What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How I Met Your Mother (1 Viewer)

Spending 22 episodes on one weekend and 1 episode on 25 years doesn't make much sense. But after the first 22 episodes of the season, I don't know what people were hoping for/expecting. What did you guys want, videos of Ted and Tracy vacationing in the Caribbean sipping pina coladas?
How about not building a whole series around the reveal, spending a year showing how Ted and Robin were never, ever, getting together again and then killing the wife and they get back together?
If the story was really supposed to be about him meeting the mother, does it make sense to exclude her for 98% of the story? I think the best way to make sense of the 9 seasons of storytelling is to have Ted ask the kids if it's okay for him to be with Robin.

Spending 22 episodes on one weekend and 1 episode on 25 years doesn't make much sense. But after the first 22 episodes of the season, I don't know what people were hoping for/expecting. What did you guys want, videos of Ted and Tracy vacationing in the Caribbean sipping pina coladas?
:goodposting:

I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Rayderr said:
FreeBaGeL said:
zamboni said:
The real life kids were the same age in this last episode as they were 8 years ago.
I don't think they were. Anyone have any screen caps of the two?
They were. They pre-recorded all the kids stuff back then becuase they would age. Hence why it looked a bit odd since the kids were in SD and Ted was in HD.
That makes sense. At first I thought it was CGI over their faces
They are sitting on a different couch than they were in the pilot and the kids look older/bigger in the finale.

Rayderr said:
FreeBaGeL said:
zamboni said:
The real life kids were the same age in this last episode as they were 8 years ago.
They were. They pre-recorded all the kids stuff back then becuase they would age. Hence why it looked a bit odd since the kids were in SD and Ted was in HD.
[tv nerd] I kinda doubt that. No primetime scripted network TV show has shot in SD since the 80s, I think. Like, Family Ties. Footage of the kids would have been either shot live on film or HDCam in season 2, and remastered to digibeta for SD broadcast. But the original footage would still have been archived in HD. Even Seinfeld is broadcast in HD now because they remastered the original film negatives that were shot in the 90s. [/tv nerd]

Last edited by a moderator:
Having only watched about 60% of the show and thus not be "as" invested as some people on here.. I can see where if you take it at face value and:

Barney - gets divorced, runs uber bachelor schtick into his 40's until his odds finally catch up to him and he knocks a chick up....

Robin - achieves career success at the expensive of her marriage and any chance of love

Marshall - has to suffer through an agonizing job for years but then does get a judge job but has lost most of the contact with his friends

Lily - again is probably happy with family life but is disappointed in the loss of contact with her friends

Ted - does meet the one and has a good run only for her to end in death tragically

and then for the entire premise to be that he explained all this crap to his kids so that they'd sign off on him (in his.. what late 40's? 50's?) going after Robin again.... (which it already seems odd that anyone would maintain a relationship of any sort with a ex-girlfriend who he then watched bang his buddy and then witness them get married.. and divorced..).. I can see where that would be a disappointment.

But if you cut out a lot of the crap and peel it back as a semi-fan... you've got a show with a pretty real premise.... life is about love and sometimes loss and a lot of change... the lead character loves, lost, and gets redemption in the end.... The show unfolded almost simultaneously as a lot of the same stuff the characters went through unfolded in my own life... marriage, kid, beginning of the loss of contact with friends and a lot less fun nights.. and in that sense it was almost too real.. and a bit depressing, but relatively well done

How about not building a whole series around the reveal, spending a year showing how Ted and Robin were never, ever, getting together again and then killing the wife and they get back together?
I would have been happy if they had the flash forwards but seeing glimpses of their lives weaving in and out. I LIKED Barney and Robin together. Barney did change for her and only reverted because of the divorce. And the reason for the divorce? Not his cheating but her work. I never liked Ted and Robin together. I really wish the end scene was him finally talking to the Mother on the platform. The ONLY reason Ted and Robin work in the future? Ted already has kids who are grown, so Robin doesn't have to play mommy and Robin being sick of her job traveling too much.

Having only watched about 60% of the show and thus not be "as" invested as some people on here.. I can see where if you take it at face value and:

Barney - gets divorced, runs uber bachelor schtick into his 40's until his odds finally catch up to him and he knocks a chick up....

Robin - achieves career success at the expensive of her marriage and any chance of love

Marshall - has to suffer through an agonizing job for years but then does get a judge job but has lost most of the contact with his friends

Lily - again is probably happy with family life but is disappointed in the loss of contact with her friends

Ted - does meet the one and has a good run only for her to end in death tragically

and then for the entire premise to be that he explained all this crap to his kids so that they'd sign off on him (in his.. what late 40's? 50's?) going after Robin again.... (which it already seems odd that anyone would maintain a relationship of any sort with a ex-girlfriend who he then watched bang his buddy and then witness them get married.. and divorced..).. I can see where that would be a disappointment.
In 2030, Ted is 52 and Robin is 50.

Rayderr said:
FreeBaGeL said:
zamboni said:
They are sitting on a different couch than they were in the pilot and the kids look older/bigger in the finale.
That was filmed a year after the pilot. The kids are in their 20's now. I still wish they thought ahead enough to film a generic reaction so they weren't stuck doing the Robin/Ted ending.

This is how the kids look now (well, this past summer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u02vOZoI4Pw

Rayderr said:
FreeBaGeL said:
zamboni said:
That was filmed a year after the pilot. The kids are in their 20's now. I still wish they thought ahead enough to film a generic reaction so they weren't stuck doing the Robin/Ted ending.
They didn't need the kids. They could have abandoned them after the pilot or season 2 or season 9 and the show wouldn't have been any different.

Rayderr said:
FreeBaGeL said:
zamboni said:
They didn't need the kids. They could have abandoned them after the pilot or season 2 or season 9 and the show wouldn't have been any different.
This too. Or just give the kids' blank stare that they usually do for the reaction shot. They probably started tuning out of Ted's story years ago.

So this was Ted's way of manipulating his kids to give him the green light to move past their beloved dead mother, and go hit on Robin... again.

It didn't work because it was so dragged out, they beat the Robin/Ted thing about a half a dozen times AND the mother and Ted had such good chemistry they ended up becoming the couple that fans wanted to see together. As a generic story....it would have worked....but not with these characters.

That story would have worked if the show ended after the 5/6 season, where they would went to the well on Robin/Ted only once or twice after their breakup. It didn't work because they put Robin in a holding pattern with Barney for two years; to the pointwhere it was weird with Ted still openly pining for her. It would have been better if Robin stayed with any of the jabronis that she was with before Barney.

It might have even worked better if they, after beating us over the head with the "we need to be there for big moments" they held Robin back until Ted needed his friends after his wifes death. They should have spend the whole season building Mother/Ted in a relationship so her death had meaning with Robin coming back as a signal of her commitment to her friends....instead the death is barely a blurb and I'm half surprised they didn't ham fist Lilly saying something like " Now that that BEEECH is out of the way....the gang can get back together AGAIN and Ted....you can be with Robin". Hell....as it stands now, I'm not even sure Ted wasn't settling for The Mother because he couldn't be with Robin.

I'm a TV junkie so I only checked in for the series finale (as I do for most "big" show conclusions)..

I think this finale worked alot better for the "casual" fan than it did for someone who invested 9 years in the show. I knew the broad strokes but didn't know the intricacies and I really enjoyed what the finale offered.

I'd rather see flash forwards for an entire season(like Barney becoming a dad) than everything crammed into one episode. Even if the finale is completely obvious at least it builds to that right moment(Ted and Robin together is the right ending they just botched the lead up to it) and they give they us the pay off that everybody sees coming.

A lot of people here and on social media watch TV shows trying to predict the ending, calling what happened, or being able to tell people what they saw coming from a mile away. They don't want to be entertained, they wanna outsmart the show. It's caused the creators of these shows to come up with elaborate plot twists that don't fit, just so it doesn't get figured out. It's not a bad thing to take the easy way out and make a show end in an the most obvious way. (Dexter should have died on a table via lethal injection)

I'd rather see flash forwards for an entire season(like Barney becoming a dad) than everything crammed into one episode. Even if the finale is completely obvious at least it builds to that right moment(Ted and Robin together is the right ending they just botched the lead up to it) and they give they us the pay off that everybody sees coming.

Everybody here and on social media watch TV shows with the lone purpose of trying to predict the ending, calling what happened, or being able to tell people they saw coming from a mile away. Nobody wants to be entertained, they wanna outsmart the show. It's caused the creators of these shows to come up with elaborate plot twists that don't fit, just so it doesn't get figured out. It's not a bad thing to take the easy way out and make a show end in an the most obvious way. (Dexter should have died on a table via lethal injection)
um i don't watch shows to predict endings...sure I'll guess but i don't care that much

Everybody here and on social media watch TV shows with the lone purpose of trying to predict the ending, calling what happened, or being able to tell people they saw coming from a mile away. Nobody wants to be entertained, they wanna outsmart the show. It's caused the creators of these shows to come up with elaborate plot twists that don't fit, just so it doesn't get figured out. It's not a bad thing to take the easy way out and make a show end in an the most obvious way. (Dexter should have died on a table via lethal injection)
um i don't watch shows to predict endings...sure I'll guess but i don't care that much
You're right. Edited.

You're right. Edited.
wasn't trying to be jerky about it... i honestly don't know how people use that much energy trying to put pieces together...why i never watched Lost :unsure:

You're right. Edited.
wasn't trying to be jerky about it... i honestly don't know how people use that much energy trying to put pieces together...why i never watched Lost :unsure:
I don't bother predicting too much, but I think he's got a point that writers get themselves in trouble wanting to throw in a curveball ending that might not be predictable.

It might not be the best idea, as those are precisely the endings that seem to really piss off fans. Fans clearly don't want the curveball.

Endings fans love generally aren't "shocking". The Shield might be an exception, but like Breaking Bad, it was really just an intense ending that naturally followed where the freight train was heading.

This is how the kids look now (well, this past summer): https://www.youtube....h?v=u02vOZoI4Pw
What am I missing here? The way the kids looked in that trailer is the same as the way they looked in the finale.

Been a fan since the pilot. Have watched each episode of the first few seasons a few times thanks to reruns/Netflix, and have "hung in" during the ups and downs of the quality the last few seasons too.

A few thoughts:

1. First and foremost, I think to say that Ted still wanting Robin all these years later isn't exactly what they've been writing about for 9 years is to say that you haven't been paying attention. The whole "why are they beating the Ted/Robin horse" again is exactly that.

This is a pretty good overview of Ted/Robin http://youtu.be/IJx7mERoZHg

2. The name of the show is "How I Met Your Mother", not "How I Dated Your Mother", "What life was like with your mother" or anything in that vein, so I think it isn't a big deal that they didn't spend a lot of time on them as a couple. That written, I do wonder if they had known how good the chemistry would be between the actors, if they might have spent more time on it. I mean, it would be pretty bad if he was telling this epic tale, and then once you saw them as a couple, it didn't look like they should be a couple.

3. Now usually, when you describe how you met your SO, you tell just the train station story, with some of the overlaps if you are dramatic (econ class, st. patty's day, dating the roommate, and I'd probably add the Barney/drugstore as that was the event that put them at the wedding) - but even if you ignore the fact they were trying to get seasons and seasons out of this, vs a miniseries, it makes sense that he would try to get the kids on board. Given their reaction in the pilot (not seeing her as someone he could be romantic with), he would have needed to make sure they "got it". The part that seems off for me is that they seemed so shocked back then, but now say its obvious that he has the hots for her.

This was a marriage fantasy. He wanted to marry "The One", and he did. But he also wanted to be with The One Who Got Away, and he got to do that, too. So he marries the mother, she dies, and the show ends with him making the big romantic gesture to Robin. Except that's where it ends. Not with him actually marrying her, or spending any time with her. Just with the big exciting moment of the two of them getting together again. We've seen that before.

It doesn't work. They don't work. They're a terrible couple. He's an annoying smarmy pie in the sky optimist. He wants everything to be perfect, so much so that nothing will ever live up to his lofty expectations and he's always miserable. Even when he met the perfect woman, he overromanticized sitting by her bedside and watching her die. Oh look, he's reading a book to her.

She's a horrible ##### who wants everyone to care about her career while she talks #### about everyone and everything. She hates her job? No ####. Her coworkers too? That's surprising. Maybe she'll make everyone watch her co-anchor again to tell her how awful they are and how great she is. Oh, and by the way, don't bother telling her you love her, because she hates that. Don't talk about your career, because that's not important to her. She's a wretched choice for a wife.

But once they're 50, and they're both past the career climbing, child rearing, still enjoying the world phase of their lives, maybe now they're finally a good couple. After she's tried and failed at marriage, and he waited for fate to deliver his true love and then fate punched him in the gut by giving her a terminal illness. They're both finally so beaten down that they're looking for someone they can be friends with because they don't really care about being a couple anymore.

It sounds terrible, but that's secretly what we all want. I challenge you to find a married person who doesn't once in a while think, hey, if my spouse were to die suddenly, I'd wait a respectful amount of time, but then here's what I'd do. Or replay some past romance in their head, thinking about how they could have changed their life if they'd just done this instead of that. It doesn't matter how much you love your wife, you want to have your cake and eat it too. And that's exactly what Ted and Robin got.

So this was Ted's way of manipulating his kids to give him the green light to move past their beloved dead mother, and go hit on Robin... again.
On the DVD you're going to find out it was all a page from The Playbook entitled "The Norman Bates".

Bob Sacamano said:
D-Day said:
On the DVD you're going to find out it was all a page from The Playbook entitled "The Norman Master Bates".
fixed

kardplayer said:
1. First and foremost, I think to say that Ted still wanting Robin all these years later isn't exactly what they've been writing about for 9 years is to say that you haven't been paying attention. The whole "why are they beating the Ted/Robin horse" again is exactly that.

I don't think people who watched season after season missed that aspect of the show, I think the disappointment for those like me is the message at the end.

Ted the ultra romantic often got in his own way going too fast and trying big gestures. Finally after all those girls and all those tries to get Robin, finally he was leaving New York and her behind but instead of forcing fate's hand like he liked to try, fate subtly puts this woman in front of him that no big romantic gesture was needed. They start to talk and realize right away there is a funny history there. He didn't need to steal a blue horn for her or travel all over to find a locket though obvious Ted would in a heartbeat.

'Kids, as your mother and I talked I realized more and more the number of times fate tried to put us together but I wasn't ready. Until Robin married Barney, I still deep down still thought we'd end up together and I'd have this epic story to tell you about our journey. But fate knew something that I didn't which is you can't force the happy ending, it just happens when it is ready. Finally I was ready so there was your mother right in front of me. And in the end, I feel like I got a much better and epic story….'

I realize I suck at writing but the point is, I think it would have been a much better ending if the message was in the end him getting over Robin was him getting ready to meet the one instead of letting it affect relationships and not hey I met a great girl that was super awesome to spend time with until fate let me go after Robin again. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, the girl who got away wasn't who I should have ended up with, I ended up with exactly the right person.

From day 1 of the story Ted was so focused on meeting the one that it would have been a great end that he met the one when he wasn't looking. Now it feels like he's forcing things again. Big epic story to his kids so he could get permission. Get the blue horn was meant as a funny tip to the hat of what he did before but again goes out of his way to something 'big'.

I guess in the end I find it weak the story to meet the mother was just a cog in the engine to get back with Robin.

I guess in the end I find it weak the story to meet the mother was just a cog in the engine to get back with Robin.
You say it like Ted jumped immediately from The Mother to Robin, when in fact it took over 15 years to happen.

Besides, the show never confirms that Ted actually gets back together with Robin. The show ends with him outside her door. No one knows what happens after that.

You say it like Ted jumped immediately from The Mother to Robin, when in fact it took over 15 years to happen.

Besides, the show never confirms that Ted actually gets back together with Robin. The show ends with him outside her door. No one knows what happens after that.
Ted would have left for Chicago if not for meeting The Mother.

kardplayer said:

I don't think people who watched season after season missed that aspect of the show, I think the disappointment for those like me is the message at the end.

Ted the ultra romantic often got in his own way going too fast and trying big gestures. Finally after all those girls and all those tries to get Robin, finally he was leaving New York and her behind but instead of forcing fate's hand like he liked to try, fate subtly puts this woman in front of him that no big romantic gesture was needed. They start to talk and realize right away there is a funny history there. He didn't need to steal a blue horn for her or travel all over to find a locket though obvious Ted would in a heartbeat.

'Kids, as your mother and I talked I realized more and more the number of times fate tried to put us together but I wasn't ready. Until Robin married Barney, I still deep down still thought we'd end up together and I'd have this epic story to tell you about our journey. But fate knew something that I didn't which is you can't force the happy ending, it just happens when it is ready. Finally I was ready so there was your mother right in front of me. And in the end, I feel like I got a much better and epic story….'

I realize I suck at writing but the point is, I think it would have been a much better ending if the message was in the end him getting over Robin was him getting ready to meet the one instead of letting it affect relationships and not hey I met a great girl that was super awesome to spend time with until fate let me go after Robin again. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, the girl who got away wasn't who I should have ended up with, I ended up with exactly the right person.

From day 1 of the story Ted was so focused on meeting the one that it would have been a great end that he met the one when he wasn't looking. Now it feels like he's forcing things again. Big epic story to his kids so he could get permission. Get the blue horn was meant as a funny tip to the hat of what he did before but again goes out of his way to something 'big'.

I don't think he learned that much about rushing in before the Mother came along. As Thunderlips posted, he did give up a job for her. He also called her the next day, took her back to the "place" they met to get engaged. She also liked him for who he was - she laughed at his "shellfish" joke in the lecture, was into the renaissance fair, etc. Thus, going back to the "big gesture" for Robin makes sense - Teddy Westside only has one play in his playbook "The Go Big or Go Home" and he runs it and runs it and runs it.

I honestly don't know if there was anything they could have done to truly not leave an "empty" feeling in those of us who have been on board since the beginning.

I honestly don't know if there was anything they could have done to truly not leave an "empty" feeling in those of us who have been on board since the beginning.
If they would have ended it with Ted and Tracy on the train station I don't think many ppl would have had an empty feeling.

If they would have ended it with Ted and Tracy on the train station I don't think many ppl would have had an empty feeling.
Yeah....I'm not even a huge fan of the show....but the show didn't need a "swerve" in the finale.

I don't mind the swerve, but I at least wish they wouldn't have half-assed it. They glossed right over the mother's death at the end almost as if it was just a footnote. They should have given that some screen time to make us really feel it if they wanted it to have an impact.

kardplayer said:
Been a fan since the pilot. Have watched each episode of the first few seasons a few times thanks to reruns/Netflix, and have "hung in" during the ups and downs of the quality the last few seasons too.

A few thoughts:

2. The name of the show is "How I Met Your Mother", not "How I Dated Your Mother", "What life was like with your mother" or anything in that vein, so I think it isn't a big deal that they didn't spend a lot of time on them as a couple. That written, I do wonder if they had known how good the chemistry would be between the actors, if they might have spent more time on it. I mean, it would be pretty bad if he was telling this epic tale, and then once you saw them as a couple, it didn't look like they should be a couple.

3. Now usually, when you describe how you met your SO, you tell just the train station story, with some of the overlaps if you are dramatic (econ class, st. patty's day, dating the roommate, and I'd probably add the Barney/drugstore as that was the event that put them at the wedding) - but even if you ignore the fact they were trying to get seasons and seasons out of this, vs a miniseries, it makes sense that he would try to get the kids on board. Given their reaction in the pilot (not seeing her as someone he could be romantic with), he would have needed to make sure they "got it". The part that seems off for me is that they seemed so shocked back then, but now say its obvious that he has the hots for her.
1) Sure they've been writing it. They've just been writing it poorly. After the first few seasons they could have gotten away with this, but not after how horrible Ted and Robin together became.

2) Its just a title. When the choice was between writing a good show and keeping the title meaningful, they chose the wrong direction.

3) No one after listening to that story would think Ted and Robin should try to date again. No one.

Should have played "Rains of Castamere" at Barney and Robin's wedding.
am am fairly positive that her walk up song was an orchestra version of Sandcastles in the Sand
If the show's finale had been a homage to Game of Thrones it would've been better than what it was.

Possibly the only show with the stones to do something that crazy as a series finale will be Community.

Oof... this knucklehead doesn't get it:

Series co-creator and executive producer Carter Bays took to his Twitter on Friday to address the finale:

"If you didn't like the finale, I guess that happens. We tried something and it didn't connect with you. I hope we're still friends."

I stopped watching the show regularly a couple of years ago. I DVR'd the finale and just got around to watching it and thought it was extremely well done. I will admit I always thought Ted and Robin were meant to be together and Barney and Robin never worked for me so maybe that played a part in it. Since I stopped following the show regularly I didn't know there was so much criticism of the finale. I didn't realize it until I saw Neil Patrick Harris talk about it on Letterman this week. For me, the finale worked and that's coming from someone who got bored by the show a couple of years ago. The final scene worked for me because I liked Ted and Robin together but I also think they could've ended it with Ted and the mom in the rain and that would've worked as well. But overall, I thought the episode did a good job of bringing the story to a close.

A big reason you liked it and others didn't is because you missed the last couple years and didn't have the Ted/Robin stuff beaten into your head like the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread