What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (4 Viewers)

Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy should have kicked the field goal on the opening drive.
I know hindsight is 20-20.
But maybe that's why I see it so clearly today.
What's funny about it is that for 2 years running he's had the #1 kicker in fantasy (at least in my league). And then he goes against type at the wrong time.

Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy should have kicked the field goal on the opening drive.
Wait what? He should have kicked a field goal on the opening drive...before or after 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line?

I think McCarthy is a mediocre coach but the only decision i didn't love on the opening drive was suddenly giving 4 carries to a guy who had 6 in the prior 14 games.

Wait what? He should have kicked a field goal on the opening drive...before or after 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line?

I think McCarthy is a mediocre coach but the only decision i didn't love on the opening drive was suddenly giving 4 carries to a guy who had 6 in the prior 14 games.
Spot on

Before the goal line blunder. Would have been about a 34 yard attempt

I think McCarthy is a mediocre coach but the only decision i didn't love on the opening drive was suddenly giving 4 carries to a guy who had 6 in the prior 14

I think McCarthy is a mediocre coach but the only decision i didn't love on the opening drive was suddenly giving 4 carries to a guy who had 6 in the prior 14
He's overated imo. I honestly think he's on the sNe level as Jason Garrett.

I would like to share that the title of this thread originated "Countdown to being fired" or something along those lines, I had little faith in this relationship
Little did we know that this is a match made in heaven for the two of them. It's like 2 Middle/High School kids that condone bad behavior
I also think Jones' son, I think his name is Stephen but I might be wrong, he has been having major input on the drafts over the last 5+ seasons
There is a lot of talent on this roster and any time they might want to try a new QB if Dak weren't working out, a rookie QB would inherit one helluva team.

That said, Dak is working out and Dallas is poised to have another epic battle with San Fran like the early 90s with Irvin vs Rice
I was wrong and that's why the title was changed to something more traditional.

I guess a tiger never loses it's stripes

A lot of people are saying this game will do him in, I'm not so sure but the original thread title needed to be re-inserted after this disaster

Last edited:
Never underestimate how obstinant Jerry is. How many failures did it take before he fired Garrett?

I realize I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, but Belichick's availability may make this time an easier decision.

He will be recycled again. He won 12 games didn’t he?
I'm surprised we are even having this conversation because when you win the East for Jerry, that usually means you will be back the next season
No home team has ever lost 2 vs 7 in the playoffs since they started only allowing the 1-seed a Bye

I would assume he would be coaching again, Panthers at minimum would love to have him but I'm sure others would want to interview him right away

I'm not sure I understand. As a Steelers fan, I didn't realize that a team is allowed to fire a coach if he's really good in the regular season but continuously sucks in playoffs. I thought that's worthy of an extension? Well, it is in Pittsburgh. I'm so confused.

I'm not sure I understand. As a Steelers fan, I didn't realize that a team is allowed to fire a coach if he's really good in the regular season but continuously sucks in playoffs. I thought that's worthy of an extension? Well, it is in Pittsburgh. I'm so confused.
He’s at least got some rings though.

think the difference is the recent Steelers teams really shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with.

He's overated imo. I honestly think he's on the sNe level as Jason Garrett.
The playoff results are essentially the same. No NFC Title game participation in nearly 30 years. There is barely a difference here. Same s***, different day.

think the difference is the recent Steelers teams really shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with.
The talent level on Dallas is significantly higher than in Pittsburgh. Dallas has a top 5-7 roster, Pittsburgh is middle of the pack- at best.

The talent level on Dallas is significantly higher than in Pittsburgh. Dallas has a top 5-7 roster, Pittsburgh is middle of the pack- at best.
LOL the Pittsburgh issues have been going on for 13 years. There's been an awful lot of talent that's run through Pittsburgh during that time. Just find it amusing.

He got a ring with Cowher's team in his 2nd year. Got back 2 years later and lost. Its been 13 years of regular season success and playoff failures since. I'll find it amusing if McCarthy is canned and Tomlin is extended.

LOL the Pittsburgh issues have been going on for 13 years. There's been an awful lot of talent that's run through Pittsburgh during that time. Just find it amusing.
Agreed on the length of time.
Currently, though, this Steelers team is not particularly talented. QB play, prior to Rudolph’s late season surge, was abysmal.

He got a ring with Cowher's team in his 2nd year. Got back 2 years later and lost. Its been 13 years of regular season success and playoff failures since. I'll find it amusing if McCarthy is canned and Tomlin is extended.
And his loss in the Super Bowl was to...
:wink:
I know you know

Tomlin has overachieved with what he's had to work with. Garrett/McCarthy have massively underachieved.

Tomlin has overachieved with what he's had to work with. Garrett/McCarthy have massively underachieved.
Tomlin has failed in the playoffs for 13 years, not just the last 2. Its laughable to think he's overachieved with the talent the Steelers have had since 2011.

McCarthy has had lots of talent too. They both deserve to be on the hot seat.

And his loss in the Super Bowl was to...
:wink:
I know you know
Yep. That one hurt because I'll believe forever that the Steelers were the better team.

Tomlin has failed in the playoffs for 13 years, not just the last 2. Its laughable to think he's overachieved with the talent the Steelers have had since 2011.

Do you think both should be fired?

you're easily amused, they haven't had even a serviceable QB in 5 years, and prob not anything better than bottom 5 at best

Tomlin, yes. He's turned a perennial contender that he inherited into a team that's won 3 playoff games in 13 years and none for the past 7. They win their 9 or 10 regular season games because they always have average pr slightly above average talent, and are irrelevant come playoff time.

McCarthy, not yet. He inherited a team that won 11 games the previous 2 years combined and they won 12 each of the last 3. But without playoff wins, it means nothing, and he's 1-3 in the playoffs. Another year without playoff success, then my answer probably becomes yes.

Tomlin, yes. He's turned a perennial contender that he inherited into a team that's won 3 playoff games in 13 years and none for the past 7. They win their 9 or 10 regular season games because they always have average pr slightly above average talent, and are irrelevant come playoff time.

McCarthy, not yet. He inherited a team that won 11 games the previous 2 years combined and they won 12 each of the last 3. But without playoff wins, it means nothing, and he's 1-3 in the playoffs. Another year without playoff success, then my answer probably becomes yes.
OK OK OK...
-If Tomlin were fired or they mutually parted ways, he wouldn't make it to the parking lot before his phone would be blowing up with teams wanting to talk to him
But I hear you S4L, I'm not very kind to the Miami Dolphins despite being a life long fan, don't think we have the exact pieces and coaches just yet but we're better than we were I guess.

But if Tomlin were a free agent, some Head Coach in place right now would be out of a job tomorrow
And he has an entire thread dedicated to him

Last edited:
you're easily amused, they haven't had even a serviceable QB in 5 years, and prob not anything better than bottom 5 at best
Wrong, but yeah, that's the narrative. Ben wasn't elite but was still a highly effective QB in 2020, good enough to throw for 33 TDs and 10 INTs. He mightve been in 2021 also, but that's when Tomlin made the bonehead decision of hiring Matt Canada and it all went to ****.

Pickett has been brutal, but this year's team won a bunch of fluky games early and then lost 3 in a row primarily because Tomlin dismissed Rudolph and started Trubisky when Pickett got hurt.

I don't think McCarthy should be fired yet, but he's close and I wouldn't be surprised if he is. Organizations that have high expectations SHOULD make decisions like that.

Dallas should fire McCarthy and Pittsburgh Tomlin. Then they can switch places and torture the other fan bases for a while.

Tomlin has more coaching talent in one hair than Mccarthy has in his whole brain. What kind of moronic debate is this? Tomlin would be hired the instant he packs his bags. Mccarthy should never coach in this league again.
✈️ Hi-Jack✈️

-I do understand why S4L brings him up but agree and made a similar point couple posts up

Tomlin has more coaching talent in one hair than Mccarthy has in his whole brain. What kind of moronic debate is this? Tomlin would be hired the instant he packs his bags. Mccarthy should never coach in this league again.
You can believe the media's narrative if you want, and there's no doubt he'd be a step up in some situations. If regular season success is important, Id say both Tomlin and McCarthy should be extended.

But in Tomlin's case, maybe you can ask yourself why a guy who's so talented as a coach and had a ton of defensive talent with a 1st ballot HOF QB for 15 of his 17 years has only won a playoff game in 4 of his 17 years as a coach. 2 of those years came in his first 4 years after inheriting Cowher's team. Unless they win tomorrow, it'll mean the Steelers have only won a playoff game in 2 of the past 13 years. Most people disregard that stuff. Its OK. You can too.

McCarthy's teams have underachieved in the playoffs. If that's the standard, he's been a failure despite 3 straight 12 wins seasons. Of course, what he took over 4 years ago wasn't winning either and winning in the playoffs is the final hurdle.

As a Steelers fan, I really can't stand most Steelers fans. Just can't be happy for what they've gotten - or been given.

Cowher's team? Was Cowher the GM? Cowher's ring? Oh yeah, that rigged game against SEA.

As a Steelers fan, I really can't stand most Steelers fans. Just can't be happy for what they've gotten - or been given.

Cowher's team? Was Cowher the GM? Cowher's ring? Oh yeah, that rigged game against SEA.
Yes. Cowher's team. The guy who inherited garbage from Noll and built it over his tenure into a perrenial contender, never going more than 3 years without winning a playoff game. Unlike Tomlin, who inherited that team the year after Ben's motorcycle accident and now has the longest Steelers playoff win drought in over 50 years.

I'm not taking the bait on the Seahawks game. Still a sweet win all these years later lol.

Anyways.. this is about McCarthy's regular season success and playoff failures, not Tomlin's. My bad. Carry on!

Users who are viewing this thread