What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How good are the Atlanta Falcons? (1 Viewer)

Predict how far the Falcons will go this year:

• won't make playoffs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose in 1st round of playoffs

• Lose in 2nd round of playoffs

• Lose in NFC Championship Game

• Lose the Superbowl

• Win the Superbowl

• Total voters

Ayn Rand Fan

Footballguy
Last week I watched them for the first time for a whole game. I own Michael Turner, so I've been meaning to watch them before, but for whatever reason I hadn't done so. Their opponent was the Saints, a pretty good team IMO.

I was very impressed. I was SO impressed, that since I needed a starting QB (I own Favre, who has been disappointing) I traded Marion Barber for Matt Ryan and Jason Witten. (I'm worried about Barber against tough teams in the FF playoffs; plus I will benefit from ANY tight end production- my best TE was John Carlson.)

So I'm hoping and counting on Ryan continuing to put up big numbers. But my larger question is: how good is this team? Their defense looked ferocious,l especially the pass rush. Their offensive line opened up big holes, and gave Ryan plenty of protection. He threw wonderful spirals, and Roddy White suddenly looks like an elite WR (he's certainly putting up elite numbers- I wish I owned him). Do you guys see this team going deep in the playoffs, possibly challenging the Giants for NFC supremacy? Like to get some predictions here on where this Falcon team will end up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a poll question. I predict the Falcons make it to the NFC Championship game, and lose a close contest to the Giants.

I actually think they've become a bit overrated.

They've played three teams that they could possibly face in the NFC playoffs (Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Philadelphia) and they've lost by 15, 15, and 13.

Other than two narrow wins (2 and 3 pts.) over .500ish teams in Green BAy and Chicago, they've only really been impressive against bad teams.

With a rookie QB and young skill players (Turner and R. White), I do think they have a very briught future, however.

I actually think they've become a bit overrated.

They've played three teams that they could possibly face in the NFC playoffs (Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Philadelphia) and they've lost by 15, 15, and 13.

Other than two narrow wins (2 and 3 pts.) over .500ish teams in Green BAy and Chicago, they've only really been impressive against bad teams.

With a rookie QB and young skill players (Turner and R. White), I do think they have a very briught future, however.
This could be so. I'm probably overreacting to one game, and I haven't seen a whole lot of Tampa or the Panthers,either. I was just really impressed by two factors:1. How well they played defense against a good offense.

2. The Falcons offense was not just good, it was dynamic. They're going to put up points.

I think they'll battle with the Bucs + the NFC East for the last wildcard in the NFC and lose to the Cards or Panthers in round 1 if they make it.

They seem to be a team that is getter better and better each week. They are young and will need some luck. I'm not sure there are many teams who would be excited to meet them in the playoffs.

Isnt there some weird stat where the last place team in the nfc south wins the division for the past 4 years or something? Falcons finishing last, last year.

I think they'll battle with the Bucs + the NFC East for the last wildcard in the NFC and lose to the Cards or Panthers in round 1 if they make it.
As I wrote, I haven't really seen the Panthers, but I wasn't that impressed with the Cards Monday night. I thought the 49ers should have won that game.

It's dangerous to put too much stock in teams by watching one game, but the Falcons did look their best last Sunday. As they've done most Sundays, for that matter, with the exception of the TB and CAR games. The score in the Eagle's game doesn't indicate how close that game was. with 2:30 left, the Falcons were within one score and never got the chance to try due to a poor call by the ref on a muffed punt. That doesn't mean that TB and Carolina are that much better than the Falcons, in my mind. They were good teams who caught them before they got their feet underneath them. I'm anxious see the rematches.

I selected lose in the first round. I try to temper my homerism (which means I didn't pick the NFC Champ game), but I don't see any games on the schedule that scare me. Note that I don't say we'll win out, I just don't see any automatic Ls there. I look at the NFL landscape and only see a handful of teams that do, really. Giants, Titans and Steelers come to mind. Again, don't misread that. I'm not saying we'd ride roughshod over the NFL, just that I believe we can stand toe to toe with most any team at this point and give them all they can handle. I think that even more so with Foxworth in the mix. The secondary is vastly improved since he got the starter job.

We're fortunate that our two divisional road games came early. Ryan got a quick education and should be better suited to beat those teams next time, and we get them both at home, where we're 4-0 and play their best football. We'll see if Carolina's troubles in Oakland were temporary this week. A perfect scenario for me is, Minny squeaks one out in TB, and the Lions pull off the major upset in Carolina. Then week 12 becomes a battle for the NFC South between Atlanta and Carolina. Unlikely, but gotta go hope for something.

Same goes for the Cards, too, I wouldn't judge them on the SF game. Divisional games can do that, sometimes.

ETA, love your avatar and handle, I'm a big Rand fan.

Living in Atlanta I've had the chance to watch the Falcons and that's a good team and they get better every week. They're one of the teams that you don't want to go on a run because they play with a certain confidence/swagger . It wouldn't shock me if they beat the Panthers and the Bucs to take over the division. Even if they don't, that's a team to watch out for next year.

I think they squeak in with one of the last wildcard spots and lose early, but that's not a strike against them. More the fact that they're quite not there yet.

No matter what happens the rest of the way, what a magnificent job this franchise has done from top to bottom after the Vick debacle - especially when many of the so-called experts were expecting them to be in the running for the #1 pick overall in 2010.

As I wrote, I haven't really seen the Panthers, but I wasn't that impressed with the Cards Monday night. I thought the 49ers should have won that game.
The Cards are a tough out at home, which is where the game would be played.Atlanta's secondary is very beatable and it's no mystery what Arizona's strength on offense is.

I think Atl is a team that is good enough to make the playoffs but wont. Their division is just too tough and I don't see them winning it. I think Car will. Fighting for the last 2 playoff spots in the NFC is going to be huge task. There are just too many good teams (better teams) floating around in the NFC for me to pick Atl to make it. Any 2 of Wash, Dal, Philly, TB and Car could get in. This doesn't even factor in the NFC North non division winners who could be Minn, Chi or GB. I just don't see Atl being one of those 2 teams.

Users who are viewing this thread