What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

how far do you hit an 8-iron? (2 Viewers)

how far do you hit an 8-iron?

• <100 yds

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 100-120

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • 120-130

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 130-140

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • 140-150

Votes: 51 25.9%
  • 150-160

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • 160-170

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • 180+

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • i dont golf

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
yeah, the golf improvement industry in general is insane whether its exercises to improve your technique or fitness.   was curious if the guys in this thread that are hitting there 8 iron 20-30 yards farther than mine just naturally hit it that far with just your average clubs or if they consciously do something to get that extra distance.
I am still using Ping Eye2s - older technology and a couple of degrees more loft on each club ...but I never hit my irons long anyway - but 8 iron was always 135 - 143ish.  

I bought the Eye2s about 10 years ago ...because I always liked how they looked and nothing else appealed to me at the time.  

yeah, the golf improvement industry in general is insane whether its exercises to improve your technique or fitness.   was curious if the guys in this thread that are hitting there 8 iron 20-30 yards farther than mine just naturally hit it that far with just your average clubs or if they consciously do something to get that extra distance.
I got fitted back in 2008, and new clubs+shafts got me a few extra yards. As was stated earlier, the lofts have been getting stronger over the years, so my current 8i at @ 145 yards may have been more like a 7i or 6i 10+  years ago. 

Shortening my swing, along with more exercise (not golf-specific), has helped maintain my current distances. At the end of the day, swing speed will determine a lot of how far I’m hitting it, and I’m old enough to realize 100+ mph (w a driver for example) ain’t gonna happen. 

How much do the clubs and ball you use add to your distance?   Does anyone do specific exercises to increase distance?
Two that I know for a fact will help dramatically. One is heavy squats or leg press. Allows you better balance and a more stable platform. The other is on those pully systems, you put like 30-40 lbs on it and start at hip high. Set up so your hands are at hip high and in the same position they would be in your back swing at half way point. From that position just make your golf swing to where your hands finish at the opposite hip high position. This is the hitting zone and this exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles that drive that motion through the hitting zone. Note set up in your golf stance and as you start pulling rotate your hips like you normally would in the golf swing.

Do a bunch of both of these for a month or two and you will have so much effortless power it will shock you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys carry an 8 iron?

All I need is driver and a wedge ?
I don't play golf much at all anymore, but I used to play pretty much exclusively with a 7 or 8 iron, a PW, and a putter. Obviously, I wasn't putting up great scores, but I can relatively crush a 7/8 iron (160-170 with an 8). Problem is, I can't hit any club any further than the 7, and the likely range of outcomes with longer clubs is generally disasterous. I'm 5'6". Woods/drivers feel like I'm swinging a telephone pole. I'm putting it in the woods pretty much every time. I went through a phase where I was fairly effective with a 3 iron, but I lost it. 

So, heading down the fairway 160 yards at a time before a 4-putt is my best route as a golfer. 

I got fitted back in 2008, and new clubs+shafts got me a few extra yards. As was stated earlier, the lofts have been getting stronger over the years, so my current 8i at @ 145 yards may have been more like a 7i or 6i 10+  years ago. 

Shortening my swing, along with more exercise (not golf-specific), has helped maintain my current distances. At the end of the day, swing speed will determine a lot of how far I’m hitting it, and I’m old enough to realize 100+ mph (w a driver for example) ain’t gonna happen. 
Why is this happening?  Seems like most people would need more clubs in the 50-150 range, not the 150-200 range.  So if I go buy a new set of clubs my 8i is going to jump from 135 to 165.  I'm going to have 3i-7i or 5 clubs to cover 170-210/220 and 3 wedges to cover 60-140 yards.  

Two that I know for a fact will help dramatically. One is heavy squats or leg press. Allows you better balance and a more stable platform. The other is on those pully systems, you put like 30-40 lbs on it and start at hip high. Set up so your hands are at hip high and in the same position they would be in your back swing at half way point. From that position just make your golf swing to where your hands finish at the opposite hip high position. This is the hitting zone and this exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles that drive that motion through the hitting zone. Note set up in your golf stance and as you start pulling rotate your hips like you normally would in the golf swing.

Do a bunch of both of these for a month or two and you will have so much effortless power it will shock you.
I'm coming off a herniated disc so I'm thinking the heavy squats/leg presses are out.     I'm not even sure about golf, but the ortho says I should be fine once I get back to 100%.   I've seen the pulley exercise done before and I'll have to give that a shot.  Thanks.

I am glad you chose 8-iron for this question.  Both of my holes-in-one are with my 8 iron.  138 yards (slightly uphill) and 150 (downhill).  I answered 130 to 140.

lot's of lying in here
It’s also a pretty silly question since the relative distance one hits an iron doesn’t mean much if that person has a ton of variance in that distance and lacks accuracy and precision. In other words, length doesn’t matter much if one is still hitting far less than 50% of the greens. Also, using myself as an example, one probably has to flight the ball pretty high to hit it that far, which lends itself to a wider miss rate where an even slight miss would be off the green and possibly in trouble. 

How much do the clubs and ball you use add to your distance?   Does anyone do specific exercises to increase distance?
Equipment does help make some difference but swing technique is the key to unlocking more distance.  Flexibility plays a large role in that too.  Newer model irons can help golfers with a few yards and other things like getting the ball to launch higher.  But they are not going to take a golfer that hits 8 iron 130 magically to hitting it 160/165.  

The type of ball you play does factor in too.  A guy with a swing speed of 75-80 mph will likely have better distance results with a ball with lower compression.  Shaft flex as well.  Lower swing speeds can benefit from graphite shafts and regular flex (or senior flex for older guys).  Higher swing speeds benefit more with stiff flex shafts and higher compression balls (*insert joke here*).

I bought various types of balls to see if/how they affected my game.  My home course is usually empty on Tues and Thurs afternoons and a good time for me to go out and not worry about anyone in front or behind me.  So there are a couple of wide par 4s and 5s I can hit a few off the tee to compare.  

I have Titleist, Taylor Made, Bridgestone, Callaway in my bag.  I recently bought a box of the new Snell MTB balls (red).  

Titleist:

ProV1(x)..  top of the line balls.  Love these but they are pricey.  

NXT tour... nice ball, cheaper alternative.

Velocity... For the price, my favorite Titleist ball.  High compression and pretty durable.  

Taylor Made:  

TP5..  top shelf ball but pricey.  

Tour Preferred.  Nice ball but I'm not sure they are best for my game.  Lower compression..  not as much distance off the tee, imo.  

Bridgestone:

B330..  love this ball and used to be more affordable but now getting up there with the proV1.  

Callaway: Chrome soft.  My least favorite of all mentioned so far.  Feels decent for a few holes then turns crappy, imo.  I know they've made improvements last year on this series but I'm not a fan.  

Multiple hits from driver off tee:  The Titleist Velocity consistently flew farther (for me) than any other ball listed above.  Better than the Prov1 and B330.  Although, overall from tee to green, they are both better performers than the Velocity.  But at the price point, the Velocity is an excellent choice.  

The NXT Tour is similar feel to the Velocity but slightly less distance in my view.  Since Velocity is a little cheaper, I prefer it.. but the NXT tour is a nice alternative to change things up.

The Callaway, as mentioned above, finished last for me.  I won't buy these balls again.  

The Taylor Made Tour Preferred is an interesting ball.  I hit it consistently around 10 or so yards shorter than the other balls.  However, because of the lower compression (less side spin), it consistently flew straighter than any of the others.  Even on shots not hit in the center of the face.  Very forgiving ball.  I feel like I can play this ball and I may lose yards off the tee, but I believe I'll have more shots in the fairway, which is kind of important.  

The Snell ball, so far, has been excellent for me.  It feels much like the ProV1, all the way into the green and feel when putting.  At $15 cheaper per box than the ProV1, it could become my new ball to play.  I've only played a sleeve so far though.  But so far, I really like it.  

My swing speed is 100-105 and at fitting, my ball speed with driver has been between 149-153 consistently.  Stiff flex shafts and high compression (multi-piece) balls are what I play best.  Although, I'm still evaluating the T-Made tour preferred ball.  Didn't care for it at first but quickly realized that less side spin equals less errant shots... less lost balls.  

RE: Exercises.  I know there are exercises that increase strength but I submit that flexibility is more important than just strength.  Like everyone else here, in my 20s I could just drive up and head to the first tee and press on.  Now, I have to stretch several minutes to loosen my back and legs before the first swing.  Some swing lube is also a big help.  

But the most important element to increasing distance, imo, is the proper swing technique.  The 40/50+ year old man who swings with mostly arms is going to hit an 8 iron around 130.  When he learns to use lag and properly turn his shoulders/hips, he'll see that he can hit it over 150. 

With that said, I know many golfers who are much better than me that are perfectly fine with not hitting 8 iron over 140.  My brother hits 6 iron 150, and that is his choice.  He slows his swing and hits a nice fade.  I can't do that.  I tried.  He can hit it farther but has developed his game around that swing.  Although I can beat him from time to time, he is usually 3-4 strokes better than me.  Everyone's mileage will vary.  

Sorry for the post length.  

Well said @Jayrok

Re: flexibility, I remember years ago reading an article that pointed out how long hitters like John Daly (sp?) had a noticeable difference in how much shoulder turn they had v hip turn.

the whole golf exercise business is exploding.  It's also confusing as hell.  I am going to start doing some basic stretches for hamstrings and torso - also bought these speed stix and a mph monitor.  
is it really exploding?  Are those playing just getting more into it?  I have a friend who does golf training and he's honestly fantastic, I just hear so often about the business in terms of participation in such steep decline.  I'm trying to get him to start a youtube channel

BassNBrew said:
Why is this happening?  Seems like most people would need more clubs in the 50-150 range, not the 150-200 range.  So if I go buy a new set of clubs my 8i is going to jump from 135 to 165.  I'm going to have 3i-7i or 5 clubs to cover 170-210/220 and 3 wedges to cover 60-140 yards.  
I think lofts are getting stronger so the club manufactures can say “you’ll get more distance from our brand!” by virtue of them altering the loft by a degree or two. 

And I don’t think you’ll see a 30 yard swing in one club if you buy a new set, even though the technology will probably new you a few yards to the positive. As Zow mentioned, the “average golfer” is gonna have significant variance swing to swing, so raw distance numbers are diminish in value. 

My son hits my 8i 180-200. He’s hosed on anything under 150 but can get close 150-200.  Distance doesn’t help score in his case

@Jayrok - big fan of the MTB. Just ordered another box last week. 
Those balls are great.  I bought a box of red and will order a box of the black MTB to see if there are differences to note.  The red MTB checks up nicely when chipping around the green and I like how they feel off the putter.  

Smack Tripper said:
is it really exploding?  Are those playing just getting more into it?  I have a friend who does golf training and he's honestly fantastic, I just hear so often about the business in terms of participation in such steep decline.  I'm trying to get him to start a youtube channel
I haven't checked into the business numbers and don't know how to run down that kind of sub-segment of a market.  I was going by the amount of golf-specific training and analysis for training I have seen over the last year or two.  

I really wasn't aware of the decline in golf participation overall until you mentioned that.  I googled some stuff and saw that the game has gone from 29M+ active players last decade to around 23M last year ...yeow.  

I haven't checked into the business numbers and don't know how to run down that kind of sub-segment of a market.  I was going by the amount of golf-specific training and analysis for training I have seen over the last year or two.  

I really wasn't aware of the decline in golf participation overall until you mentioned that.  I googled some stuff and saw that the game has gone from 29M+ active players last decade to around 23M last year ...yeow.  
Yeah I’ve heard courses are closing and to be frank there likely were too many. But the game is Greying too which might be the bigger concern. But the flip side I could is frankly only the wealthy-ish will be heavy players and they can afford and would in interested in these new techniques and maintenance training 

8 iron has probably been my favorite club over the years.  It comes from the design difference break between the 8 iron and 7 iron.  In most blade sets, the 8 has a rounded top edge that looks much like a wedge at address.  The 7 iron has the straight-line edge and can look like a 5 iron when looking down at it. 

I could convince myself that I had a wedge in my hands (when I had an 8) and hit it consistently within birdie range.  Well before lots of yardage markers on sprinkler heads - getting my drive past the 150 stakes meant I could use my 8 iron and know I could hit it close.  A 7 iron was ok, but a big psychological drop in confidence from my 8 iron.  

More and more clubs these days don't have this design difference.  

Yeah I’ve heard courses are closing and to be frank there likely were too many. But the game is Greying too which might be the bigger concern. But the flip side I could is frankly only the wealthy-ish will be heavy players and they can afford and would in interested in these new techniques and maintenance training 
You are correct.  They are closing the easier courses that are prime real estate for commercial and residential projects.   They built too many golf courses in the 90s.  The player base is shrinking and the ones that are playing don't play as frequent.  Top Golf is not creating more golfers.  As the baby boomers continue to die off, it's only going to get worse.

I was in the industry for 25 and now am glad that I'm out.

You are correct.  They are closing the easier courses that are prime real estate for commercial and residential projects.   They built too many golf courses in the 90s.  The player base is shrinking and the ones that are playing don't play as frequent.  Top Golf is not creating more golfers.  As the baby boomers continue to die off, it's only going to get worse.

I was in the industry for 25 and now am glad that I'm out.
My experience with three clubs in AZ is that memberships has grown a lot in the past calendar year, while previously diminishing greatly over the prior ten.  Not sure if that's consistent across the country. 

If I am drawing the ball...165-170.  If I am fading the ball....150-160.  No, I am not THAT good.  Some days I am drawing it, some days I am fading it.

I could hit my 8-iron 180 if I really wanted to, but I would be terribly inconsistent.  One would go 180, the next one would be fat and 100.

My experience with three clubs in AZ is that memberships has grown a lot in the past calendar year, while previously diminishing greatly over the prior ten.  Not sure if that's consistent across the country. 
I think the private club business has been steady since the re-distribution of wealth in this country continues to go to that segment.  :whistle:  

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I think the private club business has been steady since the re-distribution of wealth in this country continues to go to that segment.  :whistle:  
That depends on location.  I think you live in CHI, so I definitely think you're right regarding Chicago clubs.  But I do think the initiation fees are not skyrocketing like they did in the 90s.  My dad belonged to a nice club in the CHI suburbs.  During the 90s, there was always at least 15-20 people on the waiting list.  When my dad quit the club in 2002, there only a few on the waiting list the initiation fee had not changed in years.

I lived in Charlotte for 12 years, and some of the clubs there were desperate for members.  Those clubs are at the 8-15K range.  That said, the upper end clubs like Quail Hollow Club have no issues with membership.

I was playing in a member-guest the day of the Trump inauguration.  MAGA hats everywhere and, pre-round, the club gave champagne to everybody for a toast (I got the sense that a wealthy member foot the bill) and we did the pledge. It was, as one of the (hopefully) few who didn't vote for him, awkward. 

I did really enjoy taking several hundred off a Trump lover later in the day. 

That depends on location.  I think you live in CHI, so I definitely think you're right regarding Chicago clubs.  But I do think the initiation fees are not skyrocketing like they did in the 90s.  My dad belonged to a nice club in the CHI suburbs.  During the 90s, there was always at least 15-20 people on the waiting list.  When my dad quit the club in 2002, there only a few on the waiting list the initiation fee had not changed in years.

I lived in Charlotte for 12 years, and some of the clubs there were desperate for members.  Those clubs are at the 8-15K range.  That said, the upper end clubs like Quail Hollow Club have no issues with membership.
I take it back a little because I do know the Private club market in Chicago has been hit somewhat, mostly the middle tier clubs like Lagrange, Westmoreland, Ravisloe, Ravinia Green, places like that.  Beverly, Butler, Chicago GC, Olympia, Medinah, Shoreacres are all never going to be affected.

I take it back a little because I do know the Private club market in Chicago has been hit somewhat, mostly the middle tier clubs like Lagrange, Westmoreland, Ravisloe, Ravinia Green, places like that.  Beverly, Butler, Chicago GC, Olympia, Medinah, Shoreacres are all never going to be affected.
That makes sense.  I was definitely thinking of the more elite Chicago clubs, which cost 100K or more to join.  My dad belonged to Glen Oak CC in Glen Ellyn, a nice club but definitely a notch below Chicago and Medinah and Butler National. 

Chicago GC never has a membership problem because it's so damn impossible to get an invitation to join there, even if you can afford the initiation fee.  I don't think Chicago has ever had more than 125 members, and most of them don't live in the CHI area.  BTW, how was your round there?  Did you keep it out of the prairie grass and pot bunkers?

That makes sense.  I was definitely thinking of the more elite Chicago clubs, which cost 100K or more to join.  My dad belonged to Glen Oak CC in Glen Ellyn, a nice club but definitely a notch below Chicago and Medinah and Butler National. 

Chicago GC never has a membership problem because it's so damn impossible to get an invitation to join there, even if you can afford the initiation fee.  I don't think Chicago has ever had more than 125 members, and most of them don't live in the CHI area.  BTW, how was your round there?  Did you keep it out of the prairie grass and pot bunkers?
Wow...nice memory.  I played decent and got away with hitting it in the tall grass a few times.   I think I ended up shooting 80 or 81 and stumbled a bit coming down the stretch.  Definitely was a round to remember.

I think lofts are getting stronger so the club manufactures can say “you’ll get more distance from our brand!” by virtue of them altering the loft by a degree or two. 

There is some truth to this. It lead to the creation of the "gap" wedge. Lofts being changed in the longer irons meant eventually there was a gap when you got down to your wedges. Below my 9 iron I now have a PW, UW, and a SW. U? They call it a utility wedge, but its just another name for the gap that was created by changing lofts. 

However....

My old SW was a 52 degree Ping Zing 2. Used to hit it right around 95-105. My new SW is a 54 degree Ping G. I hit it around 105-115. That would indicate a change contradicting the idea that longer distances is only from changing lofts. It's not the whole story. The technology really is making a difference. Newer irons are way more forgiving and really do hit the ball farther. I guess there's the discussion that the ball is changing too, but that's a whole new can of shanks. 

I hit it only as far as my subconscious telling me "eh, that looks like an 8 iron shot" - that could be anywhere from 140 - 170 yds.  

I normally hit my 8 iron 155. I have a SkyTrak golf simulator and, because of this thread, I wanted to see how far I COULD hit an 8 iron.

191 yds is the answer. Very much delofted and very much in the back of my stance.

I was able to hit a 5 iron 235 with this method. Normally it's 200.

I've tried hitting an 8-iron with a baseball bat and it usually goes pretty far, although it also usually breaks it in half. 

I am crossing water, it is 5 yards short of the opposite edge regardless of distance.  But the sand trap in front of the green is 130 yards, I can hit it there too.

Users who are viewing this thread