What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How far will Quentin Griffin's stock rise tonight? (1 Viewer)

PLEASE bump Q up your boards!!!!!!! On a side note: LOVED :D watching those runs from Football Hall of Famer Barry Sanders!!!!! Thanks for the memories Sir!!!!!!!!!

Quentin Griffin6 rushes/46 yards = 7.6 ypcMike Anderson7 rushes/11 yards = 1.5 ypcWhere's Pony Boy?? I'm curious how he'll spin this to make Quentin Griffin out to be an awful RB.

It's too early to judge how WAS O will impact Portis... that is the *only* thing that matters with regards to him. He will still get 99.999% of the carries.Player values jump around more when there's speculation of their role in the offense. That has never been in question for Portis... hence he doesn't move down. The "if Q moves-Portis moves" analogy is too simplistic.
Sorry..I don't see it that way. Overall I think that NFL stats are a zero sum game, therefore if somebody goes up...somebody else must get knocked down. This game provides a too perfect example where Portis has been assessed based on his stats in one system that is now working to someone elses benefit. If that system is so good then projections for him need to be tempered by the fact that he has never performed outside it.As has been said, this is way too premature. However, this thought process is the one that I will go through while watching all the preseason games and I think it is sound until a better argument comes along.

Guys, all due respect, I'd expect better collectively of everyone. Upgrading someone who gets first team reps in the first preseason game? Not buying it. I'm not saying Q doesn't have the goods, but I'm not willing to determine that one a few carries early in a game against the Redskins...who knows how that defensive line is going to play this year, particularly in their first game together.

Never EVER overreact to preseason stats...let's see Q do this for oh, I don't know, at least another series or two in the 2nd game before we boost him up to a 2nd rounder. :rolleyes:
Oh, the mighty Wood has spoken. :rolleyes: You must also be criticizing Joe Bryant who stated this about Quentin Griffin's value after tonight's performance:
Way increased. Through the roof I'd think after this display thus far.

J
Hey Big Daddy,No reason for the rolleyes, and yes, I am openly discussing a difference in philosophy with anyone who thinks Griffin should be upgraded on this news, Joe and David included. You do realize that we staff are allowed to, and frequently do, disagree on certain players and situations right?

All the best,

Woodrow
I'll say this, I remember when TD was a rookie and I wasn't nearly as involved in FF at that time. No internet access, no footballguys. I remember seeing him in the preseason and not knowing anything about him at all (college or NFL camps). I also remember telling people about this guy at work the next day after the preseason games. "Hey, did you see this Davis guy"

I'll have to go back and check what he did as a rookie in preseason to make sure this is accurate information but I seem to remember him having some good runs in the preseason.

Not to say Q-dog is TD but it shows at preseason isn't mealingless either. But I understand that preseason sucess doesn't mean he'll run for 1,400 yards either. I do, however, believe Griffin has the ability to help Denver make the play-offs this season. I believe he'll make Shanny look good in making the trade Portis/Bailey.

TD got the starting gig (or at least a long look) when he leveled-- and I mean LEVELED-- an opposing player on a kick coverage team in his first preseason game. It was one of the hits that makes you instinctively go, "Ooooooooooo..."

You can't drop Portis too much, but I think you can downgrade him a little, I plan on doing it, but more out of the news of Jansen's injury and less out of his performance.Griffin looked good and I plan on upgrading him....i wouldn't and won't put him up to top 10 or 15 or even 20 level yet, but definite plus. He did look good on some plays but others he looked terrible on, going down with arm tackles, I'd also like to see a few more GL attempts before I predict him for anything more than 6 TD's. He looks like a guy who's going to be hit or miss, he's either going to get 1 or 2 or lose 1 or 2 for 8 plays and then break off two 15-20 yard plays. I think realistic projections right now are 1000 yards 5 TD's with another 350 receiving and 1 td.

TD got the starting gig (or at least a long look) when he leveled-- and I mean LEVELED-- an opposing player on a kick coverage team in his first preseason game. It was one of the hits that makes you instinctively go, "Ooooooooooo..."
I just looked it up. TD had 1 carry for ZERO yards his first preseason game. Then the second was't much better. But the 3rd game he was 10 carries for 73 yards.And taht was against the 1995 Cowboys so I'm sure that was the game I saw. Being that all the Dallas games are televised in Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, all due respect, I'd expect better collectively of everyone. Upgrading someone who gets first team reps in the first preseason game? Not buying it. I'm not saying Q doesn't have the goods, but I'm not willing to determine that one a few carries early in a game against the Redskins...who knows how that defensive line is going to play this year, particularly in their first game together.

Never EVER overreact to preseason stats...let's see Q do this for oh, I don't know, at least another series or two in the 2nd game before we boost him up to a 2nd rounder. :rolleyes:
Oh, the mighty Wood has spoken. :rolleyes: You must also be criticizing Joe Bryant who stated this about Quentin Griffin's value after tonight's performance:

J
Hey Big Daddy,No reason for the rolleyes, and yes, I am openly discussing a difference in philosophy with anyone who thinks Griffin should be upgraded on this news, Joe and David included. You do realize that we staff are allowed to, and frequently do, disagree on certain players and situations right?

All the best,

Woodrow
I'll say this, I remember when TD was a rookie and I wasn't nearly as involved in FF at that time. No internet access, no footballguys. I remember seeing him in the preseason and not knowing anything about him at all (college or NFL camps). I also remember telling people about this guy at work the next day after the preseason games. "Hey, did you see this Davis guy"

I'll have to go back and check what he did as a rookie in preseason to make sure this is accurate information but I seem to remember him having some good runs in the preseason.

Not to say Q-dog is TD but it shows at preseason isn't mealingless either. But I understand that preseason sucess doesn't mean he'll run for 1,400 yards either. I do, however, believe Griffin has the ability to help Denver make the play-offs this season. I believe he'll make Shanny look good in making the trade Portis/Bailey.
Hey Houston,And for every TD there are countless preseason studs who do nothing. Damien Anderson led the NFL (or was darn close to it) in rushing last preseason, and he got ZERO carries for the Cardinals.

I'm not saying Q-Dog didn't look good tonight, nor am I saying he can't be the Broncos go-to back...in fact, I boosted his ranking considerably in the latest rankings just published to the site.

That said, what happens if Q-Dog gets stuffed next week? Is everyone going to bounce him back down? What happens if Tatum Bell gets carries with the first team offense in the 3rd game and lights it up? Then what?

We need to see training camp and the preseason games progress a bit more. I know everyone is absolutely fiending for some good news after the deluge of depressing injuries and retirements in the early part of camp, but we shouldn't overreact positively or negatively to one portion of one preseason quarter in early August.

Q looked great, period. he was able to convert his goal line carry which was unfortunately called back. He didn't get stuffed though, which is big

Q looked great, period. he was able to convert his goal line carry which was unfortunately called back. He didn't get stuffed though, which is big
Against a weak defensive line, one of the worst in the NFL right now, I would assume. Although I think Griffin won't have too many problems sniffing out the endzone, I'm not going to make a big deal out of one play.

J

All the best,

Woodrow

Hey Houston,And for every TD there are countless preseason studs who do nothing. Damien Anderson led the NFL (or was darn close to it) in rushing last preseason, and he got ZERO carries for the Cardinals.

I'm not saying Q-Dog didn't look good tonight, nor am I saying he can't be the Broncos go-to back...in fact, I boosted his ranking considerably in the latest rankings just published to the site.

That said, what happens if Q-Dog gets stuffed next week? Is everyone going to bounce him back down? What happens if Tatum Bell gets carries with the first team offense in the 3rd game and lights it up? Then what?

We need to see training camp and the preseason games progress a bit more. I know everyone is absolutely fiending for some good news after the deluge of depressing injuries and retirements in the early part of camp, but we shouldn't overreact positively or negatively to one portion of one preseason quarter in early August.
One thing to remember, Anderson was the 3rd string RB in Arizona. He had no chance to start over Smith and Shipp. He may get some carries this season and I'm not going to say that he can't be a succeed either.You should know, it's all about opportunity. If Griffin gets the chance, and he will barring injury. He's be successful in the NFL.

You can't drop Portis too much, but I think you can downgrade him a little, I plan on doing it, but more out of the news of Jansen's injury and less out of his performance.Griffin looked good and I plan on upgrading him....i wouldn't and won't put him up to top 10 or 15 or even 20 level yet, but definite plus. He did look good on some plays but others he looked terrible on, going down with arm tackles, I'd also like to see a few more GL attempts before I predict him for anything more than 6 TD's. He looks like a guy who's going to be hit or miss, he's either going to get 1 or 2 or lose 1 or 2 for 8 plays and then break off two 15-20 yard plays. I think realistic projections right now are 1000 yards 5 TD's with another 350 receiving and 1 td.
That I can buy. Once the preseason games start it seems that all the prospects get a bump while the everyone else stands pat. That just cant happen. I prefer to go into the season with a maximum number of total points to allocate. The total can be adjusted slightly 5% or so. This approach forces you to think critcally.

J

All the best,

Woodrow

One thing to remember, Anderson was the 3rd string RB in Arizona. He had no chance to strat over Smith and Shipp. He may get some carries this season and I'm not going to say that he can't suceed either.You should know, it's all about opportunity. If Griffin gets the chance, and he will barring injury. He's be successful in the NFL.
We agree...as you know I often harp on Ability and Opportunity. When those two things are present, fantasy success will follow. What I'm saying is, sure Q-Dog appears to have opportunity and isn't lacking in ability, but don't make that conclusion based on a few carries in the Hall of Fame Classic. Base that on his competition, commentary by the coaching staff, who's taking reps with the first team offense in camp, and the player's pedigree.If you thought Q-Dog would be the guy before tonight, nothing has changed. If you were unsure, I wouldn't change the uncertainty because we have a lot of football left to play; that's all I'm asking people to remember.

How silly will it be if next game, Q-Dog goes 6 for 11 while Bell or Anderson break a long run for a touchdown...we're going to have a ton of "I told you sos" on both sides and that's pointless.

IF Q-Dog continues to play the way he did tonight, I agree with the notion that he'll get the nod from Shanny to be the go-to guy. If that becomes clear and is declared as such later in the preseason, I think you can start legitimately discussing the merits of Griffin as a 2nd/3rd rounder. Not before.

In an auction league I would not pay more than $12 for Quentin.EDIT - in a $200 cap league.

I dont care about his stats or the fact that it's preseason. There are certain things that I wanted to know about Q going into tonight's game (and future preseason games). Whether he can pass block well, can he catch the ball out of the backfield, and does Denver keep him in on goal line plays. To name a few. Of course this one game doesnt decide all of that, but from what I saw, he did well. For me, the preseason games wont win me over based on what his stats are, it's the other things (the intangibles), that I want to see. So in reality, the preseason is all I have to go on, to see if Q is able to do the things he has to do to win the job. That's when I decide if he's going to be on my Fantasy Football team and that makes all the difference in the world.

J

All the best,

Woodrow

One thing to remember, Anderson was the 3rd string RB in Arizona. He had no chance to strat over Smith and Shipp. He may get some carries this season and I'm not going to say that he can't suceed either.You should know, it's all about opportunity. If Griffin gets the chance, and he will barring injury. He's be successful in the NFL.
We agree...as you know I often harp on Ability and Opportunity. When those two things are present, fantasy success will follow. What I'm saying is, sure Q-Dog appears to have opportunity and isn't lacking in ability, but don't make that conclusion based on a few carries in the Hall of Fame Classic. Base that on his competition, commentary by the coaching staff, who's taking reps with the first team offense in camp, and the player's pedigree.If you thought Q-Dog would be the guy before tonight, nothing has changed. If you were unsure, I wouldn't change the uncertainty because we have a lot of football left to play; that's all I'm asking people to remember.

How silly will it be if next game, Q-Dog goes 6 for 11 while Bell or Anderson break a long run for a touchdown...we're going to have a ton of "I told you sos" on both sides and that's pointless.

IF Q-Dog continues to play the way he did tonight, I agree with the notion that he'll get the nod from Shanny to be the go-to guy. If that becomes clear and is declared as such later in the preseason, I think you can start legitimately discussing the merits of Griffin as a 2nd/3rd rounder. Not before.
No doubt there. As soon as Griffin stumbles or gets the slightest ding, the "I told you so" will be rampat. Another example of this will be when Lee Suggs wins the job in Cleveland and they open against Baltimore. Baltimore kills him and Butch sits back and says "I told you so" Green is the man, lol. I can almost see Butch giving Suggs the rope and Ray Lewis the chair for Suggs to stand on.Griffin won't always have positive yards on a per carry basis but neither did Barry Sanders. He's no Barry but I think he's the closest thig to him we have in the NFL right now. I'm not saying this just cause Madden commented on it but it's been something we've discussed a little here and something about his size and style he ran in college.

I drafted Griffin in one of my dynasty leagues his rookie year in hopes that he'd get to see the field. So I guess I'm kinda swayed but I've been watching him since his days at Oklahoma.

We'll I'm off to bed.

I think we agree for the most part. I'm just backing my boy Q-Dog since sooooo many are down on him.

Q is available in our rookie/FA draft this year....where does he fall in that group?
I'm in the same situation in my dynasty league. I'm considering Q in the middle of the first round, but I want to see just a little bit more out of him before my draft at the end of the preseason. Where do you have him slotted?

Yes, it is early. Too early to absolutely annoint Q as the starter. However, had he played very poorly tonight (i.e. few yards and a fumble), we would all be knocking him down our rankings, and for good reason -- our eyes would be telling us he had sucked. If a guy can do damage to his chances in preseason, he can also help them too. Q helped his chances enormously tonight.And I don't think it is not correct to compare him to other guys that had preseason success but no regular season opportunities, like Damien Anderson. Damien could have run for an even bigger pile of yards last preseason and no one would have been annointing him the starter, since we all knew there were a couple of guys ahead of him.In this case, we know there is nobody clearly entrenched ahead of Q on the depth chart. Q will be given the opportunity if he performs well. He performed well. So we should not be afraid to bump him up some until we see something that indicates otherwise.Apples and oranges.If you can't use a preseason game to assess a player, then what are you supposed to use? Some written report from a guy you don't know or trust who saw some practice plays from camp that are described on a website? Trust your own eyes! Q looked real nice tonight. Bump him up. Then watch next week to see if you should do otherwise.FWIW, I recall a 2002 preseason game for Green Bay where this guy caught every pass Favre threw at him, and a few were almost uncatchable. The guy was Donald Driver and we know what kind of year he had in 2002. His talent was given an opportunity to play. Q could be in a similar scenario.

J

All the best,

Woodrow
Ah, preseason, just like baseball in March - Hope springs eternal. Big Daddy, be careful. Guess you can only roll your eyes at everyone BUT staff.

Sept 9th can't come soon enough! :D

I don't think I saw any blitzing LBs picked up but I did see him staying back there waiting for it.
I was watching for him on blitz pickups and it looked like he dumped a LB who came free on the right side when Denver was 3rd and 7 in the redzone. That's the only one I noticed.

This much I know: Denver's offensive line is awesome!This offensive line has made a lot of RBs look like superstars including Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis.None of those backs would have near the success in a different system (see Gary). I fully expect that Portis will disappoint in Washington as well.Denver absolutely RAPED Washington in the Portis/Bailey trade. In Denver, any old average RB will become a superstar behind that line. A shut-down cover corner like Bailey is worth much, much more. I guess there was no collusion, so Tagliabue had to let the trade go through :D , but it doesn't get much more lopsided than that!Now we just have to figure out which one of the Denver RBs will get the majority of the carries, because the starting Denver RB is fantasy gold!! :thumbup:

OK, one final time. Griffen won't be good. I'll certainly avoid him now that everyone is moving him up. When I compared him to TD and Portis, it was due to the "It's a DEN RB, therefore he's awesome". Griffen isn't TD nor Portis. I don't think he's as good as Mike Anderson was. Maybe Olandis Gary. Here are my best case scenario numbers: 290/1131/10. I'd be shocked if he reaches those numbers. I'm most discouraged by his 3.7 YPC last season. All of the other good and great DEN RBs averaged well over 4.0. While I may be wrong, I'd rather miss out on Griffen than draft him and watch him bust. Looks like he'll be a 3rd to 4th round pick at the latest right now, and that is WAY too early for me.
Hi Unlucky, So what numbers are you saying you do think he'll post?

J
I haven't updated my projections lately. I still think Griffin isn't good enough to handle the full load. I think Anderson, Hearst, and Bell have enough talent to warrent some touches. It does look like Griffin could win the job early. I'm pretty down on the whole Denver offense. Rod Smith is still good, but not great. Lelie has been a bust so far, and I don't see a huge breakout. Chamberlain is a downgrade from Sharpe, but not too bad. Overall, I think Denver won't score as many points or run as many offensive plays as past years.

For right now, I'd probably project 200 carries, 790 yards, and 4 TDs plus 25 receptions, 200 yards, and 2 TDs for Griffin. I feel OK with 990/6 total, but I'm not confident that Griffin won't lose the job early in the season.

As most observed, the guy is good in space. But I don't think he's got the power or skills to gain yards in traffic. Good RBs can break tackles or at least move the pile for 2 to 3 yards. I think Griffin is an all or nothing type runner, and that's not good.

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential. I feel Griffin is too risky and I don't see a high enough upside to use a high pick on him.

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential. I feel Griffin is too risky...
This is the major concept of my 60 page article/thesis I'm writing.Why the rest of the ff word continues to draft guys like Westbrook/DD/Chris Brown/Griffin in early rounds is beyond me.One day the rest of the ff world is going to catch up.

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential. I feel Griffin is too risky...
This is the major concept of my 60 page article/thesis I'm writing.Why the rest of the ff word continues to draft guys like Westbrook/DD/Chris Brown/Griffin in early rounds is beyond me.One day the rest of the ff world is going to catch up.
60 pages on fantasy football?jeebus, you love it far more than I do...

He obviously has way too much time on his hands!!

What?!?!?Did you see the same game I saw? Griffin was stuffed on 4 out of 9 running plays he had. That's hardly great stuff.

What?!?!?Did you see the same game I saw? Griffin was stuffed on 4 out of 9 running plays he had. That's hardly great stuff.
But yet he still avg over 7 ypc tonite!!

But yet he still avg over 7 ypc tonite!!
Yeah. 27 yards of it on a draw in a long passing down. He smacks of a 3rd down RB, no more.IMO

Pony Boy all I see out of you is Q bashing over and over on this board, the guy has a pretty decent game and you're still not willing to give him any credit. Maybe you need to get off Bell's jock for a change and give props when they are due!!

The thing that worries me more than Q as starter is the play of Denver's starting OL.I also was shown one clear thing - Anderson will NOT win the job from Griffin, but Bell has an outside chance of doing so since he is still an unknown factor.Finally, re: Portis - I believe, like LT, he could have doggie-doo-doo in front of him for blockers and he'd STILL make huge plays a couple times a game.

OK, one final time.  Griffen won't be good.  I'll certainly avoid him now that everyone is moving him up.  When I compared him to TD and Portis, it was due to the "It's a DEN RB, therefore he's awesome".  Griffen isn't TD nor Portis.  I don't think he's as good as Mike Anderson was.  Maybe Olandis Gary.  Here are my best case scenario numbers: 290/1131/10.  I'd be shocked if he reaches those numbers.  I'm most discouraged by his 3.7 YPC last season.  All of the other good and great DEN RBs averaged well over 4.0.  While I may be wrong, I'd rather miss out on Griffen than draft him and watch him bust.  Looks like he'll be a 3rd to 4th round pick at the latest right now, and that is WAY too early for me.
Hi Unlucky, So what numbers are you saying you do think he'll post?

J
I haven't updated my projections lately. I still think Griffin isn't good enough to handle the full load. I think Anderson, Hearst, and Bell have enough talent to warrent some touches. It does look like Griffin could win the job early. I'm pretty down on the whole Denver offense. Rod Smith is still good, but not great. Lelie has been a bust so far, and I don't see a huge breakout. Chamberlain is a downgrade from Sharpe, but not too bad. Overall, I think Denver won't score as many points or run as many offensive plays as past years.

For right now, I'd probably project 200 carries, 790 yards, and 4 TDs plus 25 receptions, 200 yards, and 2 TDs for Griffin. I feel OK with 990/6 total, but I'm not confident that Griffin won't lose the job early in the season.

As most observed, the guy is good in space. But I don't think he's got the power or skills to gain yards in traffic. Good RBs can break tackles or at least move the pile for 2 to 3 yards. I think Griffin is an all or nothing type runner, and that's not good.

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential. I feel Griffin is too risky and I don't see a high enough upside to use a high pick on him.
I agree with this overall, however, there have been many drafts before tonight's game. In those drafts, Griffin was drafted later than the 4th round, offering plenty of value. In fact, it wasn't long ago that Griffin was drafted 3rd Rb on his team. The guy has gotten very little love and many of the posters who supported Griffin were ripped or considered crazy for liking this guy.

Eventually you'll have to take the blinders off. Unlucky is right, drafting him now in the late 3rd or 4th round is certainly a gamble. But if you knew he had the ability and weren't afraid to take a shot on him (straightens shirt and pats on back) like I did in the 8th round of a 16 team leaugue in SSL3, it's looking like a low risk pick to me from that standpoint.

Will he play 16 games, I doubt it. He doesn't have the size and if he's dinged up, they have a few guys on the team that can play. But any game he starts, he's certainly a threat to go over 100 yards and get 4 receptions for 30-40 yards.

I saw that - and I blame the OL, which played like crap.

Esp. when you consider Anderson looked even WORSE behind that line.

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential.  I feel Griffin is too risky...
Well there are two versions...one version for the average Joe and another version for those who like Mathematics like me :nerd: I started working on it two years ago when I began asking myself why I very rarely lose at this game. I've been watching the same mistakes made over and over for the last 15 years and I can't believe nobody has caught onto the very simple idea...DON'T TAKE UNECESSARY RISKS in the early rounds. Anyhow, this thread isn't about my study. I just wanted to say I agree 100% with Unlucky's and Wimer's philosophy.

Maybe, just maybe, it was because their best RB isn't on the field yet.Just throwing out an alternative possibility..

So whats that say when a guy has a pretty good game running behind an O line that had a bad night?

So, does your league offer compensatory points if the poor performance of your RB is due to a crappy O-line?

So, does your league offer compensatory points if the poor performance of your RB is due to a crappy O-line?
:rotflmao:

A note on my overall strategy - it's more important that the guys you pick don't bust than making sure you don't miss out on a guy with potential.  I feel Griffin is too risky...
Well there are two versions...one version for the average Joe and another version for those who like Mathematics like me :nerd: I started working on it two years ago when I began asking myself why I very rarely lose at this game. I've been watching the same mistakes made over and over for the last 15 years and I can't believe nobody has caught onto the very simple idea...DON'T TAKE UNECESSARY RISKS in the early rounds. Anyhow, this thread isn't about my study. I just wanted to say I agree 100% with Unlucky's and Wimer's philosophy.
Lhucks,Before tonight Griffin wasn't considered a low pick. I can recall your comments in the staff survivor league and someone picked griffin, I think chase pretty late and you called it a wasted pick. So you were down and out on Griffin from day one, to me you're just changing your angle on saying Griffin is no good.I'd like to hear it now, again, if someone picked Griffin in the 8th round or so a month ago, would you consider that a wasted pick?Also, keep in mind everyone that Shanny all along has said Q is the starter. Everyone thought it was a smoke screen, mind games, whatever. Maybe, just maybe he sees in practice everyday just what this guy can do. What Q brings to the offense that the other RB's can't.I haven't heard Shanny say that Bell, Anderson, or Hearst are the starters. I've heard him say Q. Griffin is the starter and he played like he was the best tonight.

All of a sudden everyone jumps on the Q bandwagon :rolleyes:
Don't worry, we have plenty of threads around here on this topic as this was a hot topic the past few months.What Jason Wood says is correct. If Q goes 6 carries for 11 yards next time out and someone else busts one or looks strong running the ball, this thread gets brought up and the "I told you so" posts start flying. Then in preseason week 4 Griffin rips a 40 yard run and the Q side starts up.I know it's the first game of the year, so we should be excited. The sharks have tasted blood for the first time of the season. Just remember that things do change quickly in this game.

You missed the point - Pony Boy stated (essentially) that the line looked like crap b/c their best back wasn't out there (I assume he calls that Bell). Unfortunately, Pony had pointed to 4 of Griffin's 9 runs running into a wall for no gain as an examnple of his point.My belief is the poor OL play, not the back behind the line, was the reason for the 4 of 9 hits into a wall. As further proof, I show you Mike Anderson's performance.I say that Griffin is going to be the man behind that line - for good or ill - unless Bell comes out the next three weeks and is INsane.Since this exercise is to predict the Broncos main back/opening day starter, only a blind fool would continue to disagree that Griffin is currently the Broncos best back, with only the unknown x-factor of Bell potentially unseating him or that Shannie will hesitate to use Griffin 20-25 times a game. Plus, Griffin showed excellent ability to chew up yardage on swing out passes.It is eminently clear to me from TC reports and this game that Shannie has every confidence to run with Griffin this year as the feature. I continue to question whether Griffin will hold up. I continue to have doubts about his ability to hold off a healthy Bell. I continue to question whether Griffin as opening day starter will be 4th game - or 8th game - starter.But, if I were drafting tomorrow, I would be taking Griffin as the Broncos starter and handcuffing only Bell to him - barring injury to Griffin, no back on the roster other than Bell will unseat Griffin as the Broncos starter.

You missed the point - Pony Boy stated (essentially) that the line looked like crap b/c their best back wasn't out there (I assume he calls that Bell). Unfortunately, Pony had pointed to 4 of Griffin's 9 runs running into a wall for no gain as an examnple of his point.My belief is the poor OL play, not the back behind the line, was the reason for the 4 of 9 hits into a wall. As further proof, I show you Mike Anderson's performance.I say that Griffin is going to be the man behind that line - for good or ill - unless Bell comes out the next three weeks and is INsane.Since this exercise is to predict the Broncos main back/opening day starter, only a blind fool would continue to disagree that Griffin is currently the Broncos best back, with only the unknown x-factor of Bell potentially unseating him or that Shannie will hesitate to use Griffin 20-25 times a game. Plus, Griffin showed excellent ability to chew up yardage on swing out passes.It is eminently clear to me from TC reports and this game that Shannie has every confidence to run with Griffin this year as the feature. I continue to question whether Griffin will hold up. I continue to have doubts about his ability to hold off a healthy Bell. I continue to question whether Griffin as opening day starter will be 4th game - or 8th game - starter.But, if I were drafting tomorrow, I would be taking Griffin as the Broncos starter and handcuffing only Bell to him - barring injury to Griffin, no back on the roster other than Bell will unseat Griffin as the Broncos starter.
:goodposting:

Never EVER overreact to preseason stats...
Not everyone is excited about his stats. Some of us are excited about his quickness, vision, burst through the hole, cutting ability, and balance.
All of which were on demonstration tonight, whether it happened to come against a bad run defense or not its still encouraging to see if you're a Q owner!!

Hey Big Daddy,

No reason for the rolleyes, and yes, I am openly discussing a difference in philosophy with anyone who thinks Griffin should be upgraded on this news, Joe and David included. You do realize that we staff are allowed to, and frequently do, disagree on certain players and situations right?

All the best,

Woodrow
I gotta back Jason Wood up on that point -- this staff is not monolithic in structure, and there aren't reprisals for taking a non-party line -- Jason and I have been analyzing the Denver situation all throughout pre-season: Tatum Bell Face-off

Quentin Griffin Face-Off

As a matter of fact, Joe and David expect well-reasoned differences between staff members to emerge in the course of every "position" dispute -- that's why they have retained such an extensive staff of contributors to write/comment about our respective perceptions of the fantasy landscape. If they wanted our rankings to be lock-step along party lines, we'd only have a handful of contributors around.

I'll also point out (again) that I had Quentin Griffin ranked at #13 before the pre-season game tonight (because I want to emphasize that one pre-season game, while making me look pretty good :D , was not the impetus for my ranking of Griffin). I've been on the Griffin "bandwagon" (a pretty lonely bandwagon up until 8/9/04, may I add) from day one this season, and if he does well, I'll have some (limited) creds to crow about the next time I see Jason. Of course, Jason's analysis all preceded the badly broken finger that Bell suffered, so he's at a disadvantage regarding the texts cited above. His opinion would (is) be different given current reality, you can be sure.

If Bell ends up being the next "Bronco Back" after his finger is healed up, you can be sure Jason will "remind" me about that in due course...

If Mike Anderson ends up Shanny's guy, BTW, then Chris Smith (ranks Anderson 37th as of 8/9/04, highest of any FBG pre-8/9/04 pre-season MNF game) gets huge bragging rights.

It's all good fun, in the end. That's why I love my job.

My .02. -- MW

I only read page 4 of this, and it was mostly garbage. So, I'll now throw my trash onto the pile... :D One guy is so absurdly biased against Griffin that I will always take his opinion, now, with a very large grain of salt...the size of Gibralter.One guy backtracked.Another guy has it all figured out.Instead of avatars, I would love to know the college affiliation/love and/or the region from which each poster is from. It would help me make more sense of posts.The nickname Q is gay...but, the nickname Qdog is certifiably gay. Are you listening JLew/JLo wannabes? Oh, and two guys think they are God.Carry on...

Users who are viewing this thread