What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about baseball this year? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on MLB 2020

• Can't wait for the season

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • Still pretty excited for the season

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Apathetic about having a season or not

Votes: 162 68.6%

• Total voters
That is fine, but you live in NY according to you profile.  I don't believe the Mets and Yankees are operating at a break even pace either, but for some teams like the Marlins, Royals, Pirates, etc., that is much closer to the truth than people want to believe.  Do they stand to make buttloads of money when they sell the team for a 400% profit?  absolutely.  But most of these sports owners get their millions from other sources.
Yeah, the Royals under the old owner was to basically break even. Some years they lost money, and some years they made money.

What sucks is the Royals changed ownership this past winter. I feel bad for the new ownership group. You wait a lifetime for that opportunity and in year one you lose your ###.

This is gonna hurt the Royals bad for a long time in my opinion.

Seriously?
The league brings in more revenue from television than they do from gate revenue.  The overall TV revenue is greater than the total of player payrolls.  That TV revenue is weighted towards postseason, so the TV revenue they're bringing in won't be prorated the same way that player salaries would be. 

Both sides lose a lot of money by not getting a product on the field, both in the short term and especially the long term.

The league brings in more revenue from television than they do from gate revenue.  The overall TV revenue is greater than the total of player payrolls.  That TV revenue is weighted towards postseason, so the TV revenue they're bringing in won't be prorated the same way that player salaries would be. 

Both sides lose a lot of money by not getting a product on the field, both in the short term and especially the long term.
Link?

The owners are billionaires, many of whom inherited the team and never worked a real day in their life.. and probably hit .212 in Little League. Screw the owners. If they take a loss this one year while sitting in their skybox. I'm fine with that. 

Why I love the Royals:

1. They are paying their minor leaguers for the whole year.

2. Their nearly 150 employees will not have any layoffs, furloughs, or take pay cuts. Higher level employees will take tiered cuts, but the Royals plan to repay them when greater revenues come in hopefully next year.

Per Jeff Passan and Jon Heyman. 

I'm sure the players fall under another category, but good to see the Royals taking care of their employees. 

Manfred is doing everything he can to let the owners completely destroy minor league baseball. What a complete tool. 

MLB average attendance was over 28,000 last year. Start doing the math. 

If they’re playing without fans player salaries should be prorated accordingly. 

Plus minor leaguers are getting released and prior to that many make like Target stock boy salaries.

That is a bigger issue for the players.

@Ken_Rosenthal

MLB rejected the union’s proposal for a 114-game season and said it would not send a counter, sources tell The Athletic. The league said it has started talks with owners about playing a shorter season without fans, and that it is ready to discuss additional ideas with the union.

Owners floated a 50 game schedule :lmao:

Gtfo here. If my son can play all summer these players can

Stop the BS money dispute and get back on the field. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Owners floated a 50 game schedule :lmao:

Gtfo here. If my son can play all summer these players can

Stop the BS money dispute and get back on the field. 
yeah :lol:  

I am in the "they play too many games" camp, but 50?  That's hilarious.

Anything less than 80-90 is a non-starter if you ask me.

I don't think there will be a season.

Pretty clear at this point neither the owners nor players REALLY want to play this year.  Feel bad for the non-stars who will absolutely miss the salary this year.

Ultimately though MLB can go collectively hump themselves at this point.

I haven't done any research but last I heard is owners floated 76 games, plus expanded playoff teams and 76% of the salary.. Considering it would less then half the season trying to understand the players argument against :confused:  

I haven't done any research but last I heard is owners floated 76 games, plus expanded playoff teams and 76% of the salary.. Considering it would less then half the season trying to understand the players argument against :confused:  
I think the players made concessions back in the spring and the owners want more concessions.   I'll side with the millionaires over the billionaires.  I'm sure some of the players are greedy but I'm positive all of the owners are greedy bastards.

I think the players made concessions back in the spring and the owners want more concessions.   I'll side with the millionaires over the billionaires.  I'm sure some of the players are greedy but I'm positive all of the owners are greedy bastards.
They all suck.  But the players not making 8 figures/year are the ones getting screwed more than anyone.

Listened to an interview with some baseball writer who made a lot of sense.

Basically said the league can set a season with something like 48 games. This is negotiated already and this will be what will happen.

Owners say they are losing money without fans in the stands if they do a longer season but at a 48 game season they will come closer to breaking even so they have no incentive to do a longer season. 

Players will be able to choose not to play but will lose out on service time and not get paid. 

He gave some legit reasons for players not to want to play and for the players union to stand their ground and not agree to these deals the league is giving them. But again the league has the ability to mandate this 48 or so game season under the current labor deal.

He was very confident there will be this short season.

I’m probably messing up some of the details a bit but this was the gist and he made a lot of sense.

No one wants to talk about cheating now. It’s weird. It was the only thing anyone cared about for the longest time. 

Listened to an interview with some baseball writer who made a lot of sense.

Basically said the league can set a season with something like 48 games. This is negotiated already and this will be what will happen.

Owners say they are losing money without fans in the stands if they do a longer season but at a 48 game season they will come closer to breaking even so they have no incentive to do a longer season. 

Players will be able to choose not to play but will lose out on service time and not get paid. 

He gave some legit reasons for players not to want to play and for the players union to stand their ground and not agree to these deals the league is giving them. But again the league has the ability to mandate this 48 or so game season under the current labor deal.

He was very confident there will be this short season.

I’m probably messing up some of the details a bit but this was the gist and he made a lot of sense.

No one wants to talk about cheating now. It’s weird. It was the only thing anyone cared about for the longest time. 
When the 48 games start up we'll start pointing out again what a bunch of crap your favorite team is, snowflake.

I hate the Yankees too but you need to get over your team being made an example.  

When the 48 games start up we'll start pointing out again what a bunch of crap your favorite team is, snowflake.

I hate the Yankees too but you need to get over your team being made an example.  
So you don’t want to talk about it either. K thx for proving my point. 

So you don’t want to talk about it either. K thx for proving my point. 
We talked about it for 2 months.  Want to keep talking about it?  Your favorite team led the league in cheating and won a WS doing it.  Other teams probably did too.  Your favorite team was made an example.  What's left to say?

Commissioner can force them to play 48 game season but at 100% salary. I don't exactly know why. Anyway, the 76 games at 80% salary proposal basically means players should be playing 28 games for free. 

Regardless, I just can't believe how much both sides have ####ed things up. #### baseball. Was my favorite sport. 

Commissioner can force them to play 48 game season but at 100% salary. I don't exactly know why. Anyway, the 76 games at 80% salary proposal basically means players should be playing 28 games for free. 

Regardless, I just can't believe how much both sides have ####ed things up. #### baseball. Was my favorite sport. 
 Maybe I'm misreading but... regular season is 161 games.. getting 80% of your salary for playing less the 50% of those games seems like a pretty good pay out to me.. :shrug:

at this point I've given up.   my team {Royals} was going to be garbage anyway, I'm fine if they don't play.  a 80 game season and huge playoffs is a super lame season anyway.   I've attended 10 plus games a year for the past 30 years.... i think I'm good with a break.  

Apologies if this belongs in the baseball forum, but this seems to be worth having the wider discussion - 

What are your thoughts regarding the labor stalemate in MLB?  Do you blame the players, the owners or both?  Personally, I see both sides of the argument, but I side with the players. The owners have done well for years and have the chance to increase the value of their franchises significantly while not being willing to give a little in the short term. Most MLB players do not make 1M a year and have a limited earnings window so I get where asking the players to take more than a 50% cut in salary starts to become an issue. 

I was looking forward to baseball 2020, particularly fantasy, but now I am in a place like - come get me if it actually happens and until then, who cares?  Just wondering how others feel about MLB these days. 
The owners are being way too selfish here. They are also arrogant to the issue. Baseball is losing fans by the year and the owners think the minute they start playing fans will instantly comeback which I don't think is the case. The proposals by the owners have been insulting at best with zero concern about the players safety and how'd they handle players needing to leave. There's players like Bryce Harper who just had a baby born who may not want to leave. There's another Phillies player who's wife is expecting during the season. Many teams have players on either side of this so how's that gonna be dealt with? 

Fantasy wise I lost my keeper league I was in for 8 yrs. It was the first fantasy baseball I ever did and it was free. Thanks to the patients and help by the group I became really good and went from last to winning the league in a few yrs and was in the title hunt 3 out of the last 4 yrs (Last year being a throw away with a rebuild and injuries to many key players I had). At this point I say screw fantasy if the season comes back cool but won't sweat it. Was looking forward to Harper's second year in Red PinStrips and was curious what would happen with Wheeler and some of the new pick ups. 

I will be looking to set up a keeper/Dynasty league next year in baseball for those who might be interested. 

Also for those squabbling about players not giving up money many like Trout and Harper have donated some of their salary to help staff of the organizations plus the minor leaguers already. So it's not like they aren't making some sacrifices already. The players are paying staff members where these teams who refuse to pay the staff don't even want to pay their own players. Theres something seriously wrong when the Players are willing to do the right thing but owners won't. 

So, sounds like force players to play half a season and battle it out in court during the shortened season might be the plan.. Which will just add extra bad blood to next years talks on a new contract... Might be 2022 before a full season happens again at the rate.  :angry:

Seems simple to me, but I’m a simple man. Figure out what the percentage of profit has been paid to the payers for the last X number of years. Pay that rate at a pro rated clip. 

Seems simple to me, but I’m a simple man. Figure out what the percentage of profit has been paid to the payers for the last X number of years. Pay that rate at a pro rated clip. 
Thats just it. The owners don't seem willing to share that information when you consider tv and media rights, merchandising etc.

I'm more angry about elimination of ~40 minor league baseball teams, just so each franchise can save around $750K per year.

We really need some new, better baseball movies. I love baseball. In this years absence I've REwatched:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

What am I missing to feed the sandlot jones?

Thats just it. The owners don't seem willing to share that information when you consider tv and media rights, merchandising etc.
Anyone surprised? The owners many are the same ones who turned a blind eye during the juiced players era along with many of the writers themselves. All for a quick buck and to get fans back they lost after the strike shortened 94 season 

We really need some new, better baseball movies. I love baseball. In this years absence I've REwatched:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

The Sandlot?

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

Bull Durham for sure. 

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 

Users who are viewing this thread