What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just got to relive part of 1981 (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
Amazon Prime is now carrying a movie I haven't seen in over 40 years, American Pop. I clicked 'Watch Now' almost immediately.

For me, the years 1978-81 still have a certain feel to them as a specific era, and I miss them terribly. Video arcades, midnight movies, becoming old enough to be left at the mall/wander outside my neighborhood without my parents, and a pop culture that was fresh and innovative to me, like Larry David and Michael Richards on the TV show Fridays, for example. The world felt appealing, and I was just getting to the age where I was old enough to be a part of it.

American Pop as a movie has its limitations; the plot played on common tropes, didn't really tell any new stories and spent most of its budget on the animation. Nevertheless, it had one moment that stuck with me over the years and I while I forgot most of the events/scenes of the movie itself, I always carried with me the idea that I liked this movie and wanted to see it again. Maybe I'm just not cultured enough, but I enjoyed it more this time than I did the first time, mainly because I appreciate now the work that went into the animation this time as well as the animation itself. Also, as a fan of at least one of director Ralph Bakshi's other movies, Wizards, I probably had a soft spot for it going into it this time.

I don't know if anyone else has seen or even remembers this movie, but I'd love to hear from those who do, and/or have similar feelings about that time frame.

I am not familiar with this movie, but if you find yourself back in '81, tell Laura M. that I am sorry.

American Pop is an animated film from the mind of Ralph Bakshi, the genius who also brought us the 70's trippy movie Wizards. This film follows 4 generations of one family, starting with the immigrants who fled the Cossacks in Russia near the turn of the 20th century through the late 70s. A Forrest Gump-esque trip through American History, culminating with a final breakthrough into pop music. As I said in my first post, most of the budget appeared to go into the animation/visuals and left a lot of exposition up to the minds of the viewers, and it goes at a pretty brisk pace which keeps anyone not familiar with some of the details of the times (such as The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire) lost regarding the connection to actual history portrayed in the film. I have the advantage of having been emotionally stunted at age 11 in 1977, so that I viewed it then and now with wider eyes than most. I forgave a lot of the plot weaknesses due to being duly impressed by the work that went into and execution of the visuals, so that it remains a movie I'm glad I watched and will enjoy watching again yet not expecting it to be anything more than what it is--a quick romp through already covered history through a specific lens that took some liberties while staying mostly faithful to history.

p.s.: Laura says there's nothing to forgive; you were both kids at the time.

Never saw it. I tapped out on Bakshi after his version of The Lord of the Rings. Teenage Eephus thought Wizards was pretty cool though.

I jumped back on the Bakshi bandwagon big time in the late 80s with Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. I loved that show. It had a unique visual style and anarchistic humor like the Looney Tunes. It was a giant leap from the Hanna Barbera crap available when I was growing up.

Watching Mighty Mouse now takes me back to being newlyweds circa 1987 when Mrs. Eephus and I would wake up on Saturday mornings to watch Pee Wee's Playhouse and Mighty Mouse. I knew then that I'd chosen wisely. Then we had kids and Saturday mornings were ruined.

Last edited:
Loved Wizards... I remember American Pop coming out and feel like I saw it, but don't remember it at all.

Went to see Heavy Metal for my 13th bday. my mom dropped a group of us off at the movie theater in downtown san francisco and took off, coming back to get us after the movie was. except... it was R rated- and they wouldn't let us in. a small group of 13 yo suburban boys with 2 hours to kill in downtown SF. fortunately, there was a gaming store called Gambit's Choice or something similar... we spent the entire time there looking at D&D stuff. and pissing off the employees.

It looks similar in animation to Heavy Metal which came out about the same time.
Both films used the technique called rotoscoping to add a more life-like effect to their animation. Wizards did that in parts too IIRC. Loved Heavy Metal.

Loved Wizards... I remember American Pop coming out and feel like I saw it, but don't remember it at all.

Went to see Heavy Metal for my 13th bday. my mom dropped a group of us off at the movie theater in downtown san francisco and took off, coming back to get us after the movie was. except... it was R rated- and they wouldn't let us in. a small group of 13 yo suburban boys with 2 hours to kill in downtown SF. fortunately, there was a gaming store called Gambit's Choice or something similar... we spent the entire time there looking at D&D stuff. and pissing off the employees.
The multiplex at the mall closest to my house used to show movies at midnight, and Heavy Metal was part of their rotation, along with Wizards, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Flesh Gordon, The Warriors and at least Rocky Horror among others. One of my first drinking experiences--and a bad one at that, partially took place there during this era, culminating in my vomiting into a popcorn bucket and then passing out during a showing of Holy Grail, but that's a whole other story.

I don't recall seeing this, but yes I have similar feelings about my childhood. Just a few years later than what you are talking about, around 82-86.

It looks similar in animation to Heavy Metal which came out about the same time.
Both films used the technique called rotoscoping to add a more life-like effect to their animation. Wizards did that in parts too IIRC. Loved Heavy Metal.

The multiplex at the mall closest to my house used to show movies at midnight, and Heavy Metal was part of their rotation, along with Wizards, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Flesh Gordon, The Warriors and at least Rocky Horror among others. One of my first drinking experiences--and a bad one at that, partially took place there during this era, culminating in my vomiting into a popcorn bucket and then passing out during a showing of Holy Grail, but that's a whole other story.

Would like to add Kentucky Fried Movie to the late night movie list. "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed (puked) in, film at 11."

Would like to add Kentucky Fried Movie to the late night movie list. "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed (puked) in, film at 11."
One of my favorite sequences:

Loo: And who are they?
Dr. Klahn: Refuse, found in waterfront bars.
Loo: Shanghaied?
Dr. Klahn: Just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.
Prisoner #1: Where are we?
Prisoner #2: I don't care!
Loo: And these?
Dr. Klahn: These are lost drunken men who don't know where they are, but do care! And these are men who know where they are and care, but don't drink.
Prisoner #3: I don't know where I am?
Prisoner #4: And I don't drink!
Dr. Klahn: Guards! [to prisoner] Do you care?
Prisoner #5: No.
Dr. Klahn: Put this man in cell #1, and give him a drink.
Guard: What do you drink?
Prisoner #5: I don't care.

This clip always cracks me up more than it probably should

Samuel L. Bronkowitz put out some great films in the 70's.

One of my favorite sequences:

Loo: And who are they?
Dr. Klahn: Refuse, found in waterfront bars.
Loo: Shanghaied?
Dr. Klahn: Just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.
Prisoner #1: Where are we?
Prisoner #2: I don't care!
Loo: And these?
Dr. Klahn: These are lost drunken men who don't know where they are, but do care! And these are men who know where they are and care, but don't drink.
Prisoner #3: I don't know where I am?
Prisoner #4: And I don't drink!
Dr. Klahn: Guards! [to prisoner] Do you care?
Prisoner #5: No.
Dr. Klahn: Put this man in cell #1, and give him a drink.
Guard: What do you drink?
Prisoner #5: I don't care.

That movie had some great scenes and like any other R rated movie in the late 70s, plenty of T and A.

When the prisoners were running around and the guy with the blinking red light on his hat and megaphone sounding the alarm... "GONG GONG GONG"

This one also always cracked me up

I like to use that line when talking about my grandkids.

This was a cool time to come of age because we were just making the leap in technology and mass media - Star Wars / arcades / first consoles / early computers / music videos... I graduated high school in 84, and it was like the first half of my childhood (until 11, which would be 77) was black and white, then we emerged into technicolor OZ.

Last edited:
This was a cool time to come of age because we were just making the leap in technology and mass media - Star Wars / arcades / first consoles / early computers / music videos... I graduated high school in 84, and it was like the first half of my childhood (until 11, which would be 77) was black and white, then we emerged into technicolor OZ.
I was 11 also in '77 and that was when I stopped growing up. Star Wars, Smokey and the Bandit in the theaters and the Atari system for Christmas. There was nowhere else to go from there but down.
For some reason you just reminded me of the movie "Midnight Madness" that I haven't seen in ~40 years and have to go find now.
Quirky movie but a fun romp. Fun fact: Andy Tennant, who was one of the more obnoxious guys (Melio) on the obnoxious team, went on to become a director. Some TV, including episodes of The Wonder Years, Parker Lewis Can't Lose and The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., as well as feature films including Sweet Home Alabama and Hitch. He was also a background dancer in Grease AND Grease 2.

:bag:

Reactions: jwb

Pretty much ALL Bakshi movies use rotoscoping heavily. Wizards, Pop, LoTR, Cool World, etc. (Not sure on Fritz, although if true that would be....interesting, I suppose. They certainly did paint overs on photographs for the backgrounds, at least. )

Nipples.

Users who are viewing this thread