What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Here we go again: "Delta worker to dad: Give up the seat you bought, or go to jail!" (1 Viewer)

I'm still confused here... Did they pay for the older kid's seat 2x or just change it to an earlier flight?  I can understand the frustration of the dad if he paid for the older son twice and didn't understand that the ticket had to be for the person on the ticket (that would make him a moron, but I can still see it happening).  If they just changed the older son to an earlier flight and then though that seat would still be empty then he is an ubermoron rather than just a moron.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are assuming he just changed the kids flight with a change seat.  I doubt that's what happened and why the dad was upset, even though he still made a mistake.  It seems that they made the initial flight over with the youngest kid in their laps.  When that didn't go well, they decided it would be best for the young child to have his own seat.  I'm assuming no seats were available, so he bought another ticket for his older kid on an earlier flight in order to have the seat for his infant.  What he didn't realize, I'm sure, is that the name needed to match since the moment his older kid doesn't board that seat is being made available to people on standby. 

I understand Delta refusing to allow him to do so (likely due to regulations, but even if not, he didn't do it correctly).  What was wrong was threatening the Dad with jail and also lying that the kid couldn't be in a car seat during takeoff when the exact opposite is true (they encourage it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but only three seats for the flight in question.  One ticket went for a seat on an earlier flight. 
Correct, and they were only allowing him to use two of the three once the oldest son didn't board.  That was his problem with the scenario and I can understand where he's coming from but also understand that when a person doesn't board, they forfeit that seat whether its paid for or not.  Delta could have done a much better job explaining that to him.

Correct, and they were only allowing him to use two of the three once the oldest son didn't board.  That was his problem with the scenario and I can understand where he's coming from but also understand that when a person doesn't board, they forfeit that seat whether its paid for or not.  Delta could have done a much better job explaining that to him.
Agreed.  I already mentioned that the flight attendant was a doosh.  But I don't think dad-dude was innocent here either. 

Agreed.  I already mentioned that the flight attendant was a doosh.  But I don't think dad-dude was innocent here either. 
Some are implying he was trying to "game the system" by not paying for all seats being used or doing some kind of change seat maneuver.  I don't think that's the case at all.  As I explained above, I think he truly didn't realize that they don't get to keep the seat when their son no longer is on that flight.  And if you're not aware of that, I can understand the frustration.  Add in the situation, traveling with two young children on an overnight flight trying to get back home, and I think under the circumstances he wasn't a tool at all as some of you here are calling him. 

So if I wanted to buy up every seat on a flight so I have the entire cabin to myself, I can't do that? The skybiches would seat people on standby in the seats that I paid for?

So if I wanted to buy up every seat on a flight so I have the entire cabin to myself, I can't do that? The skybiches would seat people on standby in the seats that I paid for?
Right, that was the analogy I was about to use.  His assumption was that since they paid for the seat, it's theirs whether or not their son boards (i.e. he can lay down and sleep).  But I'm pretty sure that once you don't board, that seat is opened back up for standby whether you paid for it or not.

And if the Delta folks had explained that, I think things may have gone differently.  He probably decides to keep the kid on his lap and they move on.  But when they start threatening jail and start telling him that infants can't ride in a car seat (completely false), it escalated the situation where he dug down deeper and ultimately got his whole family kicked off the flight.

gianmarco said:
Completely disagree.  Dad was pretty calm, and traveling with two young children on a red eye, not sure how anyone could be expected to respond any better when being told they need to get off the plane.

What makes him a tool?
He was asked to give up JUST the one seat.  That is really weird, since regular standby rules are such that a general announcement is made that there is an overbooking, they are going to pay for someone to volunteer, etc. etc.  And, when this happened last time with the doctor getting dragged off, the general rules were published indicating that families traveling with young children were generally not asked to give up a seat. 

So why was this guy in particular focused on?  So something else had to be going on.  I'd be really surprised if this was a normal "bumping" kind of thing.  BEST case scenario, he paid for a fourth seat in his older kids name, and his older kid was nowhere to be seen.  If you or I do something like that, we know that we are in the wrong, but we still try and pull it through, but we probably aren't d^cks about it.  Because we know this isn't within the bounds of the rules. And if we get called on it ("I'm sorry sir, you can't pay for the ticket for one son who isn't here and then put your other son in the seat"), we probably are a little abashed, maybe push just a little, but at the end of the day, not following rules is not following rules.

This HAD to be a middle aged white guy, probably a former bro, who is used to getting his way if he pushed hard enough. 

I'm sure I could be wrong.  

Also, "calm" doesn't necessarily equal "not a #####."

Also the POLICE looked like they were there.  At some point, you may want to back down, dude.  Just put the kid in your lap. 

Right, that was the analogy I was about to use.  His assumption was that since they paid for the seat, it's theirs whether or not their son boards (i.e. he can lay down and sleep).  But I'm pretty sure that once you don't board, that seat is opened back up for standby whether you paid for it or not.

And if the Delta folks had explained that, I think things may have gone differently.  He probably decides to keep the kid on his lap and they move on.  But when they start threatening jail and start telling him that infants can't ride in a car seat (completely false), it escalated the situation where he dug down deeper and ultimately got his whole family kicked off the flight.
This video isn't the beginning of the confrontation, it's the end.  We have no idea how it went.  The police are already there. 

OK, thanks, but he article sure does not make that clear (that they bought 3 tickets for one flight and 1 ticket for another flight). Where did you get that from?
Once a ticketed passenger does not show up for a flight (in this case the son who flew earlier), the airline has the right to resell the seat.  It's sort of hard to believe that the dad didn't understand this.   

OK, thanks, but he article sure does not make that clear (that they bought 3 tickets for one flight and 1 ticket for another flight). Where did you get that from?
Once a ticketed passenger does not show up for a flight (in this case the son who flew earlier), the airline has the right to resell the seat.  It's sort of hard to believe that the dad didn't understand this.
OK, but that isn't what I asked.

Some are implying he was trying to "game the system" by not paying for all seats being used or doing some kind of change seat maneuver.  I don't think that's the case at all.  As I explained above, I think he truly didn't realize that they don't get to keep the seat when their son no longer is on that flight.  And if you're not aware of that, I can understand the frustration.  Add in the situation, traveling with two young children on an overnight flight trying to get back home, and I think under the circumstances he wasn't a tool at all as some of you here are calling him. 
No way in hell he doesn't know that. I'm a blazing idiot, I don't have kids that age anymore, I have no reason to look up the rule (like he would if he made the last minute changes), and even I know that.  Anybody who flies knows that you can't buy a ticket in one person's name and then give the ticket to another person to fly.

I would have stayed on the flight and made the trip an utter ####### nightmare for the poor sapp stuck in the seat and the flight attendants. I'm talking diaper changes, vomit, the works. This is horse ####. Did they refund the guy this money for the seat or give him a voucher?  Airlines and insurance companies can both blow me. Worst industries ever. 

I would have stayed on the flight and made the trip an utter ####### nightmare for the poor sapp stuck in the seat and the flight attendants. I'm talking diaper changes, vomit, the works. This is horse ####. Did they refund the guy this money for the seat or give him a voucher?  Airlines and insurance companies can both blow me. Worst industries ever. 
Great way to act when you're wrong :thumbup:

Great way to act when you're wrong :thumbup:
"Oooo. But the fine print!  Our profits!  #### this guy and his whole family."  

What ever happened to customer service?  Just drop the charade and  get rid of the seats all together and push everybody into a pile on the floor. 

"Oooo. But the fine print!  Our profits!  #### this guy and his whole family."  

What ever happened to customer service?  Just drop the charade and  get rid of the seats all together and push everybody into a pile on the floor. 
Fine print? I'm pretty confident most people know that the name the seat is purchased under, is the name that must use the seat. Any airline I've flown makes that abundantly clear.

Threads like these always show you which posters actually bother to read the story. I hate the airlines as much as anyone. But Delta was in the right here. The seat belongs to the passenger whose name is on the ticket. The named passenger no-showed for the flight. The dad either (A) Knows this this and is being a manipulative d-bag or (B) Is the stupidest MFer on earth.

Threads like these always show you which posters actually bother to read the story. I hate the airlines as much as anyone. But Delta was in the right here. The seat belongs to the passenger whose name is on the ticket. The named passenger no-showed for the flight. The passenger either (A) Knows this this and is being a manipulative d-bag or (B) Is the stupidest MFer on earth.
Or the airline might as well be staffed by robots (guess what's coming!) for the amount of critical thought they allow their moron employees to apply to situations.  

A guy I work with is probably pushing 380 lbs.  He flew to Rome last year and told me he bought 2 tickets.  Why couldn't the dad have just bought a 2nd seat for himself and put the kid in it?

A guy I work with is probably pushing 380 lbs.  He flew to Rome last year and told me he bought 2 tickets.  Why couldn't the dad have just bought a 2nd seat for himself and put the kid in it?
Because he already bought that seat for his other son and his name was etched in blood on the ticket. 

Great. I don't think it is a good rule either but that doesn't mean ####. Follow the airlines rules or get kicked off. It's pretty simple for 99.99% of people.
We all have to stop being sheep for this ####. Do you think it's a good business decision for the airline to say "We have full profit on this flight. We can help a customer out and hopefully he'll be loyal or we can screw him for $400 more plus the millions of PR fallout.  Let's screw the guy!"  Ultimately we are headed for 1 airline conglomerate (EAD Air) and it won't matter. But we don't have to take this ####. You wouldn't put up with it in any other industry.  Why air travel?  

Eta, I don't really get worked up over things but I hate air travel and airlines. So. Much. 

What article are you guys reading that said he bought 4 seats on this flight and there were only three of them on the plane?

We all have to stop being sheep for this ####. Do you think it's a good business decision for the airline to say "We have full profit on this flight. We can help a customer out and hopefully he'll be loyal or we can screw him for $400 more plus the millions of PR fallout.  Let's screw the guy!"  Ultimately we are headed for 1 airline conglomerate (EAD Air) and it won't matter. But we don't have to take this ####. You wouldn't put up with it in any other industry.  Why air travel?  

Eta, I don't really get worked up over things but I hate air travel and airlines. So. Much. 
I'm taking full credit for this.   :yes:

Why should the standby customer get screwed if there is an empty seat?  Isn't his loyalty important too?

(and again, I wish it was crystal clear whether he purchased an extra ticket for the earlier flight - everyone seems to be assuming one way or the other here)

Why should the standby customer get screwed if there is an empty seat?  Isn't his loyalty important too?

(and again, I wish it was crystal clear whether he purchased an extra ticket for the earlier flight - everyone seems to be assuming one way or the other here)
According to the article he did have an extra seat, though in the name of his other son whom he bought yet another seat for him to go home early. 

Letter of the law, airline is ok. Still massive  di cks though. 

Fine print? I'm pretty confident most people know that the name the seat is purchased under, is the name that must use the seat. Any airline I've flown makes that abundantly clear.
Stop being ridiculous.  The guy wasn't putting some completely random person that hadn't bought a ticket on the plane.  It's his under 2 year old son who flies for free sitting in his lap.  His thinking, while faulty, was that he had already purchased the seat for his older son and it would be available so that he can not keep the infant on his lap and instead put him in that paid for seat, not realizing it would be given to someone on standby.  In fact, if there were no standby passengers on this flight, that would have happened without any issue whatsoever because the infant was checked in and boarded and it would be completely fine to use the available seat in a car seat.

There's a thread dedicated to things everyone should know but don't.  If you don't travel often, I can completely see someone not knowing that your paid seat will be given to someone on standby if you don't show up.  And that simple explanation could have been given to him and I would venture to say that he would be far more likely to "give in" with that explanation.  The explanation you DON'T give is "you're going to jail, your wife is going to jail, and your kids are going to be taken from you if you don't give us that seat".  Or an explanation that an infant can't ride in a car seat when your airline not only allows it but ####### recommends it.

I mean, the guy seemingly spent extra money on a ticket for his older son so that that seat would be available.  That happened prior to this flight.  He wasn't trying to scam anyone.  It seems far more likely that he didn't realize that seat would be given away when his oldest didn't board or else he wouldn't have bothered buying an extra ticket.  When you watch the video, his main argument is "I paid for that seat" and it seems he really didn't understand or know that how he went about it was incorrect.  I just don't understand why some of you can't see that even a reasonable person may not know that if they don't travel often (or even if they do). 

oh come on.  He is completely wrong and holding up an entire flight because of his ignorance.  He needs to take responsibility for that.  Cry me a river that you are an idiot that thought it would be a good idea to travel with two small children on a red eye.  He should have his head checked for ever thinking that would work.  

Not even a Grade A ######## is going to do a "change seat" and still claim that the seat they changed from is still theirs.  I'd say there's a > 99% chance the Dad bought the older son another ticket with the idea that the empty seat could be used to put his already traveling infant instead of in his lap.

According to the article he did have an extra seat, though in the name of his other son whom he bought yet another seat for him to go home early. 

Letter of the law, airline is ok. Still massive  di cks though. 

I haven't read through all the comments...  I found it odd the video was edited, though. I'd like to see the uncut version.  There's plenty of downtime in what was released, so Im inclined to believe what was cut out doesn't help the dad's argument. 

I mean, the guy seemingly spent extra money on a ticket for his older son so that that seat would be available.
Is this a fact? I would think he did not buy a last minute ticket for his 18yr old but instead paid a change fee to get him on the earlier flight.

You're kidding right?  What did the poor guy that got the seat do wrong.  You are a complete tool for having this attitude.  

so now every scammer out there starts not buying a seat in hopes that their kid gets to fly for free????? This a terrible idea on so many levels.   

You have no idea what the #### your are talking about. Re read. Come back. 
So I inferred by your statement you think they should have gave him the seat correct?  If that is the case go ahead and read my comment .  If not, I inferred incorrectly.

What article are you guys reading that said he bought 4 seats on this flight and there were only three of them on the plane?
This article says he bought 4 seats. I've seen no article saying he bought 3 seats on one plane and 1 seat on another plane.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/05/03/delta-allegedly-threatens-family-jail/

Schear was flying with his wife, his young son and daughter after a family vacation. The family bought four tickets.

Doug B said:
Don't know about nowadays, but on a round trip I took with my then-one-year-old daughter in 2004 ... she had her own seat (nestled in a car seat) on the way there, and sat on my lap (car seat checked) on the way home.
If they bought the seat for their child, then sure. But they didn't.

They bought it for their teen son, who they then put on another flight. Rather than pay a change fee, they just assumed they could use the seat for their younger child. Since the owner of the seat (their teenage son) was a no-show, a stand-by passenger got the seat.

Their refusal to give the seat up puts them in the wrong. Delta could have/should have handled it better, but the family is the jackass here.

This article says he bought 4 seats. I've seen no article saying he bought 3 seats on one plane and 1 seat on another plane.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/05/03/delta-allegedly-threatens-family-jail/
If he bought 4 seats, he then took the 4th seat for his older son and bought him another seat on a different plane. Because they didn't pay a change fee to transfer the seat the 4th seat they "bought" was a no show. They incorrectly assumed since they bought 4 seats anyone can use those 4 seats.

Federal law requires the person who's name is on the ticket, sit in the seat. Since they checked in with only 3 people they lost that 4th seat per airline policy, and it was given to a standby. There was no way any airline could allow anyone else to sit in that seat. 

So I inferred by your statement you think they should have gave him the seat correct?  If that is the case go ahead and read my comment .  If not, I inferred incorrectly.
Do I think they should they have allowed him to fill a seat he bought for one son with another son?  Absolutely. 

Anecdote time. My wife and two kids and I missed a flight because we were stupid. I knew we would miss it so I called the airline. The ###### who answered the phone told  me it would cost me 1200 to rebook.  We rushed to the airport, missed the flight, and the woman who helped us was excited when she heard my son was born on Christmas and rebooked us for free.  The rules are stupid. Airlines can accommodate but they have lost their purpose we all need to push back until they figure it out again   

Users who are viewing this thread