1. McCown has taken all of the first-team reps at practice Wednesday, Sept. 5. Earlier reports had indicated that QB Daunte Culpepper was likely to be named the starter for Week 1.

My take is McCown is being thrown to the wolves. Once he stinks it up Culpepper will look better by comparison.

From KFFLRaiders | McCown to start?Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:40:08 -0700Michael Smith, of ESPN, reports Oakland Raiders QB Josh McCown appears likely to start in Week 1. McCown has taken all of the first-team reps at practice Wednesday, Sept. 5. Earlier reports had indicated that QB Daunte Culpepper was likely to be named the starter for Week 1.
"oof".

typical espn shotgun approach. About time for Mort to make something up regarding the move.
Exactly. That guy kills me.
He's a horrible journalist, like the tv version of pasquerelli. I don't remember the context, but before a MNF game last year mort broke a story, then later in monday night countdown he restated the story and said he hadn't heard it from anyone, it was just a hunch. WTF happened to reporting the facts? I also loved his articles that Cutler would be the first QB taken in the '06 draft.

ESPN has now reported that BOTH Culpepper and McCown will start. :tinfoilhat:
Lane Kiffin plays exclusively in "start 2 QB" leagues, saying that 1-QB leagues are for guppies.Edit: McCown will be starting at Quarterback, Culpepper will play 3/8thsback, LaMont Jordan will be halfback, and when Dominick Rhodes comes back, he'll be the 60%back.

Users who are viewing this thread