What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Often Are People You Meet Online Legit / Real People (2 Viewers)

So....you're a single guy who was just minding his own business when a good looking gal 'accidentally' sent you a LinkedIn email. A little back-n-forth to let her know she sent that email to the wrong guy but instead of apologizing and going on her way, she's decided to continue messaging you, sending you pics, etc.

I'll ask you this: Why? Why is she doing that?

LOL at this post. It's almost like it's 2003 and you're not aware of the scammer's playbook. Pics don't hold any weight. They're plentiful and easily obtained. One thing 'she' will never do for you though: video chat.

76 posts since 2004 all in the political forum.

My guess is that blinky is not real and is an alias.
Well duh. That should have been obvious. But yes, I am a real person. It's tough having aliases that have been around for years.

As far as determining if mystery person is who she says she is, during our conversations, I have asked her to send pics at intermittent times. For example, she would say she was at store XYZ shopping for dresses. I would ask for a pic to see what sense of style she had, and she would send a pic of her with the dresses. I said I liked dress #4 then a few minutes later she sent a pic of her in dress #4 trying it on in the dressing room.

She said she was out after work with people from work grabbing dinner . . . I'd ask what she was eating, she'd immediately send a pic of her plate or her having a drink after with her friends at the bar. On the weekend, I asked what she was up to, and she said she was on a boat fishing. Then she immediately sent a pic of her on the boat with a fishing rod.

Tying everything together, the people in the pics involving friends from work are all the same people (both at and away from work). Pictures of her house / pets / yard all are from the same place. Whenever the discussion involved a place or activity, there were supporting pics that aligned with the discussion. I have intentionally shifted topics in a shotgun manner, and she responded in kind. For example, I asked out of nowhere pretty randomly if she have any pets. She answered she had two dogs, they were sitting right next to her at home, and she sent me a picture.

Yup, I get it, this could be a professional con job. They could have very effectively mapped out some pics to go with the storyline to have at the ready. I could be typical John Q. Public and they have planned for my every move. For now, it just seems like she is lonely and wants someone to talk to. But what do I know . . . that could be the bait on the hook.

All I am trying to figure out is if this in an actual person. Obviously, I am not going to have a relationship with someone that lives across the country. I wasn't looking for some Cinderella story and to be drawn into some cross-country online thing. It's pretty simple, either this person is who they claim to be (doubtful) or the whole thing is a scam / hoax (much more likely than not). At this point, I am actually more interested in seeing what the scam is than anything else (and when that gets revealed). I certainly will not be supplying any money or personal information, so again, not sure what the point of this is (maybe that will be revealed soon).
I agree with the consensus. It's a scam.

So you should do what others have suggested - a video chat. There's a 100% chance that she won't do it.

So....you're a single guy who was just minding his own business when a good looking gal 'accidentally' sent you a LinkedIn email. A little back-n-forth to let her know she sent that email to the wrong guy but instead of apologizing and going on her way, she's decided to continue messaging you, sending you pics, etc.

I'm with you. The whole thing sounds sketchy as all get out. The beginning went mostly like this.

She reached out asking if I was involved in Business X. I responded by saying, sorry, I was not involved in Business X, I was involved in Business Y. She apologized and went about her way, and I thought we were done. Later in the day, she reached out to me again and asked about what I did involving Business Y. I sent her a brief description, she thanked me, and that was that.

The next day, she messaged me asking for more information about my involvement in Business Y, indicating at some point she or her company might be interested in doing business. At this point, there was no exchange of any personal information at all. I asked for more information about her and her company (like people do on LinkedIn) to see if I might be able to provide her / them with a service. A few hours later she mentioned she doesn't use LinkedIn all that much, she was going to be out and about, could I just text her instead as that was an easier way to communicate.

Once we started texting, I asked how she got involved in what she was doing, and she asked how I got involved in what I am doing. When I asked again if there were any business opportunities, she said she would keep my information, but she / her company didn't need anything right now. I again thought that would be the end of it.

As we were winding down our texting exchange and not even knowing where she was geographically (she was 2,000 miles away from what her profile said she was), she mentioned she was headed to Location 123. I asked if she meant Location 123 in state XX and mentioned I used to live near Location 123 years ago (which she would have no way of knowing . . . it's not on my profile). Then we started talking about Location 123.

Given that I had lived near where she lives, we started talking about the area, what places are still there or not, places where I used to go, etc. That's when she commented that I sounded fun and interesting because we both liked going to similar places. She asked if I would stay in touch with her even though there was no business opportunity there. At this point, I said sure, why not and was not expecting to hear back from her any time soon. She texted me again the next day with small talk (how's your day been so far), and things sort of ramped up from there.

No, I have not committed some sin or had impure thoughts about this person. It's just been fun shooting the breeze with back and forth. I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop and hear about the scam . . . but for now there hasn't been much revealed on that front.

I'm with you. The whole thing sounds sketchy as all get out. The beginning went mostly like this.

She reached out asking if I was involved in Business X. I responded by saying, sorry, I was not involved in Business X, I was involved in Business Y. She apologized and went about her way, and I thought we were done. Later in the day, she reached out to me again and asked about what I did involving Business Y. I sent her a brief description, she thanked me, and that was that.

The next day, she messaged me asking for more information about my involvement in Business Y, indicating at some point she or her company might be interested in doing business. At this point, there was no exchange of any personal information at all. I asked for more information about her and her company (like people do on LinkedIn) to see if I might be able to provide her / them with a service. A few hours later she mentioned she doesn't use LinkedIn all that much, she was going to be out and about, could I just text her instead as that was an easier way to communicate.

Once we started texting, I asked how she got involved in what she was doing, and she asked how I got involved in what I am doing. When I asked again if there were any business opportunities, she said she would keep my information, but she / her company didn't need anything right now. I again thought that would be the end of it.

As we were winding down our texting exchange and not even knowing where she was geographically (she was 2,000 miles away from what her profile said she was), she mentioned she was headed to Location 123. I asked if she meant Location 123 in state XX and mentioned I used to live near Location 123 years ago (which she would have no way of knowing . . . it's not on my profile). Then we started talking about Location 123.

Given that I had lived near where she lives, we started talking about the area, what places are still there or not, places where I used to go, etc. That's when she commented that I sounded fun and interesting because we both liked going to similar places. She asked if I would stay in touch with her even though there was no business opportunity there. At this point, I said sure, why not and was not expecting to hear back from her any time soon. She texted me again the next day with small talk (how's your day been so far), and things sort of ramped up from there.

No, I have not committed some sin or had impure thoughts about this person. It's just been fun shooting the breeze with back and forth. I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop and hear about the scam . . . but for now there hasn't been much revealed on that front.

I think I watched a Hallmark movie with this very plot when I was visiting my mom in the hospital 6 years ago. I look forward to the updates!

Do you have her name? PM me her name and business she's with and I'll let you know if she's real. I'm quite the sleuth.

Do you have her name? PM me her name and business she's with and I'll let you know if she's real. I'm quite the sleuth.

She might be real. Whether it’s actually her conversing is a different story.

I've tried to have a beer with @General Malaise several times but he always has an "excuse". I suspect he's fake.
I've blown off GM for beers on numerous occasions, but I can assure you he's real, and he's spectacular.

THATS BECAUSE I ALWAYS AGREE TO MEET WITH YOU WHEN IM IN YOUR CITY AND DONT BLOW YOU OFF LIKE YOU DO ME IN MY CITY GAWD ONE11111111!!!!!

The titles of Hallmark movies alone are great. But I guess that should be expected being they are a Hallmark moment.

I think I watched a Hallmark movie with this very plot when I was visiting my mom in the hospital 6 years ago. I look forward to the updates!
I like that you waited until she was in the hospital before you started watching hallmark movies.

The shame of catching you doing that might have killed her.

We watched one together called "Santa's Spicy Sauces" where a big city lawyer fresh off a miserable divorce travels back to a small town in NorCal because her mother's organic wallaby farm is the take-over target by a litigious and well monied land developer who also runs a quaint local Farmer's Market where his kind hearted brother sells hot sauces on the weekends while adopting rescue puppies out during the week. The big city lawyer bumps into the hot sauce guy and a spicy, magical Christmas was had by all!

At last . . . progress, my fellow sleuthers. I ended up doing an image search for the pics I was sent. I went through almost all of them and had turned up nothing. Until . . .

One had multiple hits. It was the profile pic for multiple foreign FB pages, a couple of LinkedIn profile pages for women with different names from different countries, one or two business sites, and a YouTube channel for someone with a guy's name. All with different date stamps across a 2-3 year period.

At last . . . progress, my fellow sleuthers. I ended up doing an image search for the pics I was sent. I went through almost all of them and had turned up nothing. Until . . .

One had multiple hits. It was the profile pic for multiple foreign FB pages, a couple of LinkedIn profile pages for women with different names from different countries, one or two business sites, and a YouTube channel for someone with a guy's name. All with different date stamps across a 2-3 year period.

Sorry. I guess you could play along if you’re bored. Likely a dude in Nigeria.

Now, the FFA gets involved.

Post the next text so we can respond accordingly.

this is 100% a scam. now the scammers know your number is active too;

The scammer's entire goal is to try to seem super sweet in the beginning so that they gain your trust and form a friendship or even a romantic relationship. Before you know it, the scammer is trying to get you to lend them money to help pay their rent or to invest in their crypto-currency scheme. Because they wait until they have a person's trust, the victim will fall for it because they think that the scammer is genuine.

you did!

Title: "Love Beyond the Screen"

Logline:
When Sarah, a kind-hearted small-town woman, falls for an online scammer, she embarks on a journey of love, trust, and redemption that challenges her belief in second chances.

Synopsis:
Sarah Thompson (played by a beloved Hallmark actress) runs a quaint bookshop in her picturesque hometown. Despite being surrounded by books, Sarah's life lacks excitement. One day, she stumbles upon a charming stranger named Mark (played by a charismatic Hallmark actor) on a social media platform. They strike up a conversation, sharing their dreams, and creating a deep connection. Little does Sarah know that Mark is actually a smooth-talking online scammer, manipulating her emotions and ultimately conning her out of a substantial amount of money.

As Sarah begins to realize she's been deceived, her trust in love is shattered. However, with the support of her best friend Emily and her beloved bookshop, she decides to track down the mysterious Mark. She believes that if she confronts him, she can find closure and rebuild her life.

Sarah's quest leads her on a cross-country journey, and as she uncovers the truth about Mark's real identity, she discovers unexpected layers to his story. He too has been a victim of circumstances and is torn between his past and the love he's developed for Sarah.

In the end, Sarah and Mark's paths cross, and they confront their past mistakes. Forgiveness and redemption become the central themes of this heartwarming Hallmark movie. As they work together to right the wrongs of their pasts, Sarah and Mark find that love can indeed transcend the boundaries of the digital world.

"Love Beyond the Screen" is a touching tale of second chances, learning to trust again, and the power of love to heal even the deepest wounds. With a charming small-town backdrop and a cast of endearing characters, this Hallmark movie will leave viewers believing that love can truly conquer all obstacles.

Man, I really hope this is a stealth Friday Thread. We haven't had a good one in a long time, and this has potential.
I'm hooked. This reads like it's real. What makes it more interesting (to me), is that this poster is likely mid 50s and married. Would he have continued the conversation with a "young guy" on linkedin? After it was clear that the young guy offered no potential business and the round about questions in the beginning were complete nonsense? Tsk, tsk.

you did!

Title: "Love Beyond the Screen"

Logline:
When Sarah, a kind-hearted small-town woman, falls for an online scammer, she embarks on a journey of love, trust, and redemption that challenges her belief in second chances.

Synopsis:
Sarah Thompson (played by a beloved Hallmark actress) runs a quaint bookshop in her picturesque hometown. Despite being surrounded by books, Sarah's life lacks excitement. One day, she stumbles upon a charming stranger named Mark (played by a charismatic Hallmark actor) on a social media platform. They strike up a conversation, sharing their dreams, and creating a deep connection. Little does Sarah know that Mark is actually a smooth-talking online scammer, manipulating her emotions and ultimately conning her out of a substantial amount of money.

As Sarah begins to realize she's been deceived, her trust in love is shattered. However, with the support of her best friend Emily and her beloved bookshop, she decides to track down the mysterious Mark. She believes that if she confronts him, she can find closure and rebuild her life.

Sarah's quest leads her on a cross-country journey, and as she uncovers the truth about Mark's real identity, she discovers unexpected layers to his story. He too has been a victim of circumstances and is torn between his past and the love he's developed for Sarah.

In the end, Sarah and Mark's paths cross, and they confront their past mistakes. Forgiveness and redemption become the central themes of this heartwarming Hallmark movie. As they work together to right the wrongs of their pasts, Sarah and Mark find that love can indeed transcend the boundaries of the digital world.

"Love Beyond the Screen" is a touching tale of second chances, learning to trust again, and the power of love to heal even the deepest wounds. With a charming small-town backdrop and a cast of endearing characters, this Hallmark movie will leave viewers believing that love can truly conquer all obstacles.
someone cutting onions in here?

Woman at work’s ex husband fell for one of these scams. Woman in the military needed help getting some gold bars she had found back from the Middle East. Sad cause they had two special needs kids and both her and him were convinced this was going to be their ticket to financial security. He talked to her on the phone, she talked to the kids. She was going to get the gold back, with his help and they were going to live happily ever after. He sent her like ten grand. She’s telling me about it and was having doubts because the girl kept breaking plans to finally see him. Told her to Google it and this scam was the first thing to pop up.

Yep, what X said. It will progress to getting you to send (a) a wire, (b) gift cards (Apple, Amazon, prepaid Visa etc.) or (c) crypto. We need something like a survey you can send to them, that will capture their IP address. Saw a dude on TikTok do this to find a scammer's location.

Or if they go the crypto route, set up a burner wallet (like MetaMask) and then get them to send you some BTC to make sure your wallet is working 😁

Yep, what X said. It will progress to getting you to send (a) a wire, (b) gift cards (Apple, Amazon, prepaid Visa etc.) or (c) crypto. We need something like a survey you can send to them, that will capture their IP address. Saw a dude on TikTok do this to find a scammer's location.

Or if they go the crypto route, set up a burner wallet (like MetaMask) and then get them to send you some BTC to make sure your wallet is working 😁

All that time, money and emotion invested and not even a hug :kicksrock:

Still don't know why the "why haven't you Facetimed" question hasn't been answered. It's simple: you ask, and if they deny or make excuses, it's painfully obvious.

Woman at work’s ex husband fell for one of these scams. Woman in the military needed help getting some gold bars she had found back from the Middle East. Sad cause they had two special needs kids and both her and him were convinced this was going to be their ticket to financial security. He talked to her on the phone, she talked to the kids. She was going to get the gold back, with his help and they were going to live happily ever after. He sent her like ten grand. She’s telling me about it and was having doubts because the girl kept breaking plans to finally see him. Told her to Google it and this scam was the first thing to pop up.
I can’t even comprehend how someone would fall for that.

Users who are viewing this thread