What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (4 Viewers)

If McCarthy has a losing record with an upgraded team from the one that was quite successful in 2019, it’s not terribly absurd. We have certainly seen coaches only last a year in this league before. 

If Dallas went 6-10 with Dak do you think McCarthy comes back in 2021? I’m not 100% sure on “yes”
Yes 

And not only because they’ve been crushed by injuries 

Yes 

And not only because they’ve been crushed by injuries 
I would say Yes on most teams but McCarthy is making some of the same errors he made in Green Bay, but he doesn’t have Rodgers to bail him out this time (and he no longer has Dak). when he wins, he is even still winning in the same fashion. 

In Dallas I feel like Jerry is less patient than most other franchises and would move on. He seems to be still in the honeymoon phase with McCarthy though so maybe you’re right. 

If McCarthy has a losing record with an upgraded team from the one that was quite successful in 2019, it’s not terribly absurd. We have certainly seen coaches only last a year in this league before. 

If Dallas went 6-10 with Dak do you think McCarthy comes back in 2021? I’m not 100% sure on “yes”
Dallas could go 4-12 and barring some kind of crazy altercation between he and Jerry Jones, he's 100% back in 2021. Good organizations don't knee jerk a coach after one year. This isn't Cleveland. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas could go 4-12 and barring some kind of crazy altercation between he and Jerry Jones, he's 100% is back in 2021. Good organizations don't knee jerk a coach after one year. This isn't Cleveland. 
That’s a very tgood point. I guess I was more thinking Jerry can’t stand to lose. But he did stick with Garrett for more years than he probably should of. I guess with Jerry it might be the opposite approach- he doesn’t like to admit a mistake. 

How many years would McCarthy have in Dallas assuming bad to mediocre results? 

I-ROK said:
That’s a very tgood point. I guess I was more thinking Jerry can’t stand to lose. But he did stick with Garrett for more years than he probably should of. I guess with Jerry it might be the opposite approach- he doesn’t like to admit a mistake. 

How many years would McCarthy have in Dallas assuming bad to mediocre results? 
100% back next year.  50/50 the year after.  Gone after that.

(this is all assuming bad to mediocre results)

McCarthy is one of the worst coaches in the league... not sure I can say he is the worst as long as Gase is still employed, but he is definite bottom 5.  He was absolutely horrendous with the Packers but had Favre and then Rodgers to constantly bail him out.  

The only question is how long does it take Dallas to realize they made a huge mistake?  Since they hired him in the first place, it is apparent that their leadership is already pretty flawed, so it might take them awhile. 

He wouldn't have before Dak being injured.  Now he will.
Thanks for the clarification. 

I completely disagree. Barring some sort of wild altercation with Jerry Jones or going 0-16, I think there was no way McCarthy wasn't back for season 2 if Prescott played all season. 

McCarthy is one of the worst coaches in the league... not sure I can say he is the worst as long as Gase is still employed, but he is definite bottom 5.  He was absolutely horrendous with the Packers but had Favre and then Rodgers to constantly bail him out.  

The only question is how long does it take Dallas to realize they made a huge mistake?  Since they hired him in the first place, it is apparent that their leadership is already pretty flawed, so it might take them awhile. 
Oh stop...when he came in with Favre and the beginning of Rodgers...his offense was actually pretty damn good.  He changed some things up that they were doing...but to argue he wasn't a good coach those first several years is pretty strange IMO.  Yes...that wore off...I think he let things get stale and didn't change his ways of thinking or doing things.  Didn't adjust to how the league was adjusting to him.

Joe Bryant said:
Thanks for the clarification. 

I completely disagree. Barring some sort of wild altercation with Jerry Jones or going 0-16, I think there was no way McCarthy wasn't back for season 2 if Prescott played all season. 
Thanks for reply.  But I disagree that is why I made the bet.  With Prescott current team,  the D is a complete wreck..  They at best were going to finish 6-10 with Prescott.  With Dalton if they don't sustain any more injuries to the OL they will finish 8-8 or 9-7 and squeeze into the playoffs.  Thus keeping McCarthy's job.  Plus it's a win/win cause either way I'll be drinking beer and watching football with a buddy.

Thanks for reply.  But I disagree that is why I made the bet.  With Prescott current team,  the D is a complete wreck..  They at best were going to finish 6-10 with Prescott.  With Dalton if they don't sustain any more injuries to the OL they will finish 8-8 or 9-7 and squeeze into the playoffs.  Thus keeping McCarthy's job.  Plus it's a win/win cause either way I'll be drinking beer and watching football with a buddy.
If they go 9-7 they probably have a 3 game lead in the division and rest their players the last two weeks

Sam Quentin said:
Because it’s obvious he’s terrible.  I never got the sense that Garrett was terrible....
Garrett wasn't a good HC, but he was hamstrung by a worse GM.....helluva clapper though

Garrett wasn't a good HC, but he was hamstrung by a worse GM.....helluva clapper though
But he wasn’t obviously terrible either for a number of years...coaches can learn and improve, but Garrett’s time had run out.  McCarthy has been in the league for awhile, but he’s so obviously terrible, that there is no point In trying to develop him any further.

But he wasn’t obviously terrible either for a number of years...coaches can learn and improve, but Garrett’s time had run out.  McCarthy has been in the league for awhile, but he’s so obviously terrible, that there is no point In trying to develop him any further.
So ur saying that McCarthys success was solely based on player talent?  Garrett did less with more......he had a couple of really good teams and pissed it away......most years they were mediocre talent-wise, but clapper panicked every time he got down by a score and they'd abandon the run, become one dimensional and it would all fall apart.

So ur saying that McCarthys success was solely based on player talent?  Garrett did less with more......he had a couple of really good teams and pissed it away......most years they were mediocre talent-wise, but clapper panicked every time he got down by a score and they'd abandon the run, become one dimensional and it would all fall apart.
Yes...talent carried him....McCarthy’s flaws are apparent now, and I don’t see him improving

Yes...talent carried him....McCarthy’s flaws are apparent now, and I don’t see him improving
I'm not disagreeing that he isn't a good HC, but Garrett isn't either.....his in-game coaching was horrible......I've never seen such a calm panic on a sideline.......all clapping and smacking butts.....meanwhile inside he toast

I never said in the OP that McCarthy would be fired in Year 1, that really never occurred to me and I kind of side with Joe and whole bunch of other posters who feel that way. The reason I started this thread and wrote what I did was his Coaching Decisions, it's not so much about Dallas as some would think. 

That said, the title is really the inevitable and I figured this thread would be a good "Dallas Punchbag" for not just the Haters but the poor Dallas fan base as well. I've been to Jerry World, it'll give you a whole new perspective. I'm not really a Dallas hater, I'm not a Fan either. They run through coaches most of the time until Ginger stayed on for a decade. And I believe partly that Garrett allowed Jones what he wanted which was direct access to the coaching schemes and we saw it first hand on many behind the scenes stuff involving the Cowboys, I was pretty shocked but then again he is also the acting President of Operations or something like that so he gets to sit in on coaches meetings etc...I can't imagine the Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross sitting in with Flores on scheme designs but that's me.  

I don't like McCarthy and have always felt he got way too much credit for their Super Bowl win, he's not the only coach I think gets a free pass because they won a Super Bowl once. He professed to all this new wizardry and numbers and stats and modern stats and numbers and I just don't buy it. Now he has to deal with a back up and I think the rest of the season is going to be a lot of fun to watch from the couch. 

But the timeframe for his Dallas Run might be shorter than I imagined. 

Pip's Invitation said:
How many pages will this thread get to before McCarthy is actually fired?
This!

I would love to hear the over/under on this one. I can't see JJ admitting his mistake Year 1, would be hard year 2...this thing should have legs like an independent movie in the Summer.  

Jones wants a non-Jimmy Johnson-associated SB before he passes on. He has the team to get him to the playoffs, but the Super Bowl is not as clear a path. He's hoping McCarthy can get him there, but McCarthy is a coat-tail rider living off of two HOF QB legacies, not his own. He is no mastermind, and when the books are written, the storyline will center on how Rodgers, the most skilled player ever to play the game, and the one guy I'd want in a two-minute situation, would have more rings if he had better coaching. 

Jones? He's killed the culture in Dallas. America's Team? Sure, but not for the reasons one would think. Laughable, really.

McCarthy' story? An average coach.

Jones's story? Karma.

Updates on this?

They won't fire the guy in the first year after losing his QB...  although Andy Dalton isn't a no-name, that's not an excuse to go 4-12. Still he'd need to REALLY bottom out year 1 to get fired, I don't see it.

It’s not just his record, it’s his decisions. His play calling is atrocious. What happened to all this “I have been studying new football trends for the last year and I see the light” stuff? It’s the same old same old

They have only played one game against their terrible division. They also have winnable games against min and cin. Cowboys will probably win more than 4 games

It’s not just his record, it’s his decisions. His play calling is atrocious. What happened to all this “I have been studying new football trends for the last year and I see the light” stuff? It’s the same old same old
He lied.  He might have studied, but he isn’t smart enough to put all that studying into practice.

At some point you lose the locker room. Doesn’t matter how many years you’ve been, or haven’t been coach; who your quarterback is; what your record is, when that happens it’s time to make a change

Dallas according to their record would have the 11th pick in the Draft but because they play in the NFC East and are leading the division they actually have the 19th pick at the moment. They just cannot get kicked around enough right now. The hits just keep on coming and we are only done with 6 weeks. 

There has been ZERO talk in the media about a coaching change, I don't think Jerry has been asked what he thinks of the situation but I can't imagine a reporter asking it right now. It's possible but unlikely I think. 

Again, I still think he sails by Years 1 and 2 before Jerry would admit he made a mistake hiring Mike. 

Jerry has never kept anyone less than 2 years -- shortest was Chan Gailey at exactly 2 years. 
Here is a stat in his favor tonight...they held Murray to 9 of 24 passing which seems like a recipe for success. What team loses by 4 Touchdowns holding their opponent's starting QB in the NFL 2020 to 9 of 24 passing. If you knew Murray was 9 for 24 tonight with no other stats, you woulda been on a plane to Vegas betting the House on Dallas. 

Here is a stat in his favor tonight...they held Murray to 9 of 24 passing which seems like a recipe for success. What team loses by 4 Touchdowns holding their opponent's starting QB in the NFL 2020 to 9 of 24 passing. If you knew Murray was 9 for 24 tonight with no other stats, you woulda been on a plane to Vegas betting the House on Dallas. 
IIRC most of those misses were early in the game when both offenses looked terrible, and then ARI didn't need to throw much after they went up big. I'm not sure that stat is necessarily a function of good play by Dallas. 

Users who are viewing this thread