What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How would you answer this question? (1 Viewer)

How would you answer the question "Can two boys get married?" to a kid

• Yes

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • It depends on where you live

Votes: 26 27.1%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Last night, we're watching a little TV together with my 9 yo son before bed. It's Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network and the episode showed the contestants cooking for a beloved family member. One of the guys on the show had his husband brought on the show as the person he was going to cook for.

My son saw this and goes "So two boys can get married?"

We live in Missouri now where gay marriage is not legal.

Go.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just say yes and move on. I'm sure by the time it matters to him, it will be legal everywhere. Kids aren't looking for drawn out answers.

So those saying it depends where you live, are you saying this to bridge into a discussion as to why it's allowed in some parts and not in others?

"Yes."

And if there's a follow up..."It didn't used to be that way, but people finally started coming around to treating others equally and how they would like to be treated themselves, just like what we've taught you since you were a baby."

The question is 'can' not 'should'. So I would say it depends on the state. 9 is old enough to have a small discussion about it.

The kid is 9, not 4. What is wrong with just telling the truth?
my kids are 7 and 3, so we haven't really crossed this bridge yet... but doesn't telling the truth turn the conversation into being about sex? Is 9 the right age for that?
It should be about love...not sex.
my kids are 7 and 3, so we haven't really crossed this bridge yet... but doesn't telling the truth turn the conversation into being about sex? Is 9 the right age for that?
Why does sex have to come into the equation?
:goodposting:

good point, guys.

I don't think a discussion about marriage automatically means you have to have a discussion about butt sex if that is what you are afraid of.

ETA I see the replies after me addressed this

How is this a poll? Is two dudes getting married still a big deal? I talked to my daughters about it when they asked at age 4.

As long as you keep prison out of the response, either "yes" or "it depends" are both good depending on how drawn out you expect the follow-up conversation to be.

Some years back I was vacationing with my wife and daughter in Durango Colorado. As we pulled into town there was a lesbian and transgendered pride parade going down the street and we had to wait for it to pass. Apparently we came on the weekend that the Four Corners Lesbian and Transgendered Alliance, or some such, was holding their annual gathering, this time in Durango. My daughter, upon seeing the colorful displays asked about it. She thought girls married boys, but only when they were much older, and, she vowed, she would never marry a boy because they were stupid.

I asked her to look at the field off to the side. I asked her what she saw. She replied she saw green grass. "Nothing more?" I asked. She replied in the negative. I then asked if she looked closer did she see any wild flowers, clover, weeds, cacti, or birds. She agreed that she did. I then explained that people can be like that. At first you may think they are all alike, or should be alike, but when you look closer, though many are alike, some are different, and that difference is as natural as a wild flower or some clover in a field of grass.

She then wanted to know if Momma would ever walk down a street in a parade with a peacock head dress on and her boobs showing. I said, "what about it Baby, would you?" I got a dirty look and my wife changed the subject to root beer floats.

"No, son, two boys can't get married. Two men can. You need some hair on your balls first. Now run along."

Seems like "It depends on where you live" is the correct answer :shrug:

If he asked why, then explain that each State is allowed to create it's own laws.. Some have made it legal, others have not..

Good teaching opportunity in regards to Federal vs. State laws. :)

Users who are viewing this thread