What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (1 Viewer)

These days, those fans are going to lose their seat privileges and that video won't be that hard for them to zero in on. 

I understand the frustration but you can't do that and the players don't deserve that type of treatment. But those fans can exercise their freedom by not renewing their tickets, that will send the message to a team with a long waiting list for season ticket holders, right?

Yeah no bias MoP. Literally an entire thread for your hate. :lmao:  
I aim to please 

You shoulda seen my Urban Meyer thread before it was morphed, classic! 

The prospects of Moore from OC to Head Coach, not sure I am following that either. Not saying you are advocating that but reports are that JJ is considering hiring him or promoting him to Head Coach

-MoP thinks those reports are nonsense of course but they're out there

Dak Press Conference compared to "You Can't Do that on Television" and the green slime

Incredible woke media covering football these days. 

Does this fall under Coach MM, he is Dak's leader, yes/no?

Dak had a horrible game 65 passer rating in his biggest game, bad late INT, missed throws and then had that huge mental blunder at the end.  Chances are they still would have lost but he was bad.

So his frustrations with his own bad play probably took over. 

But what he said was wrong because he thought in his mind, they were throwing stuff at the players. But it was OK if they were throwing it at the Refs.

Bad as that last play was....I think the punt team on the field lets sub 8 guys in at 14 seconds was even dumber. Had the defense tried to sub in response, the ref wouldn't have moved off the ball at all. He HAS TO LOOK to see if D is gonna sub...it's THE RULES. Was a ridiculous attempt to what....steal a timeout?

Dallas was horribly un disciplined in that game. I didn't see a bad call against them...plenty of impactful calls, but seemed like every call was the right one

Gregory should be cut today!  What was he doing tackling SFs tackle on that sweep? One of the stupidest situation plays I have even seen.

Dak had a horrible game
Coach McCarthy put a team out there that looked very unprepared

-Jerry Jones said he will not blame officials in any way for the outcome. He's looking at his coaching staff wondering why they were even in that spot to begin with. 

I don't believe Jerry will fire McCarthy, but I do believe he is going to play it out for a little while before he gives him his endorsement. Jerry did praise McCarthy a few weeks back and said he was the difference. I give McCarthy credit for hiring Dan Quinn and improving the defense. 

Dallas is still building IMHO, maybe they were overhyped and Dak Prescott is not a Top5 QB, somewhere in the 8-12 band but not elite. He isn't going to win single handedly too often, they need 150+ yds rush per game from their RBs for them to be successful.

-They also are just about the most penalized team in the NFL, 14 of them yesterday? 

Those are mostly facts and not just bias opinion what I am highlighting. There's enough visual evidence to make judgments about how McCarthy coaches. He won a Super Bowl and I think most coaches who are handed Aaron Rodgers for 12 years would likely win a Super Bowl along the way, he didn't do anything special. 

And he's getting worse

-Jerry Jones said he will not blame officials in any way for the outcome. He's looking at his coaching staff wondering why they were even in that spot to begin with. 

I don't believe Jerry will fire McCarthy, but I do believe he is going to play it out for a little while before he gives him his endorsement. Jerry did praise McCarthy a few weeks back and said he was the difference. I give McCarthy credit for hiring Dan Quinn and improving the defense. 

Dallas is still building IMHO, maybe they were overhyped and Dak Prescott is not a Top5 QB, somewhere in the 8-12 band but not elite. He isn't going to win single handedly too often, they need 150+ yds rush per game from their RBs for them to be successful.

-They also are just about the most penalized team in the NFL, 14 of them yesterday? 

Those are mostly facts and not just bias opinion what I am highlighting. There's enough visual evidence to make judgments about how McCarthy coaches. He won a Super Bowl and I think most coaches who are handed Aaron Rodgers for 12 years would likely win a Super Bowl along the way, he didn't do anything special. 

And he's getting worse

Jury is out on McCarthy and Dak.   Dak just did not play good enough to give his team a chance.

Is Dallas really better than a 500 team though?  They played in the weakest division by far. Giants had QB issues all season, Redskins played a backup, Philly played Hurts who is erratic at best.

So maybe Dallas is who we thought they were yesterday.

McCarthy has long outstayed his welcome 

When Dak got hurt last year, they were rolling out rubbish at qb when they could have been using Cooper Rush or Mike White.   That’s a talent evan failure. 

As long as he is coach, I will fade all Cowboys in fantasy drafts.  He ruined Rodgers’ best years…now these last two years we see what might have been with Rodgers even with the GB front office doing all they can to #### it up. 

McCarthy is one of the worst coaches in the league... not sure I can say he is the worst as long as Gase is still employed, but he is definite bottom 5.  He was absolutely horrendous with the Packers but had Favre and then Rodgers to constantly bail him out.  

The only question is how long does it take Dallas to realize they made a huge mistake?  Since they hired him in the first place, it is apparent that their leadership is already pretty flawed, so it might take them awhile. 
Bingo

And he's getting worse

Not sure how unprepared they were.   Had Prescott played well Dallas would have won.  In the playoffs QBs need to step it up to advance, Dak went backwards yesterday.

Also what is going on with Elliott?  Runs like an old FB now.  Has some power but looks slow as molasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how unprepared they were.   Had Prescott played well Dallas would have won.  In the playoffs QBs need to step it up to advance, Dak went backwards yesterday.
Dak didn’t commit 14 dumb penalties or call the game. He played better than the other QB. Threw one TD and ran for another. WRs we’re loafing on their route and dropping passes. 

Dak wasn’t perfect but he played well enough to win. 

ETA - You continually bash Prescott, alway have. 

Dak didn’t commit 14 dumb penalties or call the game. He played better than the other QB. Threw one TD and ran for another. WRs we’re loafing on their route and dropping passes. 

:confused:   What are you talking about?

Jury is out on McCarthy and Dak.   Dak just did not play good enough to give his team a chance.

Is Dallas really better than a 500 team though?  They played in the weakest division by far. Giants had QB issues all season, Redskins played a backup, Philly played Hurts who is erratic at best.

So maybe Dallas is who we thought they were yesterday.
I think the jury has rendered a verdict on both- not good enough.

Dak has a full resume at this point- people have to stop making excuses. He's not alone for yesterday's debacle but he has not played well enough in big, late season games to be considered great. He's good, but that's it.

McCarthy was given a mulligan last year. We've been told this was the year- yesterday was a disgrace- totally unprepared, 14 penalties.

Not the answers.

Just FYI, Dak was widely panned on the morning talk shows on ESPN, FS1, NFLN while I was streaming thru them, he was perceived as being worth $7.50 an hour as Skip Bayless put it. 

Not saying they're right/you're wrong but I am saying you're opinion is not the popular one today from the pundits. 

Just FYI, Dak was widely panned on the morning talk shows on ESPN, FS1, NFLN while I was streaming thru them, he was perceived as being worth $7.50 an hour as Skip Bayless put it. 

Not saying they're right/you're wrong but I am saying you're opinion is not the popular one today from the pundits. 
Your citing Skip Bayless?

Did Dak screw up the last play, sure. One play does not win/lose a game that is not what Cowboys fans on this board, specifically myself is/are doing? 

After last season and the rash of injuries, the big question was whether or not to give Dak the mega-deal. (I was opposed to it then, and remain steadfast in that belief. The contract will, in retrospect be viewed as a bad decision. I'm even more confident in that judgement now than I was when the deal was signed.) Dak is a finished product as a QB- he's not going to get better. There is no objective reason to believe he will become more accurate. He makes some great throws but simply misses to many throws to be considered elite. Yesterday's game was the perfect microcosm of Dak's skill set.

I'm really happy for him and his family, they'll never have to worry about money again. I'm all for players getting paid, the NFL is hazardous to one's health. He will help keep the Cowboys in the 9-8, 10-7 range and competitive in the near future. 

The honest assessment is that we waited a year and a half for this moment and the results by all parties was an abject failure. The team was not prepared and Dak was average yesterday. When you are paid in excess of $40 million, you need to deliver the goods in that spot. 

The team as a whole underwhelmed yesterday. SF is a good team and they deserved to win the game.

As a Dallas fan, though, you have to see this team as what they are: flawed and ill-prepared. They crush sub-standard teams in the early to middle part of the year, and fade late in the season when the level of competition is better and the stakes are raised.

People go nuts when the Cowboys rip off 50 burgers against the WFT and Eagles backups, the national media croons and says look how great this team is, all these records being set. Those with reality glasses on see the fool's gold in that analysis.

I wish it was different, but we have another year to live with this. Until the team wins a playoff game, they will continue to be correctly viewed as an overrated media creation of stat compilers that look great on fantasy rosters but don't pass the smell test in actual NFL football. 

After last season and the rash of injuries, the big question was whether or not to give Dak the mega-deal. (I was opposed to it then, and remain steadfast in that belief. The contract will, in retrospect be viewed as a bad decision. I'm even more confident in that judgement now than I was when the deal was signed.) Dak is a finished product as a QB- he's not going to get better. There is no objective reason to believe he will become more accurate. He makes some great throws but simply misses to many throws to be considered elite. Yesterday's game was the perfect microcosm of Dak's skill set.

I'm really happy for him and his family, they'll never have to worry about money again. I'm all for players getting paid, the NFL is hazardous to one's health. He will help keep the Cowboys in the 9-8, 10-7 range and competitive in the near future. 

The honest assessment is that we waited a year and a half for this moment and the results by all parties was an abject failure. The team was not prepared and Dak was average yesterday. When you are paid in excess of $40 million, you need to deliver the goods in that spot. 

The team as a whole underwhelmed yesterday. SF is a good team and they deserved to win the game.

As a Dallas fan, though, you have to see this team as what they are: flawed and ill-prepared. They crush sub-standard teams in the early to middle part of the year, and fade late in the season when the level of competition is better and the stakes are raised.

People go nuts when the Cowboys rip off 50 burgers against the WFT and Eagles backups, the national media croons and says look how great this team is, all these records being set. Those with reality glasses on see the fool's gold in that analysis.

I wish it was different, but we have another year to live with this. Until the team wins a playoff game, they will continue to be correctly viewed as an overrated media creation of stat compilers that look great on fantasy rosters but don't pass the smell test in actual NFL football. 
he’s not going to get better?. Sure he will. Quarterbacks play into their 40s nowadays and they are substantially better in their late 30s then they are in the entirety of their twenties.

It used to be that right around the time the quarterbacks have mastered their craft their bodies gave out on them.

That is no longer the case. Prescott played well enough to win that game yesterday. Did he play well enough to overcome 14 penalties in stupid playcalling? Nope. He played well enough that a better coach team would have won that game

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said he is "very confident" in head coach Mike McCarthy.

The vote of confidence can be a death knell, but Jones sounded more definitive about McCarthy's return, answering "absolutely" when asked if the coach will be back. It is unclear where this confidence comes from following a disastrous Wild Card exit just one day ago, but it looks like McCarthy has the support of the front office. Sorry, Cowboys fans. 

SOURCE: David Helman on Twitter

Jan 17, 2022, 2:19 PM ET

Steady Mooobin said:
Your citing Skip Bayless?

Did Dak screw up the last play, sure. One play does not win/lose a game that is not what Cowboys fans on this board, specifically myself is/are doing? 
He missed several key throws to wide open receivers.  He's just not a great QB.  He comes up small in big games.

Steady Mooobin said:
he’s not going to get better?. Sure he will. Quarterbacks play into their 40s nowadays and they are substantially better in their late 30s then they are in the entirety of their twenties.

It used to be that right around the time the quarterbacks have mastered their craft their bodies gave out on them.

That is no longer the case. Prescott played well enough to win that game yesterday. Did he play well enough to overcome 14 penalties in stupid playcalling? Nope. He played well enough that a better coach team would have won that game
If Jimmy G doesn't throw that really bad INT, then the Cowboys never really had any shot at winning for the entire game. I agree you can't put it all on Dak, but he didn't play well. 

I would argue that neither JImmy G, nor Dak played well enough to win. Both of them came up small. 49ers won in spite of Jimmy G. And Dak needed  to play better for Dallas to win. 
Hard to argue this

I guess though the difference was Jimmy had a great running game and time to throw.

Dak had neither 

Jerry Jones has squandered talented rosters on the back of incompetent, puppet coaches for decades. Nothing will change, because Jerry Jones will always stand in the way of bringing in a coach who might overshadow him.

Everyone that doesn’t have a Mahomes or Rodgers or Allen or Brady #####es about their QB.  Those elite QBs are hard to find.  Dak is plenty good. They should be able to win with him and with better coaching they probably get a bye this week instead of getting massively outcoached.  

Jerry Jones has squandered talented rosters on the back of incompetent, puppet coaches for decades. Nothing will change, because Jerry Jones will always stand in the way of bringing in a coach who might overshadow him.
These are old and lazy takes. MM might be a dope but Jerry has taken a step back YEARS ago. Will McClay has been the most prominent person responsible for the Cowboys drafts for about 5 years now. 

Everyone that doesn’t have a Mahomes or Rodgers or Allen or Brady #####es about their QB.  Those elite QBs are hard to find.  Dak is plenty good. They should be able to win with him and with better coaching they probably get a bye this week instead of getting massively outcoached.  
Draft some road grading, mean, and large offensive linemen and see what happens. 

These are old and lazy takes. MM might be a dope but Jerry has taken a step back YEARS ago. Will McClay has been the most prominent person responsible for the Cowboys drafts for about 5 years now. 

I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about coaching. I acknowledged the Cowboys have had talented rosters for decades... but what have they done with those rosters? Why have the last two coaches been a guy who went on to get fired as an OC in less than two years, and a guy who was out of the league for a year and generally lampooned by a HoF QB in his previous gig? My point was that the Cowboys are a PREMIER team and somehow haven't had a top coach since the 90s. To think Jerry doesn't have incredible weight in the coaching choices is naive at best.

Interesting headline, I thought Kellen Moore was the offensive playcaller though....  Wasn't he the one that called the draw there?

I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about coaching. I acknowledged the Cowboys have had talented rosters for decades... but what have they done with those rosters? Why have the last two coaches been a guy who went on to get fired as an OC in less than two years, and a guy who was out of the league for a year and generally lampooned by a HoF QB in his previous gig? My point was that the Cowboys are a PREMIER team and somehow haven't had a top coach since the 90s. To think Jerry doesn't have incredible weight in the coaching choices is naive at best.
MM might be a dope but he is one of the few coaches who has a SB ring. I would fire his ### just to send a message but I couldn’t tell you who I would replace him with. 

Do you know who Jerry should have hired or know a guy to get to replace him? (<— Not a snarky question) 

MM might be a dope but he is one of the few coaches who has a SB ring. I would fire his ### just to send a message but I couldn’t tell you who I would replace him with. 

Do you know who Jerry should have hired or know a guy to get to replace him? (<— Not a snarky question) 
Honestly, it really depends on the identity the team wants to have. Just off the top of my head: I'd love to see a guy like Bieniemy to take  advantage of the Cowboys offensive firepower. Dallas really needs to break the Garret lineage and Moore is a Garret guy. There's an off chance he gets hired away but I haven't heard many rumblings of interest. I'm still surprised Flores was fired in Miami and he should get another shot, though the friction between he and Tua is concerning. It could be an established QB with a good work ethic like Dak will avoid that. IMO the Bears should scoop him up but I'm not opposed to seeing him in Dallas.

Honestly, it really depends on the identity the team wants to have. Just off the top of my head: I'd love to see a guy like Bieniemy to take  advantage of the Cowboys offensive firepower. Dallas really needs to break the Garret lineage and Moore is a Garret guy. There's an off chance he gets hired away but I haven't heard many rumblings of interest. I'm still surprised Flores was fired in Miami and he should get another shot, though the friction between he and Tua is concerning. It could be an established QB with a good work ethic like Dak will avoid that. IMO the Bears should scoop him up but I'm not opposed to seeing him in Dallas.
I'm glad somebody brought this up. My take is that the Cowboys need a Brian Flores type- a taskmaster that is unafraid to call out substandard play. This team feels like they are simply too comfortable- again- that is total speculation on my part. It just doesn't feel like there's a real sense of urgency. I'm a fan with no inside knowledge but there does not seem to be a culture of accountability.

down one score, no team has run the ball with under 20 seconds while trailing in the playoffs the last 25 years

until the Cowboys cost themselves the game by doing so

(dates to at least 1994, as far back as public PBP indexing goes) 

via @TBagleySports

@Ministry of Pain

thread title should read 40 not 50 

I think it's a valuable thought exercise to ask your question above, along with "If a team fires coach X, how many teams would he immediately be an upgrade for"? After Flores was let go, people immediately thought he was going to get some calls. Maybe MM would get some too? I don't know but I'd be concerned about how next year will be different with the same staff.

Agree with almost all of this except Moore is not a Garrett guy. They bumped heads/Garrett was holding him back. 

Steady Mooobin said:

They do?

How many and who?

down one score, no team has run the ball with under 20 seconds while trailing in the playoffs the last 25 years

until the Cowboys cost themselves the game by doing so

(dates to at least 1994, as far back as public PBP indexing goes) 

via @TBagleySports

@Ministry of Pain

thread title should read 40 not 50 
"cost themselves the game" lol.

Instead of their 2% chance of winning by chucking up 2 hail mary's? 🙄

22 to ever do it.  Most of them played a long time ago.  The "qb's play into their 40's now" is such a misleading statement because of Brady and Brees.  Literally 2 guys since Favre.
I would add that any potential candidates to do it would need to be traditional "pocket passers". Guys that depend on their wheels generally do not get better with age.

"cost themselves the game" lol.

Instead of their 2% chance of winning by chucking up 2 hail mary's? 🙄
as I’m in a pedantic mooooood…

Actually, their chance of winning went up from 5% to 7% after the QB draw…for a few seconds, until it dropped to 0.00%

as I’m in a pedantic mooooood…

Actually, their chance of winning went up from 5% to 7% after the QB draw…for a few seconds, until it dropped to 0.00%
Nice.  So the call was the right one to increase their chances, they just executed it poorly which dropped them to 0.  Either way, there was very very little chance they'd win.  It didn't "Lose them the game"

Nice.  So the call was the right one to increase their chances, they just executed it poorly which dropped them to 0.  Either way, there was very very little chance they'd win.  It didn't "Lose them the game"
Those 13 penalties were a teensy bit of a factor.

KICKING A FG TO MAKE A TWO SCORE GAME a two score game with was an “interesting choice.” 

Coming out unprepared and being outplayed in all three phases while getting physically manhandled was a HUGE FACTOR.

Users who are viewing this thread