What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (2 Viewers)

From the article https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ks-mike-mccarthy-jerry-jones-mum-coach-future

"He's been amazing. I don't know how there can be [questions about his status], but I understand the business," Prescott said. "In that case then there should be about me, as well, honestly. I mean, that guy -- I've had the season I've had because of him. This team has had the success that they've had because of him. And I understand it's about winning the Super Bowl, and that's the standard of the league and damn sure the standard of this place. I get it. But add me to the list in that case."

So for a lot of fans … if a coach is not a top-three or four playoff coach, your franchise needs to cut bait and just continuously churn through the rubble until you wildly luck out?

It’s a great luxury to just write off regular season success. Ask about a dozen fan bases.

So for a lot of fans … if a coach is not a top-three or four playoff coach, your franchise needs to cut bait and just continuously churn through the rubble until you wildly luck out?

It’s a great luxury to just write off regular season success. Ask about a dozen fan bases.
I think most fans have long been skeptical of McCarthy as a coach. There is a feeling that both his GB teams and this Dallas team have a lot more talent than their results. So when they come out and lay a completely embarrassing turd, I get it.

Honestly much more surprised by Vrabel getting let go than this one.

From the article https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ks-mike-mccarthy-jerry-jones-mum-coach-future

"He's been amazing. I don't know how there can be [questions about his status], but I understand the business," Prescott said. "In that case then there should be about me, as well, honestly. I mean, that guy -- I've had the season I've had because of him. This team has had the success that they've had because of him. And I understand it's about winning the Super Bowl, and that's the standard of the league and damn sure the standard of this place. I get it. But add me to the list in that case."
I've never seen a QB put himself in a position to fall on the sword
It's nice to see the players rally around him

"He's been amazing. I don't know how there can be [questions about his status], but I understand the business," Prescott said. "In that case then there should be about me, as well, honestly."

someone should let him know

There's an "eye test" measure to it as well. Any legit fan of the NFL knows Mccarthy is a bad coach. Yeah he can bring a stacked team to the playoffs. That's about all he can do.

I've got decades of Cowboy hate ingrained in me dating back to the 70s. Dak Prescott is a good dude.
You'd rally around him if the alternative was having Bill as your boss.

Expectations, whether realistic or not, have a hell of a lot to do with this.

They don't have to be top 3 or 4. But different organizations have different standards based on history and talent.

If a franchise considers it a win to be solid or good in the regular season but never win in the postseason, certain coaches should stick to those franchises and not hold positions with franchises where the standard is and should be higher.

But different organizations have different standards based on history and talent.

Different "organizations" or different "fan bases"? I'd say your favorite organization's policies have served them well.

It's not a good look when someone in a team's front office pulls back the curtain and displays contempt for fan consensus (Saints GM Mickey Loomis did this recently on a local radio show). At the same time, it can't be an uncommon mindset -- should fan outrage really be steering a franchise's ship?

But different organizations have different standards based on history and talent.

Different "organizations" or different "fan bases"? I'd say your favorite organization's policies have served them well.

It's not a good look when someone in a team's front office pulls back the curtain and displays contempt for fan consensus (Saints GM Mickey Loomis did this recently on a local radio show). At the same time, it can't be an uncommon mindset -- should fan outrage really be steering a franchise's ship?
I'm not going to turn this (again) into a conversation about the Steelers and Tomlin. As has been said, there's a thread for that. Tomlin has lowered the bar for what success is in Pittsburgh over the last 13 seasons. McCarthy has 3 straight 12 win regular seasons but he's being talked about as a failure because of a lack of playoff wins. Both seem to have issues with X's and O's and game management.

Fact is, to some fan bases and organizations, it's enough to win in the regular season and keep things interesting even if the team is never really a factor in the playoffs. Dallas was supposed to cruise into the NCCC with 2 home games. If that's consistently accepted by organizational leadership OR fan bases, then the standard for what a successful season looks like changes too.

I posted in the Dallas thread:

I love McCarthy staying in Dallas. If they can keep Quinn that makes for one of the strongest 1-2 coaching tandems in the league.

This isn't like Philadelphia where the team looked to quit and the coaching staff looked lost and incompetent. They had a bad game at the end.

And yes, the soft division is a factor. But if you fire Mike McCarthy, 25 other coaches probably should be fired.

Updated the title. We should have thread titles for coaches like we do players.
Agreed Joe but the purpose of this thread is a constant reminder that the Dallas HC position is somewhat of a puppet for Jerry jones.
-I agree 12-5 three years in a row should be an auto-retain on most teams. But it's the Dallas Cowboys and I think most know that Jerry Jones complicates the whole thing

In fairness when we fired this thread up, McCarthy had not won 12 games yet, think it was the start of his 2nd season and he was still making bad coaching decisions
It feels like the last couple years that MM has not done a lot with the defense and just focused on the Offense
Dak loves him or at least gives him full credit for his success
The title wasn't something most coaches would have and that's part of the reason it was put there, Dallas specific.

Cheers!

Updated the title. We should have thread titles for coaches like we do players.
Agreed Joe but the purpose of this thread is a constant reminder that the Dallas HC position is somewhat of a puppet for Jerry jones.
-I agree 12-5 three years in a row should be an auto-retain on most teams. But it's the Dallas Cowboys and I think most know that Jerry Jones complicates the whole thing

In fairness when we fired this thread up, McCarthy had not won 12 games yet, think it was the start of his 2nd season and he was still making bad coaching decisions
It feels like the last couple years that MM has not done a lot with the defense and just focused on the Offense
Dak loves him or at least gives him full credit for his success
The title wasn't something most coaches would have and that's part of the reason it was put there, Dallas specific.

Cheers!

Thanks. Is there another McCarthy thread?

I know some people hate Jones, but I'm not sure the Jerry Jones as irrational impetuous hire/fire guy really works today though. He made the rational smart decision with McCarthy.

As an owner of Dak in a Superflex keeper league, I approve of this development.

I was honestly surprised this year to see how much Prescott appears to love McCarthy. I was ready for a drop off in thinking it was all Kellen Moore. Turns out the opposite was true.
Lots of people figured the same, which is why I was able to get him for less than expected in this league’s auction, despite the presence of two Cowboys fans.

The difference was particularly notable after the bye, so presumably McCarthy made some adjustments during that time. It certainly seemed that the offense funneled through Lamb after that, and few teams could stop him.

I posted in the Dallas thread:

I love McCarthy staying in Dallas. If they can keep Quinn that makes for one of the strongest 1-2 coaching tandems in the league.

This isn't like Philadelphia where the team looked to quit and the coaching staff looked lost and incompetent. They had a bad game at the end.

And yes, the soft division is a factor. But if you fire Mike McCarthy, 25 other coaches probably should be fired.
I dunno about one bad game. They beat 3 teams with a winning record this year:

Seattle who didnt make the playoffs and fired their coach
Philly who absolutely collapsed down the stretch
Detroit and that was due to the worst ref mistake of the season.

They basically beat up on a really bad schedule.

They basically beat up on a really bad schedule.

And they beat up on backup QBs or teams with no line. I'm thinking of the Giants and Jets. Their schedule was indeed soft. They were paper tigers, and got the whooping that paper tigers get in the playoffs. Can't hide behind the unbalanced schedule (for the most part). It generally comes back to haunt you.

But what I'm saying is limited to that. I'm not making judgments about the Cowboys retaining McCarthy.

I thought the aftermath would be a joy to track after the game ended Sunday. It has been the gift that keeps on giving and it looks like we get another year of it. But I have to admit, I'm almost feeling a bit sad. JJ and McCarthy are starting to come across as desperate to me, and that's a touch painful to watch.

But there's still an element of schadenfreude here. Don't get me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread