What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just acquired Portis. (1 Viewer)

notoriousbob

Footballguy
I won't get into what I gave for him, but let's just say I'm happy with the move. All I know is he came on strong last year when Brunel got the offense moving, and has been high on most every 06 RB list I've seen. The Redskins have a new OC in Saunders, right? Most of the Redskins spending has been on Def, but that can help CP out too right? Any other reasons I should be excited? I don't know much about the Skins.

Because you, sir, are a genius and are only capable of making good moves...

Have you ever made a bad move?

Please, don't make me laugh, you only make good ones...

Wow, that was a one-of-a-kind move. I just can't describe how I feel about that move ...

I don't want to get into the trade, but I am interested to hear what folks think about Portis's situation and why he is being projected as a top 5 back for 06. What I gave up for him is not supposed to be discussed in this forum. That is for the AC forum as I understand it. Dolfan is right though...

I don't want to get into the trade, but I am interested to hear what folks think about Portis's situation and why he is being projected as a top 5 back for 06. What I gave up for him is not supposed to be discussed in this forum. That is for the AC forum as I understand it. Dolfan is right though...
Nicely played.

Well, Portis finished last year as RB6. This year, they've added an OC whose ground game averaged 29 rushing TDs the last four seasons. It's also an OC who will probably throw more passes to the RB than Portis had last year. They've improved their passing attack by adding a couple WRs that should open the field up a little more.

Basicly, he was RB6 last year and everything that has happened in the offseason should help him.

Well, Portis finished last year as RB6. This year, they've added an OC whose ground game averaged 29 rushing TDs the last four seasons. It's also an OC who will probably throw more passes to the RB than Portis had last year. They've improved their passing attack by adding a couple WRs that should open the field up a little more.

Basicly, he was RB6 last year and everything that has happened in the offseason should help him.
Exactly. Portis' upside is through the roof right now, and he has a very good shot at meeting that potential. He is RB4 for me right now and he may even end up at the top of the heap over the next few years.

:goodposting: Plus he didn't score a TD his first 5 weeks then scored 12 (one passing) the rest of the way. Hopefully he can keep up the later pace.

Also, the five RBs ahead of Portis last year were: SA, LJ, LT, Tiki, and Edge. Almost everyone believes Edge will fall and quite few believe Tiki will, too. That puts Portis at RB4 unless you see someone else jumping ahead of him.

I see about 10 rb's jumping ahead of him this year. But his wigs seemed to work second half last year. So who knows whats in store? I wouldn't get your hopes to hi and I would definatly shoot for Betts, and maybe even Cartwright. 50-50 your need them before week 5.

I see about 10 rb's jumping ahead of him this year. But his wigs seemed to work second half last year. So who knows whats in store? I wouldn't get your hopes to hi and I would definatly shoot for Betts, and maybe even Cartwright. 50-50 your need them before week 5.
Portis has never missed much time since he has been in WSH. He's played banged up before, but what would lead you to belive he will be done by week 5??

Also, the five RBs ahead of Portis last year were: SA, LJ, LT, Tiki, and Edge. Almost everyone believes Edge will fall and quite few believe Tiki will, too. That puts Portis at RB4 unless you see someone else jumping ahead of him.
My belief is that Portis will be a top 3 RB next year so long as he does not get injured. Great move to get him, I don't really care what you gave up. He is young, talented and in a near perfect situation now! :thumbup:

I think this is the guy that he got Portis from

That's what I'm talkin' about. Does all of this blow up if Campbell is forced into action at QB? Hopefully he will be ready, because Brunell is a concern for a full season. I will definitely be investing in a Betts handcuff.

Well, Portis finished last year as RB6.  This year, they've added an OC whose ground game averaged 29 rushing TDs the last four seasons.  It's also an OC who will probably throw more passes to the RB than Portis had last year.  They've improved their passing attack by adding a couple WRs that should open the field up a little more.

That's what I'm talkin' about. Does all of this blow up if Campbell is forced into action at QB? Hopefully he will be ready, because Brunell is a concern for a full season. I will definitely be investing in a Betts handcuff.
You can say that about any RB in the entire NFL. What happens if Trent Green goes down?? Do 10 RB automatically leapfrog LJ?? Rivers is starting in SD this year, is LT2 now the 11th ranked RB???

Does all of this blow up if Campbell is forced into action at QB?  Hopefully he will be ready, because Brunell is a concern for a full season. I will definitely be investing in a Betts handcuff.
notoriousbob,#1) I don't think anybody can realistically address your concern that I've bolded in blue.

#2) I'd definitely handcuff Betts to Portis in the later rounds of your draft, depending on the roster size of your league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portis is a great RB prospect for a fantasy owner, and should definitely be taken in the top 5 in any draft, dynasty or redraft. IMO, whoever gets the best player in a trade usually wins, so unless you gave up Shaun, LT, or LJ for him, it was probably a pretty good trade. He gets tons of touches, is used at the goal line, can take it the distance on every play, and is in a run first offense. With Saunders going there, he has an excellent chance of being a top 5 RB unless injured. I don't think Campbell will be the starter until he is ready, and if he does start, that will just increase the Redskins' reliance on Portis. It may hurt him a little if Campbell isn't successful, but he will still be a solid #1. His high floor and high ceiling make him a very valuable player.

Who are the 10 rbs you see jumping ahead of Portis this year?M

I see about 10 rb's jumping ahead of him this year. But his wigs seemed to work second half last year.  So who knows whats in store?    I wouldn't get your hopes to hi and I would definatly shoot for Betts, and maybe even Cartwright.  50-50 your need them before week 5.
I think this is the guy that he got Portis from
:lmao:

I love Portis this season, I think he has an excellent shot at a top 5 finish. However, I'm a little concerned with the QB situation. Can Brunell hold up for another season, and if they go to Campbell....how will he perform? That all being said, I really like CP's situation, Al Saunders should get Portis involved even more in the offense, and they upgraded the WR corp, so that should open the running lanes a little more.

My current top 10.....

1.Shaun Alexander

2.Larry Johnson

3.Clinton Portis

4.Tomlinson

5.Tiki Barber

6.Edge James

7.Duece McAllister

8.Rudi Johnson

9.Steven Jackson

10.Lamont Jordan

If you start a separate thread asking why giving up certain guys was a good idea, then I think you'll be fine with the Assistant Coach Forum Nazi's. :thumbup:

I have my reservations about Portis this year. This is more based off of Brunnell/Campbell being able to pick up and master Saunder's system. I would think there will be some type of learning curve that will prohibit the Skins from being the Rams/Chiefs this year. I would not take him in the top 5 this year.

I have my reservations about Portis this year. This is more based off of Brunnell/Campbell being able to pick up and master Saunder's system. I would think there will be some type of learning curve that will prohibit the Skins from being the Rams/Chiefs this year. I would not take him in the top 5 this year.
That learning curve didn't seem to faze Kurt Warner or Trent Green in 1999. The truth is that this system is about as QB friendly as it gets in the NFL. Dennis Green ran a variant of it in Minnesota, and a parade of QB's came through there and had in some cases (e.g. Cunningham in 1998; George in 1999) jaw-dropping numbers.

I'm more worried about Brunell's health than I am about his ability to learn this system. After all, it's effectively the same system as Gibbs was already running, just with some tweaks and updates apparently.

Great trade. I own Portis in 6 dynasty leagues. Kid will be the #1 back either this year or next year. I really believe that. Just watch how hard he runs this year. He blocks, he catches, he can do it all.

Didn't read through all the posts here but.......

Coming from a Cowboys fan, this is really painful to say but I think Portis is going to be huge, maybe even fighting for the number 3 spot with Alexander. Portis has been solid the last couple of years, he has just been doing it quietly. Portis has the best coaching staff around him that he has ever seen. They will create new ways to get him the ball and I think he will have his best season as a pro, even better than in Denver.

Also, the five RBs ahead of Portis last year were: SA, LJ, LT, Tiki, and Edge.  Almost everyone believes Edge will fall and quite few believe Tiki will, too.  That puts Portis at RB4 unless you see someone else jumping ahead of him.
can't see Edge falling..new stadium + big contract = MEGA carries for Edge...the new stadium means you've got to attract people to come to the games..when you have an all-time great like Edge playing for YOUR team, you'll be more inclined to go watch him..they're going to run him into the ground..how can you cover the guy?? opposing secondaries will have to stay on boldin and fitz..that offense is sick. they did well in stats last year,despite the lack of any kind of running game..

I'd put Portis in at #3, OVERALL..Tomlinson got nicked up a bit last year, and only recorded five 100-yard games, while Portis recorded NINE 100-yard games ..and thats before OC Al Saunders came to town...

you'll see a HUGE spike in Portis' numbers this year...he should see his ypc avg go up to about 5 yards per carry..he's one of the only RB's in NFL history to go over 1500 yards in 3 of his first 4 seasons..he'll do it again in 2006..this is going to be his banner year..20+ rushing tds ( going by Saunders history of rushing TDs for RBs), 40+ catches, 1750+ yards...washington's line isn't nearly as good as the

chiefs line is, but Portis is faster than 99.9% of the players in the NFL..

Last edited by a moderator:
This off-season I traded Portis away, I've had him since his rookie season. I got T.Holt/B.Westbrook/2007 1st round pick for Portis and I'm still uneasy about letting him go. With LT, LJ, and Rudi on my roster Portis pretty much sat on the pine.

He'll be missed. :(

Users who are viewing this thread