What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I am watching every Bond movie: please kill me (2 Viewers)

If you make it through "The Living Daylights" you are a better man than me.
I like that one but feel that way about the last 2 Moore and Brosnan films.
He has to make it through the last hour of The Man with the Golden Gun first. That's about as bad as 007 gets.

The people making the Bond films literally lost the plot after The Lazenby Affair. The three movies that followed (DAF, LALD & TMWTGG) made very little sense. The plots were just excuses to string together chase scenes and side characters popped in and out with no rhyme or reason. I guess they figured the audience would be happy as long as they were give enough action. The first two of the movies were financially successful so maybe the filmmakers were right. The Man with Golden Gun continued with this formula but for some reason (budget?, shooting schedule?), the action was really toned down. The car jump, complete with slide whistle, is the only memorable bit from the movie. Other than that, it's probably the the most static and dull of the 007 movies. The storyline is extremely flimsy (especially in the second half) and there aren't any good supporting characters except for Scaramanga.
I will throw out the last hour of Moonraker as competition.
Fair point but at least that one has gratuitous explosions and killing. The Man with Three Nipples is just boring.

PLANE CAR :lmao: :lmao:

I am dying here.
In the next one, his car does something else you don't see every day
The best thing about the flying car is that it's an AMC Matador. Scaramanga gets $1M per job, has a solid gold gun that shoots gold bullets, has three nipples and want to control the world. But he drives a Rambler because he's a sensible sociopath.

They're going back to that stupid funhouse aren't they?
You'll never guess.

My kids became big 007 fans after we took them to a big Bond exhibit at the Science Museum in London. They've seen all of them except for Dr. No because my daughter hates spiders. They were probably 11 and 7 when we watched The Man with Golden Gun. Even they saw the climax coming about 15 minutes before the movie dragged to its conclusion.

They're going back to that stupid funhouse aren't they?
You'll never guess.

My kids became big 007 fans after we took them to a big Bond exhibit at the Science Museum in London. They've seen all of them except for Dr. No because my daughter hates spiders. They were probably 11 and 7 when we watched The Man with Golden Gun. Even they saw the climax coming about 15 minutes before the movie dragged to its conclusion.
:thumbup: this may be the worst hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bond is working on the solar beam and wife says "maybe he'll get blown up and we won't have to watch 20 more of these."

BAD NEWS HONEY

Bond is working on the solar beam and wife says "maybe he'll get blown up and we won't have to watch 20 more of these."

BAD NEWS HONEY
She and her legal team are currently reviewing your marriage vows to see if the words "A View to a Kill" are explicitly mentioned

Which one had the guy with diamonds in his face? That thing was absolute dreck...could there possibly be one worse than that one?

If so...I need to queue it up just because I'm a glutton for punishment and refuse to believe there's any in this series worse than that pile of elephant excrement.
Die Another Day
That's it...wow. I put it out of my memory...so very awful. I'm physically angry for having seen that movie.
Was it really that bad? I thought it was better then The World is Not Enough....

Brosnan best to worst: Goldeneye, Die Another Day, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough

I may have to jump into a marathon as well. I remember liking Octo##### and a View to a Kill, but I only 10 or so. Guess the nostalgia gets me.
The briefcase full of diamonds blew up in his face...the man still had diamonds lodged in his face nine months later.

It still angers me.

Is this also the one where Bond parachuted off a cliff into wind surfing a giant wave? Or that freaking laser that might set off the landmines between North and South Korea?

God...I don't know anymore...I really had a deep hatred for this series during Brosnan's run.

I'm back onboard now but during his run it was like a parody. It was worse than Austin Powers because it tried to come off as serious and not just schtick like Austin Powers.

I may have to go back and try to watch that run again...hopefully time has healed those wounds.

I still want to run up and slap someone on the street...anyone...HARD...and yell, "THAT was for casting Remington F'ING Steele!!!"

TheAristocrat said:
Capella said:

BAD NEWS HONEY
I hope creating this thread doesn't lead to updates in the "Marriage...When is it over?" thread.
Nah. We just took a 3-week road trip where we went to a bunch of college football games and the hockey hall of fame. She's been a bucs season ticket holder for four years with me. This won't break her.

But we haven't watched Moonraker yet either.

This one was horrible and dumb but I laughed out loud numerous times (that ####ing carplane killed me) and Lee was pretty awesome. Also, I like Moore so far. Not more than Connery but he's really good and I can buy what he's selling. Maybe not the fight scenes so much but he makes up for it with being suave.

I actually am moving this up to 6 for pure shtick and entertainment value. I'll never watch the 3 beneath it again but I can promise I will watch that flying car again. :thumbup:

(Catchy theme song too. Feels like I should be ranking those.)

BOND POWER RANKINGS

1. From Russia

2. Goldfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinger (he's just too much!)

3. Dr. No

4. You Only Live Twice

5. Thunderball

6. The Man With The Golden Gun

7. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

8. Diamonds Are Forever

9. Live and Let Die

The Spy Who Loved Me is next. I HAVE BEEN PROMISED GOOD THINGS HERE.

Was going to watch tomorrow night but going out instead (women :rolleyes: )

Ok Theme Rankings (with commentary!!)

1. You Only Live Twice - best by far. you only live twice or so it seeeeeeeems. One life for yourself and one for your dreeeeeeeeams. Love it.

2. Live and Let Die - a Beatle in his prime? Oh yea. By far the best part of this horrid movie.

3. Diamonds are Forever - that cat in the first cut kills me. Very good song but I keep waiting for Kanye to start rapping.

4. Thunderball - this is the first great theme in the series. Dramatic, cool visuals, feels big. Lets you know you're in for a good movie.

5. Goldfinger - corny but catchy. Maybe my favorite one to sing along to, but for all the wrong reasons. Jams the word 'mister' in a lot.

6. The Man With the Golden Gun - on second listen, pretty blah. Nothing interesting here really.

7. From Russia - nice, jazzy, feels like you would hear this as someone is pouring you a brandy in a room with lots of mahogany. Ends with the Bond theme.

8. On Her Majesty's - BORING

9. Dr. No - just the Bond theme. Then Conga music, then 3 Blind Mice. Weird. They obviously didn't know what they had yet.

Youtube of slide whistle? I'm drawing a blank and I feel like I've seen all these.

Eta found it . Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
tdoss said:
B Maverick said:
tdoss said:
Mr. Ected said:
tdoss said:
Which one had the guy with diamonds in his face? That thing was absolute dreck...could there possibly be one worse than that one?

If so...I need to queue it up just because I'm a glutton for punishment and refuse to believe there's any in this series worse than that pile of elephant excrement.
Die Another Day
That's it...wow. I put it out of my memory...so very awful. I'm physically angry for having seen that movie.
Was it really that bad? I thought it was better then The World is Not Enough....

Brosnan best to worst: Goldeneye, Die Another Day, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough

I may have to jump into a marathon as well. I remember liking Octo##### and a View to a Kill, but I only 10 or so. Guess the nostalgia gets me.
The briefcase full of diamonds blew up in his face...the man still had diamonds lodged in his face nine months later.

It still angers me.

Is this also the one where Bond parachuted off a cliff into wind surfing a giant wave? Or that freaking laser that might set off the landmines between North and South Korea?

God...I don't know anymore...I really had a deep hatred for this series during Brosnan's run.

I'm back onboard now but during his run it was like a parody. It was worse than Austin Powers because it tried to come off as serious and not just schtick like Austin Powers.

I may have to go back and try to watch that run again...hopefully time has healed those wounds.

I still want to run up and slap someone on the street...anyone...HARD...and yell, "THAT was for casting Remington F'ING Steele!!!"
We had that on last night and my 12 y.o. boy asks at the scene with Halle Barry and the lasers "Why don't they just kill her?" Smart kid.

Capella said:
SLIDE WHISTLE!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Not to be outstaged in the Bond director "I give up, this script is incredibly dull and stupid" hall of shame ... until Tarzan.
:lmao: :lmao: The Tarzan call. Yeah, totally forgot about that in Octo#####. Hmmm, maybe my 10 year-old self's sense of "entertainment" may be clouding my judgement on that movie.

Still love the super cheesy theme song from that one. "We're an all time hiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Youtube of slide whistle? I'm drawing a blank and I feel like I've seen all these.
I'm gonna bet that they used two cars to do this. One to show the leaving the ramp and one to show the landing. The one that they sent out off the ramp to start was unmanned and just ended up in the river. The second likely was done from an elevated height and maybe on some sort of curve, or they let the front left drive keep on the gas while the right side of the car had the road run out and it was flat. They shot is a cutaway and isn't a complete shot of the whole sequence, or could have been stitched together with the technology at the time (Think parent trap).

maybe

Capella said:
SLIDE WHISTLE!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Not to be outstaged in the Bond director "I give up, this script is incredibly dull and stupid" hall of shame ... until Tarzan.
:lmao: :lmao: The Tarzan call. Yeah, totally forgot about that in Octo#####. Hmmm, maybe my 10 year-old self's sense of "entertainment" may be clouding my judgement on that movie.

Still love the super cheesy theme song from that one. "We're an all time hiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
I can't complain. I was 13 and my take away on that movie was I need to figure out how to make that yo-yo saw work.

Users who are viewing this thread