What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (2 Viewers)

With all due respect, I am not sure anyone is in the business of taking character references from Rodgers.  

McCarthy's clock management was dumb, but Aaron Rodgers' opinion doesn't hold much weight.  
Huh?  This isn’t a character reference issue.  ARod saw firsthand how dumb MM was.  All Packer fans knew it too - his clock mgmt has been terrible forever.

Let's rewind to when Denver was ahead 30-0 and it's late 4th and he still has Dak and the 1st team offense out there while Dak was coming off injury. 

-Today you ask? Kicking a 60 yd FG and then turning it over at midfield down 17-6 in the 1st Half. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mike McCarthy tested positive for COVID-19. 

There could be a full-blown COVID-19 outbreak in the Cowboys organization. Schefter reports there are at least eight people -- including five coaches -- who have tested positive for the virus as of Monday morning. "Details still rolling in," a source told Schefter. The slumping Cowboys will be without their head coach for their Thursday night game against New Orleans, though they should get the unvaccinated Amari Cooper back in the lineup after he missed two games with COVID. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 29, 2021, 10:45 AM ET

@Ministry of Pain - It will be interesting to watch this game on the weekend to see if McCarthy’s prediction will blow up in his face.

Jon Machota 

Washington coach Ron Rivera on @nbcwashington on Mike McCarthy saying the Cowboys are going to win Sunday: “You do that for a couple of reasons, 1. You want to get in our head. Secondly, he’s trying to convince his team. … He’s now made it about him…I think it’s a big mistake.”
https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1469113993474289671?s=21

Predicting a win over WFT? And winning by only one touchdown?

McCarthy should predict winning games against teams like Green Bay. But he wouldn't dare. Because he would lose, and make Jerrah have to answer for it like he has to over this game.

Predicting a win over WFT? And winning by only one touchdown?

McCarthy should predict winning games against teams like Green Bay. But he wouldn't dare. Because he would lose, and make Jerrah have to answer for it like he has to over this game.
Good take Drummer. 

I keep looking for reasons not to like him but he sure as hell has this team better prepared than his predecessor. Im not saying that's a high bar but I think the MM hate is a bit overblown and unwarranted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep looking for reasons not to like him but he sure as hell has this team better prepared than his predecessor. Im not saying that's a high bar but I think the MM hate is a bit overblown and unwarranted. 
Let's start at the OP, there's a track record and let's not overlook him putting Dak on the field late 4th Q down 30-0 to Denver I might remind everyone, that was more recent but he's been making blunders since he arrived and going back to Green Bay. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Good take Drummer. 

Thanks, although on second reading it lacks a few things lol. I shouldn't assume Dallas would lose to Green Bay for one. That's just not a fair assumption, any team can win or lose on a given day, and Dallas is the best team in their division, and have the fourth best record in the NFC with just being one game behind the other division leaders in the NFC.

I didn't know McCarthy had made a prediction until I read Jerrah's response to it on Pro Football Talk. For Jerrah to have to had to defend that prediction from McCarthy is just an unnecessary distraction that could had been made worse if the Cowboys had lost. I dunno if McCarthy is channeling some inner Buddy Ryan, but his team should be motivated to win without a prediction that even high school coaches don't make, and players don't make them because it puts a target on them and it's disrespectful. 

I don't think it added pressure to the Cowboys locker room, I'd see it more like a "rolleyes" that their head coach had said it.

ETA: you also don't want to give fodder to the media that even the owner has to respond to. It's just idiotic really. If it had worked against him, it's all they would be saying last night and today, and make Jerrah look like a fool as well. Which he really doesn't like.

Thanks, although on second reading it lacks a few things lol. I shouldn't assume Dallas would lose to Green Bay for one. That's just not a fair assumption, any team can win or lose on a given day, and Dallas is the best team in their division, and have the fourth best record in the NFC with just being one game behind the other division leaders in the NFC.

I didn't know McCarthy had made a prediction until I read Jerrah's response to it on Pro Football Talk. For Jerrah to have to had to defend that prediction from McCarthy is just an unnecessary distraction that could had been made worse if the Cowboys had lost. I dunno if McCarthy is channeling some inner Buddy Ryan, but his team should be motivated to win without a prediction that even high school coaches don't make, and players don't make them because it puts a target on them and it's disrespectful. 

I don't think it added pressure to the Cowboys locker room, I'd see it more like a "rolleyes" that their head coach had said it.

ETA: you also don't want to give fodder to the media that even the owner has to respond to. It's just idiotic really. If it had worked against him, it's all they would be saying last night and today, and make Jerrah look like a fool as well. Which he really doesn't like.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic and disagreeing with pretty much everything you said. 

Ministry of Pain said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Let's start at the OP, there's a track record and let's not overlook him putting Dak on the field late 4th Q down 30-0 to Denver I might remind everyone, that was more recent but he's been making blunders since he arrived and going back to Green Bay. 

I think "blunders" is pretty subjective for armchair fans like us to judge. He's not great with the media and isn't a cheerleader type of coach most fans seem to want. As for Green Bay, he coached there a long time - over 15 years I think. He's won more games as a Packer coach than anyone other than Curly Lambeau. He won a superbowl and  has a street named after him - it runs parallel to Lombardi Avenue with both leading to Lambeau from the East. He got a bit stale the last few years and I think everyone agreed it was time for him to  move on, but I don't think anyone denies he was a great Packer coach for many many years and one of the most successful ever in Green Bay.

I think "blunders" is pretty subjective for armchair fans like us to judge. He's not great with the media and isn't a cheerleader type of coach most fans seem to want. As for Green Bay, he coached there a long time - over 15 years I think. He's won more games as a Packer coach than anyone other than Curly Lambeau. He won a superbowl and  has a street named after him - it runs parallel to Lombardi Avenue with both leading to Lambeau from the East. He got a bit stale the last few years and I think everyone agreed it was time for him to  move on, but I don't think anyone denies he was a great Packer coach for many many years and one of the most successful ever in Green Bay.

I think I can blame him for hoodwinking Mike Nolan into drafting Alex Smith over Rodgers when McCarthy was OC during Nolan's first season with the 49ers. Because look where he wound up the very next season.

Although reports were that Nolan didn't like Rodgers' attitude, but he also didn't like Alex Smith either.

Moral of this story: Mike Nolan really sucks.

Jerry Jones says Mike is they reason they are winning. 

How come Dallas never has any timeouts left at the end of the 1st half and 2nd Half when they need them the most?

Is that something you would attribute to coaching?

Jerry Jones never admits he made a bad decision. He kept Garrett, what, four years too long because he couldn’t bring himself to admit his failure.
He's the only owner that stands up to Goodell(I love that) and every once in a while slaps him around a little bit, he was instrumental in getting the Rams to Los Angeles and persuading the owners to all fall in line and vote for it, the entire Los Angeles market that all the owners now tap into, he's a shrewd business man and there's a lot I like about Jerry Jones. 

-I don't like Jerry Jones the President of Operations or the guy that really makes the personnel decisions, etc...I wish he would stay out of it but he can't help himself. He wishes he had the coach's headset on and he does with stools like McCarthy running the team. 

McCarthy could be replaced

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones may consider a coaching change should the team fall short of expectations this season, league sources said, with both of his top assistants to head coach Mike McCarthy drawing serious head coaching interest from other teams. Several sources who know Jones well indicated that a loss in the wild card round would prompt Jones to at least consider the direction of the team as coordinators Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore prepare for numerous head coaching interviews.

Jones has long been a huge proponent of Moore's and believed early on in the young coach's ability to mold an offense, work with quarterbacks and call plays. Dak Prescott has done his best work with Moore in charge and Jones is very comfortable with the coordinator's demeanor and progress, viewing him internally as a future head coach as well. Losing Moore would be viewed by the Jones family as a significant departure, and although McCarthy has won a Lombardi Trophy, he took the job knowing Jones wanted to keep Moore as coordinator. McCarthy's two-year tenure has also been filled with plenty of ups and downs.

"If this season doesn't end the way Jerry thinks it should, don't be surprised if Kellen Moore is their next head coach much sooner than later," said one source who knows Jones well. "He does not want to lose him."

Another source close to the owner added: "It's not like there isn't precedent for something like this. Remember what they did to keep Jason Garrett. It wouldn't be out of character at all."

Jones made Garrett the highest-paid assistant in football to help keep him from taking the Ravens head coaching job, and promoted him to head coach thereafter. Like Garrett, Moore is also a former Cowboys quarterback who was viewed as a fast riser in NFL circles. Jones invested massively in Prescott and wants to see him produce like a $40M quarterback and views Moore as essential in that process. Moore, 33, has already interviewed for the Jaguars head coaching vacancy, and the Broncos, Dolphins and Vikings will speak with him as well.

Quinn has former head coaching experience in Atlanta, taking the Falcons to the Super Bowl before reemerging in Dallas after his firing by the Falcons. He quickly turned around a Cowboys defense that has been awful for years and, in the process, became one of the most coveted candidates of this hiring cycle. The Jaguars wanted to interview Quinn -- that interview has yet to take place -- and the Broncos, Dolphins, Vikings and Bears also have requested to interview with him.

Losing either candidate would be a blow and losing both, or even fearing losing both, could be devastating and might be the impetus for Jones to react to keep one. Sources said ownership has not intimated in any way to anyone in the organization that they might be tapping an assistant for promotion, but there are plenty of people involved in this ongoing 2022 hiring cycle who are anticipating it if the Cowboys fall at home to the 49ers on Sunday.

-The city of Baltimore wants to thank Jerry Jones first off

-Sounds like Garrett 2.0 in regards to Moore.

-Don't believe Quinn is the guy jerry wants as a head coach in Dallas and will be OK should he walk.  

McCarthy could be replaced

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones may consider a coaching change should the team fall short of expectations this season, league sources said, with both of his top assistants to head coach Mike McCarthy drawing serious head coaching interest from other teams. Several sources who know Jones well indicated that a loss in the wild card round would prompt Jones to at least consider the direction of the team as coordinators Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore prepare for numerous head coaching interviews.

Jones has long been a huge proponent of Moore's and believed early on in the young coach's ability to mold an offense, work with quarterbacks and call plays. Dak Prescott has done his best work with Moore in charge and Jones is very comfortable with the coordinator's demeanor and progress, viewing him internally as a future head coach as well. Losing Moore would be viewed by the Jones family as a significant departure, and although McCarthy has won a Lombardi Trophy, he took the job knowing Jones wanted to keep Moore as coordinator. McCarthy's two-year tenure has also been filled with plenty of ups and downs.

"If this season doesn't end the way Jerry thinks it should, don't be surprised if Kellen Moore is their next head coach much sooner than later," said one source who knows Jones well. "He does not want to lose him."

Another source close to the owner added: "It's not like there isn't precedent for something like this. Remember what they did to keep Jason Garrett. It wouldn't be out of character at all."

Jones made Garrett the highest-paid assistant in football to help keep him from taking the Ravens head coaching job, and promoted him to head coach thereafter. Like Garrett, Moore is also a former Cowboys quarterback who was viewed as a fast riser in NFL circles. Jones invested massively in Prescott and wants to see him produce like a $40M quarterback and views Moore as essential in that process. Moore, 33, has already interviewed for the Jaguars head coaching vacancy, and the Broncos, Dolphins and Vikings will speak with him as well.

Quinn has former head coaching experience in Atlanta, taking the Falcons to the Super Bowl before reemerging in Dallas after his firing by the Falcons. He quickly turned around a Cowboys defense that has been awful for years and, in the process, became one of the most coveted candidates of this hiring cycle. The Jaguars wanted to interview Quinn -- that interview has yet to take place -- and the Broncos, Dolphins, Vikings and Bears also have requested to interview with him.

Losing either candidate would be a blow and losing both, or even fearing losing both, could be devastating and might be the impetus for Jones to react to keep one. Sources said ownership has not intimated in any way to anyone in the organization that they might be tapping an assistant for promotion, but there are plenty of people involved in this ongoing 2022 hiring cycle who are anticipating it if the Cowboys fall at home to the 49ers on Sunday.

-The city of Baltimore wants to thank Jerry Jones first off

-Sounds like Garrett 2.0 in regards to Moore.

-Don't believe Quinn is the guy jerry wants as a head coach in Dallas and will be OK should he walk.  
Maybe Asst HC/O Coord for Moore. HC when McCarthy is done. He’s not ready to be  HC anywhere imo

We’ll see

Bad as that last play was....I think the punt team on the field lets sub 8 guys in at 14 seconds was even dumber. Had the defense tried to sub in response, the ref wouldn't have moved off the ball at all. He HAS TO LOOK to see if D is gonna sub...it's THE RULES. Was a ridiculous attempt to what....steal a timeout?

Dallas was horribly un disciplined in that game. I didn't see a bad call against them...plenty of impactful calls, but seemed like every call was the right one

Users who are viewing this thread