What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (2 Viewers)

Assuming Dallas makes some real noise in the Playoffs...

at Tampa Bay, the Bucs might be 8-9 hosting a Playoff game, this is made for Dallas to storm in and take out the Pirates
at Philly would be the next likely scenario. The Eagles are not exactly Playoff tested with the bunch they have right now. Dallas is one of the few teams you could see beating Philly
at Minnesota would likely be the NFCC, if not that game then it would be San Fran and the media would go nuts with a throwback to the early 90s.

I said Countdown to the End when Coach MM was first hired, this is the end of Year 3, he's still making goofy coaching mistakes but things seem to be working out even though they likely will not win the Division. Hard to imagine McCarthy fired in the off season, safe bet he is coming back for Year 4. That would make 2 coaches in the last 12 years for Jerry Jones? Can't say he isn't patient
Dallas is down their starting center, right tackle, a corner, slot corner, and a starting linebacker off the top of my head
They’ll be lucky to beat Tampa
Psssst...MoP doesn't really believe they are storming the Pirate Ship yet but it makes for a better post when I go forward with the whole picture
;)

Appreciate you even bantering back
All good

Assuming Dallas makes some real noise in the Playoffs...

at Tampa Bay, the Bucs might be 8-9 hosting a Playoff game, this is made for Dallas to storm in and take out the Pirates
at Philly would be the next likely scenario. The Eagles are not exactly Playoff tested with the bunch they have right now. Dallas is one of the few teams you could see beating Philly
at Minnesota would likely be the NFCC, if not that game then it would be San Fran and the media would go nuts with a throwback to the early 90s.

I said Countdown to the End when Coach MM was first hired, this is the end of Year 3, he's still making goofy coaching mistakes but things seem to be working out even though they likely will not win the Division. Hard to imagine McCarthy fired in the off season, safe bet he is coming back for Year 4. That would make 2 coaches in the last 12 years for Jerry Jones? Can't say he isn't patient
Dallas is down their starting center, right tackle, a corner, slot corner, and a starting linebacker off the top of my head
They’ll be lucky to beat Tampa
In reality, the Cowboys should beat the Bucs- who as anyone can see- are not anything close to being good.

But, as a realist and seeing who the Cowboys are, just as everyone knew they would lose to the Niners last year, they will again find a way to lose in Tampa.

It’s just who they are. Count on a minimum of 8 penalties, poor game management, and plenty of mental mistakes.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve seen this movie too many times to think it will end differently.

If Dallas loses in the first round of the playoffs, I think Jerry will be on the phone with Sean Payton before they board the plane.
🙏

McCarthy and Payton each became NFL head coaches in 2006 and each had a future HoF QB most of those seasons. Each won a single super bowl. Their overall records are nearly identical, although McCarthy made the playoffs 2 more times than Payton. McCarthy was fired and sat out a year whereas Payton had the suspension year due to the Bountygate coverup and has been in the media booth this season. I think Payton‘s personality is more attractive to fans; for whatever reason he seems more highly regarded among fans. Looking purely at results and performance, there’s very little that separates the two. I could see Jones doing it if he really just wants a change but otherwise there’s no objective reason to move from one to the other.

If Dallas loses in the first round of the playoffs, I think Jerry will be on the phone with Sean Payton before they board the plane.
🙏

McCarthy and Payton each became NFL head coaches in 2006 and each had a future HoF QB most of those seasons. Each won a single super bowl. Their overall records are nearly identical, although McCarthy made the playoffs 2 more times than Payton. McCarthy was fired and sat out a year whereas Payton had the suspension year due to the Bountygate coverup and has been in the media booth this season. I think Payton‘s personality is more attractive to fans; for whatever reason he seems more highly regarded among fans. Looking purely at results and performance, there’s very little that separates the two. I could see Jones doing it if he really just wants a change but otherwise there’s no objective reason to move from one to the other.
After a while Rodgers stopped respecting McCarthy and word about that got out. That plus some poor decisions in high-profile games led to the narrative that McCarthy was never as good as his record. Nothing like that ever happened to Payton.

🙏

McCarthy and Payton each became NFL head coaches in 2006 and each had a future HoF QB most of those seasons. Each won a single super bowl. Their overall records are nearly identical, although McCarthy made the playoffs 2 more times than Payton. McCarthy was fired and sat out a year whereas Payton had the suspension year due to the Bountygate coverup and has been in the media booth this season. I think Payton‘s personality is more attractive to fans; for whatever reason he seems more highly regarded among fans. Looking purely at results and performance, there’s very little that separates the two. I could see Jones doing it if he really just wants a change but otherwise there’s no objective reason to move from one to gent. the other.
After a while Rodgers stopped respecting McCarthy and word about that got out. That plus some poor decisions in high-profile games led to the narrative that McCarthy was never as good as his record. Nothing like that ever happened to Payton.

This is exactly my point - the main difference between the two is Payton has a better media agent. Payton's Saints went 7-9 in 4 out of 5 seasons ‘12-’16 with Drew Brees. They had some great regular seasons in the following few years, but lost 3 disastrous home playoff games. He played a backup tight end as his quarterback and was suspended for an entire season for an incredibly stupid coverup, but people still want to focus on that time McCarthy should have called a timeout.

🙏

McCarthy and Payton each became NFL head coaches in 2006 and each had a future HoF QB most of those seasons. Each won a single super bowl. Their overall records are nearly identical, although McCarthy made the playoffs 2 more times than Payton. McCarthy was fired and sat out a year whereas Payton had the suspension year due to the Bountygate coverup and has been in the media booth this season. I think Payton‘s personality is more attractive to fans; for whatever reason he seems more highly regarded among fans. Looking purely at results and performance, there’s very little that separates the two. I could see Jones doing it if he really just wants a change but otherwise there’s no objective reason to move from one to gent. the other.

This is exactly my point - the main difference between the two is Payton has a better media agent. Payton's Saints went 7-9 in 4 out of 5 seasons ‘12-’16 with Drew Brees. They had some great regular seasons in the following few years, but lost 3 disastrous home playoff games. He played a backup tight end as his quarterback and was suspended for an entire season for an incredibly stupid coverup, but people still want to focus on that time McCarthy should have called a timeout.
Good points but he's made more than one bad decision. I'm not for firing him just because of that. I'm not high on Kellen
🙏

This is exactly my point - the main difference between the two is Payton has a better media agent. Payton's Saints went 7-9 in 4 out of 5 seasons ‘12-’16 with Drew Brees. They had some great regular seasons in the following few years, but lost 3 disastrous home playoff games. He played a backup tight end as his quarterback and was suspended for an entire season for an incredibly stupid coverup, but people still want to focus on that time McCarthy should have called a timeout.did
Good info. But it's not just one bad call he's nade several. I'm not high on Kellen Moore so that's not helping him. Also, I'm not agreeing to fire him just because. But if you can get somebody better I'm all for it. I think Payton is better strategically.

A lot of teams would kill to get 10 wins + a season. McCarthy is a solid coach. Obviously when under pressure or abstract situations, that's when he has some issues.

🙏

🙏

🙏

A lot of teams would kill to get 10 wins + a season. McCarthy is a solid coach. Obviously when under pressure or abstract situations, that's when he has some issues.
All good info here

12-4….. McCarthy isn’t going anywhere. Nor should he imo.

Sometimes you need to make a change just to make a change. Players stop listening and buying in, even to a good coach, so management shakes things up. It happens in hockey pretty frequently, so I can see it happening here.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy's job "is safe" regardless of the team's Wild Card game outcome.​

Rapoport was only repeating what Cowboys general manager Jerry Jones said in an interview earlier this week. He did, however, add that Sean Payton does not consider Dallas a potential landing spot, adding more evidence to the claim that McCarthy is already locked in for the 2023 season. After getting to 12-5 in consecutive years, even a quick playoff exit to end this season won't cost McCarthy his job.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 15, 2023, 9:33 AM ET

There's a line in the movie airplane that goes, "Well, to be honest, I've never been so scared. But at least I have a husband."

After the season is over, the fan bases of 30 teams will be able to say, "Well to be honest, I've never been so mad. But at least our head coach isn't Mike McCarthy."

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy believes he is in a "great place" with the franchise, and that owner Jerry Jones wants him to coach the team as long as Tom Landry.​

Landry, of course, graced the Cowboys' sideline for 29 years. McCarthy will be lucky to last one fifth of that, especially since Jones has retained internal rival Dan Quinn. DC Quinn has been one of the coaching cycle's hottest candidates each of the past two years before ultimately opting to return to Dallas. Jones was overly patient with Jason Garrett, but now on the wrong side of 80, we doubt he will make the same mistake with McCarthy. Although it is true of every coach to some degree, McCarthy will be coaching for his job in 2023.
SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter
Jan 26, 2023, 5:14 PM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy believes he is in a "great place" with the franchise, and that owner Jerry Jones wants him to coach the team as long as Tom Landry.​

Landry, of course, graced the Cowboys' sideline for 29 years. McCarthy will be lucky to last one fifth of that, especially since Jones has retained internal rival Dan Quinn. DC Quinn has been one of the coaching cycle's hottest candidates each of the past two years before ultimately opting to return to Dallas. Jones was overly patient with Jason Garrett, but now on the wrong side of 80, we doubt he will make the same mistake with McCarthy. Although it is true of every coach to some degree, McCarthy will be coaching for his job in 2023.
as an eagles fan, this is great news

as an eagles fan, this is great news
Why?

I’m a little surprised by this TBH.

2021: knocked out of the playoffs at home by JimmyG with a busted wing. 0 offensive TDs by the 49ers.

2022: knocked out of the playoffs by Mr Irrelevant.

Yet McCarthy is still employed. Remarkable.
He's won 12 games in b2b seasons, slightly over 20% of those victories with Cooper Rush as his QB. Very hard for me to see keeping him is something people view as surprising.

I’m a little surprised by this TBH.

2021: knocked out of the playoffs at home by JimmyG with a busted wing. 0 offensive TDs by the 49ers.

2022: knocked out of the playoffs by Mr Irrelevant.

Yet McCarthy is still employed. Remarkable.
He's won 12 games in b2b seasons, slightly over 20% of those victories with Cooper Rush as his QB. Very hard for me to see keeping him is something people view as surprising.
He’s fine I guess. I’m not a fan.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said head coach Mike McCarthy will use a version of his former Packers offensive scheme as the team's play caller in 2023.​

McCarthy, after the Cowboys' loss to the 49ers in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, took over play-calling duties from Kellen Moore, who was dispatched and landed in LA as the Chargers offensive coordinator. McCarthy's Packers scheme worked wonderfully with Aaron Rodgers at the peak of his powers, but fell off the proverbial cliff in McCarthy's final three inglorious years in Green Bay. McCarthy was widely criticized for running an offense without much (if any) pre-snap motion or any other effort to keep opposing defenses off guard. Unless this old dog has learned some new tricks, Dallas' offense will likely take a major step backward in 2023.
SOURCE: Calvin Watkins on Twitter
Feb 1, 2023, 12:57 PM ET

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said head coach Mike McCarthy will use a version of his former Packers offensive scheme as the team's play caller in 2023.​

McCarthy, after the Cowboys' loss to the 49ers in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, took over play-calling duties from Kellen Moore, who was dispatched and landed in LA as the Chargers offensive coordinator. McCarthy's Packers scheme worked wonderfully with Aaron Rodgers at the peak of his powers, but fell off the proverbial cliff in McCarthy's final three inglorious years in Green Bay. McCarthy was widely criticized for running an offense without much (if any) pre-snap motion or any other effort to keep opposing defenses off guard. Unless this old dog has learned some new tricks, Dallas' offense will likely take a major step backward in 2023.

I like it. I hate the Cowboys and wish them continued failure.

This is what McCarthy has wanted for a few years and why I posted the quote below earlier.

I imagine the second most disappointed person in the world that Kellen Moore did not get the Carolina job was McCarthy.

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said, "I just want to run the damn ball" when describing the differences between himself and former offensive coordinator Kellen Moore.​

If you thought that quote was bad, it only gets worse upon further inspection. McCarthy added, "I don't desire to be the No. 1 offense in the league. I want to be the No. 1 team in the league." He also noted that Moore wanted to light up the scoreboard, and that was seemingly said as a knock on his philosophy. McCarthy described the run game as a means of resting his defense. The talk of his bygone style of football lines up with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones previously saying McCarthy will be bringing a version of the scheme McCarthy ran in Green Bay to Dallas. This type of backsliding from the Cowboys' offense was all but inevitable after they swapped out Moore for Brian Schottenheimer this offseason. The former Seahawks offensive coordinator was famous for his dogmatic commitment to the ground game while in Seattle. He is now serving as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator following Moore's dismissal.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter
Mar 1, 2023, 5:26 PM ET

Questions answered last night:

How good is this defense? Elite level play. Stifling pass rush. Great cornerback play. If they jump out to a lead on you, tough to recover when the d-line pins their ears back and goes for the QB.

Can Pollard handle the workload and short yardage carries. I was surprised Dak wasn't more involved toward the goal line but Pollard looks to be that guy.

Lamb and Cooks is a pretty formidable WR duo. Not sure they're going to set records but absolutely looked like the best receiving corps we have had in awhile.

Questions unknown: Tight End. Ferguson had some drops and I'm not sure he's long for the starting line-up unless he can fix those hands. I think Schoonmaker is a little more sure-handed and although a 40-0 blowout can mask a lot of things, that is something that'll need to be looked at.

Who is going to be the RB to spell Pollard? Surely, the long-term plan can't be Turpin. Vaughn? I'm not sure... but I know it isn't Rico Dowdle. I would really like to see a Kareem Hunt sighting in Dallas, because if Pollard gets dinged... we are hurting.

Great game though!

Is still in the thread title of my main forum's bad coaching thread despite that clown in college not saying take a knee to win the game and losing as a result, so I'm going to take a shot and say "no"

Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy should have kicked the field goal on the opening drive.
I know hindsight is 20-20.
But maybe that's why I see it so clearly today.

I was with family and missed most of the game. The few times I looked at the tv he has just doing dumb things smh

Handing off to Leupke with your $10m RB on the sidelines
Insisting on passing on early downs inside the 10
Not kicking the fg

Were completely idiotic and inexcusable

Yeah yesterday was a questionable day.

1st quarter stuff was working. Peppering 88 off play action.

Then they just….didn’t ever do that again.

Going away from CeeDee Lamb is always the wrong call.

They deserved every bit of that loss.

Users who are viewing this thread