What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How often do you hear people use the N word? (1 Viewer)

N word poll

• Once a day

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Once a week

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Once a month

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • Never

Votes: 126 75.4%

• Total voters
I was in Carolina Beach, NFL Sunday at the Lazy Pirates bar (think I posted this before).  Most the 1pm games were at half, went outside on the deck with my wife, the weather was nice.  I was talking with her and we were approached by a person in Skins gear.

He was talking about RG3 and said something like that N can't play anymore.  I can't say I was shocked but taken aback as I don't know this guy.  It was weird.  Just turned to my wife and put my back to him.  
Whoa. That's not a trial balloon, that's more of a care-free bomb launch.

I was in college early 90's.  Junior year I think and our frat house was on a main road but the next street behind us was pretty rough.  Our Chapin(who was just convicted as a pedophile, cant make this stuff up) suggested we get in midnight basketball at the MLK center on Friday night to get to know the community.  It was a short walk to the center.  It was mostly people from our frat but we had one player that transfered to Gannon to play hoops, he wasn't playing yet and I always hung out with him.  

Our team was all white and the only white people in the place.  150 to 200 people were there to watch the game.  First game we played, everything went fine.  Next week they were ready for us.  I think there was 4 games a night.  We played in the 2nd game.  After the first game ended the chant started.  Over a 100 people "bring on the crackers, bring on the crackers".   All through warm ups a "crackers" chant.  

Pretty intimidating.  We are down 20 at half.  And my buddy, the transfer goes off.  He hits 8 straight 3 pointers, and whole crowd starts chanting "go white boy, go white boy go".  I can't remember if he hit a buzzer beater or just a dagger with time left to seal the win but crowd was going nuts for him.  Interesting time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not derogatory but on job sites, I hear black guys say it all the time. Walking around, I hear all kids, black white or Hispanic saying it fairly liberally. As far as white friends or other white people I know, almost never. One friend on FB thought it was ok to say it, ending with -a, or -ah. He was called on it a bunch of times and I haven't seen him use it since. That's the only one I can think of.
This when I’m in the city. 

Before that hat it’s been a couple of years. A guy I worked with was pretty racist and verbal about it. Dad was a city cop back in the day. This guy also did daily bumps of coke, drank every single day and smoked two packs a day. He won’t be around too much longer. 

This when I’m in the city. 

Before that hat it’s been a couple of years. A guy I worked with was pretty racist and verbal about it. Dad was a city cop back in the day. This guy also did daily bumps of coke, drank every single day and smoked two packs a day. He won’t be around too much longer. 
We went out to eat at a local BBQ place over the weekend. Two Hispanic couples came in and sat near us. One of the guys must have said it like 20+ during the meal. Kinda shocking to hear it over and over in a restaurant. They weren't kids either, probably mid-20's.

now get off my lawn!

Many years ago a group of us were camping.  At least 6-7 couples, all of us grew up together.  This campground had a tent camping area that was down in this ravine and away from all the trailer campers.  This entire camp area was us and this one other campsite with 2 guys and a girl.  The one guy was a nice enough guy (and obviously the 3rd wheel)  and ended up hanging out with us most of the night drinking and bull####ting with us.  At one point in the night the conversation went like this:

Our friendly camper with a heavy southern twang: "Hey... Who here is racist?"

We all kind of looked around uncomfortably.. Now I'm sitting next to one of my best friends who is bi-racial.  A lot of people don't realize he is bi-racial and obviously this guy did not.  I said "Uh... no one.."  He proceeds to tell a racist joke of some type.  I don't remember exactly what it was but I do remember it did not have the N word in it.  When he dropped the punch line he looked around with a giant smile on his face waiting for the laughter.  No one said a thing.  Watching his facial expression as he realized that his joke went over like a lead balloon was one of the most uncomfortable things I saw someone go through.  He went from all smiles expecting the laughter to looking around like "oops... Yeah.. That didn't go over like I expected."  After a few moments of the uncomfortable :crickets: he looked down and said... "Daymn... I'm sorry yall."   :lmao:

It wasn't long after that that he called it a night and went back to his site.

So do I text back or call saying I am not playing poker  tonight because I don't like the use of the N word?
It is easier to understand someone's feelings in a phone call. I think sometimes someone's tone can be misunderstood in a text.  Of course with a text, the person can read what you wrote to the group, and the story will be exact when passed on, unless that person receiving the text gives it an edit.

It is easier to understand someone's feelings in a phone call. I think sometimes someone's tone can be misunderstood in a text.  Of course with a text, the person can read what you wrote to the group, and the story will be exact when passed on, unless that person receiving the text gives it an edit.
I can do neither and just not go.  But leaning towards call.

I got voice mail and didn't leave a message.  I'm in johnston county, nc.  I know you know the area.  Same plan?

You'll either get an apology and excuses, or a brush off.  Either way, it will be pointed out to them that their racial slurs are offensive and not cool. 
It will be Hey, buddy, I didn't know you felt that way, I won't use it again around you but other people might.  

The other would be.  I didn't know you were a N lover, don't need you here anyway.

I probably have the biggest bank in the game so going with 1.  But my SIL plays there too.  Another added layer of bs.

Once a year when I visit relatives in rural NY.
Thank you lucky stars, I lived outside of Pittsburgh, Erie, Cary, Garner, Clayton.  And I see the crap a lot.  

It got bad when I was younger in PA, my friends knew using the word pissed me off, so they would f with me and use it.  I know not great friends...as they aren't anymore.

I read the comments and watch the videos on world star, does that count?

My numbers are through the roof of they are, along with every other racial slur, gay slur etc. If there is a slur, it is being used over there.

You'll either get an apology and excuses, or a brush off.  Either way, it will be pointed out to them that their racial slurs are offensive and not cool. 
25 minute conversation.  Went like one.  Too much to unpack now.  Give me 5.

I said, I was uncomfortable with it but you be you.  I am not trying to change you, but for me.   It's not cool.  

I think it was the best approach.  Long conversation about it.   How he was wrong.  I think saying it was a me thing was the right approach for this situation.  I had a lot of cred, going into this as a good guy to be fair.

I was in college early 90's.  Junior year I think and our frat house was on a main road but the next street behind us was pretty rough.  Our Chapin(who was just convicted as a pedophile, cant make this stuff up) suggested we get in midnight basketball at the MLK center on Friday night to get to know the community.  It was a short walk to the center.  It was mostly people from our frat but we had one player that transfered to Gannon to play hoops, he wasn't playing yet and I always hung out with him.  

Our team was all white and the only white people in the place.  150 to 200 people were there to watch the game.  First game we played, everything went fine.  Next week they were ready for us.  I think there was 4 games a night.  We played in the 2nd game.  After the first game ended the chant started.  Over a 100 people "bring on the crackers, bring on the crackers".   All through warm ups a "crackers" chant.  

Pretty intimidating.  We are down 20 at half.  And my buddy, the transfer goes off.  He hits 8 straight 3 pointers, and whole crowd starts chanting "go white boy, go white boy go".  I can't remember if he hit a buzzer beater or just a dagger with time left to seal the win but crowd was going nuts for him.  Interesting time.
Did he speak to the crowd after the game and say, "If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"?

So do I text back or call saying I am not playing poker  tonight because I don't like the use of the N word?
Send a group text.  “I’ll be there at 7 but if anyone uses the N word tonight it’s going to turn into an episode of the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  I’m flipping the table over, someone’s going to prison, and one of us is going to end up writing a book about it.”

Send a group text.  “I’ll be there at 7 but if anyone uses the N word tonight it’s going to turn into an episode of the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  I’m flipping the table over, someone’s going to prison, and one of is is going to end up writing a book about it.”
This is so me....but not playing tonight, but it felt good to be honest.  It was great and sucks all in one.

Users who are viewing this thread