What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (3 Viewers)

Dallas could go 4-12 and barring some kind of crazy altercation between he and Jerry Jones, he's 100% back in 2021. Good organizations don't knee jerk a coach after one year. This isn't Cleveland. 
Dallas is NOT a good organization. Have not been for 25 years. One of a handful of teams with no conference championship game appearances in recent memory, and what, two playoff wins in 15 or so years?

Jerry hires Jimmy. Jimmy built a dynasty and won titles. The post Jimmy record is clear as day (and please spare me the Barry Switzer won a title nonsense- that was ALL Jimmy. Jerry, on his own, might be close to the Elgin Baylor of the NFL.

Per NFL Network's Jane Slater, an unnamed Cowboys player said members of the coaching staff "aren't good at their jobs."

Another player said the coaches are "totally unprepared. They don't teach. They don't have any sense of adjusting on the fly."

Per NFL Network's Jane Slater, an unnamed Cowboys player said members of the coaching staff "aren't good at their jobs."

Another player said the coaches are "totally unprepared. They don't teach. They don't have any sense of adjusting on the fly."
There was a report that McCarthy would skip walk through a for a massage and things like that. I’m not at all surprised 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/04/report-mike-mccarthy-routinely-skipped-team-meetings-for-massages/

McCarthy is the epitome of not adjusting on the fly

Last edited by a moderator:
BR on MM and it's going to get worse and worse for JJ and the Cowboys. 

JJ says "Personnel Limitations" which is code for Daisy sucks at QB. 

Could Dallas be looking for a QB trade so they can try and win a crummy division and make the playoffs even with a losing record and perhaps get embarrassed in the 1st round?

It’s not just his record, it’s his decisions. His play calling is atrocious. What happened to all this “I have been studying new football trends for the last year and I see the light” stuff? It’s the same old same old
This is the last time I’m typing this on this board

He doesn’t call plays 

Damn, not good.  But McCarthy seemed like a knee jerk hire based on his name.  As much of a #### as ARod is, it's pretty clear that McCarthy's offense was the problem.  He has so much praise for his new coaches playcalling and they're doing so much better with less weapons.  It's only a matter of time before McCarthy goes, but I think he gets another year.  This year is just a write off for everyone, and with all the coaches already fired, it's not exactly the best year to hunt for a new coach.

left tackle Brandon Knight, left guard Connor Williams, rookie center Tyler Biadasz, right guard Connor McGovern and undrafted rookie right tackle Terence Steele.

good luck

Damn, not good.  But McCarthy seemed like a knee jerk hire based on his name.  As much of a #### as ARod is, it's pretty clear that McCarthy's offense was the problem.  He has so much praise for his new coaches playcalling and they're doing so much better with less weapons.  It's only a matter of time before McCarthy goes, but I think he gets another year.  This year is just a write off for everyone, and with all the coaches already fired, it's not exactly the best year to hunt for a new coach.
Yup.  He has a built in excuse this year due to COVID and Dak’s injury.  But if they stink again next year, he won’t get another pass.

He is harble and it was never more obvious earlier in the year when not taking the 3 points.  Feel sorry for the players.  Dont feel sorry for Jerry Jones. 

Dallas is NOT a good organization. Have not been for 25 years. One of a handful of teams with no conference championship game appearances in recent memory, and what, two playoff wins in 15 or so years?

Jerry hires Jimmy. Jimmy built a dynasty and won titles. The post Jimmy record is clear as day (and please spare me the Barry Switzer won a title nonsense- that was ALL Jimmy. Jerry, on his own, might be close to the Elgin Baylor of the NFL.
Among NFL organizations, where do you rank Dallas among the 32 teams?

Perpetually overrated......always underperforming.

I thought Jerrah had taken a step back to let better football minds make decisions, but it's clear to me that GM Jerrah still can't get out of his own way.  There's always a few key pieces missing.  The secondary is garbage.  He foolishly invested too much money in offensive skill position players, and now with the injuries, the lack of depth is showing through.  I never liked the Zeke contract.  imo, that money could've been better spent to improve the team/keep guys in other areas, like maybe the secondary.

Joe Bryant said:
Really great question.  Clearly not top-10.  But also not bottom-5.   So somewhere above Cincinnati but below New England. ;)

Joe Bryant said:
Definitely overrated, living off of the moxie from the 90s to this day. The talent they’ve had and the inability to assemble top teams is a bit of a black eye that is hard to ignore. 

I won’t put an exact number to it but for now I’ll say in the 17-24 range. It’s tough because that entire division is pretty bad over the last several years. It’s telling that the Cowboys are run so badly but always in the fight for the top slot. In the last 20 years I’d say the Giants have been the best managed in that division, next Dallas, then PHI, and Washington last. However that’s not really a major vote of confidence in NY

Meh, maybe middling organization, but good QB play hides a lot of bad stuff.
It's an interesting discussion. 

A ton of how I'd rank an organization is if they're able to draft / obtain / develop a QB that plays well. 

Deamon said:
You only lost 5 linemen.  Consider yourself lucky.
You still have your main weapon at QB. Consider YOURSELF lucky. 😉
although Philly may have a few more injured players, it starts with the QB and Dak was playing lights out. It’s obvious now how great he was considering he was working with this dumpster fire Oline and defense. 

Cowboysfan8 said:
This is the last time I’m typing this on this board

He doesn’t call plays 
The knock on him the past few years in Green Bay was his inability to make adjustments at halftime. It was always the same game plan on Offense and Defense. It was maddening.

Same thing I saw yesterday, no adjustments at all, plus the players quit so that didn't help.

although Philly may have a few more injured players, it starts with the QB and Dak was playing lights out. It’s obvious now how great he was considering he was working with this dumpster fire Oline and defense. 
Agree completely. Wentz willed the Eagles to within a few points of a victory against vaunted  Pittsburgh and Baltimore while playing with an offense composed primarily of backups, projects, grocery baggers and DC that can’t coach himself out of a paper bag. 

Zeke on the other hand 🤦‍♂️

Joe Bryant said:
From founding to 1995- top five.

From 1995-2020- bottom third.

Cowboys have been living on legacy for 25 years and are remarkable for a chronic level of underachieving. As a lifelong fan who can go back to the tail end of the 70s, the contrast is stark and ghastly. A cornerstone franchise has deteriorated into a punch line. 

Eagles aren't even playing with back-ups. Heck, they aren't even playing with the back'up's back-up. They have 2 starters they grabbed from other team's practice squads on their starting offense right now, and quite a few 3rd string guys. it will be easier to see how legit they are when they get at least some of their starters back.

defense is better than most are giving them credit for. Eagles defense has had the worst starting field position for a majority of the season. Not to give them excuses though, there are certainly some holes on that defensive side too. 

Cowboys have been living on legacy for 25 years and are remarkable for a chronic level of underachieving. As a lifelong fan who can go back to the tail end of the 70s, the contrast is stark and ghastly. A cornerstone franchise has deteriorated into a punch line. 
Lifelong Cowboy fan. Agree with all of this.

a FEW?!?!

+ Peters and Reagor.  That's 16 of our most important 19 offensive players that are out.

a FEW?!?!

+ Peters and Reagor.  That's 16 of our most important 19 offensive players that are out.
Yes, but not your MOST important. But, yes you’ve made it clear in multiple forums that you have a lot of guys hurt.😂 This season sucks for a lot of our teams, but nobody has lost the whole offensive line AND their QB to season ending injury except one. 

Yes, but not your MOST important. But, yes you’ve made it clear in multiple forums that you have a lot of guys hurt.😂 This season sucks for a lot of our teams, but nobody has lost the whole offensive line AND their QB to season ending injury except one. 
Well ya, it's pretty incredible and improbable to lose 90% of your offense!  It's silly to argue 'who is affected by injuries more', and I'm mainly being facetious about the whole thing....  But if it ever came down to that debate unfortunately (for us I guess) Philly is worse off.

It's an interesting discussion. 

A ton of how I'd rank an organization is if they're able to draft / obtain / develop a QB that plays well. 
Yeah, they should deserve some credit for both Romo and Dak, and they've won their fair share of games as an organization in the last 25 years, but no more than their fair share. 4-10 playoff record with 4 wild card wins in the last 25 years. Sure, that's better than the dregs of the league, but it's not particularly good either.

Well ya, it's pretty incredible and improbable to lose 90% of your offense!  It's silly to argue 'who is affected by injuries more', and I'm mainly being facetious about the whole thing....  But if it ever came down to that debate unfortunately (for us I guess) Philly is worse off.
That’s your opinion, so it is debatable. However I see that I apparently value Wentz more than you do as the #1 part of the Eagles success, as I also value Dak more than you do as the reason for Dallas success. Unfortunately (for us I guess) the Cowboys lost him for the year.  No chance Dallas wins anything but a high draft pick now. Injuries suck.

Joe Bryant said:
Ok.  I didn't put a detailed framework together, but if I did it would include things like:

- Track record of success on the field

- Consistency and quality of coaching hires

- Consistency and quality of drafting and developing talent

- "Culture" including ownership approach

Others who think about it longer than 3 minutes could probably figure out a better framework.  But here is a stab at rankings over the past 2 decades (in no order within categories):

Elite:   New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay

Good:   Philly, New Orleans, Seattle, Indy (ok....Irsay might move this down)

Average:  Denver, NY Giants, Dallas, Atlanta, Minnesota, KC, LA Chargers

Mediocre:  Carolina, Tennessee, Chicago, Tampa Bay, San Fran, LA Rams

Struggling:   Miami, Arizona, Houston, Las Vegas, Buffalo

Permanent Train Wreck:   Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Washington, NY Jets  

Just one person's take.  No claim that the above is a definitive statement.

That’s your opinion, so it is debatable. However I see that I apparently value Wentz more than you do as the #1 part of the Eagles success, as I also value Dak more than you do as the reason for Dallas success. Unfortunately (for us I guess) the Cowboys lost him for the year.  No chance Dallas wins anything but a high draft pick now. Injuries suck.
Nah I definitely see Wentz' value.  But his own value takes a massive hit when he is missing his RB1, WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, TE1, TE2.  Dallas is missing QB1, TE1.  At least they still have 3 great receivers and a great RB.

The injuries suck for both teams for sure, it could be the Giants' year to sneak in.

Ok.  I didn't put a detailed framework together, but if I did it would include things like:

Others who think about it longer than 3 minutes could probably figure out a better framework.  But here is a stab at rankings over the past 2 decades (in no order within categories):

Permanent Train Wreck:   Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Washington, NY Jets  

That's actually a great list.  I wouldn't move too much there.  I think a lot of your "struggling" are on the upswing though and could move up quickly in the list with their new coaches and QB's.

Perhaps, but Dalton won you the game last week.  This week? Those fumbles put the team in a hole - and everything fell apart.

It's premature to write off Dallas because of that - Zeke isn't going to fumble the game away most weeks, and Dalton is good enough to keep them in the game if they don't put it all on him.

The bigger issue isn't losing Dak, it's that defense.  If the defense can turn it around, Dallas will win the division. If not.....

Jerry Jones.....a visionary businessman and a below average NFL GM.  The legacy of his ownership is marred by disrespecting Landry, and running Jimmy outa town.......and obviously his subsequent platueing into mediocrity.  In some ways it doesn't matter.  He has an empire whether the Cowboys win or not, but he's driven to get the credit for football success, and that's his downfall.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

I was so, so wrong about this hire. If they wanted someone to lose just enough to never separate themselves in the worst division in football, they could have kept Garrett.

To me, when judging an organization, you have to factor in whether players actually want to play there. The Cowboys have state-of-the-art facilities, and by all accounts they treat their players well (they don't cheap out on the little things). Jones has a lot of influence in the league. There's still prestige associated with playing in Dallas. 

I think they're basically New England without the winning. That sounds absurd to a fan, where winning is all that matters. But football is a business. The team has players who sell jerseys. To the other players I think Dallas is still a very attractive destination. And that makes them a solid organization, even if they're an unsuccessful one.

Perhaps, but Dalton won you the game last week.  This week? Those fumbles put the team in a hole - and everything fell apart.

It's premature to write off Dallas because of that - Zeke isn't going to fumble the game away most weeks, and Dalton is good enough to keep them in the game if they don't put it all on him.

The bigger issue isn't losing Dak, it's that defense.  If the defense can turn it around, Dallas will win the division. If not.....
Good point. But even if the defense turns it around and they win the division, then what? They can't hang with Seattle. Maybe New Orleans on a bad Brees day. Maybe Green Bay if they lay an egg like they did last weekend. But if those teams bring even their C+ game, an improved Dallas defense still can't keep up with them. They could beat Chicago, I guess. But Foles is weird. You can't count him out of anything (or in anything). 

And that doesn't count the AFC. What likely playoff team in the AFC could they beat? Buffalo? Indy? 

If you have a historically-bad defense, you'd better have a superior offense or amazing coaching. Dallas has neither. Elliott is wasting his prime years in Dallas. 

Thanks. I think stuff like this is super interesting. 

Great post Alex. Great read and I was going to make a counterpoint but I think your list is spot on 

The only thing I question is New England at the top w 26 mil in cap space doing nothing. However that's this year and your list is for 20 years. 

Agreed. One of the best posts in the shark pool I've ever seen 
This thread is a good example of what a board can be. 

Most threads, on any topic, are pretty predictable.

Poster #1 says something.

Poster #2 disagrees.

Poster #1 replies.

Poster #2 replies this time adding a bit of snark or condescension implying poster #1 is maybe a Homer / Troll / Doesn't Know What They're Talking About

Then others chime in with mostly: "No, actually _________ is awesome."

Followed by, "No, actually __________ is terrible".

What we did here was break the cycle. This was headed for 2 more pages of Dallas Sucks vs Dallas Is Good.

Turning it into "Let's talk about how Dallas fits into the ranking among the 32 teams" is like laying down a 7 letter word in the middle of a scrabble board. You can build off it and talk about things and move the discussion way more into rational talk comparing where a team ranks by actually considering the other teams instead of staying at the surface level of "Dallas rules / Dallas sucks". 

We can do this. 

Users who are viewing this thread