What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about baseball this year? (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on MLB 2020

• Can't wait for the season

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • Still pretty excited for the season

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Apathetic about having a season or not

Votes: 162 68.6%

• Total voters
We really need some new, better baseball movies. I love baseball. In this years absence I've REwatched:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

What am I missing to feed the sandlot jones?
Brockmire

We really need some new, better baseball movies. I love baseball. In this years absence I've REwatched:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

Long Gone

Bull Durham

For Love of the Game

The Rookie

Cjw_55106 said:
Ok, I wasn’t aware that wasn’t public. I don’t have an issue with that. It’s their private business. 
Absolutely true that it is their private business and they don't have to share that information, BUT it is tough to claim poverty and losing money while only telling part of the story.

Joe Mammy said:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

Eight Men Out

Cobb

Fear Strikes Out

The Pride of the Yankees

Eight Men Out

Cobb

Fear Strikes Out

The Pride of the Yankees
I haven't seen Fear Strikes Out in probably 50 years, thanks! 

Quick story, my dad took me to an Old Timers Game in Yankee stadium when I was about 10. After the OTG they played a regular game against the Red Sox. We were in about the third row in right field. Reggie Smith was the Sox right fielder. There was a very loud mouth Yankee fan sitting right behind us. Smith wore #7 and the fan kept yelling at the top of his lungs whenever Smith was in earshot, "hey #7, wasn't that Piersall's number? Hey Crazy #7, you're just like Piersall- you're nuts!" Over and over throughout the game. 

I had just seen the movie and all I could think of was Anthony Perkins climbing the backstop crazily. I also looked up his number, it was #24. Crazy the little things you remember...

@JeffPassan: BREAKING: MLB commissioner Rob Manfred tells @Espngreeny that he’s “not confident” there will be a 2020 baseball season. “Unfortunately," Manfred said, "I can’t tell you that I’m a 100% certain that’s gonna happen.”

News at @espn: https://es.pn/37ysZDF

@ToddFuhrman: UPDATED: Commissioner Power Ratings

1) Dana White
2) Roger Goodell
3) Gary Bettman
4) Don Garber
5) Adam Silver
97) Rob Manfred

Joe Mammy said:

It Happens Every Spring

Mr. Baseball

The Natural

Field of Dreams

Bad News Bears

Damn Yankees

Major League

In addition to the others mentioned, 42. 

I'm glad, baseball is boring anyway, and the rampant cheating and no salary cap means that smaller market teams are not going to be able to compete. Just as well, the NHL can fill the gap for this year anyway.

I'm glad, baseball is boring anyway, and the rampant cheating and no salary cap means that smaller market teams are not going to be able to compete. Just as well, the NHL can fill the gap for this year anyway.
Gotta say I'm not missing MLB (or NBA for that matter) as much as I miss going to concerts.  Completely ambivalent about baseballs return.

The owners are a bunch of greedy liars and the players are whiney babies.

Would love to see a season as a yankees fan, but anything they won this year would be tainted anyway.

Whatever. Let them all stay home for all I care. 

As much as I hope the players continue to not let the owners get away with all this ####, part of me wants them to figure it out because this Mets team is just so likeable and fun to watch play that I really miss being able to do so. 

The owners are a bunch of greedy liars and the players are whiney babies.

Would love to see a season as a yankees fan, but anything they won this year would be tainted anyway.

Whatever. Let them all stay home for all I care. 
That's how I feel now. Don't really give a #### at this point. 

The sport is dying anyways and in the era of COVID-19 thIs may be its deathknell.
They're going to have to bring the juiced ball/steroids and a home run record race back again if they don't have a season this year.

I would like to see baseball this year, but it's not that big of a deal to me.  My dad and few of my friends are big baseball fans, and I would feel bad for them if there isn't a season.

Yeah, the salaries for the top players continue to sky rocket, which would SEEM to be an indicator of growth.

Of course, the owners have been saving a bunch of $$ in recent years by wising up and no longer giving guys that are 33 years old 5 year contracts, so who knows.

The fact that most of the league doesn't hit true free agency until they turn like 28 years old (due to the absurd amount of team control/arbitration years) is a pretty good indicator that the owners hold the power in this relationship.  So I can't totally blame the players for trying to get some power back. The next CBA negotiations are going to be an absolute blood bath.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole there:

“Gross revenues for the league were $10.7 billion for 2019, up from $10.3 billion last year, according to industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. That marks the 17th consecutive year that MLB has seen record growth”

Link
The most concerning data points involve age demo's. The death of baseball talk is forecasting related. 

The scary part, in some ways, is that baseball is best option other than "sports" like NASCAR to return safely. I don't know how basketball could be safe for the players. Hockey and football at least have protective clothing.

They're going to have to bring the juiced ball/steroids and a home run record race back again if they don't have a season this year.
THe number of home runs and strikeouts has become so absurd to me that it's not a sport I recognize much anymore vs. one from as recently as 5-8 years ago.

Kind of similar to how NBA 3 pointers have exploded and NFL passing numbers are now super inflated

It's interesting to me how things have evolved so much in these sports in a short time frame...   But none of these changes make for a better game or are suited to my interests though.

The scary part, in some ways, is that baseball is best option other than "sports" like NASCAR to return safely. I don't know how basketball could be safe for the players. Hockey and football at least have protective clothing.
I don't think we're going to see most team sports for quite a while, in this environment.

My 11 year old son loves PLAYING baseball. Is on a travel team and little league team. NEVER watches it. Doesn't even know what a batting average is. 
Odd. I played from 6 to my senior year in high school and I always knew what my batting average was :shrug:  

How much is because of inflation and skyrocketing of ticket/merchandise prices?
Like any numbers you can play with them but this is from the Forbes article: 

"Since 1992, when Bud Selig took over as commissioner on a full-time basis, league gross revenues have grown from $1.2 billion, an 386% increase when accounting for inflation"

That the owners don't want to open their books and that whenever a team goes up for sale rich dudes are knocking themselves out to buy the teams tell me they are still good investments.

I don't think we're going to see most team sports for quite a while, in this environment.
You're probably right.

"Since 1992, when Bud Selig took over as commissioner on a full-time basis, league gross revenues have grown from $1.2 billion, an 386% increase when accounting for inflation"

That the owners don't want to open their books and that whenever a team goes up for sale rich dudes are knocking themselves out to buy the teams tell me they are still good investments.
Sports teams are the real status symbol of choice among the elite. 

Even minor league teams get interest. I'm not sure if they're good investments or just fun toys.

That's certainly true, though the ongoing disaster that is Manfred's tenure would seem to give some people pause, though that's likely just me.

You're probably right.

Sports teams are the real status symbol of choice among the elite. 

Even minor league teams get interest. I'm not sure if they're good investments or just fun toys.
I think they are both. Probably better ways to make a buck but they aren't losing money on these for sure and there aren't many of them.

More Van Goghs for sale than MLB teams.

Theses guys really blew it. They could be playing right now and absolutely dominating tv when people are still desperate for sports and something different on tv.

It’s be interesting to know exactly how the tv contracts are setup, because all these networks and regional sports networks that are being forced to show old games and movies have to be plenty unhappy about that. If I were them, I’m not sure I’d be as willing to shell out as much money in the next contract knowing that the league is such a mess that they’d screw me over if something like this happened again.

Theses guys really blew it. They could be playing right now and absolutely dominating tv when people are still desperate for sports and something different on tv.

It’s be interesting to know exactly how the tv contracts are setup, because all these networks and regional sports networks that are being forced to show old games and movies have to be plenty unhappy about that. If I were them, I’m not sure I’d be as willing to shell out as much money in the next contract knowing that the league is such a mess that they’d screw me over if something like this happened again.
Seriously, what a huge cluster.  

From what I read, they will have a season, the players will make bank, the owners will make more bank.

A longer season without fans in the stands wasn’t profitable for the owners so it was never going to happen unless the players gave them some crazy concessions.

I want to know the details of what happens if a player on a team gets Covid. What do they do?

This goes for all sports.

Sounds like it will be a 60-65 game season at full prorated pay. 
Huh.  I wonder if this makes fantasy baseball viable.  I'm in a H2H league, so probably not enough games for that to work, but maybe an all-play type of thing will work.

Users who are viewing this thread