What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (3 Viewers)

I know this is probably discussed elsewhere, but it's not just restaurants that have gotten uber expensive. It's just food and food-adjacent products across the board. I can't go to Smart & Final or Target and not spend $75+. I got two bags worth of food at S&F on Tuesday and it was $75. Granted that included a $17 bottle of vodka (I'm fancy) but I continue to be amazed at how much stuff costs right now. I am going to push for a much higher raise than what my company offers me for "cost of living increase" if I don't get a promotion/raise already.

I know this is probably discussed elsewhere, but it's not just restaurants that have gotten uber expensive. It's just food and food-adjacent products across the board. I can't go to Smart & Final or Target and not spend $75+. I got two bags worth of food at S&F on Tuesday and it was $75. Granted that included a $17 bottle of vodka (I'm fancy) but I continue to be amazed at how much stuff costs right now. I am going to push for a much higher raise than what my company offers me for "cost of living increase" if I don't get a promotion/raise already.
Trader Joe's or Aldi are where you gotta go.

LIDL over Aldi, lidl has the fresh bakery items which are well well below going rates elsewhere. i go out of my way for the .79 croissants. a solid baguette is 1.29, my local market sells some la crappa baguette for 2.99 plus.

LIDL over Aldi, lidl has the fresh bakery items which are well well below going rates elsewhere. i go out of my way for the .79 croissants. a solid baguette is 1.29, my local market sells some la crappa baguette for 2.99 plus.
LIDL only on the east coast

My domestic partner does go to TJ's at least once a month, so I guess some of the food costs are offset there, but our ALDI is about 15 minutes away (I know, first world problems) and we just always opt to go to the Smart & Final (directly behind our neighborhood) or Target (ugh, the costliest of them all, but it's so convenient to get medications, toilet paper AND food).

And this is the mentality that kills me as a business owner. Instead of changing your own personal habits to make up the difference you go ask the company for more. Expenses are skyrocketing for them too. Don’t know if you’re at a place where your company can just raise their prices, but consider it. If they’re raking it in then sure. More power to you.

Same. Whenever I've been there I always end up needing to go somewhere else to finish shopping.
Well yes, it's not a get everything grocery store. Go there for certain things that are ridiculously underpriced. If you are expecting to go with a list and get everything, prepare to be disappointed.
Me to Aldi then:

"What would you say you do here?"

;)

the trailer park pub near where i play hockey has a great deal
$12:50 for burger, fries and a pint
I was skeptical but the burger is pretty good
Most pubs around here are $18-$25 for burger and fries
this is how you do it, look for good deals and take advantage, takes some effort to find but they're out there.

Same. Whenever I've been there I always end up needing to go somewhere else to finish shopping.
Well yes, it's not a get everything grocery store. Go there for certain things that are ridiculously underpriced. If you are expecting to go with a list and get everything, prepare to be disappointed.

It definitely has a cult like following. Every time I go in there I get a skeevy feel like when my mom would take me to TJ MAXX

Occasionally my wife will send me for an aisle of shame item to grab from there and I’ll look around but nothing looks appealing to me. I’m fine with store / off brands for essentials ( rice, pasta, canned vegetables, dairy ) but i usually go name brand on cereals, chips, etc. I feel like between sale and coupon shopping at Kroger and bulk purchases at Costco I’m making out better

I may have to make some sort of comparison database, or maybe there’s already a good site / app

like where I could compare best price per unit or whatever

It definitely has a cult like following. Every time I go in there I get a skeevy feel like when my mom would take me to TJ MAXX

Occasionally my wife will send me for an aisle of shame item to grab from there and I’ll look around but nothing looks appealing to me. I’m fine with store / off brands for essentials ( rice, pasta, canned vegetables, dairy ) but i usually go name brand on cereals, chips, etc. I feel like between sale and coupon shopping at Kroger and bulk purchases at Costco I’m making out better

I may have to make some sort of comparison database, or maybe there’s already a good site / app

like where I could compare best price per unit or whatever
Aldi will win the majority of the time.

Got takeout from local taco place. Sat at the bar, had two beers while I ordered and waited. Got 1 giant *** burrito, 6 tacos, side of rice and beans and guac. 61 bucks plus a 5 dollar tip. Fed all four of us wonderfully.

@Scoresman we all shared that 1 burrito
Crazy to me that this is considered a value now.
:confused:

I fed a hungry family of 4 and got two beers for what amounted to like 16 bucks a person. That would have been a value 15 years ago
What kind of tacos?

So basically a cheaper Trader Joes? I don't know why but I hate that store. They're owned by Aldi IIRC.

Passing the burrito around doesn't work either because not all bites are the same. Some bites will be all beans and be lame, while other bites will have a perfect mix of meat beans, cheese, etc. Unless you're at a top notch taqueria somewhere in California where this doesn't really happen.
It works fine. Take a couple bites and pass it down the line. Everyone gets some guac bites, some all rice bites, etc. It all works out

And dont forget every bite has three other people's saliva! Yum! I'll just have an extra taco for myself please.
Huh?

They’re not eating it like a popsicle.

You just share spit with the burrito-biter immediately ahead of you. Unless you’re eating from both ends, Lady and the Tramp style, or people are taking rogue bites from the middle.

Got takeout from local taco place. Sat at the bar, had two beers while I ordered and waited. Got 1 giant *** burrito, 6 tacos, side of rice and beans and guac. 61 bucks plus a 5 dollar tip. Fed all four of us wonderfully.

@Scoresman we all shared that 1 burrito
Crazy to me that this is considered a value now.
:confused:

I fed a hungry family of 4 and got two beers for what amounted to like 16 bucks a person. That would have been a value 15 years ago
What kind of tacos?
3 shrimp and 3 fish

Do people really share burritos by just passing it around? Not only would I refuse, I'd probably get up and leave. That's disgusting.

more seriously: my wife and i will occasionally split a couple of things: burrito, then also get tacos, flautas, quesadillas, etc. we will cut the burrito in half. pretty clean and easy for the two of us.

no way i am passing around a burrito or splitting it by more than half

Do people really share burritos by just passing it around? Not only would I refuse, I'd probably get up and leave. That's disgusting.
Yeah, that was one of the oddest things I’ve read in a long while
It was a joke. :ptts:
I hope so. I'm not a picky eater or anything either. I found a hair on my plate one time and just took it off and kept going. I was probably pretty drunk, but no way I'm passing a burrito around like a bong. Who knows the last time those people flossed? Could be sharing their breakfast with them too.

Yeah, that was one of the oddest things I’ve read in a long while
Are you married? Have kids? If so you don’t share foods with them or try a bite of whatever they are eating? Perhaps even a burrito?
Yes. Yes.

Wife yes, anyone else…no. A bite off a plate with our own fork ….yes. Handheld food? Negative

Made a Costco run yesterday and wife asked me to get rolled oats as she makes homemade granola bars and uses rolled oats for 'em. 10/Lb bag was $7.99. Should last us into the winter. :lmao:
I bet @shuke could down that entire bag in one sitting
Had a very portly friend admit to me that one time he got really stoned and in one sitting killed an entire loaf of bread and a 5 lb tub of peanut butter.
Gag! I would have dropped dead trying to eat that amount.

Users who are viewing this thread