What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Often Are People You Meet Online Legit / Real People (3 Viewers)

I have a minimal online presence and hardly ever use social media. I've never used a dating app because I was never dating. Recently, someone reached out to me by accident through a business networking site. She was looking for someone else, and I explained I wasn't that person. We messaged back and forth a few times, she said I seemed funny and interesting, she gave me her number, and we started texting. That was a couple of weeks ago. Since then, we have messaged each other quite a bit and that is now a regular thing. All this seemed odd, but life is strange sometimes. In that time, it turns out that this person (allegedly) is stunningly beautiful, is the daughter of an international businessman, and is very well off. She lives across the country from me, and we've continued to chat. She's sent me plenty of pics of her, her house, where she works, places she hangs out, etc. I generally don't text or message people much, so even that part of this is very unusual for me.

I mentioned this to a couple of people, and to them it wasn't even debatable. This is 100% fake, there is no such person, and this somehow is part of an elaborate scam (one openly questioned if I was actually interacting with a woman). I'm inclined to agree that may likely be true, but I don't quite understand what the point would be if it is all a hoax. She hasn't asked for anything, tried to sell me anything, asked for any personal information, etc. If this person really is looking to scam me, what is the scam? I'd like to believe this person and situation is real. It is so crazy that it can't be true, can it? You peeps and folks that live online straighten me out on this one. What percentage chance is there that this any of this is real?

there are lots of stories about accidental interactions being the set up for a long con. there are people who just sit around all day texting and e-mailing and gaining trust before eventually asking for something.

ask her for a pic with a penny. that is the only way to know for sure.
Mante Teo doc

The catfisher, the picture he was using, tracked down that girl, convinced her to send a picture with todays newspaper or something (some sick kid story or some nonsense) - she does it and catfisher sends that picture to Teo as proof they are legit

Down right crazy

Look, I do not suffer from low self esteem or anything. But I am a scrawny middle-aged guy who was never any better than average-looking on my best day. If a hot, funny chick accidentally contacts me and we just so happen to hit it off, there is a 100% chance that she is either a scam artist or a prostitute. There is no other possibility. I won the lottery by convincing one woman to put up with my **** -- the odds of stumbling across a second such woman are vanishingly remote.

As mrs and I have been married for 28 yrs, the only online people I have met have been from here, the huddle, and FFtoday. All legit... and some entirely different from their online personas.

It may not even be a scam or a con. If you've ever watched the TV show Catfish, you'll see that there are a number of people who do this sort of thing either as a hobby or just out of loneliness, or they're just not quite right in the head.

there are lots of stories about accidental interactions being the set up for a long con. there are people who just sit around all day texting and e-mailing and gaining trust before eventually asking for something.
I get 2-3 texts a week saying "Is this [some name], this is [her alleged name]?" I delete and report as junk.

I get 2-3 texts a week saying "Is this [some name], this is [her alleged name]?" I delete and report as junk.
"hi, (insert not my name). it's (insert random name). how have you been?"

straight to spam

I'd say the percentage of people I "meet" online that are are real starts out pretty high (though I'm sure it's dropping every year).
But then every additional circumstance would make that % drop significantly:
- met by accident
- continued to interact at all (beyond maybe apologizing) after accidental meeting
- being female
- finding me funny
- finding me interesting
- being beautiful
- being rich
- even sending all those pictures trying hard to prove "she" is a real person

Yeah, I'd put this one at a Bluto Blutarsky 0.0%

(sorry :frown:)

I've tried to have a beer with @General Malaise several times but he always has an "excuse". I suspect he's fake.

Mon frère, I have tried a handful of times to meet up with you in Michigan but 'tis YOU that's always busy. Instead, I've had to slum it with the likes of @SofaKings and @Shooter McGavin. I've gotten out of subsequent Michigan trips and am already creating excuses why I won't be able to go in 2024.....

I've tried to have a beer with @General Malaise several times but he always has an "excuse". I suspect he's fake.

Mon frère, I have tried a handful of times to meet up with you in Michigan but 'tis YOU that's always busy. Instead, I've had to slum it with the likes of @SofaKings and @Shooter McGavin. I've gotten out of subsequent Michigan trips and am already creating excuses why I won't be able to go in 2024.....
Yep. Definitely fake.

Yep. Definitely fake.
Yep. The fake French accent gave it away.

Oh, and @SofaKings is ANYTHING but slumming it. A true man's man. A legend.

Yep. Definitely fake.
Yep. The fake French accent gave it away.

See, now a FAKE Frenchman would have gone with the accent aigu but I used the proper accent grave so you KNOW I'm legit.

He does love him some steam ships too. I think he's a distant cousin of Gordon Lightfoot or something.

He does love him some steam ships too. I think he's a distant cousin of Gordon Lightfoot or something.

@SofaKings is good people

I have met @General Malaise . What you see is what you get, doesn't get anymore real than that. He is one of the most real people on this Earth

Also @Hot Sauce Guy , he really is a hot sauce guy!

We've met in:

Boston
Vegas (twice)
Detroit
Portland (thrice?)

We (I) even got turned away at the Canadian border trying to get to Montreal. Was just a touch humiliating when the US border guards made fun of me for being with an internet friend.

76 posts since 2004 all in the political forum.

My guess is that blinky is not real and is an alias.
Well duh. That should have been obvious. But yes, I am a real person. It's tough having aliases that have been around for years.

As far as determining if mystery person is who she says she is, during our conversations, I have asked her to send pics at intermittent times. For example, she would say she was at store XYZ shopping for dresses. I would ask for a pic to see what sense of style she had, and she would send a pic of her with the dresses. I said I liked dress #4 then a few minutes later she sent a pic of her in dress #4 trying it on in the dressing room.

She said she was out after work with people from work grabbing dinner . . . I'd ask what she was eating, she'd immediately send a pic of her plate or her having a drink after with her friends at the bar. On the weekend, I asked what she was up to, and she said she was on a boat fishing. Then she immediately sent a pic of her on the boat with a fishing rod.

Tying everything together, the people in the pics involving friends from work are all the same people (both at and away from work). Pictures of her house / pets / yard all are from the same place. Whenever the discussion involved a place or activity, there were supporting pics that aligned with the discussion. I have intentionally shifted topics in a shotgun manner, and she responded in kind. For example, I asked out of nowhere pretty randomly if she have any pets. She answered she had two dogs, they were sitting right next to her at home, and she sent me a picture.

Yup, I get it, this could be a professional con job. They could have very effectively mapped out some pics to go with the storyline to have at the ready. I could be typical John Q. Public and they have planned for my every move. For now, it just seems like she is lonely and wants someone to talk to. But what do I know . . . that could be the bait on the hook.

All I am trying to figure out is if this in an actual person. Obviously, I am not going to have a relationship with someone that lives across the country. I wasn't looking for some Cinderella story and to be drawn into some cross-country online thing. It's pretty simple, either this person is who they claim to be (doubtful) or the whole thing is a scam / hoax (much more likely than not). At this point, I am actually more interested in seeing what the scam is than anything else (and when that gets revealed). I certainly will not be supplying any money or personal information, so again, not sure what the point of this is (maybe that will be revealed soon).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread