What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you changed your habits on eating out? (1 Viewer)

I do think some (many?) places now have huge portions that are way more than 1 serving.
Yup. Once we know there are huge portions, we start looking into splitting the next time. We'll split a pizza and so many times see other people getting their own pie each and take home half in a box. That's cool if you like it as leftovers but I'd rather not carry a box out.

I do think some (many?) places now have huge portions that are way more than 1 serving.
Isn't this the American way? The US is getting known for bigger portions, makes you feel like you get better value when you don't?
Super size me!

I guess so. It's a weird part of retail as businesses have to follow the customer demands.

If Chili's burger is X size and TGIF is 1.25 X. Then Chili's gets people mad. They don't look at the cost it seems.

On the splitting meals thing, I wonder about that.

We do it a lot too.

Is it because food costs more now?

Or just that I'm old now and that's what old people do?
I just don't like getting stuffed anymore. Eating just enough to not be hungry is enough, imo. Can always snack on something later.

That's me too. I just wonder if it's me that's changed or the portion sizes? Or that I don't eat as much as I used to.

2) ditch the imperial measurement system. There's a reason other countries kids learn math easier. It isn't hard to multiply by 10, 100, 1000. Instead our kids are spending elementary school learning how to convert ounces to gallons and yards to miles. Is there anything less meaningful? Meanwhile kids in India and China use those early years to learn calculus. US, Liberia and Myanmar are the only countries dumb enough to use the imperial system. Why we make it harder on our next generations is beyond me. It's so f'n stupid.
I agree with the overall intent but the imperial system doesn't have anything to do with learning math easier or harder. Unit conversions were not a big aspect of the math curriculum as far as I could tell so I really don't think it is prohibiting Americans from learning math "easier".
Really? My kids both spent grade 1-4 learning this crap. And they both went to a top 20 college so we were lucky to have kids that worked hard at school. But I think imperial crap was part of the SATs. Or maybe the Advanced Placement test going into the advanced middle school. There are certainly other things like lazy kids, lazy teachers, bad curriculum, catering to the low end of the totem pole, whatever. But if the only other countries that do it are Myanmar and Liberia ... well there you have it. We take so much pride in being different that we shoot ourselves in the foot.

We do it a lot too.

We don't do it every meal, but with some frequency we just order a few things (couple apps, 3-4 entrees) then split it all amongst us. Part of it is curbing excess leftovers the wife and I don't want, but saves a few bucks too.

Edit: 3 kids aged 8-14

2) ditch the imperial measurement system. There's a reason other countries kids learn math easier. It isn't hard to multiply by 10, 100, 1000. Instead our kids are spending elementary school learning how to convert ounces to gallons and yards to miles. Is there anything less meaningful? Meanwhile kids in India and China use those early years to learn calculus. US, Liberia and Myanmar are the only countries dumb enough to use the imperial system. Why we make it harder on our next generations is beyond me. It's so f'n stupid.
I agree with the overall intent but the imperial system doesn't have anything to do with learning math easier or harder. Unit conversions were not a big aspect of the math curriculum as far as I could tell so I really don't think it is prohibiting Americans from learning math "easier".
The Imperial system is never going to be changed in the US. I laugh at folks that think otherwise. Not happening.
Also, the imperial system has nothing to do with tipping or restaurant prices. I admire the "metric system or bust" shtick, but it's being misapplied here.

Metric makes it easier to tip in increments of 10% after you convert the meal to kilograms. Only idiot Americans would tip some weird number like 18% on a six-ounce coffee and a club sandwich cut into quarters. Get yourself a 100cc espresso, and a bratwurst cut into 10 even slices of 50 grams, and then the conversion to decatips is elementary.

We do it a lot too.

We split a meal and an app, maybe a small salad. Realized we just don’t need that many calories, so why waste the money to over-order?

Nope. We go out to eat maybe 5 times a year. We get take out 2 or 3 times a month, tho. We love to cook and are really good at it, so we figure why go out and spend 5-10 times the cost what we can make the same thing at home for.

Users who are viewing this thread