What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (2 Viewers)

This.  What people don't get is that when there is a working vaccine developed it requires phased scaled up testing in order to make sure it is safe. 

What's worse than Coronavirus?  Giving everyone a vaccine that has even worse effects.  The nothing to lose comments coming from a certain very public idiot are idiotic. 
What about the anti-malaria drugs?  They are already FDA approved and I hear rumblings that they are promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the anti-malaria drugs?  They are already FDA approved and I hear rumblings that they are promising.
That's baseless conjecture by a president who's thinking of telling everyone to go back to work in a week.  There's no science to back it up.

Before this thread gets too far away from the impacts to the NFL, there's a lot of discussion about it here. No need to rehash it in the Shark Pool.

So, you don't think scientist and someone in the medical community didn't tell him it was promising?   You think Trump made that up on this own?
I think he hears what he wants to hear. If someone said "it's possible nyquil could finish this thing off but that's a moon shot" he would have mentioned that instead.

It's also world travel by a ton of people at a time where that still seems unwise. The NFL is US only and has far less travel by fans, while teams already use private/charter flights. NFL teams could play empty stadiums, as well, and lean on that hefty TV revenue.
This should be the goal. After months in a sport-less desert, the ratings would be off the charts.

It's bull#### at this point. 

Fauci is actually the leading expert on this stuff and he isn't saying that kind of stuff from what I have heard.  It's a desperate attempt to bouy the market. 

Mack Brown say's fear of no football season is real

This is college and they'll have to be conservative then NFL and can't adjust their schedule so easily but just to hear a coach discuss fear of not football in 2020 is just a reminder it's not something we should take for granted.

Nothing really earth shattering in that article btw, this was he mainly said:

“Coaches really have no clue,” Brown said of the 2020 season. “There is a fear of ‘would we have a season?’ ‘Would we have a partial season?’ ‘What does a partial season mean?’ There is a great concern because of the remedy that comes in with football.”

It's bull#### at this point. 

Fauci is actually the leading expert on this stuff and he isn't saying that kind of stuff from what I have heard.  It's a desperate attempt to bouy the market. 
Well if you haven't heard it, then I guess Trump is making it up. Come on man.

I had heard about the malaria drug "showing promise" in preliminary tests a week before Trump said anything about it. That doesn't make it science. Sometimes a thing has to prove worthwhile before it's even thouroghly tested.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said club facilities will be closed from March 26 to at least April 8.

Not only is this a safety precaution for the NFL's employees, but it's also one way the league can keep an even playing field going into the 2020 NFL Draft. Some teams were already staying at home during the coronavirus pandemic, which created some competitive advantages for teams still meeting daily. The NFL Draft remains scheduled for April 23-25, but Pro Days and Top-30 visits have been slashed. Expect fewer non-Combine invited players to be drafted next month.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 24, 2020, 9:13 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Diana Russini report NFL general managers are in favor of the 2020 NFL Draft being postponed, but Commissioner Roger Goodell plans on keeping the April 23 start date.

The NFL's general manager subcommittee unanimously voted to postpone the draft in their recommendation to Goodell, but the consensus around the league is that the NFL will continue with their original schedule. GMs are concerned that fewer medical checks, workouts, and interviews will negatively impact the success of the draft and that the coronavirus outbreak could be near its peak when the draft starts. There isn't a great option either way, so it's likely the draft happens with little to no live audience in one month from today.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 24, 2020, 9:25 PM ET

Scouting departments will be adversely affected because they won't be able to get out to verify information.
Mickey Loomis wants to postpone the draft

Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis is publicly doing so.

“I’d be personally in favor of delaying the draft, so that we could get some of the work done that our scouts and personnel people ordinarily do,” 

....“A large part of the information process hasn’t happened yet,” Loomis added. “And a lot of that gets done in the months of March and early part of April. And obviously we haven’t been able to do that. It doesn’t make it impossible, and yet it makes it much more of a gamble, much riskier than it would be ordinarily.

But the risks will be the same for everyone, and if the draft proceeds as scheduled it ultimately will show which teams are good at making the most out of the least information. Or which teams are just lucky.

It probably will be the latter. The draft already is a crapshoot. Proceeding without complete information will make it even more crap than shoot. But given the league’s insistence on proceeding with free agency as scheduled, don’t bet that the league will do anything other than tell the various teams to deal with it.
If they go with the draft on incomplete information we may see an outcome with a lot of flops at the top of the draft and more 'surprise' picks later and as undrafted free agents.

Basically teams will value picks at the top of the draft where their is less 'gambling' going on.  

If they do not delay the draft it would not surprise me if teams paid a premium to move-up for blue-chip prospects.

Mickey Loomis wants to postpone the draft

If they go with the draft on incomplete information we may see an outcome with a lot of flops at the top of the draft and more 'surprise' picks later and as undrafted free agents.

Basically teams will value picks at the top of the draft where their is less 'gambling' going on.  

If they do not delay the draft it would not surprise me if teams paid a premium to move-up for blue-chip prospects.
Might help them draft better. Feels like some teams get caught on focusing on things other than the game tape. 

Might help them draft better. Feels like some teams get caught on focusing on things other than the game tape. 
Teams are being forced to focus more on college tape but the draft isn't only watching tape, their are face-to-face meetings, medical checks and rechecks, working players out at team facilities, Pro Day cancellations, interviews, etc.

Ravens G.M.: New way of life forcing him to be “more hands-on” with draft prep

While NFL General Managers might not be thrilled that the 2020 NFL Draft is apparently proceeding without delay, they also know that as with everything in life, you have to be able to adjust.

For Ravens G.M. Eric DeCosta, that means going back to his scouting roots a bit.

Via Jonas Shaffer of the Baltimore Sun, DeCosta said he would have to be “more hands-on” with this draft because of the limitations brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

“This is a challenging time,” DeCosta said. “We can’t do the things that we’re accustomed to doing, we can’t be meeting with these players, we can’t be working out players, we can’t be visiting with players, so what are the things that we can do?

“We’ll take advantage of those things as best as we can.”

With the cancellation of pro days, and limits on travel and team facilities, this year’s selection meeting isn’t like any other in memory. So with fewer interviews and medical re-checks of players he has more questions about, DeCosta said he’d spend more time on the phone and watching film.

“So what are we going to do? We’ll have a plan,” DeCosta said. “Rest assured, I’ll be watching every single player in this draft and go back to my days as the college scouting director. And we’ll work together, and we’ve got a great staff of people. And even if we can’t be together [at the team facility], we can get on the phone, we can work remote, we can video-conference each other, and we’ll make the best decisions that we can for this club.”

It could be particularly complicated for a team that has shown a willingness to go off the beaten path for prospects, such as the 2016 fifth-rounder from Division II Grand Valley State, who turned out well enough that they used their franchise tag on Matt Judon this offseason.
It will give an undue advantage to teams who have had no turnover in the FO/scouting departments and will make for 'surprise' picks.  

I think that blue-chip prospect values will increase in a time of uncertainty so I think we will see teams paying a premium to move-up.

Of course GM's want to draft to postponed. Their jobs are on the line and this does make picking harder.

But they are are just employees. Roger and the owners are fully aware they are the only game in town and have no desire to move this back. Every team is playing with same set of rules now.

So thankfully the NFL seems to have no plans to pause this nor should they. I'm pretty sure right now they have no regrets about letting FA continue either. It's the only game in town.

Of course GM's want to draft to postponed. Their jobs are on the line and this does make picking harder.

But they are are just employees. Roger and the owners are fully aware they are the only game in town and have no desire to move this back. Every team is playing with same set of rules now.

So thankfully the NFL seems to have no plans to pause this nor should they. I'm pretty sure right now they have no regrets about letting FA continue either. It's the only game in town.
As far as trades and free agent signings go, things could get held up by players not passing physicals. Not sure how "official" these deals are and what they could do about it if 3 months after the fact a guy has problems after finally getting a physical (this would likely apply more to trades).

As far as trades and free agent signings go, things could get held up by players not passing physicals. Not sure how "official" these deals are and what they could do about it if 3 months after the fact a guy has problems after finally getting a physical (this would likely apply more to trades).
Sure but a lot of them already passed physicals earlier in last week but I think that is going to get more difficult to do later. Can't recall if NFL adopted it as policy but the other day some head doctor spoke up and said the NFL needed to stop letting players get physical with local doctors because they were taking up time of local doctors which could be better used elsewhere right now.

I read last week teams were putting language in contracts about need to pass physicals later. I don't anticipate it being much of a problem.I think it's a problem for someone like Cam to get signed right now, but not expecting a big issue with any of the FA signings or trades so far.

I read last week teams were putting language in contracts about need to pass physicals later. I don't anticipate it being much of a problem.I think it's a problem for someone like Cam to get signed right now, but not expecting a big issue with any of the FA signings or trades so far.
It doesn't happen often but a physical can show a previously unknown problem with a player.  There's also the problem of buyers remorse - a team picking up a guy who later on doesn't factor into their plans.  It's much easier to tell a doctor to exaggerate some sort of nick or bruise to tank a physical that wouldn't have otherwise mattered.

Yes. The ratings for this will be astronomical. No way in God’s green corona earth they pass that up because some GMs haven’t been able to ask players what kind of car they would be if they could be a car. 

It doesn't happen often but a physical can show a previously unknown problem with a player.  There's also the problem of buyers remorse - a team picking up a guy who later on doesn't factor into their plans.  It's much easier to tell a doctor to exaggerate some sort of nick or bruise to tank a physical that wouldn't have otherwise mattered.
Sure but again a lot of these FA signings have been inked already and not all players agents might have agreed to the proposed language about needing to pass a physical later.

I'll concern myself with this when it's something to concern myself with but I'm failing to see it as anything for "me" to worry about right now. I don't anticipate any deals and no significant deals getting overturned. And I stress me because it's not my money, just my fantasy interest.

Also not sure if people saw this yesterday and it's not the NFL but still was good to see that Mark Cuban thinks NBA could begin again in  mid-May. Likely no fans, but playing. I take encouragement where I can find it these days and while it's just his opinion and a different sport I was encouraged.

Also not sure if people saw this yesterday and it's not the NFL but still was good to see that Mark Cuban thinks NBA could begin again in  mid-May. Likely no fans, but playing. I take encouragement where I can find it these days and while it's just his opinion and a different sport I was encouraged.
Seems like a lot hinges on whether people are considered immune after recovering and if testing capacity can be increased to the point of being able to allow "cleared" people to get back out there. 

So far I've heard that our best guess is that people should be immune for the next weather season or so, but beyond that the need for vaccines and to stay current with mutations will be an ongoing battle for awhile. Probably just the new normal that this bug will be a problem forever. 

I have heard that people who develop just the milder symptoms in the upper respiratory may still be susceptible afterwards, where people who recover from the more serious lower respiratory stuff, should be clear. 

But....??????

I wouldn't be shocked if David Johnson doesn't pass his physical after Bill O'Brien was crucified for making that deal

Also that would be nice. My one fantasy basketball team had just made the playoffs when they cancelled.

Seems like a lot hinges on whether people are considered immune after recovering and if testing capacity can be increased to the point of being able to allow "cleared" people to get back out there. 

So far I've heard that our best guess is that people should be immune for the next weather season or so, but beyond that the need for vaccines and to stay current with mutations will be an ongoing battle for awhile. Probably just the new normal that this bug will be a problem forever. 

I have heard that people who develop just the milder symptoms in the upper respiratory may still be susceptible afterwards, where people who recover from the more serious lower respiratory stuff, should be clear. 

But....??????
I figured what NBA would do, if they actually are playing in mid-May in empty Arena's, was test players possibly before every single game.

Now I have no idea if someone can pass along the infection while not testing positive. I'm out of my element here. But only way I could see them allowing player on player contact was if they knew prior to each game no one was currently testing positive.

Also that would be nice. My one fantasy basketball team had just made the playoffs when they cancelled.
And since I'm pretty much out on baseball and that time period from end of NBA finals to open of camp is usually my worst sports time of the year, and I don't mean to be insensitive to what is going on the world or anything,but for pure sports watching might be my most enjoyable June/July ever.

Basically I'd be replacing June/July as I normally know it with March/April this year.

I figured what NBA would do, if they actually are playing in mid-May in empty Arena's, was test players possibly before every single game.

Now I have no idea if someone can pass along the infection while not testing positive. I'm out of my element here. But only way I could see them allowing player on player contact was if they knew prior to each game no one was currently testing positive.
Clearly no one really knows much of anything. One problem will be that there are some people that were asymptomatic and under quarantine until they tested negative, but it's been weeks already and they still test positive each time. If players have to be tested over and over again, that will only infuriate regular people who can't get tested at all.

We don't know what we don't know, but we do know that playing in NY or NJ or Boston any time soon would be a major issue. By May, who knows if there will be other hot spots. I suspect they will have to look at each location to determine what the chances are of them playing there.

Clearly no one really knows much of anything. One problem will be that there are some people that were asymptomatic and under quarantine until they tested negative, but it's been weeks already and they still test positive each time. If players have to be tested over and over again, that will only infuriate regular people who can't get tested at all.

We don't know what we don't know, but we do know that playing in NY or NJ or Boston any time soon would be a major issue. By May, who knows if there will be other hot spots. I suspect they will have to look at each location to determine what the chances are of them playing there.
If there are no crowds they could play every game at a gym in Montana - what difference would it make?

If there are no crowds they could play every game at a gym in Montana - what difference would it make?
Not sure how you play 15 games a night on one court in Montana. But I have been suggesting something similar to get football off the ground. Put all the players in a remote location and play without fans.

Not sure how you play 15 games a night on one court in Montana. But I have been suggesting something similar to get football off the ground. Put all the players in a remote location and play without fans.
I didn't literally mean that every game would be in the same gym - just that there's no need to have games in NYC or Boston if playing in an empty arena.

Yes, based on a study in Italy, the spread of the disease, and using the mathematical deductions to show that millions are likely to have it in the US today. Many without symptoms at all. 

This is fantastic news if its determined to be 90% less deadly than the flu. 

Science is finally catching up and providing accurate numbers, demonstrating that, perhaps, the early classifications of this virus were correct. It'll be interesting as more data comes out. Can't wait to get back to normal! 
I also read something about a lot of comorbidity, where the person with covid19 is counted as a death due to the virus but actually a lot of other issues lead to the individual's demise. 

Yes, based on a study in Italy, the spread of the disease, and using the mathematical deductions to show that millions are likely to have it in the US today. Many without symptoms at all. 

Science is finally catching up and providing accurate numbers, demonstrating that, perhaps, the early classifications of this virus were correct. It'll be interesting as more data comes out. Can't wait to get back to normal! 
Have any insights on this study doc? Little outdated, but. 

So, is there a way to test someone to see i they have had it already? I assume someone would develop unique antibodies once contracted and recovered?

Why can't we just turn the 2 trillion dollar bail out into massive production and distribution of test kits to ALL!!!  I feel like that is the only solution, without that info we are all flying blind.

A buddy of mine works in the ER locally and he said that in about two weeks they will be getting the quick turn 45 minute test kits, thank god.  Why not mass produce 400 million of those bad boys, cost what it costs, send to every american....etc.... logistically a nightmare but if it can save the economy its well worth it.

What's great is that as more data comes out, and let's say this 0.04% is the accurate number, and we realize how silly we all are reacting this way, then we can get back to normal with our lives, jobs, sports, etc and we will have learned a valuable lesson (or several) in all of this.

Hopefully this info and these studies won't be blacked out by the media

So to get back on topic, the impact of rona on the NFL is probably minimal (or at least it should be).
Dude, this study will be unheard. Go on the covid19 reddit sub once. Full freak out mode full of misleading stuff. Nothing like these studies anywhere to be found.

In other words, I think you're optimistically counting on reason to prevail. 

Yes. The ratings for this will be astronomical. No way in God’s green corona earth they pass that up because some GMs haven’t been able to ask players what kind of car they would be if they could be a car
Made me smile in a thread that makes me sick.

Love to count the death rate by assuming far more unreported cases but not assume far more unreported/untested deaths. Good shtick. 

What's great is that as more data comes out, and let's say this 0.04% is the accurate number, and we realize how silly we all are reacting this way, then we can get back to normal with our lives, jobs, sports, etc and we will have learned a valuable lesson (or several) in all of this.

Hopefully this info and these studies won't be blacked out by the media

So to get back on topic, the impact of rona on the NFL is probably minimal (or at least it should be).
how do you reconcile this nonchalance with what is happening in NYC and a citywide healthcare system on the verge of collapse after about only 10 days of being a hot spot? 

Users who are viewing this thread